Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Ready to Regroup

http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=2378

It’s not easy picking yourself up and dusting off the disappointment and embarrassment of a shutout if you’re a football player, or any athlete for that matter.

But the immediate response and growth in bouncing back from a colossal loss separates the true competitor from the weak at heart. In the 49ers case, persistence and hard work have been the current team’s underlying philosophies when it comes to achieving success, and they plan on continuing their fight.

The 49ers have no intentions of being anything but strong this week after putting up a doughnut on the scoreboard against the Chiefs a few days ago in Kansas City. The 1-3 49ers have 12 crucial games left on the 2006 slate, including Sunday’s pivotal home match up against Bay Area foe, Oakland. The group is ready to learn from their mistakes, and take preparations to a new level in the days leading up to their third home contest.

“It’s tough, it’s tough,” running back Frank Gore said after Sunday’s 41-0 loss to AFC opponent Kansas City. “We just have to keep working as a team and try to find out what the problems are, try to correct them and just keep working. We’ll have to try and get back on the page we were on for the first couple of games.”

Heading into last Sunday’s road trip to the Midwest, the 49ers offense ranked fourth in the NFL in total offense. But the unit had trouble sustaining their success, and was only able to muster 10 first downs for 165 yards while giving up five sacks, the most yet in 2006.

Offensively, regaining that momentum against the Raiders defense will be at the top of the team’s “To Do” list. Quarterback Alex Smith will look to a plethora of weapons in receivers Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle, as well as big target tight end Eric Johnson, to get his troops into the red zone, an unchartered territory in Kansas City.

Smith completed 13 passes against the Chiefs for 92 yards, while the ground game yielded just another 92 more. It’s not time to panic by any means, but each individual player will look to film, and practice repetition to correct weaknesses on the line, in the pocket, in ball protection and in the air – essentially every facet on offense.

“We have shown a lot of strides up to this point, and yesterday it was disappointing to play like that and to perform like that, but not to overreact is important,” quarterback Alex Smith said on Monday. “You don’t want to under react either. There’s a fine line there. We need to learn from this and use it as a positive, but it’s not something we need to overreact to and create mass changes.”

The work doesn’t end on offense. San Francisco’s defense gave up some big plays versus the Chiefs including a 28-yard Larry Johnson run and a 34-yard Eddie Kennison receiving touchdown. The unit will look to gain control in the secondary as well as increase the pass rush intensity.
And on special teams, field position will be the name of the game. Against the Chiefs, the 49ers didn’t begin one drive past their own 35-yard line.

Though the team will continue with game planning as usual, head coach Mike Nolan will add a new twist to the Raiders preparation – padded practices on both Wednesday and Thursday. The live action will give the 49ers one more day of real-life pounding and tackling.

The winless Raiders almost pulled off their first victory of the season last week against Cleveland. But the team relinquished a 21-6 lead, dropping their third loss of the season 24-21.

This week, the Raiders also look to earn a significant win, ending a nine-game losing streak that stems from 2005, and ranks as the longest streak in Raiders annals since 1961-62 (19 losses).

The face of Sunday’s game is somewhat different than the two team’s first meeting of 2006 during the second week of the preseason. Behind the mobility of quarterback Aaron Brooks, the Raiders were able to score 23 points and limit San Francisco to just one touchdown at the McAfee Coliseum.

The second time around, the complexity of the Raiders offense will change for the 49ers defense. Quarterback Andrew Walter has taken over starting duties in the absence of Brooks, who has been sidelined with a strained pectoral muscle. To this point, the Raiders offense has struggled in the ground game, and even more surprisingly, in the passing game, where they rank last in the league in passing yards, even with super target Randy Moss on their side.

Moss has just 84 receiving yards and a touchdown to his credit over three games, and will look to have a breakout day on the opposite side of the Bay. 49ers cornerbacks Shawntae Spencer and Walt Harris have another plan though. After giving up a few big plays against the Chiefs, they will look to have Moss covered, contained and quarantined throughout the entire game.

On the ground, the 49ers linebackers will match up with Raiders running backs LaMont Jordan and Justin Fargas. Jordan has also been held to few yards by the Raiders first three opponents in San Diego, Baltimore and Cleveland, averaging just 3.7 yards per carry. Fargas has nine rushes for 90 yards, including a long scamper of 48 yards. But the 49ers defensive front will look to give the struggling Raiders offensive linemen a tiring day in the trenches, infiltrating both the pocket, and running lanes.

Defensively, the Raiders have big names like Warren Sapp and Michael Huff to contend with.49ers veteran guard Larry Allen will make a return to practice this week after missing two games with an injured knee. If Allen can make a recovery and play on Sunday, a matchup between him and Sapp, both former Pro Bowlers, will make for a physical and smash-mouth afternoon. Though Sapp accounts for two of the Raiders four cumulative sacks, the 49ers offensive line is bound and determined to keep Smith off of the ground this week as their cry for redemption.

Patrolling the back for the Raiders is strong safety Michael Huff, who will look to keep the 49ers receivers and tight ends from attaining too many yards after the catch. Huff picked off Smith in the August preseason bout, and returned the theft 44 yards. But Smith has only thrown two picks during the regular season and will make a conscious effort to keep the ball in the hands of his fellow garnet and gold jerseys after a few risky throws into double and triple coverage cost him an interception in Kansas City.

But what may be turn out to be key in the outcome of Sunday’s game is the play on special teams. The 49ers normally consistent unit had a rough mental day last week. The unit missed a field goal, established poor starting field position, muffed a kickoff return and gave up a punt return for a touchdown. Playing mistake-free and pinning Raiders kickoff returning Chris Carr, who ranks fifth in league in returns, deep into Raiders territory will help swing the game in San Francisco’s favor.

But good starting field position will give the 49ers immediate confidence, and opportunity to score early. Giving Smith and the 49ers offense a solid starting point to execute from will be the challenge for return men Maurice Hicks and Brandon Williams, along with their wedge of blockers.

In the end, Sunday’s matchup will be a test for both teams. Playing perfect has never been so important to either side. And while Bay Area bragging rights are the talk of the town, so much more is on the line.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
ACTUALLY CHREE.. LAMONT JORDAN HAD OVER 1,000 YARDS RUSHING LAST SEASON WITH A SHITTY LINE AND ROBERT GALLERY IN THE WRONG POSITION.

SAY WHAT YOU WANT ABOUT THE RAIDERS CHANCES THIS SEASON.. LAMONT JORDAN STILL SHITS ON ANYTHING IN THE NINERS BACKFIELD.
Does you still agree with this?

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
lol i was lookin 4 something earlier, and this came up and i looked thru it, and just wanted to see if the same sentiment was there lol, i think we all know gore wont have as much rush yards, but we shall see the combined yardage he puts up

May 15, 2002
ESPN Insider - 49ers Needs

Wide receiver: It is no secret the 49ers had issues with their receivers dropping more than their share of passes in 2007. With new offensive coordinator Mike Martz on board, you can expect an even greater emphasis on the passing game. He will want receivers who can catch the ball and then advance it after the catch. Top-end speed is not as important as quickness and ability to separate from defenders, but above all, the receivers can't drop passes they should catch.

Offensive tackle: Former first-round draft pick Kwame Harris appears to be on the outs with this staff and last year's first-round pick, Joe Staley, may end up moving to the left side. The 49ers need a massive road grader who can seal off the side or get movement on the goal line at right tackle. With the emphasis on sending as many receivers as possible out in patterns, the two tackles need to be able to protect the QB with little to no help from a TE or RB.

Quarterback: With Martz installing his spread offense, the 49ers will probably open the QB position to all comers. Alex Smith will have a chance to start anew, but Martz is apt to want to bring in a QB he feels will fit his system. Trent Dilfer and Chris Weinke are both in their mid-30s and there is a good chance both will be gone.

Outside linebacker: Last year's first-round pick, MLB Patrick Willis, was a big hit this past season and now San Francisco needs to shore up the OLB positions. Tully Banta-Cain provides good speed off the edge, but lacks the kind of length and stoutness you'd like from your outside 'backer, and while Manny Lawson showed flashes of potential he is still relatively unproven, especially as a blitzing pass-rusher. With just 31 sacks in 2007 the 49ers, who are probably losing Bryant Young to retirement, need to find a pass-rusher.

Defensive end: Both of the 49ers' starting defensive ends, Young and Marques Douglas, are unrestricted free agents and Young is probably going to retire. The 49ers really lack a combination pass-rusher and run-stopper who can fill in for Young on a full-time basis. Douglas is on the undersized side and a big, powerful DE who can play the left side where most teams like to run would be helpful.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
if whoever the niners starting qb ends up being is consistemt, and the o-line gets it together, and the defensive backs step it up a lil and the recievers learn to hold on to the ball, we in the playoffs for sure.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Well, looks like the niners will be pretty active in Free Agency this year... Q & A from Scot McCloughan

Niners GM Scot McCloughan met with the national media today at the NFL scouting combine. Here is the transcript.

Question: Can you update us on the rehab of your two quarterbacks, Alex Smith and Shaun Hill?

McCloughan: "They're both going good. With Alex and the shoulder, he's been back at the complex. The rehab is going the way we want it to. He's back throwing now, which is very good. But it's the process we wanted. With Shaun it was the finger, of course, so it wasn't as severe. But it's all good. Nothing should hold them back once we get to our minicamp and OTAs. They'll both be 100 percent and ready to go."

Question: How much does the addition of all the junior running backs in this draft help the quality and depth of the RB class?

McCloughan: "It did. I think at any position it helps out because of the quality of the juniors that come out. But this is a good year for the running back position, not just for the juniors but the seniors as well. Anywhere from the first round to the seventh to free agency, if you need a running back this is a good year to get one. But the juniors always help out at any position. There are some talented guys out there."

Question: How do you feel about the tight end spot?

McCloughan: "It's a good group. Again, the juniors helped out. But the one thing that's unique this year and I think you'll see it for the future is that with a lot of these college offenses going to three- and four-receiver sets, you're going to see more tight ends flexed out or detached from the line of scrimmage. They're used more as receivers rather than really blocking tight ends. And definitely you'll see guys who are 6-3, 6-3 who in the past were too short for a tight end - they were considered H-backs. I think you'll see more offenses in the NFL going towards using the H-back because of the supply of guys coming out of college these days."

Question: Last year the 49ers were very active in free agency and set the bar high for signings. You had a good draft as well. What is your philosophy for rebuilding the team this year?

McCloughan: "Yeah, it's the same as soon as we got here, coach (Mike Nolan) and myself. The thing about free agency, it's a tool you have to use. We don't want to be considered a free agency team. We want to be able to build through the draft. That way you bring the guys in, you train them the way you want to train them as a football player. I think the one thing you can do and it's been proven out, that free agency is a tool. And it's a valuable tool. With the new CBA and the extension, a lot of teams have money nowadays. It doesn't mean you have to spend it. It's not so much about cap space. I think what we're trying to do and it's been proven out so far and we'll keep doing it - draft well, and identify the guys we want around, and do an extension two weeks prior to free agency. We're lucky enough to have some money in free agency and hopefully we can use it in the best manner for us. But we're going to spend just to spend.

"We're going to identify who we think is a 49er, like what we did last year with Michael Lewis and Nate Clements and those guys. And go after them. We have names that we've already been through, restricted and unrestricted, we have our thoughts and we have our limit. We're not going to just go after one guy just to get him, spend whatever. We have an idea. We have Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. But we'll be involved again. It'd be nice if we could add some good football players."

Question: Are you concerned the amount of money out there will alter the market, raise prices?

McCloughan: "Yeah, it concerns you but you can't worry about it because that's the way the market is. The NFL has gotten to that point now where certain positions, say a guard, say a safety, was thought of as less money for the position. Nowadays, you see last year with the guard spot, that people aren't afraid to pay. It comes back to what you do in the draft, because that's where you get the bang for the buck. If you draft the guys in the third and fourth round and get them locked in for three- or four-year deals, the amount of money you spend on them is much less than in free agency. In free agency, you always overspend."

Question: Have your duties changed at all from last year's combine to this year with the new title of GM? What's different?

McCloughan: "Nothing's changed. The one thing that I really respect about our organization and with coach Nolan is, we've always been in communication. It's not one person doing it. It's a group of people trying to do it. And that won't change. I think we've got enough good people around us in the personnel department and on the coaching side that we're going to try to get it right. There's always been good communication. Nothing's changed."

Question: Why the added designation if nothing has changed?

McCloughan: "From the standpoint of ownership, it's emphasizing, 'You're the head coach; you're the personnel guy.' It's not going to change from the standpoint that I'm going to do anything from a personnel standpoint without having coach involved, whether it's a trade, free agency or the draft. I just think that it has ownership believing in me and what I've done so far, to give me that title. And it's put me in a situation where I can be a general manager."

Question: You've brought a very dynamic offensive coordinator, Mike Martz, into the organization. How much will you rely on his expertise in evaluating talent?

McCloughan: "Quite a bit. We had a very good conversation the other day, about an hour, what he believes. What he wants in his system. The thing I respect about him and coach Nolan and coach Manusky (defensive coordinator) is, they want football players. If we have football players, they'll find a way to get them on the football field. There are not 'requirements' - you don't have to be 6-2, 200 pounds to play receiver - if the guy's a good football player, they're going to find a way to do it. I respect that and I hope as we move forward with coach Martz . . . he's had a lot of production in the NFL, he's had a lot of experience. And he's put up good numbers. Hopefully we can get to that point this year."

Question: Do you see any advantage this year in drafting where you are (No. 29 in the first round)? Less risk, maybe, in picking a skill position player?

McCloughan: "Not necessarily. From the standpoint if you're picking higher, it means your record wasn't as good. But you can never look at it that way. If we're sitting No. 7, there'll be a good player sitting there. I don't think it takes any pressure off. The last two years we've ended up having two first-round picks. You lose some of that leverage having a pick later in the first round - you have to combine more picks to get back up in there. But I don't see any less pressure on us. We're going to do the same thing we do every year, put our draft board up, go through the whole process and pick a good player at 29."

Question: This is a deep class for wideouts. When you look at it, do you have a projection of how many may go in the first round?

McCloughan: "Right now, I really don't. A lot of it will be determined here, especially with the underclassmen and the measureables. A lot will come from the medical, how healthy they are. As I touched on earlier with the tight ends, a lot of these college offenses are going to three- and four-receiver sets and guys have a lot of production. You look at the kids who are 'Y's' and they'll have over 100 catches and 1,000 yards. So you're getting a football player that's more ready to play as a receiver because they've had so much production at the college level. It'll be a good group again."

Question: When you look at Tony Ugoh and Joe Thomas, how did they rate?

McCloughan: "When you look at both of those guys, how it played out this year, were good players and you got bang for the buck where you took them. I think this year at tackle it's one of the better classes I've seen, probably, in 10 years. And it's not so much on the inside on the O-line, but at the tackle position. It's a good group of players. It'll be interesting to see how many of them go in the first and second round, but it will be a handful."

Question: Could there be as any as six in the first round?

McCloughan: "I think so."

Question: Why?

McCloughan: "Again, there are positives and negatives, but I like the fact that you see a lot of pass protection the way the (college) offenses are. You see guys as athletes, big body guys who are able to move their feet. You don't see a lot of power anymore - you don't see anybody come off the line of scrimmage and drive blocking. But you can get to that point once you start interviewing them and understand what their mentality is. Each year they're getting bigger, they're getting stronger and they're getting faster. The thing is, they're all in pretty good shape. You don't see the heavyset guys anymore. You see guys coming in at 315, 320 and they have a chance to be 340 and still have their quickness and speed."

Question: How has Martz's systems typically regarded the tight end? As receivers? With Vernon Davis, how does he fit with what Mike wants to do?

McCloughan: "Again, after visiting with coach Martz, he's really excited about having him as a weapon. The one thing I don't want to lose sight of, and people think of Vernon because of his size and speed that he's an athletic receiving tight end. But he's a dang good blocking tight end. He's the whole package as far as we're concerned. Again, the one thing about coach Martz that really intrigues me is he has a vision. He can see what he wants to do with certain guys. And he's excited about putting him into the offense. He'll adjust to what our talent level is and what our personnel is."

Question: How important is the left tackle position?

McCloughan: "It's very important. We've had discussions what our O-line is going to look like next year. The five guys we have right now, we're going to add to it. But it's very important. You want a guy that you don't really talk about. He just goes out on Sundays and he's the guy that gets his job done. You don't hear his name much. And the quarterback is not dropping back worrying about his backside.''

Question: You seem to have made an effort the past two years to move to a 3-4 gradually. Has it worked out that way?

McCloughan: "We're always trying to fill needs from the standpoint that we're always trying to find better football players. Younger and all of that. If you go back and study our defenses, you can't say 3-4 or 4-3. It varies each week depending on the offense we're going against. Again, the one thing that's very intriguing is coach Nolan and coach Manusky, they have a vision and each offense we go against, they adjust it. The best players we have, they're going to be on the field. It's a 3-4 setup that fine. If it's a 4-3, it's going to be that. We don't go into a draft or free agency saying that we have to have this to be a 3-4. We go in saying, 'Let's find a good football player and we'll adjust to what he can do best.''

Question: What do you think about the depth at linebacker and defensive line?

McCloughan: "From my standpoint, and it's just my personal opinion, I think the linebacker depth is a little bit down, especially on the inside. D-line, again, you have those hybrids - the 'tweeners as we call them - that fit us pretty dang good because they're not big enough to be considered a 3-4 or a 4-3 end but they're athletic enough to be considered as a standup linebacker. They haven't done it; usually they come out as an end. It's not as deep as it has been in the past. Again, people always want to talk about the draft and it's not as good as last year, whatever. But there is going to be a good player in every round that is taken and ends up being a good player in the NFL. You just have to identify what you're looking for in certain rounds and you go get that guy."

Question: Is it harder to project a 3-4 inside linebacker in the NFL because of how they teach them in college?

McCloughan: "It's really not. The one thing about linebacker is, the height, weight and speed is all important. But you may be a little bit slower or not as quick but if you have the good instincts, that's easy to see on tape. You have Patrick Willis, he leads the SEC two years in a row in tackles, there's a reason for it. The speed plays into it but also the vision and the knowledge of playing inside. Especially there, there is a lot of instinct."

Question: Is it hard to project shotgun quarterbacks?

McCloughan: "It really is. We saw that when Alex (Smith) came out. He had been in the Urban Meyer system, always playing in the shotgun. It's changeable, no doubt about it. But it's a process. You've got to get him comfortable underneath the center. You've got to get him used to the 3, the 5, the 7 step drop and the technique that's needed. The one thing we really liked about Alex is, and we're seeing it, is we knew he would do everything in his power to become the typical NFL quarterback from the worth ethic to the intelligence. But it's very tough. A lot of times the (shotgun quarterback) is not reading the defense. The ball is snapped, they have one, two or three reads and they're throwing the ball. They don't care what the defense is in. It can be a 3-4, 4-3, it can be a nickel or dime package, they're worried about getting the ball out quick. And they've got 1-2-3. It's a process they've got to learn and there are guys that come out every year and they're going to be good NFL quarterbacks. You just have to identify what you're looking for.

Question: How important has the Senior Bowl been to your scouting and evaluations the past few years?

McCloughan: "It's one thing that coach and I spoke about when we first got here - it's easy to see tape and say, 'OK, this guy can do this and he can't do that.' We put a lot of emphasis on character, passion, intelligence, work ethic. And I think when you're around them for that week, it gives you a kind of an advantage. When you sit down here, you've got 15 minutes. You deal with 60 guys. You get a little bit out of that, don't get me wrong. But at the Senior Bowl you've got them day-in and day-out, doing what they do best. You've got them in the room, you've got them watching tape, you've got them asking questions. You throw things at them on the field, see how they adjust to certain things. We've been very lucky because we've drafted a lot of guys that we've coached in the Senior Bowl and hopefully this year we'll take advantage of it, too."

Question: Who is the ultimate authority on player selection? Last year it was Nolan. Is it you?

McCloughan: "I wouldn't say that. I'd say it's a combination of both. The one thing that is very good about it is, we've got a very professional relationship and a personal relationship. But neither one is going to back down from what we believe is right. Now, if there is a disagreement, we're going to go back and watch more tape and make sure we get on the same page as much as possible. The one thing about the college draft is, it's not an exact science. The people who are successful will tell you that. You need all the help you can get, you need all the opinions around you. It's not just the head coach but from position coaches and scouts. And that's what coach and I have done. I don't ever see us being so far apart that we won't draft a guy because of that. We'll talk it through.''

Question: So there's never going to be a situation where you think one thing and he thinks another?

McCloughan: "Oh, there will be. There will be. But we'll do enough work before that point, before the draft or free agency happens, that we'll talk it through. I'll see his opinion, he'll see mine and we'll try to put them together. It might be a thing where we say, 'Hey we can't get close enough, let's move on to a different guy and find someone we do agree upon.'"

Question: How tough is it to trade a No. 1 pick?

McCloughan: "The one is very tough to move, depending on what the draft class looks like. The amount of money and what you're investing . . . it's very tough. There is no way around it. You're not going to pass on the pick. And if you can't trade out you've got to take somebody. So you're guaranteed to have to pay so much money. And it's not so much that it's tough on the organization, it's tough on the kid as well. Because they're coming in having not proved anything in the NFL yet and all of a sudden they're the top 5 or 6 at that position with the money that they're getting. Again, that's why it's so important to find the right guy. When we sat at one in the first year we were very excited because we felt we had the chance to find the right guy. And we didn't try to move out of it. Now if we had been there and not found a player with the value we would have made some phone calls. But it's tough to sell some other organization or ownership to 'Come to one,' unless that player is really exceptional. And if that player is exceptional, you're going to take him yourself."

Question: Do you have to sit back and make people come to you?

McCloughan: "Oh, you can. And one thing about us, we've done it not just during the draft process but throughout the season - we've done a lot of trades. There are different tactics that you use. You can get the names out there and they come after you. And some teams are easier to work with. But we've done a lot of trades and we'll keep trading if we have to, if it makes us better as an organization."

Question: Do you see a player you would want No. 1 in this draft?

McCloughan: "I really haven't, from the standpoint of looking at the No. 1 player . . . there are some very talented guys in this draft. And there are guys that are going to be taken up there that are very good football players. The one thing it comes down to, some organizations have the philosophy of 'What position do you take? Do you take a guy who is going to touch the ball on every snap, do you take a guy who's going to touch the ball maybe five times, 10 times a game or do you take a running back who's going to touch it maybe 25 times a game?' So everybody has their own philosophy. The one thing you can't lose sight of is, you're looking for a dang good football player. But you're also looking for an individual who can handle the pressure of being a high pick, financially, in front of the media and the fans outside."

Question: Has a quarterback distinguished himself from this group to be that?

McCloughan: "We have not studied them on tape yet. I like to come down here first and see them live and then go back and do the quarterbacks. There are a handful of good football players and we were lucky enough to have seen them at the Senior Bowl. There are going to be good players who come out of this as quarterbacks. Again, they're all a little bit different. And a lot of this is the spread offense - you look at Louisville, you look at Kentucky. You see what they might be, in Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, being underneath the center."

Question: Is the spread offense impacting how you evaluate talent? So many teams are running it in college now.

McCloughan: "I wouldn't say it impacts it but it makes it tougher for some positions to figure out. Like I was talking about the tight ends; you don't see a tight end on the line of scrimmage now, coming off the block. You see him spread out and running routes. He's more considered a receiver. You don't see a lot of drive blocking from the O-linemen. You see a lot of finesse because of the position. With quarterbacks, again, being in the shotgun all the time. The whole mindset is different than being under center. It's kind of nice when you go watch a college team on tape like USC when you can see an NFL-type offense and then it's like 'Oh, it's easy to see what the guy can or can't do.' It's the same for every team. And the one thing you have to identify is from the standpoint of athleticism, speed quickness and all of that - that is pretty easy to figure out. Then, you have to figure out what kind of person he is, what kind of guy he's going to be, what's he going to do when it's 4th and 2 and he's asked to do this. It's impacted it a little bit but not from a negative standpoint."

Question: Does it force you to favor a guy a little bit that plays in a pro-style offense?

McCloughan: "No. I think it's something that you discuss. It's part of the process. It's on the draft board. 'Do we feel he can be this?' You don't see much on tape but after our interviews, after seeing him work out in person you feel he can do this. It's a little bit of a projection but the entire college draft is a little bit of a projection."

Question: Is Joe Staley moving to left tackle?

McCloughan: "We've talked a little bit about that. We have the luxury to think he can do it, if that's what's best for us, we will do it."

Question: How do you evaluate someone like (Oregon's) Dennis Dixon, who comes in injured, dominated the Pac-10 the way he did but relied on his mobility?

McCloughan: "It's tough. Again, you've seen it the last couple of years and you're going to see it more and more. A lot of these offenses are going to those types of football players. You have to give him credit, he's been productive, he's won a lot of games and there is a reason for it. Then you have to throw in the characteristic of a quarterback - size, arm strength, intelligence. What is he on our level? Is he more of an athlete playing the position or is he a quarterback playing quarterback? The fun thing about those guys is, sometimes they're such good athletes they're not just quarterbacks. They can come in and do something else, maybe play receiver, maybe play running back, maybe play DB. They're tough. Again, you have to get into their psyche - are they wired like a quarterback or are they wired like an athlete?"

Question: A guy like Kevin Smith leads the NCAA in rushing but comes from a small college. Is he tough to figure out?

McCloughan: "No. Absolutely not. A lot of people say it's tougher to figure guys out - it's really not. If a guy produces, a guy produces. And there is a lot of good football out there and he's a good football player. And I think there is a reason why he ran for so many yards. You pay attention to the level of play, especially in Div. II or Div. III. But there are always good football players that come out of there."

Question: You drafted an offensive tackle early last year. What do you think of the class this year?

McCloughan: "The tackle class? I think it's good. I think it's deep. Matter of fact, I think it's the deepest I've seen in awhile, which is really good because everybody is looking for them. You want to draft a young tackle. That's how you want to set your offensive line up. It's a good class, it really is. They're big, they're strong, they're intelligent and they're good football players."

Question: What's the difference between a tackle who can come in and start as a rookie versus one who will take some time?

McCloughan: "It's tough. It's very tough. And the one thing we learned with Joe (Staley), especially was - and it was very nice - mentally and physically, he was so mature. He wasn't given the job. He had to win the job. And he won it. It's a tough position. I think we saw, especially against the Giants this year, Strahan got to him pretty good in the first half. But you saw him adjust and in the second half, he came out and played pretty dang good. And that's tough to get in any young guy, especially the tackle, because you're kind of put out on an island and you're one-on-one and most of the time you're going against a speed and quickness guy that, well, they're slippery. It's really tough for guys to step in early. When they do, they're really the good ones."

Question: Do you see anyone like that this year?

McCloughan: "Oh definitely. I see a handful who can come in right now and play . . . I see six to eight, possibly going in the first round, which is saying quite a bit."

Question: Does all the players getting franchised surprise you?

McCloughan: "It doesn't. Because, again, a lot of teams have the money to do it. I think you're going to see, especially next year and the following year if the CBA is still in place, a lot of teams are going to be taking care of their own guys. And that's why compared to last year's class, this year's is not as deep. That's a luxury we didn't have to worry about this year from a franchise standpoint. It's a good and a bad - it's good if you have that type of player you want to keep around. It's bad in that we don't have him right now. We have the youth, we have some of the older guys but we have nothing in the middle right now."

Question: Does the uncertainty about the labor agreement affect how you do business in the offseason?

McCloughan: "It's business as usual. As a matter of fact, coach and I were talking out there about it. You have a game plan. And you can't control the transition, the franchise tags, the guys re-signing. But we have a plan: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. And we're going to go with it. If one is done, we're doing to two. If two is done, we're doing to three."

Question: You're not letting the prospect of labor unrest affect any of your decision making?

McCloughan: "Absolutely not.''

Question: How would you evaluate the free-agent market that's out there?

McCloughan: "You know it's . . . OK. I think with all the franchise tenders that you're seeing, people have the money to take care of their own guys. So it's not as deep as it has been in the past. And one thing about free agency - you have the big-time names but there are also Tier-2 and Tier-3 guys that come in and if not start, become dang good backups. If they need to play, they could play. And those are the guys you need where you get your bang for your buck. You're not paying him as much as you're paying the big name."

Question: How much does the interviewing process weigh into your evaluation?

McCloughan: "We have a psychologist that sits in on it. She gets quite a bit out of it. We've used her the last two years and it's been very successful, talking to her about it. We know that there is more involved. Our college scouts, they've been following these guys the past two, three, four years and have a lot of background already. We already know that stuff. The 15 minute (interview) is good for the coaches a lot of the time because it's the first time they see him face-to-face, see the body reaction, how they look and talk, do they sit up straight. But we'll get more involved afterward. You're liable to bring in 30 guys and once the combine is over, before the draft. We'll identify some guys that we have some question marks on, and we'll bring them in."

Question: What does the psychologist evaluate?

McCloughan: "A lot of background. How they grew up. The family situation. If there are any dependency situations. Stuff like that. We're trying to get the whole picture of a guy and you can't (get) 100 percent of it. But the more you can get, the better chance you have of making the right pick."

* * THE END * *

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
^ ok thats alot to read besides the bolded part so heres clif notes lol

Here are some of the highlights of GM SCOT McCLOUGHAN's press briefing:

--Alex Smith is back throwing after undergoing shoulder surgery in December. Both Smith and Shaun Hill should be 100 percent for the minicamp, which takes place the weekend after the draft.

--McCloughan might technically have the "final say," but nothing has changed as far as the process to find players. He and Nolan will be on the same page on these decisions.

---McCloughan will rely on Mike Martz's expertise. They have already had conversations about the kind of offensive players that fit that system.

--The 49ers use 3-4 and 4-3 interchangeably, so McCloughan does not look for a certain player to fit a scheme. He's just trying to find the best players. (This is consistent with what he has said in the past.)

--McCloughan said the 49ers did not try to trade that No. 1 pick a three years ago. (That is true. They made no phone calls to shop the pick. But they also made it known through the media that they would be willing to listen to trade offers for the right to select Alex Smith.)

--The club has talked about moving Joe Staley to left tackle. "If that's what's best for us, we will do it," he said.

--McCloughan said the draft class of offensive tackles is the best he's seen in a long time. He said six, possibly eight, tackles will be selected in the first round. (Certainly, the 49ers are in the mix to take one of them. But if the tackle spot is that deep, they might also be able to get a good one at No. 39.)

Here are some of the highlights of COACH MIKE NOLAN's press briefing:

--He agreed that If it comes down to it, yes, McCloughan now has the final say on personnel matters.

--Nolan believes Smith and Hill will pick up Martz's offense quickly because they're both intelligent guys.

--Linebacker Manny Lawson, who tore his ACL during a Week 3 practice, started running recently and looks like he'll be ready to get back on the field for the minicamp.

--Nolan said about the offensive line: "We've got a good line. We didn't perform up to our level last year. Overall, offensively, we didn't, either. But I would expect our offensive line to perform well, and we will continue to always try and build our offensive line. Outside of quarterback, that's our most important position on offense, at least in our eyes it is." (There's a hint why the 49ers recently hired Chris Foerster to coach the offensive line, along with George Warhop. He thought the line under-performed.)

--Nolan compared that offensive-line coaching situation with the situation in the secondary. The 49ers have Johnnie Lynn and Vance Joseph both listed as secondary coaches. (The difference is Lynn is very experienced and has been a coordinator in the NFL, while Joseph is young. With the offensive line coaches, both are experienced coaches.)

--Nolan stated no preference between running a 3-4 and 4-3. "We're about the best players . . . When teams look at us and break us down, they'll see, I don't know if it's a straight 50-50 but it's pretty close to a 60-40 split of 4-3, 3-4 in what we do." (Again, this is consistent with what Nolan has always said. He believes his 3-4 scheme easily transitions into a 4-3. While he says that the typical 4-3 scheme does not transition back to a 3-4 as easily. While I do not have any stats to back up my claim, I think the 49ers played 3-4 at least 75-percent of the time last season when they were in base packages.)

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
According to ESPN, the 49ers are one of three teams that may be interested in acquiring the services of wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad. ESPN states that he "would likely fill the slot in San Francisco, as Mike Martz needs speed and quickness outside."

The other teams that may be interested are the Redskins and Panthers and ESPN seems to feel that a spot in Carolina would make the most sense.