Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2006
MOREBASS that's a clean shirt my dude!

I think they have a Fresh Apparel in Richmond/San Pablo...

I'm going to drive out there over the weekend and get me one, that shirt is clean as fuck!

Jun 18, 2005
Redskins: 49ers 'are beatable'
November 7, 2011, 11:09 am
Print Article

Lorenzo Alexander: "They are beatable. They run the ball effectively, have a strong defense, didn't make too many mistakes of offense." (AP)

LANDOVER, Md. -- There was a lot of trash talk that began before the game when the Redskins were upset when some 49ers ran through their drills on the way to the locker room before the game.

But it was all in the name of good competition, 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said.

"It was normal," Davis said of the amount of interaction among the players on both teams. "They wanted to win the game. They competed. I can't downplay that. They had a lot of physical guys on their side. I think they played a helluva game, as far as stopping the ball and their DBs did a good job -- DeAngelo Hall and (LaRon) Landry."

Here is what some members of the Redskins had to say following the 49ers' 19-11 victory on Sunday:

"I thought the defense did some really good things, played well enough to win. I thought the intensity was there and I thought our players played extremely hard. But when you make that many mistakes, you have two turnovers (actually, three) on offense and eventually give up pretty good field position against a team that runs the ball extremely well, plays good rush defense, you can't have that many mistakes."
--Redskins coach Mike Shanahan

"They are beatable. They came out and played their game the way they. They run the ball effectively, have a strong defense, didn't make too many mistakes of offense. We turned the ball over too much and we allowed them to run the ball. It's frustrating, but at the same time we had a chance. We gave them the (onside) kick. We have to come up with that and give our offense a chance to go out and tie the game."
--Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander

"I don't think they (the 49ers) played that great. I don't think they have that dynamic of an offense. If you hold certain teams in the league to 19 points, you feel you did a great job. I don't think that's their type of offense. I think we could've played better. I think we made mistakes. They are a ball control/defensive team. They are the type of team we strive to be, and they have been doing it very well. "
--Defensive lineman Barry Cofield

"We came back and looked at the photos that they gave us on the sideline. And there were a few (plays) where I could've waited a second longer and had a shot at something. I'm going off what I saw, and when you look at the pictures, there were a couple there. (Offensive coordinator) Kyle Shanahan and I were standing on the sideline and we said, 'Hey, you know what? Just wait a half-second longer and it'll get into this hole and we can shoot it there.' "
--Quarterback John Beck

"I feel like I was getting open. A lot of times John would go through his reads and not come to me. But that's for coach to talk to John about. I just try to get open and make plays when it comes to me."
--Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney

"We played hard. We're always going to play hard. Coach Shanahan coaches well, and we're always going to play hard. Playing hard and losing really doesn't do anything for you, so we've got to figure it out."
--Tackle Trent Williams

Read more: Redskins: 49ers 'are beatable'
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

They Mad?

Feb 12, 2004
Niners legit Super Bowl contenders

By Hub Arkush, ProFootballWeekly.com 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

Niners legit Super Bowl contenders

If you're anything at all like me, you went into the ninth week of the 2011 NFL season desperately in search of some clarity. Clearly the Green Bay Packers are the best team in the league right now, and the Colts, Dolphins, Broncos, Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals are road kill, but are there any legitimate threats to the Pack at the top?

Now I know a little bit more, and the clearest message I got was that the San Francisco 49ers are legitimate Super Bowl contenders. The NFC West is the worst division in football and maybe the worst we've seen in a decade or two, and the fact that the Niners have played only two teams with winning records to date — Cincinnati and Detroit — on their way to a 7-1 start is going to make the record look a little better than it really is. But move past that and consider the other facts.

San Francisco will have to hit a major slump to finish any worse than second in the NFC, with the Giants, Ravens and Steelers the only winning teams on their schedule the rest of the way, which means a week off and at least one home game in the playoffs. Jim Harbaugh is new and fresh and clearly still has plenty to learn, but he is also a really good football coach who already knows how to win and whose players love playing for him. And most importantly, these guys are loaded with talent!

Eleven of the 49ers' 22 starters are first-round draft choices, and seven — Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis(notes), Braylon Edwards(notes), Alex Smith, Justin Smith(notes), Carlos Rogers(notes) and Donte Whitner(notes) — were top-10 picks, with a ninth and a 10th, Anthony Davis and Patrick Willis(notes), having been selected 11th in the first round. All in all, San Francisco has drafted 16 of its 22 starters and P Andy Lee(notes) (sixth round), who is among the NFL leaders in punting. The Niners are young but extremely talented. They learn more every week about both how to win and just how good they are, clearly are gaining confidence by the bucketful and may very well be headed for a classic NFC title matchup with Green Bay.

When the New York Jets stop talking and start playing, they actually can be a pretty good football team, and while I've suspected all along the Pats are still the club the Jets have to track down and the Bills are at least a year away, I think we can now say those are facts. What intrigues me most about the Jets is that although they're not as talented as the 49ers, you do have to wonder how good they'd be if head coach Rex Ryan would just tone it down a bit and spend a little more time on coaching of the time that he's currently spending by putting his foot in his mouth and then trying to get it out.

The Cincinnati Bengals are going nowhere fast in spite of their 6-2 start. Other than a tight win over the Bills, who proved this week they're not an upper-echelon team yet, and a close loss to the Niners, Cincinnati actually lost to the Broncos, and their other five wins are over Cleveland, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Seattle and Tennessee, with a combined record of 11-30. How much talent is on that Bengals roster, other than the obvious gifts of A.J. Green(notes) and an early nice-work-so-far-but-big-maybe on Andy Dalton(notes)? The only first-round picks of their own on the Bengals' roster, besides Green, are Jermaine Gresham(notes), Andre Smith and Leon Hall(notes). As real as the Niners appear to be, the Bengals are simply the product of decent coaching and a fluke of a schedule.

Beyond all that, I think we know now the New York Giants can be a pretty good football team if they just play other good teams, and the Packers' and 49ers' playoff opponents are going to come from a group including the Giants, Eagles, Saints, Falcons, Lions and Bears, with the Bears and Giants most likely the odd men out (although I am writing prior to the Bears-Eagles game). In the AFC, the Patriots will find themselves because they're the Patriots, and the Jets, Steelers, Ravens and Texans appear likely to join them in the AFC playoffs. I have no idea who will come out of the AFC West, nor do I think it matters, because I just don't see any of these clubs playing with the Packers.

Dec 12, 2006
Im going to the game so of course im I want the 9ers to win but realistically I think we lose this game bounce back and beat the the outta the cards just in time to be on all cylinders for a HUGE games on Thanksgiving which we win 27-20 over Body Moe Murda Land