Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
QB Smith finally has his receivers
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/01/SPM11F6JVP.DTL

Alex Smith got his two favorite targets back on the field just in time ... for them to sit most, if not all, the final exhibition game.

Pro Bowl tight end Vernon Davis and wide receiver Michael Crabtree practiced together with Smith for the first time Tuesday since the second week of training camp.

They returned from injuries two days before the exhibition finale Thursday against the visiting Chargers - Davis from a knee strain in the first exhibition game, Crabtree from a sprained neck.

Seeing that the starters typically don't play much in the last practice game, don't look for Davis and Crabtree to do much Thursday. Smith would just as soon they save it for when the games count.

"I've always used this as a pretty minimal week of work as far as the game goes," said Smith, who has not been told if or how long the starters will play Thursday. "I think you really try to get healthy for the opening week."

That would be Sept. 12 at Seattle.

He's back: Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin might be in fine boxing shape, but the football stuff just didn't click in his first practice of the season.

During 1-on-1 blocking drills, Franklin ended up on the ground two times in a row against third-string center Tony Wragge. Franklin signed his one-year contract Saturday after missing all offseason and training camp workouts.

New deal: Strong safety Michael Lewis recently took a pay cut to stay with the team, according to an espn.com report.

Lewis went from $4.1 million this season to a $1.7 million base salary with $400,000 in bonus money. The final two years of the deal were erased.

Lewis has held his starting job against rookie Taylor Mays and Reggie Smith through camp.

Briefly: Starting center David Baas is out again with a right shoulder stinger. ... Left tackle Joe Staley (knee) and backup inside linebacker Matt Wilhelm (headaches) remain limited in practice. ... Running back Brian Westbrook did not practice because of a hamstring injury.

Oct 23, 2009
New deal: Strong safety Michael Lewis recently took a pay cut to stay with the team, according to an espn.com report.

Lewis went from $4.1 million this season to a $1.7 million base salary with $400,000 in bonus money. The final two years of the deal were erased.

Lewis has held his starting job against rookie Taylor Mays and Reggie Smith through camp.

Briefly: Starting center David Baas is out again with a right shoulder stinger.
Sounds like they're really confident in Taylor Mays stepping up soon, either that or Lewis's concussions have really made him a liability out there.

Baas having that stinger means the team is down to Wragge as the only Center...interesting.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
Davis, Crabtree in Heated Exchange at 49ers Camp

SANTA CLARA -- Tight end Vernon Davis, one of the 49ers' captains, had angry words for second-year wide receiver Michael Crabtree during practice Wednesday, prompting coach Mike Singletary to get involved in the dispute.

Afterward, Singletary said he dealt with the issue and feels confident it has been resolved. The disagreement was over a non-football issue, Singletary said.

"There is no more elephants in the room," Singletary said. "The elephant was exposed."

Davis was seen gesticulating and angrily yelling at Crabtree in the presence of Singletary while the rest of the team went through a non-padded walk-through practice.

After several minutes, Singletary took both players into the 49ers locker room. After 10 minutes, Davis reappeared and received fist-bumps from several of his teammates. Crabtree and Singletary returned to the practice field nine minutes later.

There was no interaction between the two players after they'd emerged from their conversation with Singletary.

Following practice, the 49ers went straight to the locker room, where Singletary addressed the team for nearly 20 minutes.

"They were both wrong," Singletary said. "And we will not have distractions on this team. Vernon forgot temporarily that that is not allowed. We don't do that. We don't treat family like that. We don't disrespect each other.

"I just needed to remind him that's not who we are. He's fine. He did a great job. He's one of the captains. He did the right thing, but he did it the wrong way."

Both Davis and Crabtree declined comment through a club spokesman.

Singletary added, "I appreciate Vernon speaking from his heart, but it was just wrong. He, indeed, is every bit the reason why I made him captain. He's not going to sugarcoat things. He doesn't know how to sugarcoat things. I wish he did sometimes. But I appreciate what he was trying to do, but it was just wrong."

Singletary, who subscribes to the mantra that he wants the team to improve every day, said today was a success -- off the field.

"We didn't get better on the field from practice, but we got better as a team," Singletary said. "Yeah."

Davis and Crabtree are expected to be two of the team's top weapons in the passing game. Singletary said he is confident there will be no more problems between the two men.

"If I have to monitor the situation, we have a problem. It's done," he said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/01/10/...t-49e/landing.html?blockID=302255&feedID=2539

Read more: Davis, Crabtree in Heated Exchange at 49ers Camp
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
I dont see Raiders or Madden on the thread title tony, what u doin in here lol.

Worry about your "teams" and let the real fans who stay up on our situation worry about this.

Davis is a team captain, so if hes getting on crabtree for field related stuff, good, if its other bullshit, they needa cut it

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
Davis is a team captain, so if hes getting on crabtree for field related stuff, good, if its other bullshit, they needa cut it
From the reports I'm reading it doesn't seem as though it was a football related incident, some off field shit. Shit like this happens alot everywhere though right? Hope it's sorted out.

Oct 23, 2009
Looks like Alex Smith will not play Sunday against the Chargers...nothing unexpected really. Looks like were gonna get a good look at Carr & Davis, wonder if they'll try to throw in Jarrett Brown at QB.

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
So not one preseason game with our whole 1st offense on the field? not even one series? I mean Im all about keepin em healthy but I dont like it, fuck the preseason
well the 4th preseason game is usually reserved for checking out the reserves before they have to cut dudes.