Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Another rumor says the 9ers are interested in Faneca. Too many rumors out there to weed through.
Here's a rumor I just heard. I thought I'd pass it along just to get it out there. The word around the league is that the Jets have negotiated a monster deal for free-agent guard Alan Faneca (Steelers) that will pay him in the neighborhood of $20 million guaranteed. That said, I'm curious to see what transpires there. I've found a good percentage of pre-free agency rumors never materialize.

Nov 27, 2006
vikings and niners have alot of the same needs, WR and DE, it will be interesting to see how it works out. Both teams are interested in Justin Smith and Berrian, i really think WR's will be more willing to some to minnesota now that we have AD cause he demands 8 in the box which leaves the whole field open. cant wait for tomorrow night, i get just as excited as i do for opening day.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
vikings and niners have alot of the same needs, WR and DE, it will be interesting to see how it works out. Both teams are interested in Justin Smith and Berrian, i really think WR's will be more willing to some to minnesota now that we have AD cause he demands 8 in the box which leaves the whole field open. cant wait for tomorrow night, i get just as excited as i do for opening day.
lol as do i. But you see, the niners have Gore, who also demands 8 in the box, and a great OC in Mike Martz, who players want to play for

Nov 27, 2006
When the NFL free-agency period begins at 11 tonight, the Vikings are expected to be one of the league's most active teams.

Based on interviews with agents, coaches and executives, the Vikings are projected to take advantage of the estimated $35 million in salary cap-space, the fifth-most room in the league.

Misinformation runs rampant this time of year as teams try to send smokescreens and agents try to embellish the leaguewide interest in their clients. And despite tampering rules, deals are often all-but-signed, and trips are often outlined before free agency "officially" begins.

After an expensive splurge in 2005 and a modest one in 2006, all signs point to the Vikings making noise again.

The obvious holes are at receiver, defensive end, safety and quarterback. But the club could also be in the market for a modestly priced veteran cornerback and offensive tackle. Here is a preview of some prospects:

Wide receiver: The Vikings did all they could to lure Kevin Curtis last offseason, offering him more money than the Philadelphia Eagles. That whiff, though, cost them dearly: the passing offense ranked 28th in the NFL and second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson lacked a go-to receiver.

With the expected trade of Troy Williamson to the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Vikings might put a full-court press on Chicago Bears receiver Bernard Berrian. With arguably the best one-two running back duo in the NFL, the Vikings are looking for a receiver who can
Advertisement
punish teams for stacking the box.

Few players do that better than Berrian.

He is an explosive athlete, who consistently gets behind defenders, and he has made his share of highlight catches. He has also had his share of drops, but he is considered a rising talent, and he turned 27 in December.

A handful of teams are expected to go after Berrian, and the Bears are expected to try and retain him. But the Vikings might get the benefit of the doubt because of the strong working relationship between Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, and Berrian's agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

The Vikings might have to overpay to land Berrian. Certainly, Berrian is looking for a bump from the six-year, $32 million deal, including $12 million in guarantees, that Curtis signed last year.

That necessity doesn't fit the Vikings' M.O. But they surely don't want to be left scrambling, as they were last year. The other receivers aren't as proven (D.J. Hackett, Bryant Johnson) or come with more baggage (Donte' Stallworth and Jerry Porter). Stallworth, though, could be a solid backup plan, given his production in a similar offense (Eagles) in 2006.

Defensive end: The Vikings are downright desperate at this position.

The Vikings might be looking for not one, but two, ends. A couple of good ones could be available with the 17th pick in the first round. But there was plenty of buzz at the NFL combine that the Vikings would strongly address this position via free agency.

One possibility is Cincinnati's Justin Smith.

He averaged nearly seven sacks in his first six seasons, he's versatile enough to play on either side, and he played for Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

But there are several concerns about him: He'll command a monster contract, perhaps $8 million a year; he had just two sacks last season; and he'll turn 29 in September, which casts questions on his productivity on the back-end of his deal.

In addition, the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers could have him in their crosshairs.

There are two other prospects who are younger and probably cheaper. After three quiet seasons in Tennessee, Antwan Odom had eight sacks in 2007, opposite Kyle Vanden Bosch. Odom has prototype size (6 feet 5, 274 pounds), speed and strength but there are questions about his every-down effort. He too can line up on both sides, and he is effective against the run and pass. There is said to be a lot of interest in Odom, 26, and he could net a deal that averages $6 million a year.

Another option is Bobby McCray, who spent his first four seasons in Jacksonville. McCray had only three sacks last season, but he had 10 in 2006. In the AFC wild-card playoff this year, McCray had a key sack and forced fumble. McCray has played mostly at left end, a glaring hole for the Vikings.

There are two other intriguing possibilities: Jevon Kearse and Travis LaBoy. Kearse has been hampered with injuries, and he could be a low-priced gamble for the Vikings (Childress was in Philadelphia in 2004 and 2005, when Kearse had a combined 15 sacks). LaBoy, meanwhile, has an impressive 19.5 sacks in spot duty, over four seasons.

Safety: The only name connected to the Vikings is Madieu Williams. He also played for Frazier in Cincinnati, and he is a smart, versatile player who is 26 years old. There should be several teams interested in him, and he could haul in at least $5 million a year.

Other safety possibilities: Erik Coleman (N.Y. Jets) and Eugene Wilson (New England).

Quarterback: The release of veteran Kelly Holcomb on Wednesday opens up a spot on the Vikings' depth chart.

The Vikings could be interested in two players: Cleo Lemon and Billy Volek.

Lemon is only 1-7 as a starter, but he didn't have much to work with in Miami last season, with a suspect Dolphins offensive line and shaky receivers (especially after the trade of Chris Chambers). Lemon, though, played well in two of his last three starts, with ratings above 93 in each game.

With the San Diego Chargers, Volek hasn't started a game since 2005, but he completed 61.1 percent of his passes for 2,486 yards, with 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 10 games, during the 2004 season.

Other free-agent quarterbacks who could be of interest: Quinn Gray (Jacksonville) and Todd Collins (Washington).

ima make this a vikings news thread ahahaha booo niners

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Antwan Odom wont be too good outside of Tennessee unless he has another Dline like the 1 hes in, Having Haynesworth makes it much easier for both DEs

Dec 9, 2005
Yeah, haha...get that shit outta here ! LOL

This thread is only for professional football teams that play in San Francisco, wear red & gold, and have a coach who's name rhymes with Dolan.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
FUCK ALL THIS HATERS, ITS A NINERS NEWS THREAD GET OUT OF HERE WITH ALL DAT OTHER BULLSHIT START UR OWN THREAD FOR UR TEAM CUZ NONE OF THE NINERS FAN CARE ABOUT ANY OTHER TEAM THEN NINERS