Music News

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
R.I.P. former Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh
by Steven Hyden October 9, 2011

Former Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh was found dead Saturday in a Chicago hotel room. He was 40. Welsh’s body was discovered at 1 p.m. after he didn’t check out of his room, and he was pronounced dead at 2:50 p.m., according to the Chicago Tribune. A cause of death hasn't been determined, though a drug overdose is suspected. In a Facebook post, Welsh said that he planned to see Weezer tonight at Chicago's Riot Fest festival.

Welsh joined Weezer after the departure of original bassist Matt Sharp in 1998. He played on 2001’s Weezer, better known as “The Green Album,” which was the band’s first record in five years and signaled a comeback for one of the alt-rock’s most loved and (at the time) seemingly lost groups. He also toured with Juliana Hatfield that year, but Welsh’s time in the spotlight would prove to be short-lived. Welsh later revealed in a 2007 interview that he had a nervous breakdown brought on by drug abuse and untreated mental illness as Weezer began a three-month European tour.

“Without getting too graphic, by the time the tour was winding up, my weight had gone down to about 140lbs (I'm 6'2") and mentally completely wiped out,” Welsh told the website Rock Salt Plum. “When I returned to the States, my family had made plans for me to see a psychiatrist in Boston. First though, we had to play a few dates around the U.S., and perform on The Tonight Show (which ended up being my last performance with Weezer). By the time I got to Boston, I was a complete nervous breakdown.” Welsh eventually tried to commit suicide from a drug overdose in August 2001, which put him in a coma for few days and then a psychiatric hospital. Weezer hired current bassist Scott Shriner that fall.

Welsh stayed out of the music world for the most part after that, though he occasionally appeared at Weezer shows to play the “Green Album” hit “Hash Pipe.” This past July, he joined the band on guitar for “Undone (The Sweater Song).” Otherwise, Welsh worked as an artist, living as a painter in Burlington, Vermont.

Given Welsh’s history and his young age, speculation on the cause of his death is inevitably venturing into some dark places. The Hollywood Reporter points to tweets left on Welsh’s Twitter page in recent weeks, including this from Sept. 26: “dreamt i died in chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). need to write my will today.” After that he wrote: "correction - the weekend after next." Authorities have launched an investigation into his death.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
just throwing this out there, I know I'm really their only fan on here lol. Just pledged $50 for a shirt + signed vinyl & cd + digital download

Help The Forecast Record Their Next Album

Hi! We're The Forecast! We are a smart, funny, hard-working, and energetic group of honest 20-somethings from Peoria, Illinois. Since 2001, we have taken great pride in releasing 3 full-length albums and 4 EP's and doing countless tours developing and strengthening a wonderful connection to our fans and listeners.

Though we have been rather quiet as of late, behind the scenes we have been writing and demoing a ton of songs and planning for our 4th LP. Usually in the past we have had a label to help us bring the tunes to tangible fruition. This time we are going it sans-label and need YOUR help. Every dollar you donate to our little project will be 100% put towards the cost of making this album.

But don't feel like you're going to only be getting a brand new album out of the deal. Check out the sweet donation-prize packages we have personally put together for you.

So there you have it! We hope you feel as excited and passionate about this as we do, and plan to make our finest album yet, for YOU and all thanks to YOU!!

xoxo,

-dustinshannontonykevin

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1511907425/the-forecast-new-full-length-record

Mar 18, 2003
Jonny Craig held on drug charges
20.10.2011 | LukeC | 3 Comments

Reports are coming in that Dance Gavin Dance frontman Jonny Craig is being held in Solano County, California jail on two counts of possesion of narcotics, two counts of use of illegal drugs, and one count of failure to appear.

Yesterday Dance Gavin Dance announced a hiatus claiming they would not reform until Craig sorts his life out.

Craig is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow. Both Rise Records and Craig's management declined comment.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
http://arcade44.tv/music/podcast-blood-orange/

Another mix by Dev on here(no original songs tho) and an interview.

There’s gonna be new stuff, I’ve been working on some things as Blood Orange. Probably closer in sound to the first mixtape I did—which actually came out before the album, but was written after the songs for the album. It’s closer in sound to that.