More problems in Denver... I love it

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4254541

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall missed a mandatory minicamp on Friday but met later in the day with coach Josh McDaniels.

"We're going to do the best thing we can for the organization and for Brandon," McDaniels said before the meeting. "If those two things are the same, then it will work out. That's what we're attempting to do right now."

The meeting included Marshall's agent as well as team owner Pat Bowlen.

After the meeting, Bowlen told ESPN's Ed Werder that he has a good relationship with Marshall and said, "I'm very keen on having Brandon play for the Broncos."

Marshall is due $2.2 million this season, the final year of a four-year contract he signed as a rookie.

He drove away from the team's training complex after about 1 hour, 15 minutes but didn't stop to speak with reporters.

Marshall also missed part of the Broncos' optional passing camp earlier this spring after hip surgery, but his agent, Kennard McGuire, said at the time it wasn't a ploy to seek a contract re-negotiation.

McGuire didn't reply to an e-mail seeking comment Friday.

Werder reported that McDaniel said Marshall would be fined for his absence, which could cost the receiver up to $9,070 if he misses the entire mandatory minicamp.

It was McDaniels' second faceoff with a high-profile player. Quarterback Jay Cutler became disenchanted when he learned the team had talked about trading him. When McDaniels and Bowen were unable to patch things up with Cutler, they traded him to the Bears.

Asked Friday if he thought the Broncos could settle things with Marshall, McDaniels said: "Whether this does or doesn't get fixed is something that's going to play out in the future."

Because of the surgery, Marshall had not been expected to work out during Friday's minicamp, but team officials said he was required to attend meetings and work with medical personnel.

The Pro Bowl receiver has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns during his three-year Denver career. He's had at least 100 receptions each of the last two years.

Marshall recently avoided legal and league problems over his March 1 arrest this year in Atlanta on misdemeanor battery charges stemming from a fight with his fiancee.

The charges were dropped last week when both Marshall and his fiancee, Michi Leshase Nogami-Campbell, refused to testify against each other. Earlier, the NFL decided against any punishment.

However, he is still facing a trial on two misdemeanor battery charges stemming from a March 2008 arrest involving Rasheeda Watley, a former girlfriend. The trial, which had been scheduled to open June 11, has been postponed until August.

Information from ESPN reporter Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Nov 15, 2007
dammnnn this is a fucking shame... the broncos cant catch a fucking break, especially since this is my 2nd favorite team...

they fucked up geting a new coach...

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Cutler and Marshall were the 2 best things that team had... they already lost Cutler... now they got problems with Marshall

Oct 18, 2008
^gOO KILL yourself^

Queffs aint gonna do a god dam thing man!

Lj fucking sucks as well..... and he dont even want to be a bitch ass chief

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
I aint worried about Denver much, Cutler is a pretty good QB and he has way better WRs in Denver than he ever had in Chicago, so losing Cutler wont hurt all too much.

Figures a Raider fan would love problems for other teams, since their whole team is a problem, in a bad way

Mar 16, 2005
yaaaawwwnnnnnn. anyone that thinks Marshall has ANY leverage t ask for a new contract is an idiot! it's mini camp, he will be there when it matters in july.

Threads like this make me laugh because it shows how little some people know about the sport. Lets see so marshall is coming off an injury riddled season, just got yet another altercation with police less than 3 months ago, is seriousdly 1 phone call to poilce away from being suspended for a year or longer, doesn't have his same qb from past 3 years and people still think he has leverage or this is a problem???????

come on people!! he will be there for trainig camp in July, and he may get a small incentive laden contract, but this is ntohing to worry about right now!!!!

Mar 16, 2005
as of my last posting, Marshall has now requested to be traded!! AS WITH CUTLER...see ya brandon!!!!!

Let some toher team deal with the league leader in drops and chance for a year suspension at any given moment. Is he a good talent yes!!!! but give me boldin right here right now and i would be happy. traded Marshall, get another day 1 pick next draft and spend the money marshall wants on boldin!!!!!

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I like the Broncos because they have a zone blocking scheme on their o-line. I love zone blocking and it pretty much produces a 1,000 yard running back every year, no matter how good the running back is.

I don't know what McDaniels has in mind, but if he keeps to the zone blocking running game, it really doesn't matter if they have a god at QB or an amazing WR. Just get an accurate QB, a couple competent receivers (Marshall and Royal, or just Royal), rely on the run but keep the pass alive.

This ALWAYS worked for the Broncos. Their problem last year was their defense. The reason Cutler and Marshall had so many passing yards was because the D sucked ass and they were playing from behind all year.

Doesn't matter if Cutler, Marshall, or any other offensive back leaves. The Broncos were smart enough to focus their offseason on defense. If they get better on D, and maintain their O line, I think they can rely on the run and surprise a lot of you.