Orioles give Ponson to the Giants for dogshit...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 29, 2002
i like the trade. sabean has never made a bad trade. NEVER. even the ortiz trade saved them 3 million. look at that prospect they traded a few years back. I cant remember his name, he was the giants #1 prospect but he aint no where to be found

Jul 3, 2002
Well just look what happened with Schmidt. We traded Armando Rios, and someone else who I can't even remember for Schmidt from the Pirates. So I'd have to agree Sabean knows what hes doing.

May 19, 2002
www.cdbaby.com
That Ortiz was a bad trade!! U see what ortiz is doin now?? If u still had him then u wouldnt have needed to get Ponson, and u would still have Ainsworth idiot!! Think about it!! Aint no GM perfect!! But again well see what happens!! But I think he has made atleast to bad trades this year alone!! GOT EM!!!

skitz

Sicc OG
May 9, 2002
Re: For the Haters

TONE DOG THE 01 said:
Overall great trade for the Giants. The only question mark is that Ainsworth looks like he will be a good pitcher in about 2-3 years....But we need to win NOW!

^^ thats true...we need to win NOW!...I know ainsworth would be good but thats gunna be in a few years

May 10, 2002
I guess after looking at it further, the trade works well for both teams provided that the Giants can sign Ponson next year.....He did just turn down a 3 year 21 mil contract from the O's......

The Giants needed a starter that could put them over the top and help them down the stretch and I know Ponson could do that for em.....and the O's could possibly have 3 solid starters in the long run......I guess it was a little more than dogshit after all.....

May 8, 2002
KINGCZAR said:
Ainsworth will be good next year!! He was good this year until he got hurt!! Dont discredit the man because u traded him!! Hahaha!! Tryin to downplay him because hes gone now!!Try again!! GOT EM!!!
No one knows if Ainswoth will be able to pitch the same again! He's out for the season with a cracked shoulder on his throwing arm and who knows how that will heal! Maybe the Giants and their trainers know something that we dont! He a young pitcher that hasnt really been proven yet but had alot of promise before the injury. But I have to agree with you Czar for the 1st time that the Giants made a bad move by trading Ortiz! We still are going to win the World Series though!

Check this story out...

Ponson's arrival shows Giants want to win -- now

by Larry Beil
July 31, 2003

Barry Bonds went where no man had gone before on Wednesday, and on Thursday, Giants general manager Brian Sabean made a move designed to get San Francisco to a place where its Giants have never been before -- World Series champions.

It was another Barry being Barry moment in Chicago. Batting practice at Wrigley Field. Bonds crushed a ball clear out of the park, across Sheffield Avenue and right through the window of a brick house across the street. Nobody had ever done that. Less than 24 hours later, the story was Brian being Brian, making a 3-for-1 trade with Baltimore that brought the Giants flame-throwing Sidney Ponson. If this were the World Series of Poker, this deal was the equivalent of Sabean pushing all of his chips to the middle of the table. Ponson's arrival tells you the Giants are serious about winning that other World Series.

The notion that the Giants would emerge as serious contenders to return to the October classic seemed absurd not too long ago. Flash back to October. Just after losing Game 7 in Anaheim, the Giants and their fans trudged into Pac Bell Park to celebrate what was a remarkable season. Well, they called it a celebration. It was agony, frustration, exhaustion and disbelief all rolled into one. Like a Gray Davis pep rally. Team owner Peter Magowan was in tears and so was then-manager Dusty Baker.

Magowan cried because his dream had been destroyed by the Rally Monkey and his followers. Baker cried because he knew he was standing on the field in San Francisco as manager of the Giants for the last time. Soon, Baker would be in Chicago, and the Giants would be left with a Golden Gate Bridge-sized crisis. Who in the world could fill the managerial void?

Retread candidates were everywhere. But Sabean didn't want a Michelin. He wanted an Alou. It took only one meeting to decide that 67-year-old Felipe Alou still had enough fire in his belly to replace Baker. The fact that Alou played for the Giants 40 years earlier made him a perfect fit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Which led to the next crisis: Who would be playing for Alou? The Giants had to plug four new starters into their everyday lineup. They needed bats to protect forever-young Barry Bonds and to replace Jeff Kent. They needed a leadoff hitter and more power. Speed would be nice too. This was an engine overhaul that needed to be done at 65 mph.

No sweat. Marquis Grissom, Ray Durham, Jose Cruz Jr. and Edgardo Alfonzo were signed as free agents, and Sabean's Giants have been in first place every single day this season.

But this is not about the regular season. Ponson was brought in to win in October -- to get these Giants where they've never been before.

May 10, 2002
TONE DOG THE 01 said:

No one knows if Ainswoth will be able to pitch the same again! He's out for the season with a cracked shoulder on his throwing arm and who knows how that will heal!
Doctors expect him to make a full recovery.....I heard that he could even be back as early as September......Scott Schowenweis had the same injury and came back and won 18 games the next season.....so.....

May 8, 2002
BornSin said:

Doctors expect him to make a full recovery.....I heard that he could even be back as early as September......Scott Schowenweis had the same injury and came back and won 18 games the next season.....so.....
But the Giants need to win Now! You cant go into the post season and start a guy coming off injury! Then when he loses it for he becomes the most hated man in Frisco! The boy is good but like I keep sayin we were tryin to make up for the Russ trade. ESPN and many baseball anylists think it was a great move to win a World Series so we will see how it turns out!