MY THOUGHTS: Garbage music?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Premo

Face Scrunched Lookn Rude
Aug 1, 2004
NASWIPP. A subdivision of IKSRTFO
i dont think seattle is quite there yet as far as signature sounds i mean who is gonna dictate what sound that is

d-sane ? funk daddy ? syk ? jake one ? mr.hill ? bean one ? yall got filthy producers all day i just dont think the scene is unified out there like it should be

what i think is healthy for the northwest is artists networking out of state , all that type of shit

and basically letting people know that were not just some fucking nobodys out here

we been at it for years and deserve that respect

Oct 21, 2002
yeah most of the producers are dope out here but some of the artists are focusing on one sound most not all are doing the bay slang/persay hyphy or mobb music or the strait east coast dipset/type shit

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
every region has alot of sounds tho...

new york, you cant compare primo to swizz beats

la, you cant compare battlecat and dre,

down south, you cant compare lil jon to jermaine dupree,

the bay, you cant compare mike mosely to traxamillion

north west, you cant compare syko, to me or bosko, to jake one, or funk daddy to d-sane...

were on the right track.. "pop" rap will die out eventually, but good music transend thru times regardless

Oct 21, 2002
well put nonstop the sounds of the producers are on point but a few of the artist out here i think are trying way to hard to be for example E-40- or say 50 cent not the best example but from what i hear in general thats kinda what im hearin..and thats for some not all because i digg at least 75 pecent of the artists in the northwest

Nov 24, 2003
To all those who think that rappers from the northwest are trying to sound like someone else, which rappers are you refering to? I cannot think of any northwest artists off the top of my head that sound like anyone but themselves. Cool Nutz, Crytical, 151, Dividenz, Ricky Pharoah(sp), RHS, Skunt, Twin G all sound preety unique to me, let me know if you feel otherwise. Those are mainly the rappers I listen to from the town, so I cannot speak on anyone else. But rather than just saying "too many rappers from the NW are trying to sound like some else" please give me an example.

Also, implying that anyone is trying to sound like E40 is crazy. 40 has one of the most original styles in the game and any attempt to sound like him would be immediately recognized and ridiculed.

Apr 14, 2003
I'm feelin most of what yall are talkin about...But the thing that fucks me up is everybody wants to be "Northwest", but they wanna be "west coast" at the same time. I think we got west coast flavor up here, but we gotta keep it all Fam in the NW.

Oh yeah and about the wack rappers. I hear so much of this shit...One of my friends got a cd single from a rapper downtown, and it was this guy Featuring craziness...and the fuckin first verse was craziness...the hook was craziness...the second verse was craziness...and the dude spit a pretty weak third verse and a little talking. What is the world comin to?

@On one I wanna holler at you man... whuts up with ya?

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
whats wrong wit bein west coast if your less then 2 hours from the west coast??

so if we aint west coast then pittsburg aint east coast... they need to change there name to the NE..

we ARE west coast, portland and seattle is west coast,

and if denver and las vegas is considered west coast then so should boise, and spokane...

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
The entire left side of the map is the West Coast.

I consider the Northwest where I'm from, I don't label my music westcoast or northwest or eastcoast, my music is just music I don't put a label on it. To discuss that kind of shit is just senseless.

Later.

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
All its going to take is someone being discovered and having a major label push this NW shit to the masses, and it will be no different then St Louis, Long Beach, or any other place that was discovered. Take Nonstop, Cool Nutz, Bosko, Syko, and brand that shit NW, and put a video and major promo push behind it, and the NW will be a nationwide sound. Of course it will take the right song like a Country Grammar or something like that, and you will see a different level of respect for the NW. That will also seperate the oil from the water. Just my 2 Cents though.

Apr 6, 2006
I feel you Nutz. The issue is finding that shit. Unburyin it. Or hell, lettin it pop up and smack niccas in the faces...then REMIX it and introduce a few NW niccas.

Apr 6, 2006
Mr. Nice Guy said:
To all those who think that rappers from the northwest are trying to sound like someone else, which rappers are you refering to? I cannot think of any northwest artists off the top of my head that sound like anyone but themselves. Cool Nutz, Crytical, 151, Dividenz, Ricky Pharoah(sp), RHS, Skunt, Twin G all sound preety unique to me, let me know if you feel otherwise. Those are mainly the rappers I listen to from the town, so I cannot speak on anyone else. But rather than just saying "too many rappers from the NW are trying to sound like some else" please give me an example.

Also, implying that anyone is trying to sound like E40 is crazy. 40 has one of the most original styles in the game and any attempt to sound like him would be immediately recognized and ridiculed.
Its not "sound" in the essence, but its hard to help not wantin to re-entact whats going on somewhere else! Honestly, I RESERVE THE FUCKIN RIGHT to GO DUMB here in Washington, shit, Im from Oakland. Brookfield to be precise. But I dont use that. Its fair to say that niccas can love the music and appreciate our Bayside brethren for the look this way. But since eyes are actually on the Bay, all we gotta do is make a lil noise to get niccas to look upstairs! Just "clearing our throats" or a "cough" aint enough, doggy. :smh:

Sadly, its takin a while to get the gears grinded for National exposure. But its bound to happen. Im not tryna discredit nobody, cause I love some of all my Northwess niccas musics!

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Cool Nutz said:
All its going to take is someone being discovered and having a major label push this NW shit to the masses, and it will be no different then St Louis, Long Beach, or any other place that was discovered. Take Nonstop, Cool Nutz, Bosko, Syko, and brand that shit NW, and put a video and major promo push behind it, and the NW will be a nationwide sound. Of course it will take the right song like a Country Grammar or something like that, and you will see a different level of respect for the NW. That will also seperate the oil from the water. Just my 2 Cents though.
Vancouver is sort of on it's own. None of those artists are affiliated with where I'm at, it's completely different up here, easier I would say. So with that being said, yeah for your region the above does hold some weight. I would throw 151 in there too.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Cool Nutz said:
Would to GOD that you would put such a project together and drop it, not sitting around and waiting for the phone calls.

Groups and consolidated (Parent) Labels are the way of the future. I really give a fuck how many RAPPERS there are out there....what has me pissed off is how many LABELS there are out there, and how every so-called 'superstar' feels the need to leave his original label and start his own.

Then there's the everyone wanting to drop a Solo or Mixtape, instead of doing the group albums and working on being a cohesive unit on stage.

Don't even get me started on the Lotto-ticket rappers that pack their album with features and spend thousands of dollars, hoping for a contract, a de facto bail-out...then it doesn't arrive, they're fucked and end up selling 1000 units, then blame everyone else for their mistake.

"Marketing"..."NorthWest Sound"..."Oversaturated"..."Major Label"..."Radio Play"...I really am getting sick of hearing these things. The NorthWest is the most Counter-culture place in the country, and that Conventional shit is not going to cut it.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
To the music video aspect Nutz brought up, there are so many great songs I've heard over the years from NW artists that could of made amazing videos if done about in the right ways. Videos are a huge part of the business. They have to be done right though otherwise they can be useless.

Apr 6, 2006
Damn, Dirt.

You know what tho? To a point you're right...qand you KNOW IT. Everybody wants their own, and not often to you find someone who genuinely wants to see his/her areas progression...in our case, RE-ESTABLISHMENT.

Cant blame marketing. Market your shit the way you feel it'll work. Reach for them fans that are lookin for your music type. If you're sounding more gangsta than average (X-Rated) dont try to catch the Nelly fans. Do you try to hit the bad bitch or the cute chick thats eyein you already? After you stab, maybe you can cut somethin else off of a referral.

Cant blame the radio...really. If we dont give them somethin they can play, we cant complain. I mean, we can push projects into Kube's inbox all fuckin day, but when it comes down to it, if you dont FIT the ROTATION-you dont fit. Can you honestly say that you can make a mixtape of some of the current good singles in rotation, put one of your songs on there and push play, it will spin with the rest? Or will your sound, quality, density and whatever else not make the grade? Try it.

Cant blame each other. Cause most of us aint workin together. Aint nothin wrong with sharing fans. I mean, thats more noise being made for you. Dont force a collab, if you hit a nicca up and he aint reply or respond wantin to chase that vision---fuck it! Move on. But we HAFTA promote a UNIFIED FRONT, none of that half assed shit previously talked about.

Cant blame Mix. Yes we can. Fuck that nicca! Its all his fault *points finger*. Nah. Thats a joke, but all bullshit aside, follow the leader.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I think Cool Nutz got it right, as soon as there's a push it will happen. The only problem I see in that, is that the NW will end up like the Bay...Oversaturation, leading to shitty music....People get lazy when they get signed and make money. That's the other thing I see as a problem...People being signed...That's great if you wanna make some money, but you aren't gonna have control over what you talk about like you do now that you are ALL independent. Same with your videos, beats, cover, and all that shit. If YOU dont' do it yourself and pay for it, someone else will control it and tell you how to do YOUR shit. So if you don't mind being a sell out, it's not a problem. But I can count the number of people in the NW that I think should make it because of talent (but haven't hit the national level that much already)....Syko, Cool Nutz, Bosko, 151, Neema, Byron Douglas, and D-Sane. There are some others that I haven't listened to yet, like Nonstop, so I can't say shit about him or anyone else I haven't heard....

But I think the idea of letting a mainstream company come in and market shit for the NW is retarded. If you are an artists, and apart of your fucking region, YOU should know your people the best, what they want, how to make them happy, where and when they will show up to a venue etc. Marketing is NOT hard...If you don't have someone that can do a marketing campaign for you, read a couple books on it--the shit is NOT hard. I did one for a course that I took here at CWU and although it took me like a month or two (since I had other shit to do) it turned out being "the best music campaign" the prof had seen. My point is, marketing it NOT fucking difficult. People just need to take their asses out of their comfort zone and go ALL over. Go to fucking sports games, professional and high school. Try looking up population distribution at your local library, and for fuck's sake....don't just stay in the city you're from, go state or region-wide.

This region could have been doin shit awhile ago, but people don't listen to suggestions cause they think they know everything....Either that or they're just too fucking lazy to actually make themself worth something.