More problems in Denver... I love it

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 16, 2005
I like the Broncos because they have a zone blocking scheme on their o-line. I love zone blocking and it pretty much produces a 1,000 yard running back every year, no matter how good the running back is.

I don't know what McDaniels has in mind, but if he keeps to the zone blocking running game, it really doesn't matter if they have a god at QB or an amazing WR. Just get an accurate QB, a couple competent receivers (Marshall and Royal, or just Royal), rely on the run but keep the pass alive.

This ALWAYS worked for the Broncos. Their problem last year was their defense. The reason Cutler and Marshall had so many passing yards was because the D sucked ass and they were playing from behind all year.

Doesn't matter if Cutler, Marshall, or any other offensive back leaves. The Broncos were smart enough to focus their offseason on defense. If they get better on D, and maintain their O line, I think they can rely on the run and surprise a lot of you.

but but but

hahaha i totally agree!

granted still dont think we fixed defense enough yet but they are at least trying!

Apr 25, 2002
I like the Broncos because they have a zone blocking scheme on their o-line. I love zone blocking and it pretty much produces a 1,000 yard running back every year, no matter how good the running back is.

I don't know what McDaniels has in mind, but if he keeps to the zone blocking running game, it really doesn't matter if they have a god at QB or an amazing WR. Just get an accurate QB, a couple competent receivers (Marshall and Royal, or just Royal), rely on the run but keep the pass alive.

This ALWAYS worked for the Broncos. Their problem last year was their defense. The reason Cutler and Marshall had so many passing yards was because the D sucked ass and they were playing from behind all year.

Doesn't matter if Cutler, Marshall, or any other offensive back leaves. The Broncos were smart enough to focus their offseason on defense. If they get better on D, and maintain their O line, I think they can rely on the run and surprise a lot of you.
I agree about the zone blocking scheme in Denver producing a good running game no matter who the back is, but it DOES matter that they lost Jay Cutler and it WILL matter if they lose Brandon Marshall. The fact of the matter is their running game will not produce if the other team is focused on stopping it, no matter what blocking scheme they have. The passing game needs to keep defenses on their toes and not allow them to stack the box, and losing one of the best QBs in the league and your most productive wide receiver is not going to help your passing game, which will not help the running game.

It seems Denver can't catch a break after firing Shanahan, but who didn't see this coming? As soon as they named Josh McDaniels as their coach I had a feeling he was going to want Matt Cassel and Cutler would be out the door. I thought they would at least get another good QB in there to try to replace Jay Cutler, but that never happened. McDaniels went about it all wrong. Now their number one wideout wants out. This is all bad for Denver. At least they have Eddie Royal though.

Another thing.. With how bad their defense was last year, they made a big mistake bringing in Mike Nolan to try to fix it. When he was here in SF he couldn't even decide what kind of defense to run, but insisted we were a 3-4 team. Denver better hope he doesn't do the same shit over there or their defense might get even worse than it was last year. When his ass got fired and Mike Singletary took over and stopped using Nolan's hybrid defense and prevent scheme our defense got a lot better and players were able to do what they're supposed to be doing. They went from the bottom of the league to 13th overall at the end of the season when Singletary took over. Mike Nolan can find some good players and bring them in, but he cannot coach them or develop them for shit and his schemes are complete trash.

All that being said, I feel sorry for Denver because they weren't a bad team last year (because of their offense, their defense was just awful) and they had a shot at the playoffs, now they just look like they're headed for a very, very bad season. Scary1, I don't know how you feel about all this shit, but I'd be depressed. It kinda reminds me of the Niners 2004 offseason, and we all know how bad that turned out for us.

Before anyone says anything.. Yes, I know I've been gone for months. Everyone should be used to that because I only post in this forum during football season. I'm early this year, but I got bored. LOL.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I agree about the zone blocking scheme in Denver producing a good running game no matter who the back is, but it DOES matter that they lost Jay Cutler and it WILL matter if they lose Brandon Marshall. The fact of the matter is their running game will not produce if the other team is focused on stopping it, no matter what blocking scheme they have. The passing game needs to keep defenses on their toes and not allow them to stack the box, and losing one of the best QBs in the league and your most productive wide receiver is not going to help your passing game, which will not help the running game.
You're right - losing Cutler and Marshall can only hurt the team. Its not an improvement at all and it does matter. I'm just saying - if the D gets better, this isn't necessarily the fall of the Broncos. If they made all of the trades and drafts that they got this summer for D, and kept Cutler and Marshall - they'd be legit contenders for the SB.

All I'm saying is that if their D and running game stays, they're legit contenders for 2nd place in the AFC West. Not 4th.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
You're right - losing Cutler and Marshall can only hurt the team. Its not an improvement at all and it does matter. I'm just saying - if the D gets better, this isn't necessarily the fall of the Broncos. If they made all of the trades and drafts that they got this summer for D, and kept Cutler and Marshall - they'd be legit contenders for the SB.

All I'm saying is that if their D and running game stays, they're legit contenders for 2nd place in the AFC West. Not 4th.
I will agree with the first part, losing cutler & marshall would be real bad for the team. but saying that if they had kept cutler & marshall they'd be Superbowl contenders? :confused: had they kept Shanny & Cutler they'd win the division probably easily. SD is on the decline, KC ain't doing shit, and the Raiders are making steps in the right direction but not yet up to speed. I don't think they could compete with teams like the Patriots or Steelers tho.

But who cares. There's no Shannahan, no Cutler and possibly soon no Marshall. McDaniels would be the dumbest man alive if he changed the zone blocking system, but I hope he does! :cheeky: I doubt it tho. That's what's always worked in Denver and it proved to be tremendously beneficial when their running backs were dropping like flies last year for example. It would be interesting if somehow he ends up on the Bears.

Also Denver just signed Brandon Lloyd, so I have a reason to post this:

:cheeky:

OH NO! They're throwing something at me! DUCK!!!!!

Apr 25, 2002
if the D gets better, this isn't necessarily the fall of the Broncos. If they made all of the trades and drafts that they got this summer for D, and kept Cutler and Marshall - they'd be legit contenders for the SB.
Well with Cutler being able to move the football the way he did last year, I think the Broncos could have been legit contenders for the SuperBowl if they had a decent-to-good defense, so I don't see why it would be any different this year if they had the same guys on offense and improved their defense dramatically. I know it sounds dumb because the Broncos are projected to be an awful team this year, but what you said has a lot of truth to it. Their offense was able to move the ball and put up points, it was their defense that couldn't get it done.

That being said.. Firing Mike Shanahan was the fall of the Broncos. McDaniels came in and fucked everything up with their franchise QB and now he's in Chicago, then he went and hired Mike Nolan as the defensive coordinator, which in my opinion was a massive mistake. Even if the Broncos went out and got a load of good defensive players, there would still be a very good chance of them being an awful squad because of Mike Nolan's schemes. He doesn't allow his defense to be aggressive AT ALL. He plays "not to lose" as opposed to playing TO WIN. Look how bad the Niners defense looked when he was around as compared to how they regrouped and performed under Singletary. People don't get how important coaching really is. The only way I see their defense improving is if McDaniels forces Nolan to be more aggressive with the playcalling and change his retarded ass schemes and packages.

As for the gif of Brandon Lloyd being a little bitch.. It's funny to laugh at that shit, but nobody was laughing when he pulled off those nasty one-handed circus catches. The dude is a pussy, but he was an exciting player to watch.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
That being said.. Firing Mike Shanahan was the fall of the Broncos.

As for the gif of Brandon Lloyd being a little bitch.. It's funny to laugh at that shit, but nobody was laughing when he pulled off those nasty one-handed circus catches. The dude is a pussy, but he was an exciting player to watch.
yup...it was stupid to fire him.

and yeah, lloyd would make some tight ass catches

With the return of Merriman, Chargers will win the division.
duh, most already knew that.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I will agree with the first part, losing cutler & marshall would be real bad for the team. but saying that if they had kept cutler & marshall they'd be Superbowl contenders? :confused: had they kept Shanny & Cutler they'd win the division probably easily. SD is on the decline, KC ain't doing shit, and the Raiders are making steps in the right direction but not yet up to speed. I don't think they could compete with teams like the Patriots or Steelers tho.
!
IF the D stepped it up, they'd be Superbowl contenders. If they had Cutler, Marshall, Royal and the same running game as normal, a good D would have put them in the running. Even without Cutler, they have a decent QB who can rely on the running game (Buckhalter, Moreno, Jordan).

I'm not worried about the O at all. My big concern was their D and I'm pretty impressed. I like their offseason moves (but it might take a little while for that D to play as a group). I know they're transitioning to the 3-4, but that pays off in the long run. Dumervil and Moss will probably play better in that scheme. The secondary is better (IMO Dawkins coming in for Lynch is a huge upgrade), they drafted and traded for corners, the Bailey bros will be healthy.

But I do agree with you....they can't compete with the Steelers :)

Oct 18, 2008
Wow Broncos are falling apart

The Denver Broncos said Monday they are aware of a radio report of a recent trade request by star receiver Brandon Marshall.

On Tuesday, Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, confirmed the reported trade request to FOX31 sports in Denver and said the Broncos would try to accomodate the request.

Jack Dempsey / Associated Press
Brandon Marshall was voted to his first Pro Bowl last year.

"Yes there was a meeting between Brandon, and Mr. [Pat] Bowlen. There was a request for a trade. Mr. Bowlen has said that ownership will do everything in it's power to accommodate his wishes," McGuire said.

The Broncos have yet to comment on any of the reports. McGuire did not return messages from The Associated Press.

It was first reported by Adam Schefter on the Broncos' flagship radio network, KOA in Denver, that Marshall requested a trade during a meeting Friday with team owner Pat Bowlen.

Marshall, who skipped Denver's mandatory minicamp last weekend, walked out of the meeting with several boxes of belongings and didn't speak with reporters as he drove out of the team's parking lot.

If Marshall gets a ticket out of town, that will make two Pro Bowlers who won't be back in 2009. Cutler forced a trade to Chicago after a falling out with new coach Josh McDaniels.

The Broncos' other Pro Bowler, center Casey Wiegmann, also has asked for a better contract but he participated in last weekend's minicamp and other offseason work.

Apr 25, 2002
Cutler really isn't that good. He had 18 interceptions last season. He averaged more than an interception per game.
He also had over 4,500 yards and 25 TDs. Add to that the fact it was only his 2nd season starting and he was asked to do too much because of their awful defense.. Cutler is very good. Don't fool yourself.

Peyton Manning had high INT totals his first 4 seasons and then started making wiser decisions as he gained experience. Cutler can easily do the same.

He's very good right now as it is, and will only get better with more experience. Saying he isn't really that good is ridiculous.

Jun 30, 2007
He also had over 4,500 yards and 25 TDs. Add to that the fact it was only his 2nd season starting and he was asked to do too much because of their awful defense.. Cutler is very good. Don't fool yourself.

Peyton Manning had high INT totals his first 4 seasons and then started making wiser decisions as he gained experience. Cutler can easily do the same.

He's very good right now as it is, and will only get better with more experience. Saying he isn't really that good is ridiculous.
He also has never been to the playoffs, been traded, led the Broncos to a horrible collapse, and has an overall record under .500. Plus the only reason he had that many yards and TD's was because they played from behind and had no running game.