Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Bruce will be back
Veteran wideout Isaac Bruce called coach Mike Singletary this morning and delivered this message: I'll be back. The 36-year-old wideout had been uncertain whether he wanted to return for a 16th season. There is no word yet on whether Bruce will join his teammates for offseason workouts. Both Singletary and GM Scot McCloughan are in Los Angeles today for USC's pro day.

Bruce's return is a big lift for a 49ers' team that has plenty of rising stars at the wideout position but little experience. Bruce did not take part in a recent minicamp during which newcomer Brandon Jones, the No. 3 receiver in Tennessee last year, and Josh Morgan, who started one game for the 49ers in 2008, were the starting wideouts. Bruce likely will be the starter at flanker with Morgan opposite him at split end.

Bruce led the 49ers in receptions (61) and receiving yards (835) and also caught seven touchdowns last season. He also served as a mentor to Morgan and fellow youngster Jason Hill, who are expected to take on expanded roles this season. Morgan said recently that he viewed Bruce as a "second father on the field."

Singletary has characterized Bruce's indecision as a normal consideration for someone who has been in the league 15 seasons. Still, Singletary said last month that he hoped for an answer from Bruce by today. The taciturn Bruce has not spoken publicly since the season ended and it's not known how he feels about the Mike Martz's dismissal at season's end. Bruce spent nine seasons under Martz with the Rams before rejoining him last year in San Francisco.

-- Matt Barrows

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Santa Clara, 49ers stadium deal may be soon
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/03/BAQ516RRG4.DTL

A deal between the city of Santa Clara and the 49ers for a new stadium in the South Bay appears to be heating up as relations between the team and San Francisco officials seem to be cooling off.

Santa Clara City Councilman Kevin Moore said Thursday that an agreement with the team to build a 68,500-seat stadium near Great America could be sealed in the next couple of weeks.

"The 49ers see that the economic downturn means that there is less money available (from Santa Clara), but they've stepped up and said they will make a deal work," Moore said.

Any contract between Santa Clara and the team would need to be approved by voters.

The 49ers declined to comment on talks with Santa Clara, but continue to say that it is their preferred place to build a new ballpark.

Meanwhile, the team has asked San Francisco to complete a $1 million evaluation of structural issues and other repair needs at Candlestick Park and estimate that the city owes them about $61 million in deferred maintenance.

Lisa Lang, 49ers spokeswoman, said the team meets with the city annually to determine the stadium's condition. The team's lease runs through 2013 with options through 2023.

San Francisco has proposed a new 49ers stadium at the former Hunters Point Shipyard to try to keep the team in town.

Mayor Gavin Newsom seemed put off by the latest news about the 49ers.

"We'll keep fighting (to keep the team)," said. "But I'm not going to lie and say I'm pleased with the fact that they continue to belittle our chances of keeping them. Nor will I sell the soul of the city to keep them."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Raji arriving Monday
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/021269.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A
One of the more intriguing prospects in the 2009 draft, Boston College nose tackle B.J. Raji, will visit with the 49ers on Monday and Tuesday. Good nose tackles are rare in the draft and Raji's skill set - he's a 330-pounder with excellent quickness - seem to perfectly match how the 49ers' use their nose tackle. Will Raji last until the 10th pick? A number of draft prognosticators have had him going to the Seahawks at No. 4. But recent reports of a positive test for marijuana will certainly give teams with a top 5 pick pause. The situation has the whiff - sorry, couldn't resist - of 1995 when Warren Sapp, a sure Top 5 selection following the college season, was linked to marijuana just before the draft. Sapp ended up falling to the Buccaneers at No. 12, and I seem to recall him having a pretty good career. (seven pro bowls, one defensive player of the year award, one super bowl ring).

The list of players visiting the 49ers in the coming days looks like this:

Raji
Mark Sanchez, USC QB
Andre Smith, Alabama OT
Michael Oher, Ole Miss OT
Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech WR

I haven't heard anything about other potential No. 10 picks, Jeremy Maclin or Brian Orakpo. FSU's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin have no plans to visit at this time.

-- Matt

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/04/niners-play-host-to-four-visitors.html
The season of pre-draft visits began today with several prospects visiting the 49ers' new-and-improved facility.

Among the first players to go through the doors of the team offices in Santa Clara were Tennessee running back Arian Foster and USC linebacker Rey Maualuga.

Maualuga was my "sleeper pick" for the 49ers on Feb. 22, before veteran Takeo Spikes was re-signed. I know the club really likes Maualuga, but is No. 10 too high? After all, they already have a No. 11 overall pick (Patrick Willis) playing inside linebacker.

Foster (6-1, 226) would be a mid-round pick, as the 49ers are looking for a bigger back to help share the load with Frank Gore. It's a pretty good bet the 49ers will select a running back at some point. Is No. 10 too high to select Knowshon Moreno or "Beanie" Wells?

Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree and Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji are also scheduled to arrive in the South Bay today.

Crabtree is coming off surgery for a stress fracture in his left foot. The 49ers likely want to check to see how everything is coming along. Crabtree is an option at No. 10, but he is expected to be chosen before then. He is probably the only receiver the 49ers would take in the first round.

Likewise, Raji might also be gone by the time the 49ers select (though I just saw where NFLdraftscout's Rob Rang, in his most recent mock draft, has the 49ers selecting him with the 10th pick). There was a recent Sports Illustrated report that Raji tested positive for an unspecified drug at the NFL scouting combine, so I'm sure the 49ers will have a question or two on that topic.

Keena Turner, the 49ers' vice president of football affairs, just led me on a tour of the remodeled interior of the building at 4949 Centennial Boulevard in Santa Clara. The 49ers have remodeled the weight room and expanded meeting rooms for the offensive and defensive lines. The club has additional plans to knock down a wall to expand the locker room. Also, the players' lounge will be expanded, and a new kitchen area will be installed. I'll write more about this later in the week.