Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Legends Discuss 49ers' Fast Start
http://www.49ers.com/news-and-event...st-Start/8e33322e-0e09-4f75-a0ed-735dd9c3747c

It’s Alumni Week, but it might as well be rivalry week.

That’s how esteemed 49ers legends Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott feel about San Francisco’s upcoming game against the New York Giants this Sunday at Candlestick Park.

The 35th meeting between this year’s current NFC West and East division leaders will be followed closely by both Montana and Lott for a number of reasons.

“There’s going to be a lot of meaning there, whether they realize it or not,” Montana said. “There have been a lot of tough games, a lot of meaningful games, just like this one is going to be.”

Both Hall of Famers visited team headquarters on Tuesday and shared feelings on the success of the 2011 49ers, the rivalry against the Giants and the upcoming induction of Roger Craig and R.C. Owens into the Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. San Francisco 49ers Hall of Fame.

Montana and Lott were both key in the 49ers-Giants rivalry in the late 80s and early 90s.

“That was probably one of our toughest games,” recalled Montana, who was 2-3 as a starter against the Giants in the playoffs from 1981-90. “Back then, they had a pretty good defense and a pretty good front-seven. They pounded the ball out sort of like the 49ers are now, which we didn’t do, but this Sunday is going to be a fun game to watch.”

Lott is equally enthused about the upcoming showdown between the 7-1 San Francisco 49ers and 6-2 New York Giants. The hard-hitting former 49ers defensive back sees the same consistency and toughness from this year’s team that he saw in the 49ers teams he played with.

“What’s amazing to me is not just the consistent football, but now you’re seeing tough football,” said Lott, a member of the NFL’s 75th Anniversary team and 1980s All-Decade team along with Montana. “You’re seeing aggressive football. You’re also seeing that determination of understanding, when you do make a tackle; you’re not allowing someone to get that extra yard.”

Lott, who intercepted 63 passes, was named to 10 Pro Bowls and won four Super Bowls (XVI, XIX, XXIII and XXIV), especially appreciates the tough-minded team the 49ers have become under new coach Jim Harbaugh.

“People are fighting for inches,” Lott said with his signature expression of intensity. “When you see people fighting for inches, it tells you the mentality of what this team’s all about. I follow it. And not only do I follow it since I’ve left, I follow it because you know they have a purpose right now. And that purpose is pretty good.”

The 49ers defense, something Lott knows all about, leads the NFL allowing the fewest points (14.8) and rushing yards (70.8). The unit has yet to allow a single rushing touchdown and has gone 30-straight games without allowing an individual 100-yard rusher.

Stats aside, Lott has been impressed with the hard-hitting nature of the 49ers defense, specifically safety Dashon Goldson, who has recorded interceptions in back-to-back games. The fifth-year pro has also had fans jumping out of their seats whenever he’s delivered a big-hit, which seems to happen on a weekly basis.

“Watching Dashon bring what he’s been able to bring, it’s been fabulous,” Lott said. “That intensity permeates throughout the team. You start to see other guys emulate what he’s trying to do.

“He’s done a wonderful job of not only setting the tempo, but he’s getting people out of their seats. He’s got me out of my seat a number of times.”

Montana, whose expertise falls on the other end of the spectrum, sees great improvements on the 49ers offense. In his mind, having Harbaugh’s West Coast offensive system in place has only benefitted the team’s 7-1 start.

“It’s getting the right people in the right places,” Montana further explained.

The player everyone seems to talk about is Alex Smith and Montana was no different in seeing the improvements made by the 49ers starting quarterback.

In the legendary quarterback’s mind, the talent around Smith as well as the decision-making has paid huge dividends.

Smith is currently ranked sixth in the NFL with a 97.3 quarterback rating and has thrown 10 touchdown passes to just two interceptions.

Besides Smith’s maturity, Montana sees the people around the quarterback all chipping in to make the 49ers offense excel.

“The one beauty about the offense is whenever you get in trouble with this offense it was always about going back to the basics,” Montana said. “With the lack of time, I’m sure it’s about all they’ve put in, and they’re slowly adding stuff. That foundation is what makes this offense go.

“As soon as everyone understands that, they’ve got serious talent on the outside, able to catch balls and make big plays. And the running game, obviously that speaks for itself.”

Montana admitted he was surprised to see the team take off so fast under Harbaugh and his staff, who had a shortened offseason to install their schemes, but was quick to mention that they’re “fun to watch.”

Watching the offense never gets old to Montana, more so now that he’s seeing Smith surrounded by so many talented players on the perimeter, on the line and in the backfield.

“When I watched film before on the team and Alex, when he hits that back foot and he’s able to take a hitch or two and get rid of the ball on time,” Montana said, “he’s such a better quarterback.”

But Montana also recalls watching tape of Smith having nowhere to go with the football on crucial downs. Receivers weren’t open and there weren’t places to dump the ball off. Now he sees Smith trusting the play-makers around him and excelling in an offensive system that has answers for opposing defenses.

“He was stuck in a bad spot,” Montana admitted. “Here, with this offense, once you understand I can throw the ball, I have some great receivers and tight ends that I can get the ball to and can make plays for me, eventually they’re going to make a guy miss, I don’t have to force things. And on top of that you throw the running game in there, then it makes the job a lot easier on the quarterback.”

Also making things easier is the environment in which Smith has been playing these last three months. The family-oriented atmosphere instituted by Harbaugh has been well-received. It’s even being noticed by legends like Montana.

“It teaches you that it takes individual efforts, but it’s not an individual sport. You have to be able to learn and trust the guys next to you. The only way to do that is to be like a family. It’s like your brothers are out there next to you. We’re all going to make mistakes, but we stick together, we play together. We can overcome a lot of mistakes. The other guys are paid to do what we’re doing, too. But it’s who can make the least amount of mistakes.”

So when players on the current team celebrated in the success of their teammates last week in a 19-11 win over the Washington Redskins, Montana could appreciate the collective energy.

It took him back to watching his defenses compete against the game’s great offenses of his era.

“That’s the way it should be. There was nothing more fun that to watch our defense play against guys like (Dan) Marino or (John) Elway,” Montana added. “That was the fun part, because our guys were the best. Getting up and rooting for them, and they were the same way when we were on the field. Yeah, everybody has to take a break and talk to their coach, but as soon as you were done, everyone was back up watching the rest of the team play. That’s what it’s about.”

Current players, coaches, and even alumni, will have a lot invested in Sunday’s meeting with the New York Giants, too.

At halftime, the 49ers will induct two legends into the 49ers Hall of Fame, two men who are near and dear to Montana and Lott.

Lott roomed with Craig on the road and credits him for showing his teammates how to condition themselves to handle the rigors of professional football. Lott also learned first-hand how much football meant to Craig.

“I have the utmost respect for him. Not because of what he did on the football field, but what he did off the field,” Lott said. “Everybody talks about the game of football and what they want in life, Roger was one of those guys who’d go out and earn it.

“He earned every yard. He earned the red blazer that he’s going to get and he’ll soon earn the right to get that yellow jacket. Nobody has done it better than him and he’s just one of the exceptional 49ers to come along in a period when there were some pretty exceptional people.”

Equally as impactful on the 49ers history, legends like Lott know all about the importance of R.C. Owens on the team’s history.

The wide receiver, who played for the 49ers from 1957-61 and worked in the front office for 20-plus seasons, represents the class of the organization better than anyone else.

“I’ve watched R.C. continuing to be a part of this organization, continuing to be a part of something great, continuing something he started when he first put on that uniform,” Lott added. “He’s always done something great in his life, whether it was the first time he made the “Alley Oop” catch or was the first time he was involved in the community. He represents this organization better than any athlete who’s ever put on this uniform. He has gone around and been one of the greatest ambassadors to this organization. He is just an exceptional person.”

Montana, fellow member of the 49ers Hall of Fame like Lott, appreciates both men’s contributions to the proud franchise.

“I think it’s been long overdue,” Montana said. “I think both of them made statements in their own eras. They’re both great additions.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Frank Gore's ankle injury causes San Francisco 49ers little concern
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_19285391

An ankle injury suffered by running back Frank Gore was severe enough to warrant X-rays. However, neither Gore nor 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh on Monday seemed very concerned.

Gore emerged from a 19-11 victory over the Washington Redskins on Sunday with a bothersome ankle, though it wasn't enough to slow him in his march toward a fifth straight 100-yard game rushing.

"I'll be all right," said Gore, who rushed for 107 yards and is third in the league at 782. "I'm cool. Just checking up some things on my body. Yeah, I'll be all right."

Harbaugh said he isn't surprised that several of his players came away from the Redskins game banged up.

"That was a tough, physical game for everybody on our football team," Harbaugh said. "We knew it was going to be that way going in, and it played out that way."

Gore appeared far more comfortable discussing the prospect of playing for a playoff-bound team than his health. He is one of numerous players on the 49ers' 53-man roster who have yet to experience a winning season, let alone a trip to the NFC playoffs.

The 49ers hold a commanding five-game lead in the NFC West at the midpoint of the season. It's conceivable that they could clinch the division title well before December.

"That would be a big thing," defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois said. "Our goal, we're trying not to let another team have to help us get to the playoffs. ... We're trying to secure a playoff spot now, so we don't have to worry about that later in the season."

# Harbaugh's team has the second-best record in the NFL through eight games, yet he isn't saying whether the 49ers have matched or exceeded his expectations.

"I really don't assess it," Harbaugh said of the halfway mark. "We would have liked to have been 8-0 at the midseason point."

The 49ers are a play away from being undefeated. Their lone loss came in overtime against the Dallas Cowboys in a game in which they led by 10.

Jean Francois said he envisioned the 49ers being this good, even if few others did.

"A lot of people doubted us," he said. "A lot of people put us out because we didn't have an offseason, we had a whole new staff, we're going to be lost and running around with our heads cut off."

# Defensive end Ray McDonald said his injured hamstring has healed to the point where he is "good to go" this week.

McDonald suffered his injury against the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 30. He missed his first game Sunday.

# Rookie fullback Bruce Miller caught a pass for a 30-yard touchdown against the Redskins. Running backs coach Tom Rathman doles out a perfect "4" to Miller on the play.

Miller's lone flaw was giving the ball to the official after his first NFL touchdown, Rathman said. Fortunately for Miller, a member of the 49ers equipment staff retrieved the ball and gave it to Miller.

"I didn't know what to do with it," Miller said. "I just handed it back to the referee."

That ball was in Miller's locker Monday. Soon, it will be in his parents' home in Atlanta, Miller said.

# Harbaugh joined Jim Mora as the only rookie coaches since 1970 to guide their teams to a five-game improvement from the previous season within the first eight games.

The 49ers were 2-6 at this point last season. They are 7-1 this season. Mora guided the 2004 Atlanta Falcons to a 6-2 midseason record one season after the Falcons started 1-7.

# The 49ers have allowed a league-low 118 points. The Baltimore Ravens are next at 130.

# Harbaugh took his players to Arlington National Cemetery the day before the Redskins game.

"I just thought it would be neat for the fellas and myself, the team, and we were practicing very near there ... " Harbaugh said. "Our guys were really moved. They really appreciated what they were witnessing, what they were able to be a part of. It was a good, positive thing for us."

Jan 12, 2006

HEART + SOUL

It's Alumni Week, but it might as well be rivalry week. That's how esteemed 49ers legends Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott feel about San Francisco's upcoming game against the New York Giants this Sunday at Candlestick Park. The 35th meeting between this year's current NFC West and East division leaders will be followed closely by both Montana and Lott for a number of reasons. "There's going to be a lot of meaning there, whether they realize it or not," Montana said. "There have been a lot of tough games, a lot of meaningful games, just like this one is going to be." Both Hall of Famers visited team headquarters on Tuesday and shared feelings on the success of the 2011 49ers, the rivalry against the Giants and the upcoming induction of Roger Craig and R.C. Owens into the Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. San Francisco 49ers Hall of Fame. Montana and Lott were both key in the 49ers-Giants rivalry in the late 80s and early 90s. "That was probably one of our toughest games," recalled Montana, who was 2-3 as a starter against the Giants in the playoffs from 1981-90. "Back then, they had a pretty good defense and a pretty good front-seven. They pounded the ball out sort of like the 49ers are now, which we didn't do, but this Sunday is going to be a fun game to watch." Lott is equally enthused about the upcoming showdown between the 7-1 San Francisco 49ers and 6-2 New York Giants. The hard-hitting former 49ers defensive back sees the same consistency and toughness from this year's team that he saw in the 49ers teams he played with.

"What's amazing to me is not just the consistent football, but now you're seeing tough football," said Lott, a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary team and 1980s All-Decade team along with Montana. "You're seeing aggressive football. You're also seeing that determination of understanding, when you do make a tackle; you're not allowing someone to get that extra yard." Lott, who intercepted 63 passes, was named to 10 Pro Bowls and won four Super Bowls (XVI, XIX, XXIII and XXIV), especially appreciates the tough-minded team the 49ers have become under new coach Jim Harbaugh. "People are fighting for inches," Lott said with his signature expression of intensity. "When you see people fighting for inches, it tells you the mentality of what this team's all about. I follow it. And not only do I follow it since I've left, I follow it because you know they have a purpose right now. And that purpose is pretty good." The 49ers defense, something Lott knows all about, leads the NFL allowing the fewest points (14.8) and rushing yards (70.8). The unit has yet to allow a single rushing touchdown and has gone 30-straight games without allowing an individual 100-yard rusher. Stats aside, Lott has been impressed with the hard-hitting nature of the 49ers defense, specifically safety Dashon Goldson, who has recorded interceptions in back-to-back games. The fifth-year pro has also had fans jumping out of their seats whenever he's delivered a big-hit, which seems to happen on a weekly basis. "Watching Dashon bring what he's been able to bring, it's been fabulous," Lott said. "That intensity permeates throughout the team. You start to see other guys emulate what he's trying to do. "He's done a wonderful job of not only setting the tempo, but he's getting people out of their seats. He's got me out of my seat a number of times." Montana, whose expertise falls on the other end of the spectrum, sees great improvements on the 49ers offense. In his mind, having Harbaugh's West Coast offensive system in place has only benefitted the team's 7-1 start. "It's getting the right people in the right places," Montana further explained. The player everyone seems to talk about is Alex Smith and Montana was no different in seeing the improvements made by the 49ers starting quarterback. In the legendary quarterback's mind, the talent around Smith as well as the decision-making has paid huge dividends. Smith is currently ranked sixth in the NFL with a 97.3 quarterback rating and has thrown 10 touchdown passes to just two interceptions. Besides Smith's maturity, Montana sees the people around the quarterback all chipping in to make the 49ers offense excel. "The one beauty about the offense is whenever you get in trouble with this offense it was always about going back to the basics," Montana said. "With the lack of time, I'm sure it's about all they've put in, and they're slowly adding stuff. That foundation is what makes this offense go. "As soon as everyone understands that, they've got serious talent on the outside, able to catch balls and make big plays. And the running game, obviously that speaks for itself." Montana admitted he was surprised to see the team take off so fast under Harbaugh and his staff, who had a shortened offseason to install their schemes, but was quick to mention that they're "fun to watch." Watching the offense never gets old to Montana, more so now that he's seeing Smith surrounded by so many talented players on the perimeter, on the line and in the backfield.

"When I watched film before on the team and Alex, when he hits that back foot and he's able to take a hitch or two and get rid of the ball on time," Montana said, "he's such a better quarterback." But Montana also recalls watching tape of Smith having nowhere to go with the football on crucial downs. Receivers weren't open and there weren't places to dump the ball off. Now he sees Smith trusting the play-makers around him and excelling in an offensive system that has answers for opposing defenses. "He was stuck in a bad spot," Montana admitted. "Here, with this offense, once you understand I can throw the ball, I have some great receivers and tight ends that I can get the ball to and can make plays for me, eventually they're going to make a guy miss, I don't have to force things. And on top of that you throw the running game in there, then it makes the job a lot easier on the quarterback." Also making things easier is the environment in which Smith has been playing these last three months. The family-oriented atmosphere instituted by Harbaugh has been well-received. It's even being noticed by legends like Montana. "It teaches you that it takes individual efforts, but it's not an individual sport. You have to be able to learn and trust the guys next to you. The only way to do that is to be like a family. It's like your brothers are out there next to you. We're all going to make mistakes, but we stick together, we play together. We can overcome a lot of mistakes. The other guys are paid to do what we're doing, too. But it's who can make the least amount of mistakes." So when players on the current team celebrated in the success of their teammates last week in a 19-11 win over the Washington Redskins, Montana could appreciate the collective energy. It took him back to watching his defenses compete against the game's great offenses of his era. "That's the way it should be. There was nothing more fun that to watch our defense play against guys like (Dan) Marino or (John) Elway," Montana added. "That was the fun part, because our guys were the best. Getting up and rooting for them, and they were the same way when we were on the field. Yeah, everybody has to take a break and talk to their coach, but as soon as you were done, everyone was back up watching the rest of the team play. That's what it's about." Current players, coaches, and even alumni, will have a lot invested in Sunday's meeting with the New York Giants, too.

At halftime, the 49ers will induct two legends into the 49ers Hall of Fame, two men who are near and dear to Montana and Lott. Lott roomed with Craig on the road and credits him for showing his teammates how to condition themselves to handle the rigors of professional football. Lott also learned first-hand how much football meant to Craig.

"I have the utmost respect for him. Not because of what he did on the football field, but what he did off the field," Lott said. "Everybody talks about the game of football and what they want in life, Roger was one of those guys who'd go out and earn it. "He earned every yard. He earned the red blazer that he's going to get and he'll soon earn the right to get that yellow jacket. Nobody has done it better than him and he's just one of the exceptional 49ers to come along in a period when there were some pretty exceptional people." Equally as impactful on the 49ers history, legends like Lott know all about the importance of R.C. Owens on the team's history. The wide receiver, who played for the 49ers from 1957-61 and worked in the front office for 20-plus seasons, represents the class of the organization better than anyone else.

"I've watched R.C. continuing to be a part of this organization, continuing to be a part of something great, continuing something he started when he first put on that uniform," Lott added. "He's always done something great in his life, whether it was the first time he made the "Alley Oop" catch or was the first time he was involved in the community. He represents this organization better than any athlete who's ever put on this uniform. He has gone around and been one of the greatest ambassadors to this organization. He is just an exceptional person."

Montana, fellow member of the 49ers Hall of Fame like Lott, appreciates both men's contributions to the proud franchise.

"I think it's been long overdue," Montana said. "I think both of them made statements in their own eras. They're both great additions."

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-event...st-Start/8e33322e-0e09-4f75-a0ed-735dd9c3747c

Jan 12, 2006
Upcoming strength of schedule. It gets easier as the year goes on:

Remaining schedule: 24-39 (.381 Opp winning pct)

After this weekend: 18-37 (.327 opp winning pct)

After Thanksgiving (Dec/Jan Games): 10-28 (.265 opp winning pct)

The teams we have beaten and those we still must play who have good defenses (rank by Pts/G ):

Played so far:

3: Cincinnati

6: Detroit

7: Washington

12: Cleveland

18: Philadelpia

23: TB

Top Teams left

2: Baltimore

5: Pittsburgh

20: NYG

Feb 8, 2006
fresh apparel
they shipped it to the casa $40 with shipping though

but fuck i'm 6'2 and the xl is no bueno length wise
i gotta retturn it i hope the xxl is longer and not hella wide

Dec 4, 2006
Gore injures knee against Giants

49ers running back Frank Gore left Sunday's game against the Giants with a knee injury.

Gore has been nursing an ankle injury but a knee issue limited him to six carries for 0 yards. He only played one snap in the second half and was in for blitz pickup.

"I'll be all right," Gore said after the game. "I feel I could've played, but coach [Tom] Rathman didn't want me to play. He didn't want me out there thinking about my knee."

For the season, Gore has 165 carries for 782 rushing yards and five touchdowns

Read more: Gore injures knee against Giants
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

---------------------------------------

I hope its not that serious, but he do needs to rest that knee for a couple of weeks...