Most random / retarded / weird shit you listen to?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
Myself

Folk/Country:
Mary Chapin Carpenter
old Restless Heart

Noise:
Neurosis

Acid Jazz

Techno/Downbeat
Sub City
Sync Synthetic
Four Tet
Antenne
Air

Rock
Vast
Dream Theatre

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
B-Buzz said:
Idiot Pilot
HORSE The Band

If someone isn't open to any kind of music, they laugh at me for liking these two fucking bands.
Idiot Pilot is awesome IMO.

I checked out HORSE The Band and they were cool and all but not something I could really seriously listen too.

I'm out the door, I'll post up mine when I get home.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Probably Hardcore/Gabber. Or UKHardcore (happyhardcore new age, non-cheese shit).

Both being the most extreme, underground, and 'core' styles you can get in the world of electronic music. Extremely harsh beats, sometimes extremely fast and bouncey. Or intense and demonic as fuck. The type of shit people go absolutely nuts to and flip out and start moshing violently in a dark room, even moreso than the hardest of metal you can find. (unless its u.k. hardcore, then its all uplifting and shit. but im not as down with that as i am with the dark shit).

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Alright random/retarded/weird music I like off the top of my head.

Fantômas (One of Mike Patton's many side projects...weird stuff.)
Mike Patton's solo albums
Nelly Furtado's first two cd's....fuck you, laugh if you want lol.

I got a free copy of Angels and Airwaves (Tom Delonge of Blink-182s new band) and I acctually kind of like it (even though I still want to kill Tom Delonge and the rest of Blink-182.)

Same with White Devil I like Neurosis as well.

That's all I can think of right now.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Some more:

I'm a big fan of Sigur Ros (amazing live) and the lead singer made up his own language called Hopelandic for one of their albums and have used it on a few of their others...that's pretty fucking weird if you ask me.

Animal Collective who are kind of like a mix between Psych Folk and Noise Rock.

I like a lot of Frank Zappa's work. I think more or less everyone in this forum knows about him.

John Zorn - Don't know about him...look his work up...it's some pretty amazing/interesting stuff.

TV on the Radio - Their a band from NYC who's music spans genres as diverse as free jazz, a cappella/ doo-wop, psychedelia and trip-hop. All their stuff is really good IMO.

The Books - Best way I can describe them is to quote part of their page on Wikipedia:
Their music is a mix of aleatoric music, electronica, folk, acoustic music (Paul is a cellist and Nick plays acoustic guitar), using lots of samples of sounds, speech and music.
Great topic btw White Devil.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Zappa is quality... so is TV On The Radio (Who toured with the Faint, im a huge Faint fan if anyone knows of them. Electro-rock)

Hmm lets see.... I dunno if anyone knows about Shpongle but they are one of the groups in my life that redefined the entire way I look at music. Really tribal, psychedelic ambient (sometimes psytrance-ish but always organic, never "techno" feeling) producers.. include a lot of drums and trippy structures in their music. To most of the American population, they'd definitely be considered "weird", which makes me like any artist that much more.

I dunno, I cant really name any "rock" that I think would be considered random or weird. Even the really electro/futuristic stuff like Faint and Orgy, its all fairly acceptable and not out of the norm I guess. The world of electronic music is where the path shoots off the regular acceptance level and becomes an "abnormal" type of sound to American culture as a whole.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
You ever check out Animal Collective Psilo? I think you might really dig their stuff if you haven't checked it out.

Plus I think by "random" White Devil means like stuff out of the ordinary of what you usually listen to.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Nuttkase said:
The Books - Best way I can describe them is to quote part of their page on Wikipedia:
I just got a 1+1= 2 moment.
How about the Idiot Pilot quote they got from some paper. Without a doubt, the best music review quote I've ever seen... "Idiot Pilot is the musical equivalent to a monkey with a hand grenade."
What makes it so great is that it's so fucking true.