MY THOUGHTS: Garbage music?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 6, 2006
Im hearin gthat artists are gettin support...but its the wrong artists being supported? The beautiful (yes, I scoped the Myspace) KAYLN made a helluva comment that got me. YES, there is a learning curve, but you dont master your craft in the public eye, you do that shit behind closed doors. Just like your LP. You record 30 songs and only keep 16. A lot of that shit is trash. Who's job is it to let these dudes thats NOT WORTH THE EFFORT know that they might wanna try being a hypeman or keepin that 9 to 5 that they so hate!?

Who's gonna tell the MrSniccrs and NONSTOPS and Livios and MR.DOGs in the region that we're garbage? Who's gonna make sure that as saturated as the market is elsewhere in the country, and we havent yet begun to take form, that we only put the BEST shit to the forefront of this NW movement?

It's not just on the DJs. And I cant blame radio, because if you dont have that commercial sound, then you dont need to be on the airwaves. This is the NW, buddy...this is Oakland or better yet Sac, where niccas got like 4 stations and they play hometown favorites. Shit, last I know, Kube got rid of the "ROLLCALL" (first time a lot of people had even heard of me) and thats not cool. I dont wanna catch spins on Sundays. I wanna be in that 5 o'clock traffic jam!

But who's to decide what the Northwess sounds like? I mean, some of these artists might not be trash, it might be RAW Northwess. I KNOW sure AS THE FUCK that I dont sound like I'm from home (Oakland) but thats a price that I pay...its somethin I gotta deal with. But we cant all sound like Mix either. Once its established what our region sounds like, we'll have more room to run. Half of us sound like we're somethin rejecte3d from Cali, or somethin mixed with the East or just boo-boo. Hell, I could be one of them boys thats trash!

Who's gonna let niccas know?

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
not a damn soul... niggas is too pussy to tell you what you need to work on...

and the cats that actually have to balls to give constructive critisism are shut out as soon as they opern their mouth and called haters off top.

thats where you have a ACTUAL producer (or someone with an ear that you wont get butthurt over) step in and tell you what they think should go on and what shouldnt make the cut.

you got good points... im glad your askin the questions most people think of, but dont post.. yes this is only the internet, but plant the seed and it will grow...

Apr 9, 2006
yeah i agree with nonstop. Its almost like when your boy puts on some bama ass gear. You would tell em, yo dog that shit is lame. But when it comes to music and you try to tell someone that your shit needs improvement. People take it the wrong way.

Dec 11, 2002
In my opinion.... I dont feel like youre doin' your homie a favor by tellin' him "he's FIRE" or that every verse he spits is "DOPE"... I used to date a 'rapper' (..no need to name names people.. lol..) and I was his sounding board for a couple years.. if the verse was weak I couldnt NOT say, where's the loyalty in that..?

Its good to have someone in your camp thats NOT an artist.. someone who was with you before you hit the stage or got in the booth that can speak up, step up and say "hold up... that hook just doesnt go.." or "... what the..???"

Also-- understand this.... I'M not the one.. :) ..on Raptalk I'd give someone my honest opinion (Ace-a-Spades for example) after several comments like "damn homie you spit fire on that one" or "that was dope" or "I'm feelin' it" and I would come in and tell dude he needed to invest in some quality beats and whatever the 'tingtingting' noise was had me cut the track off at the beginning of the second verse because it was so annoying.. I also told him that a female singing on the hook would soften and give more of a universal appeal to track.... I might have said some other things but you get the idea...
.. NOW.. this type of situation can go a couple different ways because an artist has an ego the size of a football field.... I've gotten "thanks but these are cuts for my niggas, not bitches" or "anyways... anyone else besides this hater gonna give this knock a listen" or "what the fuck you mean turn the beat down and speed up my delivery???" ..lol...

I used to have the time to sit and listen to allll the music folks would send me, now even the CD's I buy sit around and gather dust unless theyre one of the six that are in my ride.. (right now...? Mistah Fab, Juvenile, E-40, Mary J, Cool Nutz Collabos and a custom mix CD) .. and believe me- I realize I'm only one person with an opinion but I'm also a FAN of good music... a FEMALE fan of good music.. a female fan of good music that spends bread every week on music.... can you cater to me???

Dec 11, 2002
And no.. this wasnt directed at MrSniccrs but at artists in general.. the market is flooded with bullshit... there is a serious NEED for good music out there... make it happen and the fans will come..! ..and one thing I've allllways said.. its the business behind the music that makes the music successful, period.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
There is a lot of horrible music here, but that's everywhere too, not just here. But we can't afford to waste time and money on it here. The problem with the artists here who actually do have the talent and potential, is they don't seem like they want it. They aren't touring the country, they aren't doing shit. You can't expect to be successful by sitting on your ass. You have to network and build a fan base. You do that by touring and getting out there. Live on the road for awhile, out of suitcases, expose your music.

If you do that it won't matter how much bullshit is flooded out here, you'll shine regardless. I don't pay any mind to that, I just focus on what I'm doing and if someone needs help I try to help them as best I can but other than that I mind my own.

Criticism isn't going to make a bad rapper good. You either have it or you don't, unfortunately not too many artists can really make good music, and those who can, aren't taking it to the next level.

I don't know.

Jan 9, 2006
www.myspace.com
Mr. Samos said:
There is a lot of horrible music here, but that's everywhere too, not just here. But we can't afford to waste time and money on it here. The problem with the artists here who actually do have the talent and potential, is they don't seem like they want it. They aren't touring the country, they aren't doing shit. You can't expect to be successful by sitting on your ass. You have to network and build a fan base. You do that by touring and getting out there. Live on the road for awhile, out of suitcases, expose your music.

If you do that it won't matter how much bullshit is flooded out here, you'll shine regardless. I don't pay any mind to that, I just focus on what I'm doing and if someone needs help I try to help them as best I can but other than that I mind my own.

Criticism isn't going to make a bad rapper good. You either have it or you don't, unfortunately not too many artists can really make good music, and those who can, aren't taking it to the next level.

I don't know.
I AGREE WIT YOU MAN. TRUE STATEMENT.
I GOT LOVE FOR DA NORTHWEST DOUGH. SYKO, MONTANA MACKS
IM FROM DAGO AND I HEAR A LOTTA MUSIC FROM THESE CATZ.
www.myspace.com/topshelfmacksavageandfilthyric

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
nonstop_ga said:
not a damn soul... niggas is too pussy to tell you what you need to work on...

and the cats that actually have to balls to give constructive critisism are shut out as soon as they opern their mouth and called haters off top.

That's why I dont' say shit anymore. I'll tell people exactly what the fuck I think, if it sucks, I will tell the person they need to work on it, and I give reasons.

I notice a lot of people sayin, "you're wack" etc etc...But then they don't give any reasons...How the fuck you think someone is supposed to get better unless you tell them what you think they are doing wrong? People are fucking morons, if you don't have a reason for saying what you do, DON'T open your mouth.

I've been called a hater by probably most people in this forum at one point or another, even by artists that I'm supposedly "cool with." They get mad when I tell them I think they could do shit differently, or whatever. I'm just a "fan" so what the fuck do I know? I think I know good music when I hear it, unlike most people that just buy whatever is on the radio because it's catchy. Those people might be the bulk of the sales for your ONE album, but they aren't gonna keep buying your shit, cause they aren't REAL fans, they just like that one song you did with so-and-so.

Which leads to this....Artists in the NW have HUGE ego problems. Until you sell 25k albums, you aren't doing shit. That's nice if you can push 1k or 2k, but that's NOTHING. Honestly, it really isn't a grand accomplishment, I could probably sell 1,000 albums if I really put in the work. The artists that are "big" need to start getting over themselves, cause they are NOT superstars by any means. Some cats are humble and cool, but I'd say 9/10 are egotistical, power-tripping, retards. Those dumb ass slutty groupies might think that "I'm a superstar, I'm so cool" type attitude is cool, but to all the REAL fans, those artists are just acting like bitches.

People are incompetant. 95% of people CANNOT do their jobs or do what they say they will do. That's why cream rises to the top and the shit sinks to the bottom. Those that do what they say, have integrity, good work ethic, good networking skills, good promotion, etc will be successful. NOBODY likes a bullshitter or someone that thinks they are God's gift to Earth.

Apr 6, 2006
All good points. Yes, I know its just Siccness.net, but with feedbak, the thread served its purpose.

I dont hold my tongue. In my situation, a lot of my music is East coast influenced because the dude who produces the majority of my shit is from Brooklyn. We argue cause he dont understand half of my slang, and I admit, he's got a great ear, but he dont know our music like that out here, yuhdig?!

I know it wasnt a mark on my happy-egotistical ass, KAYLN, but it needed to be said. Im open-minded...and honest.

I fucks with a lot of dudes...first things first: DONT RUN UP ON ME AT 72ND WHILE IM TRYNA GET MY VODKA ON PUSHIN SOME SHIT THAT YOU HANDWROTE YOUR NAME ON THE DISC!!! Please, half of your soul is in the presentation right? Your homies sayin its good music, but they aint got your shit in the rider? Somethin aint right!!

Dec 11, 2002
MrSniccrs said:
I fucks with a lot of dudes...first things first: DONT RUN UP ON ME AT 72ND WHILE IM TRYNA GET MY VODKA ON PUSHIN SOME SHIT THAT YOU HANDWROTE YOUR NAME ON THE DISC!!! Please, half of your soul is in the presentation right? Your homies sayin its good music, but they aint got your shit in the rider? Somethin aint right!!

THANK YOU.

.. this also applies to any grocery store, shopping mall or parking lot you happen to run into me at... and please.. please dont bust it freestyle when you run up on me.. because all you'll get is a polite smile as I walk around you.

Makin' music is how you plan on eating right? INVEST in your graphics, presentation is everything.. you hittin' the block in some busted shoes and grease stained white tee dont happen, why? because presentation is everything...

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
i think its entertaining, and kind of an honor that people look up to me enough to want to rap for me, and give me there demos.. i listen to everybody.. it gets tiring to almost never hear good music, but i dont mind it most the time...

the thing i hate is seein the horrible ones later on, and them askin "HOW YOU LIKE MY SHIT YO/BLOOD/CUZZ/HOMIE/PIMPIN?!?!?"

im a straight forward dude, so its kinda hard to lie to em, but i just tell em, "KEEP IT UP MY NIG!!" hopefully they get the point when i never tell em it was good...lol

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
I'll tell anybody whats up as far as Multi-Syllables and other advanced Lyricism goes.....the other stuff (Wanksterism, Sounding 'Mainstream', etc.), I don't really touch.

Wordplay is about the only thing that means anything to me, and even then, you have some fools around here (including rappers and producers, who should know better) that couldn't tell you the difference between for example Cam'Ron, Freeway and Jay-Z's rhyme styles (all completely different), and yet think they know all about Lyricism and who can or can't Rap. About the only thing these people are capable of judging is Staying on Beat, and even then, they fuck up often (see: mistakenly saying BD used to go off beat, etc.)

"Real", "Fake", "Mainstream", none of that matters. The people are going to support what they want to support, whether you like it or not. You'd be best to get at those "garbage" rappers that have a following, and try and figure out WHAT it is that makes the fans keep coming back for more (Lyricism, Beat Selection, Vocal Tone, Unique Style, Punchlines).....instead of just hating non-stop and trying to force them to retire.

Oct 21, 2002
criticism will also keep a artist with potential to step game up in some cases if they really are focused or just make the artist quit if there that weak minded its always good to have somone honest no matter if it hurts a few EGOS.
Ohh and in my world when it comes to my music im my worst critic and the hardest on my self like if i dont like why would in th hell would anyone else like it even if thats not the fact it gots me re writtin songs time and time again

Oct 21, 2002
ohh yeah i was wondering why the northwest is so infactuated with the bay area music like i feel most of theese people out here are trying to hard to be E-40 OR Mac DRE does any one else notice this ???

May 2, 2002
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Like Smigg Dirtee says "I don't even like rap no more"...On some real shit, the rap game is over saturated right now. A lot of people say it's on it's last leg and I see their point. It's only a handful of people that I listen to aside from the people I get down with. It absolutely disgusts me that rap is no longer based on skill but on how you are marketed. It's a lot of non talented cats that are eating off this game and a lot of real skilled wordsmith's are broke.

Premo

Face Scrunched Lookn Rude
Aug 1, 2004
NASWIPP. A subdivision of IKSRTFO
Funkzilla said:
ohh yeah i was wondering why the northwest is so infactuated with the bay area music like i feel most of theese people out here are trying to hard to be E-40 OR Mac DRE does any one else notice this ???
i think the northwest should be synonymous with cali like there shouldnt be a seperation between west coast and northwest like I-5 runs thru washington thru california thru portland its all family orientated and i know hella people from the 206 to the 619 so like it shouldnt be the northwest being infatuated with the bay it should be like well thats whats hot on this side right now and people tend to follow whats hot

ask that man notes he be out in the bay as well as the 206 I-5 Connect mayn its all leather and woodgrain

Dec 11, 2002
Notes said:
It absolutely disgusts me that rap is no longer based on skill but on how you are marketed. It's a lot of non talented cats that are eating off this game and a lot of real skilled wordsmith's are broke.

It is a sad truth...