non-white spider-man?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I guess it would be possible, but I would argue that Shaft's race is pretty important to his character. He was specifically created as a black James Bond. Certainly more than Spiderman - so if nothing else it is a terrible choice of example.

Spiderman being a teenager is central to his character, at least initially, but not his race. His age is just as important to the character as Shaft’s race. I think you could make Shaft in his 20’s as long as he was black, just like you could make Spiderman black just as long as he was a teenager.

Mar 16, 2005
I guess it would be possible, but I would argue that Shaft's race is pretty important to his character. He was specifically created as a black James Bond. Certainly more than Spiderman - so if nothing else it is a terrible choice of example.
I dont see it being poor in example at all. Ever since day 1 Spiderman is and always has been white...look at the comics. If this is based off the comics (which it is hence the title Spiderman) then you have to make him to character.

Make an original superhero movie with a black actor cast as lead I would have ZERO problems with it, but to change something that has clearly been a certain color character since day 1 and everyone knows it,thats my only problem with it.

I hate remakes, and this is part of the reason why. if you are going to remake it then remake it right, if you are going to "remake it" but change certain aspects espcially main character, then just write an orginal screenplay.

Apr 25, 2002
Make an original superhero movie with a black actor cast as lead I would have ZERO problems with it, but to change something that has clearly been a certain color character since day 1 and everyone knows it,thats my only problem with it.

Does him being white have any central importance to the character? In my opinion the colors of his costume are more important than him being white.

Back when Spiderman was created there were barely any black superheroes anyway. And there were none with their own stand alone series.

But again, why other than tradition should he be white? And does breaking the tradition do any harm to the actual character?

Spiderman is spiderman because of his powers and his costume, not because he's white under there right? Or is he really only spiderman cuz he's white?

Mar 16, 2005
Does him being white have any central importance to the character? In my opinion the colors of his costume are more important than him being white.

Back when Spiderman was created there were barely any black superheroes anyway. And there were none with their own stand alone series.

But again, why other than tradition should he be white? And does breaking the tradition do any harm to the actual character?

Spiderman is spiderman because of his powers and his costume, not because he's white under there right? Or is he really only spiderman cuz he's white?
I can see what you are saying (esp bolded part), but I will reiterate what I said. If you are going to remake something you remake it to what it has always been. if you are going to change any part (much less main character) be a little more craetive and make a new screenplay is all im saying.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
^I'm against any remakes personally. Although I would have to disagree with staying as close to the original formula too much, then you aren't REmaking it at all. That would be a sequel, or god forbid that awful shot for shot "remake"(reshoot) of Psycho with vince vaughn. Also I don't care what race a character is as long as the film is good.

Apr 25, 2002
If you are going to remake something you remake it to what it has always been. if you are going to change any part (much less main character) be a little more craetive and make a new screenplay is all im saying.

So your problem is not with a remake/reboot of spiderman it is with remakes/reboots in general?

Does it bother you when comics reimagine characters, change their origin stories, etc? Or is this a problem with movies only?

Mar 16, 2005
^I'm against any remakes personally. Although I would have to disagree with staying as close to the original formula too much, then you aren't REmaking it at all. That would be a sequel, or god forbid that awful shot for shot "remake"(reshoot) of Psycho with vince vaughn. Also I don't care what race a character is as long as the film is good.
what???

No, a sequel is a new screenplay with the same characters as a previous movie.

either way making spiderman black would neither be a remake or a sequel.

but yes i am against remakes as well in general as a whole.

Mar 16, 2005
So your problem is not with a remake/reboot of spiderman it is with remakes/reboots in general?

Does it bother you when comics reimagine characters, change their origin stories, etc? Or is this a problem with movies only?

yes mostly with remakes in general but again if you are going to remake make it close to orignal.

and in regards to comics themselves. i'm not a huge comic reader but anytime I have seen (maybe it has been done where i havent seen) an origin change in story or a character reimage they still stayed true to original in majority of looks.

If yo uare going to change character be it in book, comic or film you may as well make it completely different and brand a new character not be so uncreative.

Mar 16, 2005
here let me re-phrase my point and see if this makes more sense in what im trying to say.

Correct, who is to say there isnt an african american spiderman.......but if they call the character in non spidy form peter parker he should be white...if they make the character say John White, then make him whatever fucking color you want him to be. But Peter Parker is a nerdy white guy always has been, always should be.

Apr 25, 2002
Correct, who is to say there isnt an african american spiderman.......but if they call the character in non spidy form peter parker he should be white...if they make the character say John White, then make him whatever fucking color you want him to be. But Peter Parker is a nerdy white guy always has been, always should be.
I would say Peter Parker's character doesn't have anything to do with him being white. Nerdy teenager, sure. That is important. But he could be a black nerdy teenager just as easy.

I will grat you this - if they make a black spiderman AND THEN make his race central to the character THEN I would agree that it mattered and was a poor choice.

I think if they would have used magic marker on Toby Mcguire to make him non-white it wouldn't have changed the Spiderman movies any. I don't recall them every saying "Yo Pete you fuckin nerd ass cracka get over here".