MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
UFC/WEC: Absorption Problems?

Whenever the possibility of a UFC/WEC merger is broached, one of the major arguments militating against a union has been the purported inability of UFC to absorb another two weight classes’ worth of talent (along with, presumably, some lightweight fighters). The point is that UFC already has difficulty giving all its contracted talent the typical three or four fights a year, an argument which has had until now a certain cogency to it. In MMA, however, the times are constantly a-changin’, and with Dana White’s stating that UFC plans as many as three shows a month in 2010, the question might not be whether a UFC/WEC merger is viable, but rather whether it’s a business necessity.

First, although the absorption problem is a legitimate issue under the current schedule, it’s an issue whose primary negative effect is on the lower-level fighters, and not the promotion. In other words, from a fan perspective, it’s difficult to argue that we don’t get to see fighters fight with enough frequency. Indeed, the pattern seems to be that UFC delivers a couple of months worth of star-laden events, which are then followed by more lackluster cards, as the top talent takes a rest. I’ve made the argument that that’s exactly what’s happening in September and October, and I’ll state again that the UFC 104 undercard — aside from its main event — would be worthy of prelim status on a good ppv night. This is a problem that will only be exacerbated by any increase in number of UFC events in 2010.

Moreover, it appears that UFC 102’s numbers will provide further evidence that pay-per-views without title fights (or lacking at least a major grudge match between fighters fans view as superstars) are seen as skippable events. After pulling in approximately 2,500,000 total buys for UFC 100 and 101, Dave Meltzer’s latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that 102’s first projections place it at a disappointing 435,000 buys. As Meltzer notes, this bodes ill for UFC 103, which is headlined by a non-title Vitor Belfort/Rich Franklin fight, and which also goes head-to-head with the Mayweather/Marquez ppv.

Beyond 103, though, which after all is just one night, one lesson is self-evident: as many pay-per-views as possible, ideally all of them, should be headlined by a title fight. The corollary is just as obvious: absorb the WEC’s 145- and 135-lbs. divisions into the UFC, providing two more titles to be defended on pay-per-views. With those divisions under the UFC umbrella, unless UFC goes overboard in stacking cards with multiple title fights, it should have little difficulty in providing at least one title fight per ppv.

UFC has 211 fighters under contract, or at least that’s how many fighters are listed on its website. By my calculations, assuming there are 36 shows in a calendar year, UFC ideally (i.e., each fighter fights three or four times a year) would have somewhere between 200 and 265 contracted fighters. If we assume that the lower level guys fight three times a year, whereas the higher level talent leans towards four fights per year, it seems that UFC could easily absorb 40-50 WEC fighters. When you take into account various business factors, again, absorption becomes almost a necessity.

Almost a necessity. WEC’s biggest obstacle might be its poor brand recognition; as Kelsey has noted, it’s the reason “we’ve yet to see a WEC PPV.” Although it seems that most expect Versus to end up back on DirecTV after a reconciliation, there are currently 6,000,000 fewer people with access to Versus than there were last week, which is simply not beneficial to WEC brand marketing.

One solution — and perhaps an even better one than a straight merger – would be to re-brand WEC as UFC, which would immediately increase recognition of its fighters. This provides Zuffa with the ability to maintain separate brands, and yet it could quite easily place the bigger 135- and 145-lbs. fights on UFC pay-per-views. The biggest obstacle to re-branding WEC as UFC is Zuffa’s contract with Spike television, which gives Spike exclusive access to UFC on basic cable. It seems to me, though, with so much money on the line, that there has to be a solution permitting WEC to re-brand as UFC that would be acceptable to both Zuffa and Spike.

Whether UFC attempts a straight merger or something along the lines of a re-branding, as Mixed Martial Arts prepares to enter its third decade with an ever increasing number of shows each month, the UFC/WEC status quo cannot be maintained. Something’s gonna give in 2010.

Feb 7, 2006
Vitor Belfort open to Couture-Belfort IV

Until UFC 102, Vitor Belfort was the only Brazilian to ever defeat Randy Couture. Back to the biggest MMA event in the world, Belfort will do the UFC 103’s main event against Rich Franklin, but was excited about a possible rematch against Randy Couture, who defeated him twice.

“That’s not a bad idea”, said Belfort, when he thought about the possible fight against The Natural, leaving the decision with Dana White and Joe Silva. “Whatever has to happen, will happen… If Dana White and the fans want it, what can I do? I’ll fight him and try to invert the score”, said the Brazilian, without risking any thoughts about the fight. “How do I think it’d be? Just put us there, my friend… That’s how we see the things”.

Set to return to the UFC in a catch weight bout against Franklin, Belfort said he’s going to return to the UFC as a middleweight, but with Couture’s decision to move to light heavyweight again, the fight can actually happen in the future.

Feb 7, 2006
Teddy Riner! Hunting For Ishii (Updated)

According to Japanese paper Tokyo Sports French Judoka Teddy Riner said that after the London Olympics, he wants to settle things with Satoshi Ishii.

Riner won gold in the 2007 European Championships, gold in the 2007 & 2009 World Championships, and bronze in Beijing 2008. All of these titles, and his date of birth is April 7th, 1989. He won the World Championships as an 18 year old and took bronze in Beijing as a 19 year old. He is 204 cm tall.

In Beijing, a dream final between him and Satoshi Ishii was hyped beforehand but Riner lost a close match in the quarterfinals. He did go on to win bronze however.

When Ishii was brought up in the Tokyo Sports interview Riner suddenly had a serious look on his face. “I want to fight him again”. About punches, Riner says no problem. He got into a lot of fights in his childhood.

Ishii was happy to hear this. “I love Riner. When he came to Japan and was asked if Kosei Inoue is his rival, he said “my rival is Satoshi Ishii”. I want to say thanks to him.”

What Riner means with wanting to fight Ishii again above (I don’t think they’ve faced each other in an official match yet) is that when the French team visited Japan they went to Kokushikan University’s dojo (Ishii’s university) where Ishii and Riner had practice matches many times over.

“Tell him that I’ll be waiting in the MMA ring.” – Ishii

This fight could be promoted in a lot of different ways. Their rivalry, the rivalry between the east and west in Judo, etc. A lot can happen until 2012 though.

Update: It seems his interest in MMA (and basketball) is being reported in French media as well.

There he struck syndrome Usain Bolt. Too strong, already pushed to face new challenges in other disciplines. At 20, Teddy Riner is already triple world champion in judo and the colossus of French judo air to find the tatami too close to it. So it has never hidden her attraction to basketball. Asked by L’Equipe, Riner said he could even play in a Pro one day. “With a lot of practice, I think I could achieve in just two or three years, ’says the giant. The Guadeloupe is said also attracted by the hand.

Meanwhile, Riner think rather find a few new side of the free-fight, a sport a little less polished than judo – and much more profitable – in which the Olympic champion in 2008, Japan’s Ishii has recently converted. Riner had received a phone call from his opponent who absolutely wants a fight with him. “Was never able to cross on a tatami. That we lack, “says Riner to L’Equipe. If the federation of their sport does not allow to go on a tatami, I will challenge him in his sport. “ – 20minutes.fr

Feb 7, 2006
Hardy on Bisping KO, ‘U.K. Fighter’ Mentality

Dan Hardy felt an added sting watching Dan Henderson knock out countryman Mike Bisping at UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas, and not because he was sitting with Bisping’s parents at the time.

“I think one of the first things I thought as soon I saw him get knocked out, was, ‘Oh dear, everyone’s going to be back down on the U.K. again,” said Hardy.

Hardy noted U.S. fans apply a different mentality to accessing U.K. fighters.

“I think all the British fighters will probably agree with me when I say I think that we feel we’re up against it as far as fan support goes,” he said. “I think people expect less of us because we’re from the U.K., because they assume we don’t have the right kind of training and coaching in the U.K., which is why I spend so much time (in the U.S.).”

Hardy stays in the U.S. for months at a time studying from trainers like Freddie Roach and Eddie Bravo before traveling back to England and his Rough House team to share what he’s picked up.

The 27-year-old, mohawked fighter will return to Nottingham in the next few weeks to begin preparation for a tentatively scheduled welterweight bout with Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 105 on Nov. 14 in Manchester (contracts are not yet signed). Hardy, known for his slug-outs with Akihiro Gono, Marcus Davis and Rory Markham, is undefeated in three appearances for the UFC and will likely appear on the main card.

“Everyone’s been down on the U.K. for a little while, and I think that’s partly due to the fact that the British fans are so vocal about the British fighters because it’s such a new thing for us,” said Hardy. “We haven’t had any fighters that can compete at that level.”

Hardy noted that U.K. fans’ passion for their fighters tends to “wind up” the American fans. In Bisping’s case, fueled on by the Brit’s perceived cockiness as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter 9,” Hardy said the floodgates came crashing open.

“I think the American fans have been waiting for something like that to happen to say, ‘There you go, we told you that you weren’t as good as you thought you were,’” said Hardy. “Everyone’s waiting for me to fall as well. As soon as I lose my first fight in the UFC, they’re going to be dancing around the room and that’s just part of the sport.”

Feb 7, 2006
Eilers’ Stepfather Convicted of Manslaughter

James Malec was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter Thursday in the shooting of his stepson Justin Eilers last Christmas in Canyon County, Idaho, according to Idahostatesman.com.

Malec, 48, a former deputy sheriff, faces up to 15 years in prison and is expected to be sentenced in October, said the report. Prosecutors had sought a heavier conviction for second-degree murder.

A former Iowa State middle linebacker, the well-liked Eilers was a member of the Miletich Martial Arts team and fought for the UFC and EliteXC heavyweight titles in 2005 and 2008.

"Of course, nothing can bring Justin back, so there was no way this trial was going to turn out positive for those of us who cared about him,” said Eilers’ manager, Monte Cox, in an email to Sherdog.com Thursday. “And even though Malec was not found guilty of the more serious offense, I am relieved to know that he will be punished for what he did. As a former officer, I'm sure his time in prison will be far from comfortable."

Eilers was shot once in the chest with a large caliber handgun during a domestic dispute in Malec and Eilers’ mother’s home. He was pronounced dead at the scene after emergency medical technicians could not revive him with CPR. Eilers was 30.

Canyon County Coroner Vicki DeGeus-Morris confirmed that the single shot had punctured Eilers’ lung before it exited his back.

An argument between Eilers and an ex-girlfriend, who had an 8-year-old son together, broke out earlier that night and she had left the residence, attending officer Capt. Dana Maxfield told Sherdog.com last December.

Tensions continued in the kitchen between Eilers and Malec, said Maxfield, who also verified that both men had consumed alcohol that evening.

“[Eilers] was verbally challenging Malec,” said Maxfield.

Eilers was shot standing in the doorway adjoining the kitchen and the living room and fell back into the living area.

Malec’s defense team argued the ex-officer had acted in self-defense, as Eilers had threatened to kill him.

"Never lose sight of the fact that Justin tried to make a living by pummeling people into submission," defense attorney Gordon Petrie told the court, according to the report.

Eilers’ mother and Malec’s wife, Gwen Moore, witnessed the shooting and testified that Eilers’ had been backing away from Malec when he was shot.

Feb 7, 2006
Josh Neer official for UFC 104, bout with Gleison Tibau remains on main card

The fight card for "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" is again complete, as Josh Neer (25-8-1 MMA, 4-5 UFC) has officially been named as a replacement for an injured Sean Sherk (33-4-1 MMA, 7-4 UFC).

The UFC wasted little time in announcing the previously reported switch, and Neer now faces Gleison Tibau (19-6 MMA, 5-4 UFC).

And while there was some question as to where the new matchup would fall on the Oct. 24 card at Staples Center in Los Angeles, the UFC has elected to leave the bout on the main card, which will be broadcast live on pay per view.

Sherk was forced to withdraw after suffering a shoulder injury in training that will reportedly keep him sidelined for approximately four weeks.

With the official switch, UFC 104's full card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (for light-heavyweight title)
* Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez
* Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau
* Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson
* Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Patrick Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk
* Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen
* Rob Kimmons vs. Jorge Rivera
* Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer
* Razak Al-Hassan vs. Kyle Kingsbury
* Chase Gormley vs. Stefan Struve

Feb 7, 2006
UFC's dual-division hopeful Brandon Vera wants the world to know his name

When then-heavyweight Brandon Vera stormed on to the UFC scene beginning in 2005 with four-straight stoppage victories, the California resident really did appear to be "The Truth."

Disappointing back-to-back losses to Fabricio Werdum and Tim Sylvia led to a drop to 205 pounds, and Vera's stated goals of earning titles in two divisions appeared to be forgotten.

Not so, Vera recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), for those seeking great reward must overcome great challenges.

"[Winning titles in two divisions] is always the ultimate goal," Vera said. "Everybody's always like, 'You're crazy. Why would you do that? Those guys are huge.'

"Especially that one dude – what's his name? Todd Duffee? That's a big boy. He was pretty impressive."

Vera said he's used to the doubters, but he likened the challenge to a scene from the 2004 movie 'Troy.'

"The only way I can explain it to everybody or people who think I'm crazy or whatever – my parents thought I was crazy when I first told them I wanted to fight in the UFC – is my most favorite scene in the movie, I think it was 'Troy,' when the little boy went into the tent, and Brad Pitt was in there with two women and said, 'They are calling me for war,'" Vera said. "(The boy said), 'He's a big man. I wouldn't want to fight him.' Then Brad Pitt told the little boy, 'That's why the world will never know your name.'

"That's the easiest way for me to explain it when people tell me that I'm crazy that I want to fight light heavyweight and heavyweight division. I'm concentrating on one right now, but it doesn't mean that my eye isn't on the prize, on that end goal."

Vera's UFC 102 win over Krzysztof Soszynski brought him to 3-1 in the light heavyweight division. While Vera believes he will ultimately make a run in the UFC's heavyweight division, the 31-year-old will now wait for the organization to give him his next orders.

"I know it's a generic answer, and I hate when guys answer this way, but it really is up to the UFC now," Vera said. "I hate that damn answer. But right now, I don't have the right, I'm not able to tell the UFC who I want to fight.

"But the 205-pound division is so stacked right now, it really doesn't matter who they put me up against. It's going to be a good fight, no matter what.

Feb 7, 2006
Swick out at UFC 103, Daley vs. Kampmann set for main card of Sept. 19 event

After suffering a concussion in training, top welterweight contender Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) has been forced out of a UFC 103 main-card appearance, and preliminary card fighter Paul Daley (21-8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has agreed to step up and face Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC).

U.K.-based The Sun was the first to report the switch, and Swick has since confirmed his withdrawal.

Headlined by a catchweight contest between Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort, UFC 103 takes place Sept. 19 in Dallas.

The Sun's report cited UK president Marshall Zelaznik for confirmation of the report.

"'Semtex' has come to the UFC with a lot of hype, a lot of ability and – as he's already proved – a lot of confidence," Zelaznik said. "He was asked to step up and – real fighter that he is – he accepted right away.

"He's already done the U.K. proud by stepping up and I know he's going to go all out to do exactly the same at UFC 103."

Swick explained the circumstances of his departure via his Twitter account.

"I am out of UFC 103," Swick stated. "It sucks, and I am sorry guys.

"I got foot swept while sparring this week and lost my legs. Landed on back of my head and neck and suffered a pretty bad concussion."

Swick vs. Kampmann was considered a welterweight No. 1 contender contest, with the winner expected to meet Georges St. Pierre for the 170-pound title. While a win for Kampmann would move the Danish striker to 3-0 and leave him with a potential claim to the shot, a win for the explosive slugger Daley in his UFC debut would be unlikely to leave him in line for St. Pierre.

Daley was expected to face Brian Foster. It's currently unknown if a new opponent will be secured for the UFC newcomer.

Feb 7, 2006
MARK BOCEK BACK TRAINING, EYES DECEMBER

UFC lightweight Mark Bocek has been cleared to train by his doctor and will be back in the gym Friday, according to manager Mary Oliveira.

The 28-year-old Canadian tore his Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) a week before a submission win over David Bielkheden at UFC 97 and was forced out of action all summer.

“If training goes well, he will probably be ready to fight in December,” said Oliveira.

Bocek has gone 3-2 in the Octagon since making his debut at UFC 73, where he lost to contender Frankie Edgar. His win over Bielkheden was his second consecutive victory following a submission loss to Mac Danzig at UFC 83.

Feb 7, 2006
BRETT ROGERS: I'M GOING TO KNOCK FEDOR OUT

Slated to be Fedor Emelianenko's first opponent in the Strikeforce promotion, undefeated heavyweight Brett Rogers plans to knock out the top ranked Russian.

"I'm going out there to knock Fedor out. I'm going out there to knock him out just like Arlovski. It ain't going to be no different," Rogers told Tapout Radio earlier this week.

"The way I see it, he's not going to want to stand with me. He's going to want to take me down and play the little ground and pound game because he knows damn well my hands are ferocious and he's not going to be able to handle my power. It's not going to happen."

Questioned how his ground game matches up against the Russian's, Rogers said, "If he gets lucky and takes me down, because I'm not an easy guy to take down, I'm a stand-up fighter, so I train real hard on standing up, but if he succeeds, I'm cool. I'm cool with it. I'm a patient guy. I'm just going to hold him and get back up and make him play my game, and he's going to have to try all over again."

The bout has been agreed to, but no date has been set. "They just told me to be ready by October or November," said the 28-year-old fighter.

"There's a couple of situations with the UFC. They don't want to schedule a show on the same day as one of their shows."

Feb 7, 2006
Tickets on sale today for "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" in San Antonio

Tickets for World Extreme Cagefighting's return to the Lone Star State go on sale to the general public today.

The rescheduled "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" takes place Oct. 10 at AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas.

Featuring an interim lightweight title fight between Donald Cerrone and Benson Henderson, WEC 43 was originally scheduled for Sept. 2 in Youngstown, Ohio.

Tickets for WEC 43 are priced at $25, $45, $75 and $125 and are currently available at Ticketmaster.com.

WEC 43 marks the WEC's second-ever trip to Texas and the first since "WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia" in March. The date marks the first visit to the AT&T Center, the 18,000-plus-seat arena that currently serves as the home for the NBA's San Antonio Spurs.

The full WEC 43 card, which remains intact from its original Sept. 2 date, includes:

MAIN CARD

* Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson (for WEC interim lightweight title)
* Dave Jansen vs. Richard Crunkilton Jr.
* Damacio Page and Akitoshi Tamura
* Rafael Assuncao vs. Yves Jabouin

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Muhsin Corbbrey vs. Anthony Njokuani
* Scott Jorgensen vs. Rafael Rebello
* Wagnney Fabiano vs. Erik Koch
* Manny Tapia vs. Eddie Wineland
* Charlie Valencia vs. Coty Wheeler
* Mark Hominick vs. Deividas Taurosevicius

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce: Alistair Overeem will defend his heavyweight title following K-1 event

There were more than a few eyebrows raised after the official line up was recently announced for the upcoming K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 Final 16 — primarily because one of its participants was Alistair Overeem, current Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion.

“Demolition Man” was forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against Fabricio Werdum at the August 15 “Carano vs. Cyborg” event in San Jose after re-aggravating a previous hand injury .

It was that same injury that booted him from the promotion’s June 6 card in St. Louis, where Andrei Arlovski (on loan from Affliction) stepped in to take his place to get creamed by Brett Rogers at 0:22 of the first round.

In light of the recent acquisition of famed heavyweight star Fedor Emelianenko, fans were beginning to get restless with no clear timetable for Overeem’s return, even calling for an interim title in his absence, much like they did for the middleweight strap when 185-pound champ Cung Le went Hollywood.

The Dutch striker has yet to defend his heavyweight crown after capturing it with a second round submission win over Paul Buentello way back in 2007. Overeem has since been employed in Japan, racking up a 3-0 record in MMA (1 NC) and a 1-1 record under the K-1 banner during that span.

Now he will return to K-1 to battle aging “Dutch Lumberjack” Peter Aerts on September 26 in Seoul, Korea.

When contacted by MMAmania.com (www.MMAmania.com ), Strikeforce officials were happy to report that Overeem’s injuries have finally healed and that he will compete in the upcoming kickboxing bout as part of his existing contract with K-1.

Following that bout, as well as a planned fight for Golden Glory, Overeem is expected to return to Strikeforce to defend his title.

And with Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and Fedor Emelianenko all gunning for first dibs, don’t expect him to receive a very warm welcome.

Feb 7, 2006
Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller won’t sign a contract to fight Jake Shields in October …

“… he’ll beat the piss out of me? He’s the one that won’t sign the contract. I would sign that fight tonight but he just wants to talk and act tough, but he’s the one that won’t sign. His manager tells us the fight is on, Miller has agreed and then I’m hearing he’s decided he can’t fight in October but would maybe do it in December. He thinks he’s a star now but just like the show I was the only one doing the fighting while he just did the talking. He must think he’s Cung Le now.”

Feb 7, 2006
Daniel Cormier close to signing eight-fight deal with Strikeforce

Former Olympic superstar wrestler and freak athlete Daniel Cormier is reportedly close to signing and eight-fight deal with Strikeforce that would kick his fighting career off with a bang.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com recently learned of the possible agreement through sources close to the situation. However, when 5 Oz’s contacted parties close to Cormier’s management they could neither deny or confirm the report.

The news of Cormier’s possible signing to Strikeforce was first reported by MMAFanhouse.com, where it was further stated that Cormier would be making his mixed martial arts debut during the Strikeforce Challengers card set for September 25 against an opponent yet to be named.

Training out of the highly respected American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, California alongside fighters such as Cain Velasquez, Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, Cormier will make his presence felt immediately in the Strikeforce heavyweight division.

Feb 7, 2006
Jason “Mayhem” Miller: ‘I will beat the p*** out of Jake Shields, and he knows it’

It seems as if the Strikeforce bout between Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller may have been prematurely announced.

Recent reports that the two were going to meet in October gave fight fans a lot to be excited about. However, with a contract never officially signed the reports seem to be nothing but wishful thinking, and based on recent comments by Jake Shields, the fight might never happen.

Recently Miller took the opportunity during an interview with CagePotato.com to tell everyone who was listening what he thought of Jake Shields, saying,”Dude, I will beat the piss out of Jake Shields, and he knows it. If everyone thinks I’m gonna lose, that’s fine. I’ll prove them wrong when we get in the cage against each other. I do everything better than him, and I’m bigger than him and stronger than him! I don’t understand, people think that because he stomped out some 170-pounders and caught Robbie Lawler in a damn guillotine, that all of a sudden he’s the second coming of Christ. Well guess what, dude? I’m gonna smash him. When I fight him, I’ll smash him.

Shields came back with his own rebuttal recently to GracieFighter.com,”He’ll beat the piss out of me..? He’s the one that won’t sign the contract. I would sign that fight tonight but he just wants to talk and act tough, but he’s the one that won’t sign. His manager tells us the fight is on, Miller has agreed and then I’m hearing he’s decided he can’t fight in October but would maybe do it in December. He thinks he’s a star now but just like the show I was the only one doing the fighting while he just did the talking. He must think he’s Cung Le now.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Lobbying for Criminal Code Changes at Federal Level in Canada

The Canadian Press have divulged an interesting piece of news today, relaying that the UFC has hired former Ontario premier David Peterson to help lobby the Canadian government to amend Section 83 of the Canadian Criminal Code to include mixed martial arts as an acceptable, legal form of prizefighting.

The UFC has turned to some heavyweight help in its bid to hold a show in Toronto.

The mixed martial arts juggernaut has engaged former Ontario premier David Peterson and his Cassells Brock & Blackwell law firm to help lobby the Ontario government to sanction the sport. Peterson, a senior partner and chairman of the Toronto law firm, is also leading the bid to bring the 2015 Pan American Games to Toronto.

On the federal front, the UFC is using the services of the Capital Hill Group, a lobbyist that specializes “in building constructive, mutually beneficial partnerships between business and government,” according to its website.

The UFC hopes Ottawa will amend the Criminal Code to expand the section that permits boxing to include mixed martial arts.

Different jurisdictions have taken different approaches to MMA in Canada, meaning shows are staged in some areas but not others.

Payout Perspective:

MMAPayout.comwas one of the first to report that the UFC had given up at the provincial level and was trying to seek federal legalization of the sport; something the province of Ontario stipulated as a must before sanctioning any events.

Despite the good news that Peterson has come on board, things are still moving relatively slowly on the MMA front in Ontario. The expectation, or hope, remains that MMA will be legalized in the province by sometime next summer; opening the door for a UFC event sometime in the third or fourth quarter of 2010

Feb 7, 2006
Thiago Tavares: “I’ll be back a monster”

The lightweight Thiago Tavares hadn’t had much luck in the past months. After suffering an elbow injury, the Brazilian went under surgery in the knee, after a training to fight at UFC 103. “Everything is alright, I went under surgery and I’m already doing physiotherapy two times a day… I was training and I felt a pain in my knee, but I’d fight anyways. In the next day, I felt my knee again and couldn’t train anymore”, said Tavares.

After two canceled bouts this year, Thiago is still hopeful to enter in the octagon one more time in 2009. “Maybe I’ll fight in December or in January… I’ll recover it well and be back like a monster… In December, I’ll be back and everything will be alright”, finished Thiago

Feb 7, 2006
Ronaldo "Jacare" Responds to Jake Shields

Strikeforce fighter Ronaldo "Jacare" gave this exclusive reply to Kid Peligro and ADCC News:
"I just read Jake Shields interview on mmaweekly.com and I would like to make a statement saying that I am more than ready to step up and smash Shields. I think Jake Shields ground game is overrated and I will be more then glad to end his win streak and take his belt away. So Jake, you talk the talk, but can you walk the walk, if you can, let’s do it, I accept the fight against you right now. So what's it gonna be.

And I also would like to send a message to the clown " Jason Miller , you made a huge mistake to follow me into Strikeforce" we have an unfinished business and I was afraid that I might not be able to finish it, since I came to Strikeforce, but thank's to Scott's efforts and Jason's stupidity, he signed, So now we live in the same house, and he is not welcome there" " So Jason do whatever it is that you need to do , be ready and you are next on my list, after I finish Jake"

Ronaldo “Jacare” Santos