Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

TO? I dont think he would be happy here with Hill throwing to him...plus we won't throw that much anyways, much less his way...

Battle as returner? I don't think i've ever seen him break or almost break one...we need to keep searching for a better returner....

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
Robinson is wack!!!!! He's useless and coffee...what exactly has he done for the running game? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

coffee will be nice. he hasnt adjusted to the game speed of waiting for his blocks to set up, he kept running passed them.

assuming that sheets would be the offense's savior is ignorant. he's a rookie too.

it would have been nice to let him grow and mature with us but dont expect him to take over for ronnie brown next week, or anytime this year.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Alex Smith takes first team snaps at 49ers practice
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/14/alex-smith-takes-first-team-snaps-at-49ers-practice/

Shaun Hill got banged around in San Francisco's humbling 45-10 loss to the Falcons, so he's sitting out some work during the team's bye week practices.

"There has been no talk about making a change at quarterback" according to Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, but Alex Smith got his first work with the starting 49ers offense since training camp while Hill recovered.

So, to be clear, there is nothing to see here in terms of a quarterback controversy.

But there is a case to be made that Smith deserves consideration before the end of the season if the 49ers passing attack doesn't improve.

Hill doesn't turn the ball over, but he's taken the third-most sacks in the league and his yards per attempt is 6.2, good for 25th in the NFL. Only Kerry Collins and JaMarcus Russell have thrown for fewer plays over 20 yards among quarterbacks that have started every game this season.

Hill's body of work as a 49er, not to mention San Francisco's 3-2 record, have earned him respect and plenty of rope. But at some point, the 49ers will need to find some explosive plays in the passing game or it wouldn't be a surprise if there is talk about a change.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers' bye week injury report
Running back Frank Gore expects to be available when the 49ers return to action Oct. 25 against the Texans. He took part today in individual and group work, and then sat out the 11-on-11 work during today's practice.

The 49ers had one final practice today before scattering throughout the country. Coach Mike Singletary gave the team four days off for the bye week. Gore will remain in the area to receive daily treatment on his bum right ankle, which has kept him out the past two games.

Quarterback Shaun Hill was feeling "a little sore" after taking a beating in the 49ers' loss Sunday to the Falcons. Therefore, Alex Smith handled the team drills today. It afforded Smith a rare opportunity to work on some plays from the 49ers' playbook - something he hasn't done since the end of training camp.

Tackle Adam Snyder (left thigh contusion), defensive end Ray McDonald (left ankle), cornerback Tarell Brown (groin), safety Michael Lewis (concussion), linebacker Jeff Ulbrich (concussion) and safety Reggie Smith (groin) did not see work during practice. It is not known which of those players will be available to play the week after the bye.

Linebacker Patrick Willis (left shoulder contusion) and defensive back Marcus Hudson (right shoulder contusion) practiced but wore black jerseys to signify that they were off-limits to any contact.

Rookie running back Glen Coffee, who briefly left Sunday's game with an ankle, took part in full practice. Also, linebacker Marques Harris, who saw limited work last week with a hamstring strain and was inactive for the Falcons games, should be available for the game against the Texans.

Certainly, the biggest concern is Ulbrich, a 10-year pro who sat out last week's game with a concussion. He and Lewis were scheduled for further tests today.

Singletary said Lewis' concussion symptoms cleared quickly on Sunday. He has experienced three concussions since mid-August, so the 49ers are taking no chances, Singletary said.

"(Lewis) was ready to go; he could've played," Singletary said. "Twenty years ago he would've been smelling smelling salts and been back in the game. But that wasn't the case."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
There's no bye week for rookie Crabtree
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/15/SP9D1A5MVR.DTL

While the rest of the 49ers scatter to their bye week destinations, Michael Crabtree will be hard at work making up for lost time.

He'll be at team headquarters catching passes from Alex Smith under the watch of receivers coach Jerry Sullivan and Wendell Davis, who was brought back to assist Sullivan.

Davis, a Bears receiver for six seasons and an NFL Minority Fellowship coaching aide during training camp, is back with the 49ers for an extended run helping Sullivan. The 49ers have seven wide receivers on the active roster, only three of whom have actually caught an NFL pass.

"Michael is doing fine," coach Mike Singletary said. "He's working his tail off. Every rep he takes makes him that much better. He's been studying. It shows on the field - he doesn't ask many questions. He's going to be working (Wednesday, today), Friday, Saturday, as well as some on Sunday. We really want hands-on all the way."

That's fine with Crabtree, who at least passes the eyeball test. He said he worked out twice a day for a month in the heat and humidity of Tampa before signing his contract last week. His washboard abs are testament to the work he put in.

"It's a process," Crabtree said. "I feel I've got good teammates helping me. They have the same goal I have, to get better."

Crabtree will have a small package of plays to learn for Houston on Oct. 25, when he will be active and on the field for his first NFL game in his home state. (He's from Dallas.)

"First game home, I'm very excited for the opportunity to play at home," he said.

As for Smith, it's not a totally altruistic gesture for him to remain at the facility and throw to Crabtree.

"This is where I live now," he said. "I'm going to enjoy the Bay Area, enjoy the beautiful weather. I'm here anyway. I'll come in the morning and throw a little bit. We've never had a rookie receiver like this coming in late, behind the 8-ball. He's in a tough position. The goal is to find that balance when he goes out there and knows what he's doing and can contribute."

QB rested: Smith took most of the snaps with the first offense Wednesday as Shaun Hill was rested. Hill has been sacked 16 times in five games and hit at least that many times.

"We let Alex get some snaps. At the same time, Shaun is a little sore. We'll let him rest," Singletary said.

Changes coming? Singletary on Monday hinted at changes on the offensive line. He was still hinting Wednesday after a short practice wrapped up work during the team's bye week. The changes would likely be at right guard, where second-year player Chilo Rachal is the starter.

"Still looking at it," the coach said. "There's a good chance we'll do it."

The 49ers could plug Tony Wragge in at right guard or slide right tackle Adam Snyder inside and play Tony Pashos at right tackle.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/15/SP9D1A5MVR.DTL#ixzz0U1PqHXPD

Apr 25, 2002
lol @ everyone mad at sheets getting swooped. while yes it sucks he wasnt even good enough to crack the roster even after frank gore got hurt. the coaches obvisiously know something that we dont.
They know that he wasn't ready to pick up blitzes. That's the only reason he wasn't activated. I'm not just mad that Sheets was swooped, I'm mad about who was kept on the roster when Sheets has a much higher upside.