MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
RETIRMENT TALK ON HOLD; LIDDELL TAKING TIME OFF

At the UFC 97 post-fight press conference, following Chuck Liddell's knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, UFC president Dana White stated, "At the end of the day, I care about these guys. I don't want to see anybody stick around too long. You're never going to see Chuck Liddell on the canvas again."

Later in the press conference, Liddell commented on White's statement saying, "That's probably safe to say, but I'm not gonna make any decisions until I go home and talk to everybody, talk to all my people, my friends."

That was nearly three months ago. Liddell has finally broken the silence on his possible retirement, although the answer remains just as noncommittal now as it was then.

Speaking to Josh Gross of SI.com, the former UFC light heavyweight champion said he plans to stop fighting "for at least a year or so, just to let my head rest."

At that point, Liddell would be 40 years old, and clearly pushing the limitations of a fighter's career, but at this point, he isn't prepared to say that he is or isn't retiring.

Although he did admit that he's feeling a bit more human than he used to. "Hopefully my brain can heal over time," he told Gross. "The shot last fight is something that normally wouldn't hurt me. I think I need at least some time off from getting hit."

Feb 7, 2006
Tim Credeur and Nate Quarry set for middleweight contest at UFC Fight Night 19

Middleweights Tim Credeur (12-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Nate Quarry (11-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are the latest additions to UFC Fight Night 19 in September, as the two middleweights have agreed to meet in a bout expected for the evening's main card.

Bout agreements have been distributed for the contest, and both fighters are expected to finalize the contracts over the next several days.

UFC Fight Night 19, which will be broadcast on Spike TV and serve as the lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10," takes place Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

Credeur last fought in an April submission win over Nick Catone at UFC Fight Night 18. The Louisiana native is currently riding a six-fight win streak, including three wins in the UFC. Considered a submission expert, Credeur earned TKO wins over Nate Loughran and Cale Yarbrough in his first two official UFC appearances.

Quarry's last appearance was also in April. The 37-year-old earned a TKO victory over Jason MacDonald on the preliminary card of UFC 97, his first win since his now-infamous decision victory over Kalib Starnes at UFC 83 in April 2008.

Between the two victories, "The Ultimate Fighter 1" cast member suffered a first-round submission loss to top-middleweight contender Demian Maia at UFC 91.

UFC Fight Night 19 will mark the organization's first visit to Oklahoma since UFC 4 in December 1994. Tickets for the event go on sale to UFC Fight Club members this Thursday, July 9, and will be available to the general public on Saturday, July 11.

Feb 7, 2006
JAKE O'BRIEN WANTS TO STEAL JON JONES' THUNDER

Jake O’Brien (11-2) is experiencing a bit of déjà vu. It’s his third time serving as a gatekeeper to a division’s upper level.

The 24-year-old freestyle wrestler turned fighter is 1-1 in the spoiler role, having defeated Pride standout Heath Herring in January 2007 and lost to fast rising Cain Velasquez last July.

On July 11, he’s aiming to rain on another prospect’s parade, Jon Jones, this time as a light heavyweight. Jones is a 21-year-old terror that grabbed headlines with an unconventional, go for broke style that dispatched Andre Gusmao and Stephan Bonnar. O’Brien’s is unconvinced that his opponent is the next big thing.

“Everybody thinks he’s so good right now, and style wise, I think I’m the worst fight he could have,” O’Brien recently told MMAWeekly.com. “The way I fight is a tough match-up for him. I think it will give him more trouble than any other style.”

That style, for the most part, is takedown artist. O’Brien works intensely on his boxing, but he anchors his attack with single and double legs. It’s worked in the past; opponents Josh Shockman, Herring, and Kristof Midoux went to the canvas when they sat on their punches.

Jones is a Greco-Roman guy, and emphasizes upper body positioning and throws over straight takedowns. He’s been working with Cornell University wrestlers to stay off his back. The question is whether that’s enough to stop O’Brien, and what will happen if he ends up there.

“I don’t think he’s ever been (on his back) in a fight,” said O’Brien. “I know what it’s like to be on my back. He hasn’t been there. That’s the place to beat him. I think that’s where he’s not ready to be a top-level fighter yet. I’m not going to give him a lot of chances to throw me.”

But that’s not all O’Brien has to worry about. Jones throws anything and everything at his opponent, whether it’s technically sound or not. It’s something he takes pride in; he doesn’t know enough to be held back by things he shouldn’t do.

“He gets wild,” said O’Brien. “The wild things he does, they work. One of these times, it’s going to hurt him, like Urijah Faber; how he got caught the first time he fought Mike Brown. He can’t be like that forever.”

The plan, for now, is to keep his hands up and wait for an opening.

A win over Jones could breathe more life into O’Brien’s re-invention as a light heavyweight. He avoided walking papers with a win over Christian Wellisch; another spoiler could give him a second shot at the upper tier of a division.

“I like the role I’m in now,” he said. “Nobody’s expecting me to win, so it feels better, because there’s no pressure.”

Feb 7, 2006
Middleweight Michael Bisping suggests title fight hangs in balance at UFC 100

With UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva busy preparing for his Aug. 8 light-heavyweight showdown with Forrest Griffin, the next challenger for "The Spider's" middleweight crown may very well be decided on Saturday night in Las Vegas.

While Dan Henderson (24-7 MMA, 4-2 UFC) has openly stated he expects a second shot at Silva should he defeat Michael Bisping (17-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) at UFC 100, "The Count" recently said he's under the impression a win would also get him a shot at the 185-pound title.

"My manager has spoken with the UFC, and apparently the word on the street is I do get a title shot (with a win)," Bisping told MMAjunkie.com Radio.

The first rumblings of potential title implications for the Bisping vs. Henderson contest came from a June report from the Manchester Evening News, citing a "UFC spokesperson" for the confirmation.

Now the fighters appear to be echoing the same sentiment.

Each fighter would have a reasonable case for a shot at the belt with a win.

For Bisping, a win would put him at 8-1 overall in the UFC, the lone loss coming in a razor-thin split-decision to former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans at UFC 78 in November 2007.

Bisping dropped to 185 pounds following the contest, and a win over Henderson would put him at 4-0 in the middleweight division.

Meanwhile, a win would give Henderson a three-fight win streak when coupled with his recent victories over Rich Franklin and Rousimar Palhares.

While the Franklin bout took place at 205-pounds, Henderson still holds the value of providing arguably Silva's stiffest test to date in the UFC, earning the first round of their UFC 82 contest before falling to a rear-naked choke with eight seconds remaining in the second frame.

Fellow top contenders Demian Maia (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and Nate Marquardt (28-8-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) meet on the main card of UFC 102 on Aug. 29, but the UFC has apparently already elected to rely on the winner of Bisping vs. Henderson to determine Silva's next opponent.

As for when the bout could take place, a potential Nov. 14 date for UFC 105 in Manchester, England – about 35 miles from Bisping's native Liverpool, England – could prove an interesting option should the Brit earn a Saturday win.

While the obvious draw of Bisping fighting for a title in his home country could prove exciting for U.K. fans, it remains to be seen whether the UFC would be willing to contest a title on a show reportedly destined for a Spike TV broadcast, not to mention use of one the few remaining bouts on Silva's contract for a non-pay-per-view event. Bisping said that part of the deal was still uncertain.

"Whether [a title shot] is going to be in Manchester or not is debatable," Bisping said. "I don't know. Nothing's set in stone."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC FIGHT NIGHT 19: NATE DIAZ VS MELVIN GUILLARD

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Tuesday officially announced UFC Fight Night 19 scheduled for Sept. 16 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

The event at the Cox Convention Center features a bout pitting Nate Diaz against Melvin Guillard and the return of Roger Huerta as he squares off with Gray Maynard.

Diaz is coming off of a loss to Joe Stevenson at the recent Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale in June. Though he dropped a unanimous decision – his second straight defeat in the Octagon – Diaz' bout with Stevenson was one of an unprecedented three Fights of the Night.

After back-to-back losses in 2007, Guillard has rebounded to win his last three fights, including a controversial split decision over Gleison Tibau at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale. A win over Diaz would put him well on his way to top tier fights in the UFC's lightweight division.

Roger Huerta will be returning to the Octagon after more than a year out of action due in part to commitments to movie roles, but also due to a public spat over his contractual status with the UFC. This is the final fight on Huerta's contract with the promotion, and it is widely believed that he will not be returning after the fight with Maynard.

While Huerta has been out of action, Maynard, a product of Xtreme Couture, has been busy building up his record to 7-0 (with one no contest). He is on the cusp of breaking into contenders bouts in the UFC's 155-pound division, and sending Huerta unceremoniously out of the UFC would surely cement his position among top fighters in the division.

Other rumored bouts for UFC Fight Night 19, but not yet comfirmed by the UFC, include Ronnys Torres vs. Jeremy Stephens, Chris Wilson vs. Mike Pyle, and Nate Quarry vs. Tim Credeur.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC champion Brock Lesnar doesn’t fight for big money …

“I guess the main thing is I enjoy what I’m doing. I got the best job in the world. I’ve already made a lot of money and now it’s just a matter of staying grounded, being close to my family and, you know, being happy. There’s more to life, if you’re not happy life can be pretty damn miserable and I wasn’t very happy as a professional wrestler and now I’m happy. Life is pretty enjoyable…. I can honestly say I wouldn’t fight for peanuts. I’ve been there; I’ve wrestled — blood, sweat and tears for 18 years. I got a lot of time in the gym and got paid zilch. So now here’s my opportunity, this is prize fighting. I mean, you look at it any other way, you might as well just go fight in the underground and, you know, bare knuckles or whatever, and fight in the streets.”

Feb 7, 2006
Kyle Bradley and Sam Stout set to square off at UFC Fight Night 19

UFC Fight Night 19 is filling up quickly. One of the latest additions to the card is a proposed lightweight bout between Kyle Bradley (14-6 MMA, 1-2 UFC) and Sam Stout (14-5-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC).

The possible match-up was first reported in a report on MMAJunkie.com and FiveOuncesOfPain.com has since confirmed the news of the bout from sources close to the negotiations. The two fighters have verbally agreed and written agreements are expected to be dispersed within the week.

At the current rate that the UFC has been cutting fighters, this particular bout appears to be a must win situation for both fighters.

Bradley is no stranger to a must win situation in the UFC. After suffering two back to back TKO losses to Chris Lytle and Joe Lauzon, Bradley rebounded with a TKO victory over the highly touted Ultimate Fighter alum Phillipe Nover.

Stout also looks to continue his winning ways after back to back decision losses followed by a subsequent decision victory over Matt Wiman at UFC 97. The losses came at the hands of Terry Etim and Bradley’s own training partner, Rich Clementi.

The event will be held at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City on Sept. 16 and will be broadcast live on Spike TV. Immediately following the event will be the debut episode of the highly anticipated “Ultimate Fighter 10”.

Feb 7, 2006
Sérgio Moraes anxious for Bellator’s GP

World champion of Jiu-Jitsu, Sérgio Moraes made a beautiful performance at his debut in Bellator FC, submitting Josh Martin with a triangle choke. After the performance, the black belt was called to fight at the middleweight tournament, which will start in October. In interview to TATAME.com, the fighter commented about the opportunity and guaranteed that, even focused in the MMA, will never leave the Jiu-Jitsu competitions.

"I received this invitation after my victory, I’ll be at Bellator’s GP and I’ll work, train as much as I can, improve everything that I have to improve, correct some flaws and, God willing, bring this title to Brazil. I love Jiu-Jitsu, I’ll always raise the flag of the modality and always fight the championship when I can", said Moraes, who was happy with the comment of his manager, Wallid Ismail, affirming that he would soon be the best pound for pound in the world, but recognized that still has much road ahead. "This is what I would like most... I cheer for this to happen for real, but, for this to come truth, I still have to work and a lot and certainly it won’t miss work or disposition from me", concluded the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Another Olympic Medalist To SENGOKU! Featherweight GP Reserve Fight Announced

It has been rumored for quite a while now but today it was announced that Athens 2004 Judo Silver Medalist in the 90 kg division, Hiroshi Izumi, has signed with SENGOKU.

Izumi recently turned 27 and besides the second place in the 2004 Olympics, he won the World Championships in 2005 and the Asian Championships in 2008, so he can still compete at a high level.

Some thought he was going to be SENGOKU’s answer to DREAM signing Ishii last year. Since then he has been rumored to have signed with SENGOKU a few times.

Also announced today was that “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung will take on Matt Jaggers, who has one victory since his impressive GP fight against Marlon Sandro, in the Featherweight GP reserve fight.

Update: Izumi is currently training MMA under Yoji Anjoh and will most likely fight in the Light Heavyweight division (he is very short for a LHW).

SENGOKU IX
Date: August 2nd, 2009
Place: Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo, Japan

SENGOKU Lightweight Title Fight (5×5):
Satoru Kitaoka vs. Mizuto Hirota

SENGOKU Featherweight GP Final (Possibly 5×5):
Hioki/Kanehara vs. Omigawa/Sandro

SENGOKU Featherweight GP Semifinals:
Hatsu Hioki vs. Masanori Kanehara
Michihiro Omigawa vs. Marlon Sandro

SENGOKU Featherweight GP Reserve Fight:
Chan Sung Jung vs. Matt Jaggers

SENGOKU Middleweight Title Challenger Fight:
Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Kazuo Misaki

Heavyweight Fights:
Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Blagoy Alexandre Ivanov
Yoshihiro “KISS” Nakao vs. Choi Mu Bae

Lightweight Fight:
Eiji Mitsuoka vs. Clay French

Welterweight Fight:
Akihiro Gono vs. Dan Hornbuckle

SENGOKU Gold Cup Finals:
LW: Ikuo Usuda vs. Koji Ando
FW: Osawa/Kishi vs. Sannai/Harai
BW: Takeshi Numajiri vs. Ryosuke Komori

Feb 7, 2006
Wagnney Fabiano likely to face featherweight newcomer Erik Koch at WEC 43

Fast-rising featherweight contender Wagnney Fabiano (12-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) is expected to go for his ninth consecutive victory against undefeated WEC newcomer Eric Koch (8-0 MMA, 0-0 WEC) in September at WEC 43.

A source close to one of the fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that bout agreements are expected to be distributed and finalized shortly for the 145-pound contest.

WEC 43 takes place Sept. 2 at the Covelli Centre in Youngstown, Ohio, and features a main event of Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson for the WEC's interim lightweight title.

Fabiano, the final featherweight champion of the now-defunct International Fight League, most recently fought in April at WEC 40, where he topped fellow contender Fredson Paixao via unanimous decision. Aside from a split-decision loss to notable Jeff Curran in October 2006, the 33-year-old Fabiano has dominated the competition with nine stoppages (seven via submission) in his 12 career victories.

The Nova Uniao fighter is now expected to fight Koch, a Midwesterner who's undefeated since turning pro in January 2007.

Koch, who owns seven stoppages (six submissions) in eight career wins, most recently competed for the Midwest Cage Championship, an Iowa-based organization that has sent many fighters to the UFC and WEC over the past couple years, including Jeremy Stephens, Josh Neer, Rob Kimmons and Chuck Grigsby. Koch picked up two victories at the organization's April 17 show with second-round submissions of Will Shutt (9-12 at the time) and Tom Ahrens (9-4).

Feb 7, 2006
Bruce Buffer isn't ruling out a "Buffer 360" during Saturday's UFC 100 main event

You've seen the lightning-quick, body-jarring move known as the "Buffer 180" prior to the UFC's biggest fights for the past few years.

Bruce Buffer, the UFC's longtime in-cage announcer, introduces one fighter before quickly spinning to point at and introduce his opponent on the other side of the octagon. The iconic move has become a favorite not only of fans and fighters but also UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan, who's championed its branding.

Limited to spins of 45 to 90 degrees for most fights, Buffer extends it to 180 degrees for most main events. And given the historic nature of Saturday's UFC 100 event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, he isn't ruling out the long-awaited "Buffer 360."

Buffer, who said he's about to work approximately his 130th UFC event (when including UFC Fight Night shows and The Ultimate Fighter Finales) on Saturday, discussed about the move on Tuesday's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

"I think I've already done a 247 and a half," Buffer joked about the move. "It puts a little torque – it really torques the hips. But the (Buffer) 180 is my main-event staple."

"But everyone is talking about the 360. I tell Joe Rogan, 'Thank you for all the attention – and somewhat pressure.' I don't feel the pressure. All I can tell you guys is the same thing I say all the time, and I'm not joking, and this is sincere. You've seen me work. You've been at events. Do you think I rehearse when I get in that octagon? I can't rehearse. It's impossible."

That's why Buffer is hesitant to commit to anything at Saturday's event. So much of what he does is spur-of-the-moment and based on the energy he receives from those in attendance.

"I know that octagon the way a basketball player can turn around and do a 12-foot jumpshot," Buffer said. "I know every position of that octagon because I've basically been in that octagon for 14 years. That's my office. ... So when I walk in the cage, I feed off the energy of the crowd. I feed off the energy of the fighters who are in there. My job is to take those fighters to the next level, if not the highest level. And it's also my job to take those fans in attendance and watching on TV to the next level beyond the excitement that's already created by (UFC broadcasters) Joe (Rogan) and Goldie (Mike Goldberg).

"What you see is just how I feel. If I pull a 360 ... it's about whether it's right to do it at that moment. I will never disgrace the sacred ground of the octagon. I will only do what I feel is right to enhance that moment at hand."

So, will the time be right at such a major event, one that could break UFC pay-per-view records and will garner the organization the most media attention of its 16-year run?

"I can't say yes or no," Buffer said. "I can just say it will or will not happen."

But if does happen, only one specific time makes sense.

"If it does happen, it won't happen during the prelims or at the beginning of the pay-per-view (broadcast)," Buffer said. "It's only going to happen during the main event."

For all the tongue-in-cheek speculation and the fun of pondering his next move (it even inspired an official "Buffer 180" commemorative T-shirt issued by American Fighter), Buffer did want to make one thing very clear to fans: He takes his job very seriously and wants the focus to remain solely on main-event fighters Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir on Saturday night.

"It's not about me," Buffer said. "It's about the fighters. I'm just there to do my job, and I try to give 150 percent every time I walk out there."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC heavyweight newcomer Todd Duffee fights Tim Hague, not Mike Russow, at UFC 102

Despite originally announcing his opponent would be Mike Russow, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will instead pit UFC heavyweight newcomer Todd Duffee (4-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) against Tim Hague (10-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 102 in August.

A source close to the negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Russow will instead be matched up with a new opponent on the same card.

UFC 102 takes place Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore., and the Duffee vs. Hague bout is slated for the un-aired preliminary card of the pay-per-view event.

MMAjunkie.com first reported the Duffee vs. Russow matchup in June, and the UFC made it official a few weeks later. The fight has since been pulled from the UFC's online fight card, but the Duffee vs. Hague bout is expected to be added in the next few days.

Duffee's octagon debut has been a long time coming. Nearly seven months will have passed between the time the fighter first signed with the UFC earlier this year and when he makes his promotional debut.

Duffee was set to meet Mostapha Al Turk in June at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany. However, when Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic negotiated a return to the UFC less than a month before the event, Duffee was pulled from the fight card and replaced by the Croatian.

The American Top Team heavyweight will enter the octagon on a streak of four consecutive TKO stoppages (in four career fights).

He now faces Hague, a Canadian fighter who scored an impressive submission victory over hard-hitting Patrick Barry at UFC 98 in May. Hague survived an early attack before forcing the fight to the ground and slapping on a fight-ending guillotine choke. The fight marked the former King of the Cage champion's octagon debut.

Hague, a former kindergarten teacher who turned pro in MMA after a student shortage eliminated his job, has won five consecutive fights, four via stoppage.

Feb 7, 2006
Junior dos Santos out, Justin McCully to face Mike Russow at UFC 102 in Portland

Fast-rising UFC heavyweight prospect Junior dos Santos (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has been pulled from the the preliminary card at UFC 102, and Justin McCully (9-4-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) will instead face UFC newcomer Mike Russow (11-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

McCully announced the change on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Headlined by a heavyweight contest between MMA legends Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, UFC 102 takes place Aug. 29 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore.

McCully, who had been slated to face dos Santos, was not sure why his original opponent was pulled from the bout, and MMAjunkie.com was not immediately able to reach the Brazilian for comment.

McCully most recently fought in a December 2008 win over Eddie Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 16. The 12-year veteran has won five of his past six contests, the lone loss coming by submission to Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 86 in July 2008.

Prior to the Gonzaga loss, McCully had earned a unanimous-decision win over Antoni Hardonk in April 2007, his first appearance for the UFC.

Russow will come to the UFC on a seven-fight win streak after losing for the first time in his career to Sergei Kharitonov in February 2007 under the PRIDE banner.

The 32-year-old has earned stoppage wins in all seven of the bouts in his current streak, including six wins by submission.

Russow was originally slated to fight UFC newcomer Todd Duffee on the UFC 102 card, but as we reported earlier today, Duffee will instead fight Tim Hague.

With the changes to the card, UFC 102 now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
* Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
* Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
* Demian Maia vs. Nate Marquardt
* Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer
* Wilson Gouveia vs. James Irvin
* Justin McCully vs. Mike Russow
* Todd Duffee vs. Tim Hague
* Nick Catone vs. Mark Munoz
* Evan Dunham vs. Matt Veach

Feb 7, 2006
Before Saturday's big fight, smaller fights brew behind scenes

Not everything related to UFC 100 is about big fights. Big business is also brewing under the surface, which, when it comes to mixed martial arts' most visible promoter, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

As the anticipated card at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas becomes the focus of the MMA world, some fighters under contract to Zuffa -- and some who aren't -- are trying to determine how two recent announcements could impact their immediate fortunes.

The first, related to event sponsorship, will be felt as early as Saturday. The second, an edict from UFC president Dana White to mixed martial artists everywhere regarding the use of their image rights, remains a developing story.
Sponsorship

After discussions intensified inside Zuffa regarding companies such as Full Tilt Poker gaining less-than-cost advertising access for live UFC productions -- thus becoming de facto event sponsors by splashing fighters from head to toe with their logo -- the decision came down less than a month ago that sponsors would be required to pay a $100,000 licensing fee directly to the UFC for the right to feature their brand on fighters.

For the UFC, according to sources familiar with the company's thinking, motivations are simple: the promoter wants its share, which it believes it earned by providing the platform for fighters to make significant sponsorship dollars; protection for official sponsors, such as Bud Light and Harley Davidson; additional control over brands gaining exposure to UFC audiences; and to further marginalize MMA agents and managers.

The new policy does nothing to restrict fighters from signing deals with sponsors that would put them in television, radio or print spots. But any deal involving an appearance during a UFC-produced event without the mandated licensing fee is verboten as of now.

That decision could cost fighters 35- to 40-percent of their sponsor-generated revenue, according to one veteran MMA agent, which is significant considering the UFC likes to sell the potential of increased sponsorship dollars as a way to augment fighter purses.

Several managers with track records of friendly relations with Zuffa said the potential loss of sponsorship dollars is nearly unjustifiable.

For instance, one top competitor on the card could miss out on as much as $300,000 in guaranteed funds after two deals fell through following word of the UFC licensing requirement, SI.com has learned. While a new sponsorship situation emerged that could be as lucrative, nothing is guaranteed.

As one manager put it, the UFC's latest move appears to be another test of the "conditions" athletes in the company are willing to work under. At this point, fighters continue to surrender, and haven't given Zuffa much reason to pause.
The EA Sports skirmish

Causing a stir over the weekend were rumors -- now confirmed by SI.com -- of the UFC's attempt to make it difficult, if not impossible, for fighters to sign a licensing agreement that would put their likeness in the recently announced "EA Sports MMA" title, which is set for release next year.

Beginning the week before July 4, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, at the behest of Dana White, called managers with this message: If you've been in the UFC and think maybe you want to come back someday, or you haven't had the pleasure and plan on fighting in the Octagon, you better not sign that EA licensing agreement.

White is said to be adamant that aligning with EA is no different than declaring war on the UFC and its wildly successful THQ-produced UFC 2009 Undisputed, which sold more than a million copies in its first month. Fighters, from world-class to journeyman, were told the prudent choice was to decline money offers from EA -- deals with fighters on the level of Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Nick Diaz, Mo Lawal and Jake Shields, range from $5,000 to $15,000 for a one-game, two-year nonexclusive deal, according to multiple sources.

In Miller's case, potential consequences weren't enough to prevent him from aligning with EA, the middleweight told SI.com. However other fighters, such as Nathan Diaz -- who avoided signing UFC's exclusive licensing game agreement with THQ, which provides most fighters with zero compensation and was at the center of the controversy that saw Jon Fitch banished from the UFC for 24 hours -- decided against participating in the EA sports title, according to his management.

Former five-time UFC champion Randy Couture is believed to be the only fighter currently under contract to Zuffa who will appear in the EA version. "The Natural" managed to ink an exclusive deal during his 11-month courtroom fight with the UFC. Couture, who is expected to appear on the game's cover, told SI.com he attempted to bring both sides together after falling back in favor with the UFC, but a compromise placing UFC fighters in the EA game never materialized.

For the UFC to stick to its guns, the company would effectively tell Fedor Emelianenko, MMA's top-ranked heavyweight, Shields, a highly regarded welterweight, and other top-class competitors they aren't welcome. That seems like a steep and foolish price to pay, but the Zuffa-led UFC has a long history of winning trench-war like this.

The UFC is partial to signing fighters it sees as willing participants and partners. Why sign and market a mixed martial artist to the point that he's championship caliber in the UFC, while at the same time build that fighter's profile for a rival video game?

That hypothetical thinking, said one source, is what brought White to dispatch Silva.
Quick Hits

• Training camps finished the heavy lifting last week and indications are fighters in UFC 100's big three fights are healthy and ready to go. In Las Vegas, Michael Bisping is said to have closed out training with several days of what his wrestling coach Zach Light called "unbelievable" sparring against Trevor Prangley, Phil Baroni and Josh Hall. Baroni has been raving how impressed he is with the Brit, who faces his stiffest test yet at middleweight in former Pride champion Dan Henderson.

• Frank Mir, also in Vegas, faces a very large man in Brock Lesnar. Yet, a contingent of small, slick grapplers, including WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres and Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion Ricky Lundell, were brought in to help the challenger prepare. One man who couldn't show, thanks to the Department of Homeland Security, was unorthodox Japanese submission fighter Masakazu Imanari. After being denied entry into the country in 1997 and 1999, Imanari was again told he couldn't come to the U.S. on a tourist visa. Without a clear reason why he was denied a third time, Imanari enlisted the services of an immigration lawyer.

• Another note on Mir: Filming is set to begin Monday and continue throughout fight week on a pilot tentatively called Mir Manor. Seems like a strange time to introduce a gaggle of cameramen around a fighter near the biggest bout of his career, no?

• If it feels like Georges St. Pierre's fight against Thiago Alves has taken a backseat to the Mir-Lesnar heavyweight title clash, six magazine covers for the UFC welterweight champion this month and two to three interviews a day should put an end to that. "Frankly, after all the spotlight that was shone on Georges leading up to the B.J. Penn fight, I'm sure Georges is happy to let Brock and Frank have their turn," said his manager, Shari Spencer.

Feb 7, 2006
FRIENDSHIP ASIDE, BEN HENDERSON EYES WEC TITLE

Interim title, shm-interim title, this is a fight!

One of the WEC’s top prospects, Ben Henderson, has now vicariously become one of the bigger commodities in the promotion's lightweight division.

Originally earning his way into the organization riding a six-fight win streak, which included a victory over three-time UFC veteran Diego Saraiva, Henderson made an immediate mark into his new home when he faced off against Anthony Njokuani (now 10-2), a dangerous and explosive knockout artist, submitting him in the second round via guillotine choke.

Njokuani had only been defeated once before, at the hands of Donald Cerrone; a man who Henderson will make himself all the more familiar with this September at WEC 43 in Youngstown, Ohio.

Henderson enters the bout on the heels of eight-straight wins, including two impressive showings in the WEC, trading in his second-round submission victory over Njokuani for a first-round comeback TKO victory against Shane Roller in his most recent fight.

In his fight against Roller this past April, the Arizona native showed his skill and desire to fight, when he appeared to be down and out after being knocked to the mat in the opening moments of the bout, only to reverse those fortunes and end up finishing the fight early in the first due to strikes.

The fight clearly displayed just what fans and WEC executives want, making Henderson the obvious choice when it came to viable contenders for the interim WEC lightweight strap.

Although Jamie Varner is still not quite out of the woods yet with some lingering injuries, the show (and title) must go on, as Henderson will square off against former title challenger Cerrone.

Though the prospects of fighting in the WEC are great in and of themselves, it is every fighters dream to be able to challenge for the title and “Smooth” will soon realize that dream, yet was caught off guard much like everyone else.

“I had no idea. I’m not gonna lie man. I was as blown away as most the fans were to read it, and I was blown away when they first told me,” he explained to the MMAWeekly Radio crew.

An ill fate, born with less than perfect vision, Henderson could normally be seen adorning his classy frames at the weigh-ins leading up to the fight. However, what may not be known to most was the fact that he did not use any other visual aids going into his fights and was essentially fighting impaired.

Going through the measures to correct his eyesight in order to perform and react more efficiently, a “new” Ben Henderson will be walking into the cage this September, against his most difficult challenge to date.

“I did have the eye surgery and it is a hundred times better. I can see now without my glasses. Its really amazing to be honest.

“It’s actually a huge difference. From my sparring, my boxing and my kickboxing, it adds a good half a second reaction time, to me just moving and slipping. A half a second is a long time to react to something, so it’s a huge difference.”

An honor in itself to be challenging for the title, Henderson will do so with a burden placed upon him, as he takes on good friend and fellow competitor “Cowboy” Cerrone, with the two having known each other since their days moving up the ranks and making a name for themselves in Denver.

“Me and Donald are buddies, he’s a friend of mine. We both kind of came up in Denver together. We both started our fighting careers right around the same time. It’s a little bit bitter sweet. I’m excited to fight for the title, fight a guy who has a big name and all that, but it does kind of suck that it is a buddy."

Though the two having known full well of the potential of this occurring, the MMA Lab prospect will make sure that the possibility of victory will not be squelched with feelings of camaraderie and friendship when they battle for the coveted interim WEC title, which will later move on to be unified with reigning champion Jamie Varner, barring injuries.

“Me and Donald are both professionals, we’ve already talked about it and everything. We knew that there was a chance of us fighting in the WEC.

“Once that cage door shuts, were both gonna go out and set out for the ‘W.’

Feb 7, 2006
Brock Lesnar talks UFC 100, fake belts and robot jiu-jitsu

Saturday’s UFC 100 main event will feature heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, looking to unify the title against the division’s interim title keeper, Frank Mir, to determine once and for all an undisputed champion when it all goes down live on pay-per-view (PPV) from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 11.

The highly anticipated showdown is a rematch from UFC 81 in February 2008, when Mir was able to survive an opening onslaught from Lesnar to eventually catch the UFC rookie in a fight-ending kneebar early into the first round.

Of course some say Mir received a little help from referee Steve Mazzagatti, who stopped the fight and deducted one point from Lesnar for illegal blows to the back of the head.

Lesnar went on to secure a title shot against Randy Couture with a dominating win over Heath Herring at UFC 87, while Mir defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the interim strap. Now the two titans finally meet to settle the score in a bout that sees Lesnar as the odds on favorite (-240 to Mir’s +190).

As our featured guest on MMAmania.com’s exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio, host Larry Pepe warned Lesnar — who doesn’t have Internet access and claims not to follow stories in the press that are written about him — that Mir hasn’t been shy with disparaging remarks about his opponent in the buildup to the historic UFC 100.

“I think (Mir) is just backpedaling,” Lesnar scoffed. “He’s been backpedaling. He’s had a few lucky wins. I believe his win over me was pure luck. He was getting his ass beat. Then when he fought Nogueira, he fought a guy who didn’t show up to fight him. I mean the poor guy looked to me like he was on his deathbed that night. So the day of reckoning will come on July 11 when I step into the Octagon and solidify that I am the true heavyweight champion of the UFC.”

One by one, Lesnar responded to Mir’s criticisms. While Mir has accused Lesnar of grabbing the fence in his fight against Couture to prevent a takedown, Lesnar says that it was overblown and that the only thing preventing the takedown was his superior wrestling ability.

While most people think Lesnar has the clear strength advantage, Mir went on record that he feels he has the better muscle-to-fat ratio and is willing to bet any amount of money that his legs are stronger and that he would blow (Lesnar) out of the water in a squatting contest and out dead-lift him. Still, Lesnar took the high road: “If he wants to be stronger than me, that’s fine. But I tell you what, my arm’s getting raised on July 11, and his isn’t. That’s all that matters to me.”

In fact, Lesnar thinks Mir’s comments are evidence that he’s an insecure person. “He has every right to be jealous. Just two fights in, I’m the heavyweight champ, and he mentioned that I get paid more than he does. He has every right to be jealous.”

And if the trash-talking doesn’t work out the way Mir intends, Lesnar has some advice for him: He can always try for a career on the professional wrestling circuit, where discrediting your opponent is all part of the game. “Maybe (Mir) could have a career with the WWE after I get done beating his ass. Maybe he’s preparing himself to make a switch here.”

Lesnar went on to say that he sees the interim championship — which was actually fought after Lesnar had already beaten Couture for the “real belt” — as “just a fake belt to keep the fans happy” while the UFC worked around the absence of Randy Couture, who at the time was fighting a contract dispute. He thinks the fans want to see one true champion, and they’ll get their chance at UFC 100.

Of course their title unification bout was originally supposed to occur at UFC 98, but Mir sustained a knee injury, which pushed the event back two months. The pushback didn’t affect Lesnar, who welcomes the addition to the UFC 100 card.

Still new to the game, Lesnar utilized the extra time to continue working his standup and ground games, including working with Brazilian jiu-jitsu blackbelt Rodrigo “Comprido” Medeiros, a seven-time World Jiu-Jitsu Champion (aka, the Mundials).

He’s also brought in several training partners who work at mimicking Frank Mir’s fighting style. Says Lesnar, “It’s not hard to do, he moves like a robot.” The added training time has pushed Lesnar’s confidence to an all-time high, and he looks forward to “revenge.”

In the year and a half since they last met, Lesnar says he’s improved all aspects of his fight game, thanks to some battles with tough guys like Heath Herring and Randy Couture — a fight that Lesnar says taught him patience. While he still fights for respect from the MMA community as a whole, he’s confident that he’s “a fighter for sure now,” compared to his greener days at UFC 87.

“I’ve been dealing with this my whole life. I just keep my nose to the grindstone and keep training hard. I just stay focused on the task in front of me. All these things that you’re bringing up, this is the first time I’ve heard them. That’s why I don’t surf the Internet, I don’t read magazines, I don’t even read my own articles. I’m not a mark or a fan of myself, like these other fighters get (when) they get all goofy in their heads and believe everything they read. I’ve never done that.”

Now just three days out from the fight he’s been waiting for since beating Randy Couture to capture the UFC heavyweight title on November 15, Lesnar is counting down the days. “We’re just going to smother (Mir). He’s not going to be able to do a damn thing.”

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: Alistair Overeem is afraid of Brett Rogers

“I don’t think Overeem was ever planning on fighting Brett. I think Overeem is afraid of (him). He’s afraid of a big striker who is going to knock him out. … I don’t think anyone is going to admit that, but I’m not going to shy away from it. He’s had two opportunities to fight Brett but he hasn’t taken either of him. If you are under 250 pounds right now, just forget about fighting Brett Rogers because all that is going to happen is that you are going to get your head spun around.”

Feb 7, 2006
Gegard Mousasi: ‘My Opponents Can’t Hurt Me’

Gegard Mousasi is hands down one of the least talked about top talents in the sport today.

Widely regarded my many of the MMA hardcore as one of the very best pound for pound fighters in the world, Mousasi plans on taking his respect as he prepares for the most high profile bout of his twenty eight fight career to date.

The extremely dangerous Dutch-Armenian will be looking to celebrate his twenty fourth birthday in style as he faces off with the top rated Renato “Babalu” Sobral in a light-heavyweight match-up on August 1 in Anaheim, California as part of the “Affliction: Trilogy” main card.

It would be impossible for Gegard to not have a certain level of confidence going into the bout with Babalu following a dozen consecutive victories, but according to the Red Devil trained brawler, training alongside the greatest fighter on the planet has done wonders for his mind-set.

“Standing next to Fedor, I feel so much bigger than him,” explained Mousasi in a recent press release issued through Affliction. “When you train with him, he feels like a middleweight. He’s as strong as a heavyweight but as fast as a middleweight, so I think that makes him special. If I can take my speed as a middleweight, have that explosiveness and mobility and move up to heavyweight, I think that’s something a lot of them don’t have.”

Having polished off the likes of Denis Kang, Melvin Manhoef, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Mark Hunt over the last year has left Mousasi feeling like there isn’t a man alive that can finish him.

“I feel always that I’m physically stronger than my opponents,” said the former DREAM middleweight champion. “I feel like my opponents can’t hurt me because I’m always comfortable in stand-up and there hasn’t been a fighter that’s ground-and-pounded me,” he says. “I feel like I can hurt them, but they can’t hurt me.”

Without a doubt, Babalu poses one of the toughest tests, if not the toughest, of Mousasi’s six year career in MMA.

“Babalu is a big challenge,” said Mousasi. “I like the way he fights—he fights to win. He’s a real fighter. I like fighters who come to fight. This fight will be and all out war. I think the fans will get an exciting fight.

“Even if he could take me down, I don’t see him (being able to) ground and pound me. I don’t see him getting mount or top position (or) that he can do any damage. I don’t see him submit(ting) me. So eventually it’ll be a stand up fight again. And sooner or later, I’ll catch him.”

Feb 7, 2006
Maysey Further Explains Benefits of MMAFA

MMAPayout.com recently sat down with Mixed Martial Arts Fighters Association head Rob Maysey to clear up a common misconception of MMAFA and elaborate further on the benefits of the organization.

One thing that often gets misinterpreted with MMAFA is the thought that it is a union, or that it will necessarily lead to o a union. Such is not the case, according to Maysey:

No, organization is not the obvious precursor to a union, though organization is the precursor to virtually any successful venture. I am a member of the American Bar Association (ABA), and have been for years. The ABA is not, has never been, nor does it intend to be a union of any kind. That said, membership in the ABA provides benefits to members that individually, they could not obtain on their own. By approaching providers on behalf of the entire membership of the ABA, the ABA is able to obtain group discounts on a variety of benefit plans and from service providers and vendors. Individually, these discounts would be unobtainable. By leveraging its collective membership, the ABA is able to provide its members with a number of benefits including discounts on insurance plans, hotels and rental cars, and from various vendors and service providers. Membership in the ABA also provides members with a network and platform in which to hone their skills and to gain notoriety in any chosen field by writing articles for ABA publications, by chairing committees, and by networking with members. The ABA also leverages its collective membership by effectively lobbying congress, submitting draft proposals of laws for consideration, and participates in litigation by filing amicus briefs. Again, without the backing of its membership, none of these things is possible. By bringing attorneys together in one association, the ABA has created a very powerful and influential vehicle that not only provides benefits to its members, but also plays an active role in shaping the law.

Another example directly related to the mixed martial arts industry is the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC). The ABC isn’t a union of any sort, nor do they intend to be. The ABC, however, plays a central role in shaping the sport by adopting uniform rules which are voted upon and approved by each of its constituent members. Additionally, by coming together under one association, the ABC was able to create a “badge of distinction” that they then auctioned off to private enterprise. This distinction came in the form of the “Official Certified Database for Mixed Martial Arts,” and this “official” recognition was sold to Mixed Martial Arts, LLC. This is value created solely by virtue of the individual commissions coming together under one umbrella to recognize one official database. No individual commission would have been able to auction off such recognition, but together as a group, they created value to private enterprise that didn’t exist before.

The World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) provides another example in the Mixed Martial Arts industry. While not truly an “association,” WAMMA fashions itself an “alliance” between its promotional and advertising partners. WAMMA, by assembling this alliance, aims to profit by creating brand value in yet another “badge of distinction,” in this case, recognition as a WAMMA champion. By assembling the alliance and promoting its brand, WAMMA aims to profit by selling advertising to sponsors and by gaining corporate sponsorship for its rankings and belts. If WAMMA is unsuccessful in assembling a wide enough “alliance,” no value will be created.

In terms of the MMAFA, organization is the precursor to group licensing, branding, and effective lobbying. Large revenue streams are being claimed by private enterprise in the form of corporate sponsorships, advertising, memberships, and branded products. Talent isn’t even in the market for the vast majority of these revenue streams at all, because they don’t have a group to present to the corporate sponsors and gear providers, and they don’t have a group vehicle on the web to present to advertisers. Talent also has virtually no role in shaping the sport in which they compete, and in terms of influence, rank even below media. By coming together under one association, fighters will have a central voice in matters that impact the sport.

The model being utilized by the MMAFA has proven remarkably successful, over and over, and will provide its members with the same kinds of benefits, publicity, and protections as enjoyed by athletes in all of the other major professional sports. The MMAFA aims to maximize the influence and earning capacity of its members in the amazing sport of mixed martial arts. Unlike all other industry groups, the MMAFA is truly an association formed for the benefit of its members. The trademarks, logos, website, domains, and all other property of the MMAFA will be held in trust for the collective benefit of MMAFA members. Modeled closely after the Major League Baseball Players’ Association and the Screen Actors Guild, the MMAFA will be led and directed by its members and their elected member representatives.

The MMAFA provides its members with a brand that can be monetized through the sale of merchandise, and through licensing to third parties. The MMAFA also provides the following to all of its members:

· Media platform and publicity vehicle to promote and publicize the activities of our members;

· Revenue maximization through merchandising and licensing of collective brand; and

· Lobbying, and if necessary, litigation vehicle.

The future direction of the MMAFA is determined solely by the members. I am not a member, nor am I an owner. Thus, it is necessarily presumptuous of me or anyone else to speak as to the direction the members will choose at some future date.

Some overstate the role of litigation in the overall structure of MMAFA, Maysey defined the role of litigation within MMAFA…

Litigation is not a goal of the MMAFA, but as you saw with the EliteXC complaint prepared by the MMAFA, an association provides an effective litigation vehicle for its members. The career of a professional mixed martial artist is relatively short in duration. Thus, professional mixed martial artists must maximize their earnings potential during their peak athletic years. Litigation is an expensive, time-consuming process, and for the vast majority of professional mixed martial artists, not a viable option. The MMAFA will provide its members with a litigation vehicle, should litigation be necessary or desirable to improve the condition and status of its members in the mixed martial arts industry.

Maysey also gave a detailed look at how MMAFA would add untapped revenue streams for fighters as well as provide other benefits:

I believe the MMAFA can provide all members with revenue streams they don’t currently enjoy at all, and by capturing this revenue, the MMAFA seeks to provide all of its full members with health and other benefits. As the MMAFA matures, members decide how to allocate excess revenue, including the possibility of distributions to the members. Currently, in the mixed martial arts industry, private parties in the form of gear and apparel providers, community websites, media sites, and others profit from the personalities of the athletes who make this sport great. Very little of this ancillary revenue is returned to the talent at all. The MMAFA provides a vehicle to capture a large portion of this ancillary revenue for the talent—the one element consistently sought out by the general public.

Consider two potential tradeshow possibilities. This example is just a hypothetical used to show how various aspects of the industry currently operate, and to show why fighters on the whole receive a small fraction of the revenue they generate.

The first tradeshow is run and organized by a private enterprise, which pays a handful of fighters a small sum to appear at the tradeshow, and seeks to entice other fighters to attend by offering free admission. This private company then advertises the presence of the fighters to attract corporate sponsorships, advertising, and paying attendees from the general public.

The second tradeshow is presented by the MMAFA. All profits derived from this tradeshow go the members, less only the expenses of organizing the show. In the first example, fighters will collect approximately 5% at most of the profits derived. In the second example, the fighters become the owners of the event, and retain all profits.

The MMAFA has already prepared the stage, provided the infrastructure, and the tools necessary for fighters to do all of these kinds of things for themselves—and thus, keep the majority of the revenue derived.

Feb 7, 2006
Paulo Thiago goes with jiu-jitsu against Fitch

Undefeated in the career after 11 fights, Paulo Thiago wants to surprise again. After knocking Josh Koscheck out at UFC 95, the Brazilian wants to show that doesn’t only know about striking. Scheduled to face Jon Fitch this Saturday, the Brazilian spoke with TATAME about the training and the strategy for the challenge.

"My team believes that the best way to face Jon Fitch is on the ground. He’s a complete fighter, strikes right and is good on taking down", says Paulo, comparing Fitch with his first UFC opponent. ”He has more or less the same qualities of Koscheck, but we consider him a little more refined. I think the Jiu-Jitsu could make our victory easier", guarantees the fighter, who commented the bout between Thiago Alves and Georges St. Pierre for the welterweight title and the support received by the BOPE.