Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
The 49ers currently have a hole at right tackle, and they're wondering whether Marvel Smith is the man to fill it. The long-time Steelers tackle is scheduled to meet with the 49ers tomorrow, a team official confirmed today. Smith is from the Bay Area having played high school ball at Skyline High School in Oakland. He went to Arizona State and was a second-round pick by the Steelers in the 2000 draft. Smith has two Super Bowl rings and he went to the Pro Bowl in 2004.

As the 2008 season ended, the 49ers identified tackle as one of the positions they hoped to improve this offseason. So, far, however, they haven't added any new tackles to their ranks. Jonas Jennings, who began 2008 as the starting right tackle, will be released later this offseason. Barry Sims, 34, and Adam Snyder, 27, also started games at right tackle, but neither is viewed as the future starter. The team also could turn to the draft for help. However, both of the tackles that are most likely to be available at pick No. 10 - Alabama's Andre Smith and Ole Miss's Michael Oher - come with question marks.

At 6-5, 325 pounds, Marvel Smith is just the kind of big body the 49ers want on the right side and he has experience at both right and left tackle. But he's not perfect. Smith will be 31 when the season begins and he has missed 15 games due to injury in the last two seasons. Smith had lower back surgery in December 2007. He returned from that procedure this past season but re-injured his back on Oct. 5 and was later placed on injured reserve. In other words, Smith's physical tomorrow at Stanford Hospital will be tremendously important.

^ i would be very happy if we got marvel, hes better than khalif barnes

Apr 13, 2006
Offensive tackle Marvel Smith is getting ready to fly back home to Los Angeles this evening after what his agent characterized as a good visit with the 49ers today. Smith, 30, met with coach Mike Singletary and general manager Scot McCloughan, toured the team facility and, of course, had a physical. Agent Kenny Zuckerman said Smith came away with a very good impression of Singletary and said he felt at home in the Bay Area. Smith grew up in the East Bay and went to high school at Skyline High in Oakland.

If it weren't for recent injuries to his back, adding Smith at right tackle would be an easy decision. He is a former Pro Bowler who has two Super Bowl rings with the Steelers. The 49ers will mull over the results of today's physical before making a decision. Zuckerman said Smith feels as good as he has in years and would be able to take part in the 49ers' upcoming minicamp if a deal is reached before Friday.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Coach Mike Singletary said he wanted to create a certain "mindset" with the first minicamp, and that he did on the first day with the circuit drills.

Singletary said he saw all he needed to see. He was willing to cut the conditioning exercise short on Friday. Then, Vernon Davis said, "No, we're going to finish this."

Davis, Frank Gore, Shaun Hill and Alex Smith are some of the individuals Singletary singled out as the leaders on the team "leading the pack" during the grueling workouts. Davis, entering his four NFL season, said he is feeling more comfortable in that role.

"I definitely feel like a leader," he said. "I'm more, lead-by-example with what I do with my teammates, doing what the coaches tell me to do and coming to work everyday."

The 49ers should be in good physical (with an F?) condition this offseason. The Yorks have replaced most of the weights, racks and machines in the weight room. Singletary got his wish of a new steep-rising hill for conditioning at the north end of the team's practice fields in Santa Clara.

Does the hill have a name? "Pain," Singletary answered.

This just in: It took about 2,500 tons of dirt to create the hill. It includes a rise of about 15 feet with a 30-degree slope that's about 45 feet long on one side and a 40-degree slope on the other side.

The 49ers became a lot more basic on defense after coach Mike Nolan was fired at midseason. With defensive coordinator Greg Manusky gaining autonomy, the defense ditched the "hybrid 3-4 defense" and went solely with a 3-4.

The simplicity has carried over to this offseason.

"We know exactly what we run," 49ers defensive end Justin Smith said. "We have some new twists and wrinkles it in but we're not straying away from what we do well. I think that's important. We're going to run what we run and do it well. I expect us to be a lot better out of the gate and continue from there.

"(We're) sticking purely to a 3-4, and not necessarily having to throw in a bunch of trick-'em stuff."

Singletary said he has informed Jonas Jennings that the club is going "forward with what we have." He said, "At the appropriate time, we'll do what we have to do." Club sources have told The Press Democrat that Jennings does not figure into the team's plans. He was not invited to the team's voluntary minicamp.

Cornerback Walt Harris (player rep) and linebacker Takeo Spikes (alternate player rep) are here today after missing Friday's practice. They were attending the union meeting in Maui. But it wasn't just fun and sun, Spikes said. They were tied up in meetings from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and when they got outside it was raining.

Singletary declined to provide details on injuries that are keeping players out of practice. DBs Tarell Brown, Michael Lewis and Shawntae Spencer, DL Ray McDonald, TE Delanie Walker and WR Arnaz Battle did not participate Friday. Spencer sustained a torn ACL last season. McDonald underwent offseason surgery on his right knee, and might be brought along slowly in training camp. Walker had some cartilage cleaned out of his right shoulder.

Receiver Josh Morgan could be in line to be the No. 1 receiver this season - whether or not Isaac Bruce returns for a 16th NFL season. When asked if he is ready for such a role, Morgan replied, "Yes, sir."

Morgan is still working his way through a groin strain that limited him throughout his rookie season, he said.

Morgan spoke highly of 49ers newcomer Jimmy Williams, calling him "the best corner I've ever played against." Morgan and Williams were teammates at Virginia Tech. Williams flamed out with the Falcons and now finds himself trying to rebuild his career with the 49ers as a strong safety.

Morgan said he is not worried about learning Jimmy Raye's system. "People said Mike Martz had the hardest playbook in the league. If I can learn that (as a rookie), I can learn anything."

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
For the first time in decades -- perhaps in the history of the organization - 49ers assistant coaches have been ruled off-limits to the media.

Coach Mike Singletary said at some point in the future he will make his assistant coaches available to the media "on a limited basis." Several media members requested interviews with new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye this minicamp, but the 49ers' public-relations department relayed word that Raye would not be available.

"The most important thing for us right now is to really look at getting better," Singletary said this morning. "I want our coaches to focus on doing just that. Offensively, we're a little behind the eight ball. Jimmy Raye and his staff have a lot of work to do to get the guys caught up. I don't want them thinking about trying to explain what the offense is and trying to give a rhyme or reason for this or that. Let's get this show on the road. We got to go to work and get it done."

The 49ers have always promoted an open policy with assistant coaches. It might have been one of the reasons the 49ers under Bill Walsh and George Seifert routinely had one of the best coaching staffs in the league. Assistant coaches, such as Mike Holmgren and many others, benefitted from the exposure and the experience in dealing regularly with the media.

Singletary said the decision to limit the access to assistant coaches is not a reaction to some of the "leaks." Last week, Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter reported on ESPN's "First Take" that 49ers assistant coaches expressed dismay that they were kept out of the loop about free-agent signings Brandon Jones and Damon Huard. Trotter reported Jones did not receive high marks as a receiver from the coaching staff.

"It wasn't just last week," Singletary said. "There have been several things written throughout the offseason -- not just last week about communication. I'm confident that those things, we'll handle in-house. We'll get it solved. It has everything to do with staying focused and being on one page and trying to stay true to the course.

"We made a decision to say, 'Let the guys coach and at the appropriate time - and I respect what you guys (media) are doing. I know you need to talk to them at some point in time, we'll do that. Right now, I just feel it's really important to get moving. Get going."

This might not seem like a big deal, but it's a move that could backfire. If the assistant coaches feel as if they are being punished, it might create more reason for them to speak out against Singletary or the organization in off-the-record interviews.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers' Draft Day Party set for April 25th
Friday, March 27, 2009 at 07:37:25 PT | Recommend | Print | Share
49erswebzone.com

The San Francisco 49ers have announced that their Draft Day Party will take place on Saturday, April 25th at the Santa Clara Convention Center. The free event will kick off at 12pm and end at 4pm.

The 49ers will also unveil their new 2009 uniforms during the event. It will be the fans' first chance to see the team's new look.

Please note that 49ers.com's original article had an error in the title stating that the event would take place on April 15th and not the real date of the 25th.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Report: 49ers Closing In On Deal With Marvel Smith
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 26, 2009, 9:06 p.m. EDT
Prospects are increasing that the San Francisco 49ers and former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle Marvel Smith will ultimately strike a deal, according to Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat.

Per Maiocco, contract talks are intensifying to the point where a deal could be finalized in the next few days with the unrestricted free agent.

Smith, whose playing time has been limited for the past two seasons due to a recurring lower-back issue, reportedly didn’t draw red flags during his physical.

If the 49ers complete a deal with Smith, he would be installed as their starting right offensive tackle.

Smith is an Oakland native.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Marvel In, Jonas Out

The expected has occurred, and here's how it was put to me in a call from the 49ers: "The contract of Jonas Jennings has been terminated." While the move was anticipated, it does reflect a difference from what general manager Scot McCloughan said several weeks ago when he responded to a question about Jennings by saying that he was a 49er and that he was under contract.

Did Jennings's decision to stay in Florida instead of participate in minicamp and the offseason program finally force the 49ers to release him? Possibly.
Marvel, here leading the way, is in.

AP

Marvel, here leading the way, is in.

Also the 49ers probably didn't want to make the move unless they had someone to replace him. That's where Marvel Smith comes in. The Santa Rosa Press Democrat is reporting that Smith signed a two-year, $10.5 million deal. Hopefully, Smith isn't nearly as sensitive nor averse to playing nicked up as Jennings was, but he is an older (31) established veteran (went to the Pro Bowl in 2005) with an extensive injury history (he has missed 15 games in the last two years) that could prevent him from being a every-game player.
Jonas is out.

Jonas is out.

Certainly, it was the right move to finally let Jennings go, and the process was admirable. The 49ers didn't release him until they had a replacement. Now the question is, will that replacement be healthy enough to contribute and if so, how much?

Those unknowns make drafting another tackle, even in the first round (no. 10 overall) a real possibility. No team can have enough tackles, and the last few years, the 49ers haven't had nearly enough. The result? 110 sacks over the past two seasons, more than any other team.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The San Francisco 49ers are in the process of scheduling Ole Miss offensive tackle Michael Oher for a visit, according to Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat.

Oher is a projected first-round draft pick.

Meanwhile, the 49ers are reportedly expected to host Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree and Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji for official visits in the next few weeks.

Crabtree is coming off surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot, which prevented him from working out at the NFL Scouting Combine and his Pro Day. Last season, he caught 93 passes for 1,135 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Raji is one of the top defensive linemen available in the draft and is forecasted to go high in the draft.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
time to stick it to nolan

Former 49ers coach Mike Nolan will make his defensive coordinator debut with the Broncos at Candlestick, and the 49ers will visit the new Cowboys stadium during the exhibition season.

The NFL announced the exhibition schedules for all 32 teams this morning. Dates and times have not been set. But this is what we know:

Week 1 (Aug. 13-17): Broncos at 49ers

Week 2 (Aug. 20-24): Raiders at 49ers

Week 3 (Aug. 27-31): 49ers at Cowboys

Week 4 (Sept. 3-4): 49ers at Chargers

3-1! i think the chargers will be the hardest team we play in preseason.

Oct 25, 2006
Former 49ers coach Mike Nolan will make his defensive coordinator debut with the Broncos at Candlestick, and the 49ers will visit the new Cowboys stadium during the exhibition season.

The NFL announced the exhibition schedules for all 32 teams this morning. Dates and times have not been set. But this is what we know:

Week 1 (Aug. 13-17): Broncos at 49ers

Week 2 (Aug. 20-24): Raiders at 49ers

Week 3 (Aug. 27-31): 49ers at Cowboys

Week 4 (Sept. 3-4): 49ers at Chargers

3-1! i think the chargers will be the hardest team we play in preseason.
expect fat ass fights at all four games lol