non-white spider-man?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
Last week, we reported about five actors rumored to be on the shortlist to play Peter Parker in Marc Webb’s Spider-Man reboot. The website io9 ran an editorial about why they didn’t want yet another white guy superhero–a sentiment I couldn’t agree with more. The people in the comments section of the editorial came up with a sixth name that should be on the list: Donald Glover (Community, Mystery Team). Glover is charismatic, funny, and age-appropriate for the role. He’s also a huge fan of the character. In response, the actor/writer/comedian began a Twitter campaign for the chance to audition for the role. Tonight #donald4spiderman became the third-highest trending topic on Twitter. The Facebook campaign has also amassed over 3,000 fans and climbing.

For more of my thoughts on why casting Glover would make the Spider-Man reboot worth it, hit the jump.

image via iamdonald.com

I’ve had trouble finding a single person who thinks that Sony’s decision to reboot Spider-Man was a good idea. We’ve heard “Oh, it will be gritty and contemporary” this time, as if the Raimi Spider-Man movies were mindless action films. To cast Glover or any actor who challenges the notion of what Spider-Man has been or can be would provide a reason for this reboot’s existence, elevating it from the cynical cashgrab it currently is.

We ran an editorial last year suggesting that Will Smith would make a good Captain America. The comments section exploded in controversy, even though there was at least some basis in the comics for a black Captain America. I don’t know if fans would accept a non-white Spider-Man, but I don’t really care. It’s not an affirmative-action move. It’s asking the question: is there anything inherently white about Spider-Man’s story? Yes, Stan Lee wrote Peter Parker as a white character, but is there anything about that character’s story that wouldn’t work for a man of any non-white ethnicity?

Even Glover says he shouldn’t be given the part outright, but I agree that he deserves the chance to at least audition. I know studios are scared to do anything risky when it comes to an $80 million movie, but I’m willing to bet there’s going to be a lack of enthusiasm for this reboot if people don’t see anything fresh about it. Casting a young, talented non-white actor for Spider-Man would get people talking about what is currently a movie with no reason to exist.

http://www.collider.com/2010/05/31/spider-man-reboot-donald-glover-twitter-campaign-marc-webb-sony/

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
fuck it, i'm all for it. or shit, will white people complain that they are black washing movies now? i mean look at kingpin and nick fury. i remember when people were getting mad at the idea of will smith being captain america

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
They dont want another white superhero. How about not wanting another remake of a movie??? Why the fuck arent there original movies anymore? Why the FUCK are they remaking this movie series???? 8 years later or whatever the fuck??? is it really necessary??? The hundreds of millions spent on the first series, and the hundreds of millions it made, wasnt good enough??? I just dont get it. The music industry is dead and now the movie industry is too.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
sony is about to lose the rights if they dont act fast so they are rebooting it.

contracts and corprate big wigs are rapping my childhood dreams

how did that get started anyways? someone just made that cartoon?>

Mar 18, 2003
I remember a couple folks going "The Kingpin isnt black!"
My only response and I still feel its valid

"The Kingpin can be whatever color he fucking wants! Hes the Kingpin!"
I disagree with actor they chose for the part of bein kingpin. If they wanted any guy play him should Been SUGE KNIGHT. Atleast he looks like the REAL KINGPIN

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I'd say Ray Lewis before Polamalu

I have no problem with colors being changed, a black captain america would be dope, however Thor should remain white....I wouldn't wanna see any other race with blonde hair

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
They dont want another white superhero. How about not wanting another remake of a movie??? Why the fuck arent there original movies anymore? Why the FUCK are they remaking this movie series???? 8 years later or whatever the fuck??? is it really necessary??? The hundreds of millions spent on the first series, and the hundreds of millions it made, wasnt good enough??? I just dont get it. The music industry is dead and now the movie industry is too.
Their creativity is dead, but certainly not the industry. They make millions, billions...especially now with 3D.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Victim: Spidey help!! help!! the guy just stole my purse!!

Spidey: Bitch dont you see Im downing a tall can of OE right now, its not like you had $1000 in that shit ho