MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
John Howard vs. Dennis Hallman in the works for UFC 106 in Las Vegas

Welterweight Dennis Hallman's (41-12-2 MMA, 1-3 UFC) first opponent in his return to the UFC has been determined, and "Superman" has agreed to meet John Howard (12-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 106.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the proposed matchup from sources close to the event. Both fighters have verbally agreed to the contest, though bout agreements have yet to be distributed.

Though not yet officially announced, UFC 106 is expected to take place Nov. 21 in Las Vegas with a headlining heavyweight title fight between current champ Brock Lesnar and top contender Shane Carwin.

Hallman returns to the UFC for the first time since an October 2005 loss to Jorge Rivera at UFC 55. Hallman has gone 7-1 since that defeat, a stretch that includes victories in five different organizations.

Despite a 12-plus-year career that includes more than 40 wins, Hallman has gone just 1-3 in the octagon. However, the lone win was a 20-second submission victory over Matt Hughes at UFC 29 in December 2000.

Howard is currently riding a five-fight win streak overall, a streak that includes two split-decision wins in his first two trips to the octagon. "Doomsday" most recently fought in a win over Tamdan McCrory at UFC 101 in August.

With the proposed addition to the card, UFC 106 now includes:

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin (for UFC heavyweight title)*
* Mark Coleman vs. Tito Ortiz*
* Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
* Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch*
* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan*
* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah*
* Dennis Hallman vs. John Howard*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
Fight Biz: Fight Time Promotions to battle through recession in South Florida

Six years ago, mixed martial arts was just a curiosity to former boxer Howard Davis, Jr. Today, the Olympic gold medalist is entrenched in the sport as a boxing coach. Promoting is up next.

It's a questionable time to start an MMA organization, amid the carnage of Affliction, EliteXC and the American Fight League. However, Davis sees plenty of potential for a regional promotion based in Florida.

"I see the sport growing, and I want to contribute by building something in South Florida," Davis, who serves as boxing trainer for American Top Team (ATT) in Coconut Creek, Fla., told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "There aren't many events here, and there's a big following in South Florida. We have American Top Team and other satellite gyms that are coming up. Timing is everything, and I think now is the right time. I'm hearing from a lot of investors who want to be involved, and it's coming along well."

With virtually every promotion in the U.S., with the exceptions of the UFC and Strikeforce, feeling the effects of the sluggish economy to some degree, Davis has a challenge in front of him. However, he can find some solace in business history, which shows success can be had during recessionary times. Mainstay companies, such as Microsoft, HP and Disney all took root during economic downturns. Davis' blueprint for success will be shaped, in part, by staging theme-based events that he believes will resonate with MMA fans.

"Our inaugural card is going to be USA vs. Brazil," he said. "Our next show will be the women of mixed martial arts. We're planning our second show for January or February of next year. We'll build each show around a theme."

Davis initially drew up a main event of fellow ATT coach Marcus "Conan" Silveira vs. Ray Mercer for his first show, scheduled for Dec. 12 at the 3,000-seat War Memorial Auditorium in Ft. Lauderdale. However, the bout was scrapped when Mercer's camp wanted too much money. Silveira (6-4), who last fought in March 2007, is still slated for the featured bout, but the search continues for an opponent.

With a stable of fighters at ATT, Davis shouldn't have a problem filling the 10-fight card, which he anticipates will be a mix of young, up-and-coming prospects and a few established veterans who can help sell tickets. Davis expects to have the fight card completed and to begin to promote the show in earnest by the middle of October.

While Florida will be home for the promotion, Davis has an eye toward long-term growth and feels there are opportunities to expand beyond the South Florida market. Following the December start, he's planning to host six shows in 2010.

Davis knows he will have his share of detractors as he gets Fight Time off the ground. It's a difficult time be starting any business, but initial sponsorship support from Everlast, the U.S. Army and Padron Cigars, and a cable television deal with Comcast SportNet indicate others believe in the concept and in him.

"To be successful in anything, you have to have a drive and motivation, and I'm taking the same drive and motivation I had when I won the Olympics. It's the same thing," said Davis, who compiled a 36-6-1 record in the pro ring before retiring in 1996. "You have to decide what you want to do and have a passion for it, and that drove me to be successful in many things I've done. I just concentrate on what I believe in. I have a complete passion for this. There's a call for it and a need for it."

The 53-year-old Davis, who put up his own capital as seed money to start the promotion, will continue in his role as director of boxing at ATT while serving as head of Fight Time.

Feb 7, 2006
OLYMPIAN CORMIER HEADED TO STRIKEFORCE

The final slot on the TV portion of the Sept. 25 "Strikeforce Challengers: Kennedy vs. Cummings" event will go to two-time U.S. Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier.

Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz confirmed Cormier's signing with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said the fighter's opponent should be finalized in the next day or two.

Cormier, the latest in a long line of former Oklahoma State wrestling standouts who have moved to MMA, will make his pro debut at the event, which airs on Showtime and takes place at SpiritBank Event Center in Bixby, Okla.

AOL FanHouse first reported last week that Cormier was expected to debut as a light heavyweight at the upcoming show.

Cormier enters Strikeforce with impressive amateur-wrestling credentials. The Louisiana native was a three-time state high school champion, a two-time junior-college champ at Colby Community College, and an NCAA Division I national runner-up at OSU. Among his many post-college accomplishments are a spot on the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and an appointment as the 2008 Olympic team's captain.

Other OSU Cowboys who have recently found MMA success include Jake Rosholt, King "Mo" Lawal, Johny Hendricks and Shane Roller.

As MMAjunkie.com reported last month, Cormier is now training in California with the famed American Kickboxing Academy in preparation of his MMA debut.

Feb 7, 2006
Welterweight Rick Story agrees to meet Brian Foster at UFC 103 in Dallas

Welterweight Rick Story (7-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has agreed to a "UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort" slot on less than two-weeks' notice, and the Portland, Ore., native is now expected face UFC-newcomer Brian Foster (11-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at the Sept. 19 event in Dallas.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned from sources close to the event that Story has verbally agreed to the preliminary card contest, though bout agreements have yet to be signed.

The opening was created when Foster's original opponent, Paul Daley, was pulled in favor of a main-card bout with Martin Kampmann.

In his second appearance for the organization, Story looks to rebound from a unanimous-decision loss to John Hathaway at UFC 99 in June. The disappointing defeat snapped a six-fight win streak for Story.

Foster brings a three-fight win streak into his UFC debut. The H.I.T. Squad-trained fighter has won nine of his past 10 overall.

With the UFC apparently filling in the one hole that remained on the UFC 103 card, the re-completed event includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

* Vitor Belfort vs. Rich Franklin
* Junior Dos Santos vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
* Paul Daley vs. Martin Kampmann*
* Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg
* Hermes Franca vs. Tyson Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller
* Tomasz Drwal vs. Drew McFedries

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)

* Steve Lopez vs. Jim Miller
* Nick Lentz vs. Rafaello Oliveira
* Brian Foster vs. Rick Story*
* Jason Brilz vs. Eliot Marshall
* Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Igor Pokrajac
* Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rob Emerson

Feb 7, 2006
Terry Etim to face Shannon Gugerty at UFC 105

In the past, when the UFC puts on shows in England, they tend to pack the card with numerous British fighters who are happy to be fighting in front of their home crowd. Well, UFC 105 will not be any different.

According to Fighters Only Magazine, England’s own Terry Etim (13-2) is expected to face Shannon Gugerty (12-3) on the November 14 show currently set for the Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England.

This will be Etim’s seventh appearance in the Octagon in just over two years and his third appearance this year. The lightweight fighter is currently on a three-fight win streak in the UFC with his last win coming against Justin Buchholz at UFC 99 where he picked up the victory in the second round with an impressive Brabo choke.

Gugerty on the other hand is coming off a very impressive win at UFC 100 where he defeated Matt Grice with a guillotine choke in the first round. That victory improved Gugerty’s overall UFC record to 2-1.

The UFC has yet to officially announce anything for UFC 105, but below is a full list of bouts that are expected to take place:

Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang

Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Matt Brown vs. James Wilks

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. To Be Announced

Aaron Riley vs. Ross Pearson

DaMarques Johnson vs. Peter Sobotta

Andre Winner vs. Roli Delgado

Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty

Feb 7, 2006
The Champion’s Clause: An MMA Comparative

A few weeks ago MMAPayout.com examined how Anderson Silva might avoid the “champion’s clause” in his UFC contract in order to seek the oft-rumoured boxing match with Roy Jones Jr. While Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, has since cleared the air with regards to Silva’s intentions, the situation nonetheless has provided an opportunity to shed more light on the champion’s clause – it may surprise you to know that the UFC isn’t the only organization with such a contractual obligation.

UFC version:

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”

Strikeforce version:

The initial term of this Agreement shall commence upon the date of this Agreement is signed by Fighter (Effective Commencement Date”) and shall expire two years from the date that Fight er signs this Agreement or two years from the first bout in which Fight er fights hereunder whichever is the later date, unless terminated or unless extended or suspended in which case this Agreement shall expire no later than seven years from the Effective commencement date hereof. Fighter grants EXPLOSION the option and the right but not the obligation to extend the term of this Agreement (“extended term”) upon the same terms and conditions except as hereinafter set forth for an additional one year if Fight er at any time during the term hereof holds or held a Strikeforce Championship Title.

Bellator version:

“If, at any time during the term, FIGHTER is declared the champion of his weight class, a Tournament winner, or a Tournament runner-up, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) eighteen (18) months from the Termination Date, or (ii) the date in which FIGHTER has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by PROMOTER following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any reference to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the extension term where applicable.”

Payout Perspective:

The UFC’s clause is the most controversial because it lacks the clarity to be definitive. The consensus seems to be that most courts would interpret the clause to stipulate a one-term only extension of the contract. However, a very strained interpretation of the clause – one where “Term” could also refer to Extension Term – might allow the UFC to automatically renew the contract in perpetuity, so long as the fighter holds the belt at the end of each term.

The wording is so difficult that the matter would likely end up in court should the UFC choose to contest the issue; something that would effectively serve the purpose of the champion’s clause in keeping a fighter away from rival organizations. The wording also raises many interesting questions such as whether the UFC could appoint someone as champion in order to trigger the clause, or whether a champion could in fact resign or relinquish the belt to avoid the clause.

If, indeed, the UFC’s clause is interpreted to be a one-time extension of the contract, it would appear to be far less restrictive than both the Strikeforce and Bellator clauses. Whereas the UFC clause might only be triggered if a fighter holds a championship at the time of his contract’s “Termination Date,” both the Strikeforce and Bellator clauses are triggered if and when a fighter wins a championship at any time.

Are these restrictions a bad thing? It depends on your perspective.

MMAPayout.com’s Robert Joyner has tackled the subject previously when looking Inside the Bellator Contract, and he highlighted a very important point: champion’s clauses are a necessity from an organizational standpoint, because they’re “self-fulfilling” talent retention mechanisms (particularly in the case of Bellator whereby not just champions, but even contenders are re-upped for an additional term).

It’s simply in an organization’s best interest not only to avoid having a fighter leave with a belt or gain substantial negotiating leverage, but also to help retain top-level talent for competitive reasons.

However, from the perspective of the fighter, these types of clauses hinder their ability to cash-in on their in-cage or in-ring success. The fighter isn’t able to immediately hit the open market, or use the leverage of such a potential scenario, to establish contract terms and sell his services for fair market value.

Not surprisingly the rest of MMA’s stakeholders will take sides according to their own positions within the community. Sponsors will side with the UFC, because more stars mean a better product which attracts more attention to their advertised brand. Fans will side with the fighters as the public seemingly always does when it comes down to employer vs. labour. The government is left somewhere in the middle, hoping that nothing becomes too restrictive or too lax that control is lost and regulatory equilibrium thrown out of balance.

…thus it would appear these MMA organization’s aren’t the only ones looking out for their best interests.

Feb 7, 2006
Anderson: “Wanderlei is amazing”

Anderson Silva and Wanderlei Silva are former Chute Boxe athletes and used to train together and fight with the other one in the corner, but Wanderlei’s decision to move to the middleweight division in the UFC started a bad situation between both. But, before the UFC 102, they met at the hotel and ended with the polemical. “It never happened anything between us... Wanderlei is crazy (laughs), he’s crazy, but it’s ok, we’re ok”, said Anderson to TATAME.com’s Marcelo Alonso, after the event. “He knows all my critics are positive, that I know his talent… We’re together, Wanderlei is amazing”.

Feb 7, 2006
Coach: “Dos Santos is a knockout artist”

After Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira’s victory against Randy Couture, Luiz Dórea, the Brazilian’s boxing coach, goes back to the gym to work on Junior “Cigano” dos Santos striking to face Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 103. “The training are great, Rodrigo will stay with me at the corner and we’ll go for another victory”, said Dórea, praising Dos Santos game for the fight.

“He’s a very talented guy, everybody is very impressed with him. He is, for sure, one of the best boxing fighters in the world. He’s very strong and fast for this division, seeks the knockout all the time… He’s a knockout artist”, told the coach, respecting Cro Cop. “Mirko is a great athlete, deserves all the respect, but that’s why we’re going inside him. Cigano has everything to win and we’re confident on that”, guarantees Dórea

Feb 7, 2006
Mizuto Hirota has relinquished his Cage Force Lightweight title

A press conference was held today in Tokyo with SENGOKU Lightweight champion Mizuto Hirota present. His relinquishment of the Cage Force Lightweight belt was made official. The main reason is that it’ll be difficult to defend both belts at the same time (both organizations use 5 round title fights as well). Hirota said: “It’ll be difficult to fight fighters such as Koyama and Hironaka while defending the SENGOKU belt”.

GCM and Hirota’s camp both discussed this beforehand so there are no negative feelings between them. Koyama and Hironaka were also present at the same press conference and their fight was officially changed to a 5 round title fight.

Feb 7, 2006
BRYAN TRAVERS SIGNS WITH STRIKEFORCE

Considered one of the top lightweight prospects in the sport, Bryan Travers has signed a five fight deal to compete in Strikeforce as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the negotiations on Monday.

Travers, a former Palace Fighting Championships welterweight champion, has amassed an impressive 13-1 record, and now competes at 155 pounds, where he expects to find immediate success.

A product of the wrestling program at Bakersfield College, Travers has added a strong jiu-jitsu game as well working under Dan Camarillo, currently holding a purple belt on his way to a brown.

While there is no set date on his debut, Travers could end up on the Strikeforce card in November, which is likely to feature the heavyweight tilt between Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers.

As the Strikeforce lightweight division tries to solidify one champion, with current titleholder Josh Thomson recovering from an injury and interim champion Gilbert Melendez chomping at the bit for a rematch, the addition of Travers helps bolster a tough 155-pound weight class.

Feb 7, 2006
Gegard Mousasi: ‘Paulo Filho is a little donkey on steroids’

“What happened when [Filho] came to America, he got beat up really bad. Now he’s back in Japan and he feels like a kid in a candy story. He can use all kinds of steroids and I think the steroids have gone to his head. He didn’t perform the same as he does in Japan as he does in America and now he suddenly has a big mouth again. I would say that he’s a little donkey on steroids. He thinks he’s a running horse but he’s more like a little pony. I really believe that he used steroids. He also backed out a couple of times when he had to fight Chael Sonnen. He said he was crazy. Maybe he is crazy, I don’t know. I think he wasn’t feeling very good mentally because he cannot use his magic stuff. I also fight in Japan and I don’t use anything. If there’s an athletic commission test, he can fight me everywhere, everywhere he wants.”

Feb 7, 2006
Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago expected for UFC 107

A rumored match up between Thiagos is being reported for part of the UFC 107 card in December.

According to a recent report on MMAMania.com, Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago is currently in the negotiation stages and verbally agreed to by at least one of the fighters.

UFC 107 is set for December 12th at the Fedex Forum in Memphis, TN.

Paulo Thiago is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Jon Fitch back in UFC 100, serving as his only defeat as a professional. This will mark the third tough opponent for Thiago, since debuting with a stunning upset knockout victory over Josh Koshcheck at UFC 95.

Thiago Alves, considered to be a top five contender in the welterweight division, is coming off a unanimous decision loss himself, to champion Georges St. Pierre. Prior to his loss to St. Pierre, Alves was riding a seven fight win streak, with notable wins over Matt Hughes, Karo Parisyan, and Josh Koshcheck as well.

UFC 107 has yet to be officially announced, but a previously expected main event pitting Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. “Suger” Rashad Evans is off due to Rampage’s recent jump into the acting world.

Feb 7, 2006
Arona: 'I Can Beat Anyone,' Machida Included

More than two years have passed since Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou knocked out Ricardo Arona at the final Pride Fighting Championships event in Japan. Viewed by most as one of the top light heavyweight fighters in the world in 2005 and 2006, Arona disappeared from the mixed martial arts scene in wake of Pride’s demise.

“The Brazilian Tiger” -- who built his reputation, in part, on the back of a 1999 victory over Jeff Monson in the absolute final of the Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships -- will return to MMA this Saturday when he meets UFC veteran Marvin Eastman in the Bitetti Combat Nordeste 4 main event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It will also mark the first time Arona competes inside a cage.

“I always thought the cage was even better for my game,” Arona said. “I like to use elbows on the ground, which I couldn’t do in Pride. Also, I can’t wait to fight for my fans.”

The Brazilian promises to compete at the level that made him successful inside Pride, when he scored wins over two-time Olympian Dan Henderson, former Pride middleweight king Wanderlei Silva, Japanese legend Kazushi Sakuraba and reigning Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem. The 38-year-old Eastman has lost two of his past three fights.

“He is very experienced and deserves all respect,” Arona said, “but I’m well-trained and coming to win and make a great exhibition for my fans.”

Though focused on Eastman, Arona still wants a crack at the American market. The 31-year-old carries with him a strong resume. His only career losses have come to Sokoudjou, Silva, 2005 Pride middleweight grand prix winner Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and the great Fedor Emelianenko.

“I’ll wait for a proposal,” Arona said. “Of course, I would love to fight in the UFC, because it’s for sure the best event, but I’m also studying some other proposals. I’m waiting calmly for my time. I’m ready to do my best in the ring or in the cage.”

Arona indicated he would welcome a shot at current UFC light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto Machida, now the top dog in the 205-pound weight class. The undefeated Machida will defend his belt for the first time against Rua in the UFC 104 main event next month in Los Angeles.

“He’s defending Brazil well in the MMA world, and I respect him a lot, but if I get into the UFC and have to fight Lyoto, I’d go to win,” Arona said. “He’s a great champion, but if I’m well-trained, I know my potential; I can beat anyone.”

Feb 7, 2006
Dan Miller sidelined by infection, UFC Fight Night 19 slot taken by newcomer Jay Silva

An infection suffered by UFC middleweight Dan Miller (11-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) has forced him out of next week's UFC Fight Night 19 preliminary-card fight with C.B. Dollaway (8-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC).

Miller's camp confirmed the ailment with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), and his manager, Mike Constantino, said the infection "is under control, and [Miller] will be OK."

According to MMAMadness.com, Miller's spot on the card has been taken by undefeated UFC newcomer Jay Silva (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

The UFC has yet to announce the change to the card, which takes place Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

Miller, who began his UFC career last year with three straight victories, snapped an overall win streak of nine fights when he suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Chael Sonnen in May. He'll likely get a spot on a fight card later this year.

Taking his place on next week's card is Silva, who turned pro just 14 months ago. However, he's posted five straight wins all by knockout. His latest win came over former EliteXC fighter Ray Lizama at the Aug. 15 Call to Arms II event.

Dollaway, who lost to Amir Sadollah at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale in June 2008, rebounded from the runner-up finish with first-round-stoppage wins over Jesse Taylor and Mike Massenzio. But the win streak came to a halt when Tom Lawlor caught him with a swift guillotine choke at UFC 100 and ended the fight in just 55 seconds.

The latest card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Nate Diaz vs. Melvin Guillard
* Roger Huerta vs. Gray Maynard
* Carlos Condit vs. Jake Ellenberger
* Tim Credeur vs. Nate Quarry

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Steve Cantwell vs. Brian Stann
* Mike Pyle vs. Chris Wilson
* C.B. Dollaway vs. Jay Silva
* Phillipe Nover vs. Sam Stout
* Justin Buchholz vs. Jeremy Stephens
* Brock Larson vs. Mike Pierce
* Ryan Jensen vs. Steven Steinbeiss

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 105 in Manchester, England, officially announced, tickets on sale this week

Ultimate Fighting Championship executives today officially announced its Nov. 14 UFC 105 event, which takes place at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England.

Tickets for the event, which airs via tape delay in North America on Spike TV (and live in the U.K. on ESPN), go on sale this week.

Currently, officially announced fights for the event include Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang and Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim. However, today's release stated an official main event will be announced at a later date.

UFC 105 tickets go on sale to the general public on Monday, Sept. 14 at 10 a.m. BST (5 a.m. ET).

However, UFC Fight Club members can purchase tickets this Thursday, Sept. 10 at 10 a.m. BST. Additionally, UFC.com newsletter subscribers can purchase tickets this Saturday, Sept. 12, at 10 a.m. BST.

Tickets range from £40 to £250 ($66 to $415).

As part of the ticket-sale event, Bisping and Hardy (both of whom are British fighters) are signing autographs on Sunday, Sept. 13 (5:30 p.m. local time) at the MEN Arena box office.

"Both Kang and I are looking to take that next step up the ladder to the top of the division, and there's so much on the line for both of us,," Bisping stated in today's press release. "I have things to prove and cannot wait to go in all guns blazing in front of my hometown fans in Manchester."

UFC 105 marks the second-ever event in Manchester. The UFC first ventured to the city in April 2007 for "UFC 70: Nations Collide," which was just the second U.K. show ever. Gabriel Gonzaga scored a stunning head-kick KO of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Andrei Arlovski topped Fabricio Werdum via unanimous decision, and Bisping scored a TKO of Elvis Sinosic in the night's featured bouts.

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Mitrione's refuse-to-lose mentality vital in NFL and "The Ultimate Fighter 10"

For 15 months Matt Mitrione sat idle in his Jersey City studio apartment. His pad was high enough to provide a picturesque view across the Hudson River of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan's Financial District.

Not that he enjoyed it; that heavenly presentation was part of Mitrione's hell.

Three years earlier Mitrione broke the navicular bone in his right foot, a fracture that marred his senior season at Purdue University. He linked up with the NFL's New York Giants as an un-drafted free agent and played through the pain before it reached intolerable levels during a 2003 NFC Wild Card game in San Francisco.

Surgery was supposed to help, but Mitrione's agony reached the horrific stage. He developed a staph infection and needed seven more procedures, one that cut off his heel and reattached it to build an orthotic in his foot.

"The amount of pain that I took was something I never felt before," Mitrione told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "All I would do for a long time was lie in bed, listen to music and do isometric flexes because I couldn't raise my blood pressure."

He had that covered in San Francisco, when his Giants were on the receiving end of the second-biggest comeback in NFL playoff history. Ahead 38-14, the Giants succumbed to the 49ers, 39-38, the death blow Trey Junkin's botched snap of an attempt at the game-winning field goal. As a kid, Mitrione lost his fair share of street fights and never could shake the feeling of getting his ass whipped.

This, in particular, sucked. Mitrione's foot was screaming in pain, his gut in agony.

"We sat in that locker room and, literally, it was the worst feeling you can imagine," Mitrione said. "Like you just had the – I don't want to ever experience that again."

It was said by Robert F. Kennedy, "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." Mitrione has written his own book of proverbs, beginning with, "I truly believe I am too stubborn to lose." Told his football career was over, he told the messenger, Dr. Phillip Kwong of the Los Angeles-based Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic, "Go to hell."

Two years later he was among the Minnesota Vikings' final cuts before he was re-signed as a reserve defensive tackle.

But this month Mitrione is one of 16 heavyweights vying for a UFC contract on "The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights," the 10th season of the UFC's reality series that premiers Sept. 16 on Spike TV following UFC Fight Night 19. It's the next big step in an athletic career once in paralysis.

"Even though it probably should have been, I've had a lot of pain in there for a long time; I wasn't ready for someone to tell me I was done playing," Mitrione said of his football career. "I was too stubborn."

Mind, body and soul searching beyond tenacious levels are required to live in house with 15 other men under luxurious yet primitive conditions. Phones, television and the Internet are outlawed, and the closest you get to Las Vegas' delicious sins is a view of the strip from atop a loft. Mitrione lived that life for more than three months, away from his wife and two children, and a return to normalcy proved foreign. Everyday errands like riding with the car radio on and talking on the phone were foreign. Being away for Father's Day and returning to find your two-month old aged times two, well...

"I would go on that show again but not for less than half a million," Mitrione said. "That's how much it sucked. It was a grind.

"The house is such a hyper-masculine environment. You're always ready to snap and pop off on anybody. When I got home, it took me about 10 days to two weeks just to be comfortable sleeping in a bed with my wife. I had to really keep my temper in check with my 3-year-old son. I wanted to make sure I didn't pop off on him. The whole mental thing goes beyond the show. It goes into real life when the show is over."

So why do it? Yes, it was a chance for Mitrione to break into the UFC despite his mixed martial arts record of 0-0, but why risk returning to the real word with battle scars and flashbacks?

It's simple: Mitrione is addicted to competition. In his words, "You drop your sack, I drop mine, and let's see who wins." While a rookie with the Giants – remember, he was un-drafted - he never bothered to read anyone's bios. He's fresh to MMA, having trained for less than a year. UFC history to him is more foreign than that of the ancient Sumerians. When teams were picked, all he could tell himself was, "Who's this clown? Is this for real?" During one training session he sat beside final IFL champion and show favorite Roy Nelson and repeatedly asked his name and who he was.

That I'm-better-than-you attitude was immediately apparent when Mitrione met his current training partner, a 10-year veteran of the sport named Chris Lytle. Human relations deems that an immediate turnoff. In the heat of competition, for the right person, that's considered an edge.

"You see that when you first meet him, the way he carries himself and the way he talks," Lytle said. "You're either going to like him right away or you're not. I like it. I don't know if it's cockiness or self-assurance or whatever you want to call it, but you need that. You have to feel you're better than that person and you're going to win the fight. If you don't have that, you're probably going to get hurt."

Mitrione had "it" during his two-position role (defensive tackle/fullback) at Sacred Heart Griffin High School (Springfield, Ill.). He had "it" at Purdue University, where he earned All-Big Ten honors his senior year and finished seventh on the Boilermakers' career tackles-for-loss list.

"It" was enough to impress Giants head coach Jim Fassel, who found a spot for Mitrione as a reserve lineman. The Giants were 6-6 on Dec. 1 of Mitrione's rookie season when Fassel took over the play-calling. His offense responded with 81 points in two weeks (the most they've scored in back-to-back games since Sept. 29 and Oct. 6, 1968) and a blood-and-guts 10-7 win over the Eagles that clinched a Wild Card berth on the season's final day.

Fassel's offense was steamrolling over the 49ers during their playoff game to build a 38-14 lead. On the bench, Mitrione was thinking immediate gratification when left tackle Luke Petigout warned him, "There's so much time on the clock. Don't think too fast." Next thing he remembers was his foot saying uncle, Junkin's botched snap and a pass interference call that wasn't.

Mitrione played two more years without coming close to a shot at redemption. He left football after the Vikings released him in Week 6 of the 2005 season and created a sports nutrition company called Engineer Design Nutrition (EDN).

"I left on my terms," Mitrione said. "I got back to a spot where somebody said I was never able to do. I'm entirely too stubborn to not do what I want to do."

Football helped Mitrione lay the foundation for a fighting career. Being a pass rusher helped use his hips and body to throw and land punches with precision, a system he named "Functionally Fit to Punch You in the Face." His work at EDN hooked him up with a client named Jayson Werth, a slugging outfielder for the Phillies who doubles as a promoter for the Illinois-based Capital City Cage Wars.

Looking to open more doors in MMA, Mitrione cold-called agent Ken Pavia, was introduced to Pavia clients Lytle and Jake O'Brien, and relocated to Indianapolis to train at Integrated Fighting Academy. He was booked for one of Werth's events before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for three months, but he so quickly impressed Lytle and O'Brien that Pavia called "TUF" producers to recommend Mitrione for a tryout.

"I told him he has the skill set to be a star, that the guys were raving about you and this is your chance to get into the UFC," Pavia said. "They gave him a look, and his personality got him on the show."

Win or lose, Lytle sees Mitrione as a trendsetter and a role model for large and nimble athletes to gravitate toward the sport. The next few months will reveal Mitrione's ultimate fate, but he's already talking like he ruled the roost. Even if Nelson provided him with a biography in the form of a knockout punch and you don't see him fighting for a UFC contract Dec. 5 in Las Vegas, Mitrione's will to win is inexorable, so don't expect him to pack up and return to a state of anonymity.

Second place is the first loser. And Mitrione is just too damn stubborn.

"If you're not winning, who cares about you?" Mitrione said. "Tell me who that second sprinter was in that 100-meter dash. Who cares? If you don't win, brother, you're wasting everybody's time."

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Hamill vs. Jon Jones expected for The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale in December

A light heavyweight clash between fast-rising prospects Matt Hamill (7-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and Jon Jones (9-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is expected to feature prominently at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale in December.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that a bout between Jones and Hamill is currently in negotiations, and at least one fighter's camp says verbal agreements are in place.

The bout would be expected to serve in at least a co-main-event role for the Dec. 5 event in Las Vegas. The main card airs live on Spike TV.

Jones will be looking to continue his meteoric rise up the ranks of the UFC's 205-pound division. The undefeated youngster, just 22 years old, has earned wins over Jake O'Brien, Stephan Bonnar and Andre Gusmao in his first three octagon bouts.

Meanwhile, Hamill, a former cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter 3," will be looking to build on the strength of two-straight wins. Back-to-back impressive victories over Mark Munoz and Reese Andy have garnered the 32-year-old some well-deserved buzz, putting behind the sting of a September 2008 loss to Rich Franklin.

Hamill had been expected to fight at UFC 102, but a knee injury suffered in training forced "The Hammer" out of a planned bout with Brandon Vera.

Feb 7, 2006
MAYNARD'S GOT THE PLAN TO BEAT HUERTA

As the lightweight division awaits the next title defense by champion B.J. Penn in December, the list of contenders is constantly growing. The choice for the next top 155-pound contender could be crowned on Sept. 16 when Gray Maynard goes for his sixth win in a row when he faces Roger Huerta at UFC Fight Night 19 in Oklahoma.

Maynard’s string of wins includes victories over Frankie Edgar, Jim Miller, and Rich Clementi. He's hoping to tack Huerta onto the list in what could be the budding actor’s final fight with the UFC. It's no secret that Huerta has expressed his desire to venture onto the silver screen and the fight against Maynard is the last on his current fight contract.

"I'm a guy I keep out of drama and stuff like that," Maynard told MMAWeekly Radio when asked if he was brought in specifically to send Huerta packing. "So if there's anything like that going on, I keep out of it. I don't get involved with nobody's stuff."

If the former "Ultimate Fighter" competitor can get the win over Huerta, he would likely top the list of fighters to get a shot at the winner of B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez, but Maynard says it's still a long road before that happens.

"Of course I've got to get the win, cause if not I don't get anyone," he commented. "I’m just trying to keep going, keep in the gym a lot. I had a scope on my knee after my last (fight) and so I was out for three or four weeks, but I was right back in the gym about halfway through April, so I've got a lot to learn still. Whenever it happens, it happens.

"The more time I can train and actually keep going I think it helps."

One thing fans are guaranteed not to see after the bout between Maynard and Huerta is the Las Vegas based fighter asking for a title shot. He says that will never happen.

"I want it where they come to me and it's like, ‘hey, we want this.’ I don't want to have to ask, it's like, 'please Dana, Joe, give this to me, please," Maynard said. "I hate asking for stuff. I'm not going to ask them for nothing. I want (them) to ask me, 'hey, you're doing great and it’s time.' And of course I'll say yes."

First up though is the match-up with Huerta, who Maynard has studied quite a bit leading into this fight. Despite his opponent's 12-plus month layoff, he feels he will be just as tough as always come Sept. 16.

"Huerta's not a guy who's technical, he's a guy it's all heart, and so (ring) rust on that, I don't know if you have that too much. Huerta's a guy who is all heart so I think he'll be prepared," Maynard stated.

The game plan for the upcoming fight is still under lock and key, but he knows the biggest rule when fighting Roger Huerta is to avoid getting sucked into his style of fight, which has been described as "brawl and maul."

"You have to kind of check who he was going up against. You've got Clay (Guida), and he's that type of fighter too. Everybody knew that was just going to be a crazy just dropping down, drag them out (kind of fight)," Maynard said about Huerta's previous fights.

"Before Clay, I mean, he had some tough guys, but I don't know if anybody had the time or the kind of skill to plan until of course Clay Guida, but his plan is to do the same thing as Huerta, just go in there, it's all heart. Kenny Florian had a plan and so he did good, so I guess we'll see."

In his last fight, Maynard showed off the biggest improvement to his game when he out-boxed Jim Miller en route to a dominant decision win in March. He hopes to continue to develop all parts of his style to be the best fighter in the world.

"I just plan on trying to control it in every area," Maynard stated. "You've got guys like GSP, he's got it in all areas and we're all trying to strive to get there. That's the goal, to be good in every area and control it. Some guys try to be good, I want to be great in all areas."

For the fight with Huerta, Maynard has worked with his regular crew at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas, while working his boxing with coach Gil Martinez and jiu-jitsu with Robert Drysdale. At the end of the day, Maynard knows he's got to put it all together to beat Roger Huerta.

Feb 7, 2006
CARLO PRATER SIGNS WITH MFC, GETS TITLE SHOT

Maximum Fighting Championship on Tuesday announced the signing of Brazilian fighter Carlo Prater to a three-fight deal. He gets an immediate shot at the MFC lightweight championship as part of the agreement.

Prater will face current champion Antonio McKee for the belt at MFC 22: Payoff on Oct. 2 at the River Cree Resort and Casino in Enoch, Alberta, Canada.

"Carlo's credentials are fantastic and he will deservedly get a chance at the title," said MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.

"Few fighters are willing to jump right into a fight with Antonio McKee but Prater didn't waste a second in accepting the challenge. It is a golden opportunity for him and the great part about it is that Prater versus McKee should be a terrific title fight for the fans to watch."

Prater (24-6-1) has won three of his last four fights. He holds a victory over MFC welterweight champion Pat Healy via submission in 2005. He has also defeated UFC veterans Melvin Guillard, Spencer Fisher, and Carlos Condit.

McKee (22-3-2) has steamrolled through his opposition since moving down from welterweight and has not lost a bout since a defeat to Karo Parisyan in February of 2003. The fight against Prater will be McKee's first defense of the MFC 155-pound championship, which he captured in a five-round decision over Derrick Noble at MFC 20.

McKee vs. Prater will be the co-main event of MFC 22 alongside the middleweight showdown between UFC veterans Jason MacDonald and Travis Lutter.

MFC 22 will air live throughout North America on HDNet Fights.