MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Marc Ratner: UFC aiming to increase quality of MMA officiating nationwide

With power comes responsibility, and the heads of the UFC understand that as well as anyone.

While the UFC is clearly the sport's largest – and most profitable – organization, much of the growth in regulation and acceptance of the sport of mixed martial arts is thanks to the Las Vegas-based promotion.

With nationwide regulation nearing completion, UFC exec Marc Ratner recently told the MMAjunkie.com Radio Network (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that increasing the quality of officiating was one of his next big projects.

"That's one of my other charges, is trying to make the officials better – get better referees, teaching more and doing more seminars," Ratner said. "We're going to do more of that, hopefully, next year."

Ratner said the first step is getting all 50 states to ratify regulation of mixed martial arts. Once complete, the UFC can work with the commissions to assist them in training both referees and judges.

"The first thing we want to do is get all the states to regulate [MMA]," Ratner said. "Once all the states regulate it, we can try to put some national seminars together. The Association of Boxing Commissions, which should now be called the Association of Combat Commissions, they're going to start doing some of that stuff."

While UFC president Dana White has often been openly critical of officials, Ratner offered a more understanding view of the state of MMA judging and refereeing.

"We need to keep on trying to make it better, trying to get a commonality of philosophy," Ratner said. "But some of the things I've read about – 'Oh, these decisions were horrible' – these fights are close fights. The Clay Guida fight with Diego (Sanchez at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale), that's a tough fight to score. Some of those rounds were real close.

"The first round, some people scored that round 10-8. That was as dominant of a round as you're going to see. That's one of the problems whether it's boxing or MMA. not all 10-9 rounds are equal, but they're scored equal. Certainly a wide round like the first round in that fight compared to the third round which was razor-thin depending on who you give it to, it gives the appearance that the judging isn't that consistent. But when you have a 10-9 system, that's what happens."

Despite the challenges a 10-point-must system can create in a three-round contest, Ratner does not see a need to change the process. Instead, he hopes increased experience, coupled with education, can help to improve officiating.

"We as a company will help [the commissions] try to get more certification for officials," Ratner said. "But you still have to learn on the job. You can take all these tests – I was a Division I football official for 20 years. You can do everything, you can pass a test, you can get a 100, but until you're in that game situation and have to make a (call), there's nothing like experience and watching yourself on film.

"We go to some of these states and these officials have never worked in front of a big crowd before and they freeze a little bit. You have to get over that. It's a learning curve."

Ratner believes a system that provides for regional training seminar, in addition to a national certification process, could help improve performance.

"I think that's a possibility," Ratner said. "(But) it would be a little bit tough. I think you're better off with regional seminars to start with.

"A lot of these guys aren't going to have the money to travel, and you have to pay for the course. But I'd like to see it regionally and then possibly have some kind of a final certification here."

It's an ambitious idea, and one Ratner hopes to commence after the sport's current struggle for nationwide regulation ends. No rest for the weary, and that certainly includes the former Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director.

"It's so busy, my best analogy is like if you climb this mountain for UFC 100, you're trying to get to the top of the mountain and look down, but there's no down," Ratner said. "There's another mountain right behind it. You're constantly moving, constantly climbing, but that's the exciting part of being at the UFC. You're constantly in action. You're busy, and it's exciting."

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Ricardo Arona returns for September bout with Marvin Eastman in Brazil

Brazilian submission ace and 12-time PRIDE veteran Ricardo Arono (13-5) is scheduled to fight for the first time in almost two-and-a-half years according to a new report from the Portuguese-language website SuperLutas.com.

According to the report, Arona will face five-time UFC veteran Marvin Eastman on Sept. 12 at Bitetti Combat in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

WEC and PFC veteran Glover Teixeira (6-2), as will as Brazilian submission artists Luciano Azevedo (15-7) and Milton Vieira (9-6-1) will also appear on the card.

Arona, who was once considered among the world's top light heavyweights, struggled prior to his extended layoff. "The Brazilian Tiger" earned just one win in his final four bouts before the break, including knockout losses to Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, and a split-decision loss to Wanderlei Silva.

Arona did earn a win over Alistair Overeem during the difficult stretch, and prior to the skid he had earned 10 wins in an 11-fight stretch. That streak included wins over Silva, Kazushi Sakuraba, Dean Lister, Murilo "Ninja" Rua, Dan Henderson, Guy Mezger, Gustavo Machado and Jeremy Horn, among others.

Eastman last fought in a second-round victory over Aron Lofton at MFC 21 in May. Prior to the win, Eastman had gone 2-3 in his past five contests, a difficult stretch against UFC veterans that included wins over Terry Martin and Rob Kimmons, as well as losses to Denis Kang, Drew McFedries and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

"The Beastman" has also faced Alan Belcher, Jason MacDonald, Jason Lambert, Travis Lutter, Vitor Belfort and Rich Franklin, among others, in his nine-year career.

Feb 7, 2006
HENDERSON PLANS TO SILENCE CRITICS AND BISPING

One of the living legends of mixed martial arts, Dan Henderson, will do battle once again on July 11 on a UFC 100 fight card that is truly of historic origins, much like “Hendo” himself.

Making a name overseas, the Team Quest co-founder has accomplished things that most fighters could only dream of.

A who’s who of MMA’s finest; Henderson has left no stone unturned when it comes to facing more than worthy opponents including the Nogueira brothers, Murilo Bustamante, Kazuo Misaki, Vitor Belfort and a stunning knockout of than Pride Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva, while fighting in Japan. He would make his return to the UFC after nearly 10 years, winning the UFC 17 Middleweight Tournament, eliminating Carlos Newton and Allan Goes to retain the title during his initial stint in the promotion.

Along with his long list of accomplishments and accolades in wrestling, which included stints on the '92 and '96 Olympic Greco-Roman wrestling teams, what he is most recognized for is for holding two titles in two different weight classes simultaneously for the now defunct Pride Fighting Championships, a feat that has since been unattainable in a promotion of that stature.

He was unsuccessful in his first two outings back with the big show, both title unification bouts to declare the absolute champion in each weight class, unifying the Pride and UFC’s middleweight and light heavyweight titles against Anderson Silva and Quinton Jackson (respectively).

“Hendo” has since rebounded with two consecutive wins, against submission whiz Rousimar Palhares and former middleweight champ Rich Franklin, a win that guaranteed his spot not only as the U.S. coach of Season 9 of The Ultimate Fighter, but a chance to face off against the face of the U.K. MMA scene, Michael Bisping.

Steadfast, with just under a week remaining till the fight, Henderson is ready to go.

“Trainings been going good, body feels good, so right on track to kick some ass,” he told MMAWeekly Radio.

Bisping, being notorious for his outspokenness and antics, it would lead some to believe that the former Pride Champion may have been phased by the ruckus... but not in the slightest.

“No I don’t believe he got under my skin at all. I’m pretty hard to get riled up. It doesn’t really bother me; it doesn’t matter what he says. It’s just a matter of what he can and can’t do out there in the fight and I know what I’m going to be doing to him.”

In his last fight, “The Count” fought former Team Quest affiliate Chris Leben, headlining UFC 89 in Birmingham, England. Displaying a safe approach to the fight, staying outside of “The Crippler’s” range to land his signature left hook, Bisping was able to implement a stick and move tactic and it is that same gameplan that Henderson believes he will employ in their upcoming fight, just with a different intended result.

“I’m sure he’s going to fight me similar to how he fought Leben, just kind of outpoint me and move around more and I’m going to have to do the opposite. I’m going have to outpoint him and beat him up.”

Though obviously a talented fighter, Bisping may be more infamously known for his fight against fellow Ultimate Fighter competitor of the same season Matt Hamill. A fight billed as the true Ultimate Fighter bout saw Bisping earn a highly disputed split decision over Hamill. Henderson certainly doesn’t want to suffer the same fate.

“It gives me a little more motivation to finish the fight and not let any judge’s screw anything up this time. Then again, I try to finish every fight,” said the California native.

With the days, hours and minutes winding down, Henderson has everything to gain from this fight. Another win would move him a step closer to another shot against Anderson Silva, a fight where Henderson would like to redeem himself from his previous performance. Of course a win over the brash and talented U.K. star wouldn’t be so bad either.

Now after all the talk, the time has come for Henderson to silence his critics and his opponent.

“I think it’s the power on my feet combined with my wrestling, it’s going to keep him guessing where I’m going to attack next, and he’s just never fought anybody like me," he assessed, before adding, "I don’t think that’s going to be 100 percent possible no matter how badly I beat him up. It won’t shut him up completely, but I will do my best to at least shut him up for a few days.”

Feb 7, 2006
Fighting Mixed Combative! July 13th Press Conference

The new South Korean MMA organization Fighting Mixed Combative are planning to have a press conference on July 13th, announcing some names and other things for their August 15th and September 26th cards.

It seems that the people behind FMC have heavy Russian connections so expect a lot of Russian fighters participating on FMC cards.

Some names who already seem to be decided are Ivan Emelianenko, “Russia Edition Gina Carano” Julia Berezikova, Mikhail Malyutin who turned around his career in 2008, and four Korean names.

Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Blagoy Alexandre Ivanov is as previously reported rumored for the second FMC event in September.

Oct 23, 2006
your sig video makes me want to see Anderson get knocked the fuck out. Someone should do an impression of him where he dances around for 25 minutes and cant finish a fighter who does nothing but lay on his back. Wait, maybe thats cuz an overweight gassed out Travis Lutter came a nut hairs length from finishing him.

May 10, 2002
your sig video makes me want to see Anderson get knocked the fuck out. Someone should do an impression of him where he dances around for 25 minutes and cant finish a fighter who does nothing but lay on his back. Wait, maybe thats cuz an overweight gassed out Travis Lutter came a nut hairs length from finishing him.
James Irvin is that you?

Feb 7, 2006
^^^^ No I think it's Travis Lutter or thales do nothing leites and we all know Lutter could not cut it in the ufc. Oh and Anderson subbed Lutter who was supposed to be superior then him on the ground.

Feb 7, 2006
Overeem-Werdum Set for Strikeforce Title

Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem will defend his crown against Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” on Aug. 15 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The promotion announced the bout -- a rematch of a May 2006 contest in Pride Fighting Championships -- on Monday.

The hard-hitting Dutchman earned the title in November 2007 with a blistering performance against Paul Buentello that ended with second-round knees. However, the 6-foot-5 striker has not graced Strikeforce’s cage since. Instead, he has rattled off three victories and a controversial “no contest” against Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic for the Dream promotion in Japan.

Overeem (29-11) had been slated to make his first title defense on June 6 against Brett Rogers, but sustained a hand injury during an altercation with security in an Amsterdam nightclub. Overeem, 29, holds key victories over Vitor Belfort, Sergei Kharitonov and Mark Hunt.

Werdum (11-4-1), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, submitted Overeem with a second-round kimura during their first encounter in 2006. Once touted as a contender for the UFC heavyweight title, Werdum went 2-2 in the Octagon before he was surprisingly released from the organization in November 2008, shortly after a first-round loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 90.

Werdum, 31, carries victories over Brandon Vera, Gabriel Gonzaga and Aleksander Emelianenko.

The title bout will join two others on Strikeforce’s Aug. 15 card. In the main event, Gina Carano and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos vie for the first-ever Strikeforce 145-pound women’s championship. Lightweight champion Josh Thomson will also tangle with interim champion Gilbert Melendez in a rematch of their highly regarded June 2008 tilt.

Feb 7, 2006
Update: Johnson Hospitalized After Shooting

Heavyweight Lavar Johnson was shot in the abdomen by an unidentified assailant at 12:34 a.m. PST on July 5 in Bakersfield, Calif., according to a news release distributed by the Bakersfield Police Dept.

The Bakersfield Californian was the first to report on the incident.

Johnson’s trainer and manager, Bob Cook, believed his fighter was “between serious and critical condition” on Sunday evening. Cook said he’d been told that Johnson had been shot two times –- once in the back and abdomen and once in his chest.

Cook, who oversees Johnson’s career at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., told Sherdog.com he was en route to the local hospital where Johnson was being treated.

Johnson, 32, was reportedly attending a family reunion outside a private residence when “a black male in his late teens” that had been “walking past the residence” discharged a semi-automatic handgun multiple times into the crowd, said the release.

Three others were reportedly shot and sent to local hospitals for care for minor to moderate wounds. A fourth man, Anthony Mack Johnson, reportedly died at the scene from multiple shots.

It is not known if the deceased was a relation of the fighter.

The shooter, who was believed to have been accompanied by another male and a female, fled the scene and has not been located. It is unknown if he had any connection to the gathering.

A Bakersfield Police Dept. representative said the incident has been classified as an “ongoing investigation” and that no further details would be made public other than the press release.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said Johnson had been scheduled to compete at the promotion’s next event on Aug. 15 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Coker said negotiations has been underway to match Johnson against British brawler James Thompson.

Coker said he’d been told that Johnson was to undergo surgery shortly.

“He was definitely one of the guys we identified to move up into the big shows,” said Coker. “He has power and a lot of potential in our eyes. He’s in a real fight now and I hope he can make it through now for himself and his family.”

A WEC and PFC heavyweight prospect, Johnson (12-3) knocked out Carl Seumanutafa at Strikeforce’s Challenger Series on May 15 in Fresno, Calif. The victory was Johnson’s fifth in a row by first-round stoppage.

Feb 7, 2006
Rich Franklin vs. Chuck Liddell not happening at UFC 103; Franklin still a main-event option

September's UFC 103 card is in need of a main event, but the Dallas event won't feature a rumored (and heavily speculated) bout between Rich Franklin and recently retired former UFC light heavyweight Chuck Liddell.

That's the word from MMAjunkie.com's Dann Stupp, who gives an update on Franklin in today's "MMA Insider" column in the Dayton Daily News.

According to the report, UFC officials have contacted Franklin with a handful of potential opponents' names for the Sept. 19 card, but Liddell isn't one of them.

(In fact, according to SI.com's Josh Gross, Liddell hasn't ruled out a return from his announced retirement. But the 39-year-old fighter, who most recently fought in April with a loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, is taking at least a year off because, "I think I need at least some time off from getting hit," he said.)

According to the Dayton Daily News, Franklin, who most recently defeated Wanderlei Silva via unanimous decision at UFC 99, was eying a return in December before UFC officials contacted him about an earlier return at UFC 103. With most of the UFC's top acts already booked for other cards, "Ace" is one of the few remaining fighters who has the star power to headline a pay-per-view card.

As previously reported by MMAjunkie.com, UFC 103 is expected to feature Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg, Hermes Franca vs. Tyson Griffin, and Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller. And though all the bouts are suitable on a main card, none is especially main-event worthy.

Franklin (25-4 overall, 12-3 in the UFC) recently fulfilled the terms of his previous UFC contract with the Silva fight in June. However, he's expected to sign a new deal in the coming weeks.

Feb 7, 2006
COLE MILLER PLANS TO BUILD OFF ESCUDERO'S BACK

Cole Miller has had five fights in the UFC since stepping off of the cast of the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter. His only misstep has been late second-round TKO loss to Jeremy Stephens, outside of that he has won all four of his other UFC bouts, including Andy Wang, Leonard Garcia, Jorge Gurgel, and, most recently, attention magnet Junie Browning.

"I think he was the worst guy that I've fought in the UFC, but I got to do it on TV," Miller told MMAWeekly.com recently.

Of course, doing it on TV is the key for Miller. Since exiting The Ultimate Fighter, he has steadily built a name for himself in the Octagon and television is a huge catalyst for any fighter that's working his way up the ladder.

At UFC 103 on Sept. 19 in Dallas, he hopes to take big next step up that contender's ladder when he faces off with Efrain Escudero, who won the eight season of The Ultimate Fighter. Besides defeating Phillipe Nover – the fighter UFC president Dana White had anointed as possibly the 155-pound Anderson Silva – in the finale, Escudero brings with him a spotless 11-0 professional record.

At 15-3, Miller will have the definite advantage in experience, but he expects a tough, but clean fight out of Escudero.

"That last fight, I got a little bit extra in Junie, but there's no bad blood between me and Efrain," said Miller, but added that won't distract from his objectives. "I hope to finish him, but I expect him to be training hard... I want to be showcasing the skills that I have and I need to fight guys like Efrain to show that I belong fighting those next level guys."

Feb 7, 2006
Mike Pyle vs. Chris Wilson expected at UFC Fight Night 19 in Oklahoma City

While you never get a second chance to make a first impression, welterweight Mike Pyle (17-6-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will certainly try his best.

The Xtreme Couture fighter, who was a last-second replacement opponent for Brock Larson at UFC 98 in May, will now meet the man he replaced, Chris Wilson (14-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC), at UFC Fight Night 19 in Oklahoma City.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed with sources close to the negotiations that the fight isn't signed but that bout agreements will be finalized this week for the Sept. 16 matchup, which was first reported by MMA FanHouse on Sunday.

UFC Fight Night 19, which serves as a lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10," takes place at the Cox Convention Center and airs on Spike TV.

Pyle was submitted in the first round of his May UFC debut after struggling to cut weight for the contest. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for Pyle, who previously fought for the WEC, Affliction, Strikeforce, M-1 and the now-defunct EliteXC and IFL organizations.

The Xtreme Couture welterweight, who turned pro in 1999, finds himself in a must-win situation if he hopes to remain in the UFC.

Of course, the same can be said for his opponent, Wilson. The IFL veteran splashed onto the UFC scene with a solid (but losing) effort against welterweight contender Jon Fitch at UFC 82. Wilson rebounded for a unanimous-decision win over Steve Bruno five months later, but most recently, he suffered a close split-decision loss to John Howard at UFC 94 in January.

Wilson was expected to fight Larson at UFC 98, but he wasn't cleared because of issues with his paperwork and a prescription he disclosed to Nevada State Athletic Commission officials. The late scratch came just a few weeks after Wilson and his family were robbed in their apartment in Brazil, making for a truly crummy month.

As the UFC continues its roster purge, Pyle and Wilson both likely need a victory to remain in the organization.

Feb 7, 2006
ST. PIERRE NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING ALVES OFFERS

For any fighter that is currently aspiring to hit the heights in the sport of MMA, the model to follow is undoubtedly current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who has molded himself into the most complete fighter in the sport, while continuously evolving with each and every fight.

Coming off of possibly the biggest win of his career, a fourth round TKO over arch rival B.J. Penn, it was St. Pierre who opted for only a week off before heading right back into the gym to train, which he says he does because he loves it, not because he has to.

The two-time UFC champion traveled to several gyms to prepare for his July 11 showdown against No. 1 contender Thiago Alves, including trips to New York to work with Renzo Gracie's school, and to France where he worked with several world class Muay Thai experts.

Still what has to be described as an almost flawless performance against Penn, it's St. Pierre who readily admits that he is a different fighter from that bout, and he is always changing his game to stay on top of any opponent who dares face him in the cage.

"I'm a different fighter than when I fought B.J. Penn. It's a different fight against a different opponent, and I do have a specific strategy that I will use against him," St. Pierre told MMAWeekly Radio recently about his gameplan for Alves. "And I'm going to use it the night of the fight."

While St. Pierre's strategy is usually locked away deeper than the gold in Fort Knox, he will divulge one of his biggest weapons in every fight, which is his uncanny ability to take away his opponent's biggest strength, and putting them on the defensive as soon as the horn sounds.

"The main thing is to keep your opponent out of their comfort zone," he commented. "The best defense is the offense. Not all of the time, but most of the time."

His opponent in this fight could be the biggest and most dangerous of any fighter St. Pierre has faced in his time with the UFC, but despite Alves' pedigree in the striking game, the Canadian champion will not shy away from trading shots with the American Top Team welterweight.

"I'm not afraid of him standing up, I'm not afraid of him anywhere," said St. Pierre. "I just acknowledge his strength, and I know what he's good at, but I'm not afraid of it. Either standing up, on the ground, anywhere."

Never one for insulting his opponents, St. Pierre says that it doesn't have to be personal for him to want to destroy Thiago Alves, because at the end of the day he is gunning for his title, and that's not something he is willing to hand over to anybody.

"People can talk as much as they want, talking doesn't help. It’s the fighting that's going to do the job in the Octagon," St. Pierre stated. "Thiago Alves is a great fighter, and he doesn't have to talk bad to make himself confident. He's a confident guy by himself, so that's what makes him even more dangerous than B.J. Penn."

Feb 7, 2006
Gegard Mousasi: DREAM's "Super Hulk" semifinals moved from DREAM.11 to DREAM.12

The semifinals of the Japanese-based DREAM's organization's "Super Hulk" tournament will not take place on Sept. 23 at DREAM.11 and instead will be held at a currently unannounced DREAM.12 event in October.

That's according to semifinalist Gegard Mousasi, who today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that the organization recently informed him of the change of plans.

The eight-man open-weight tourney features semifinal fights of Mousasi vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Hong Man Choi vs. Ikuhisa Minowa. The winners of both fights will meet later in the year in the tournament finale.

Former MLB player Jose Canseco, journeyman fighter and NFL vet Bob Sapp, kickboxing legend Jan Nortje and MMA veteran Mark Hunt were all knocked out in the first round of the tournament, which included fighters who weighed as little 218 pounds (Mousasi) and as much as 353 pounds (Nortje).

DREAM.11 takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. Despite the loss of the "Super Hulk" tourney, the event still features the semifinals and finale of the organization's featherweight grand prix.

The delay should actually benefit Mousasi, who's also slated to fight Strikeforce world light heavyweight champion Renato "Babalu" Sobral in the "Affliction: Trilogy" co-main event on Aug. 1. The bout is a non-title fight and marks Mousasi's debut with Affliction.

Feb 7, 2006
Takanori Gomi comes stateside to fight Rafaello Oliveira at "Affliction: Trilogy"

After negotiations with a variety of U.S.-based organizations, popular Japanese fighter Takanori Gomi (30-5) has signed with Affliction and will take on Rafaello Oliveira (8-1) at the organization's Aug. 1 "Trilogy" card.

Affliction recently added the bout to its pay-per-view main card.

The event, including the five-round headliner between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett, takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

In addition to the five-fight pay-per-view main card, the event also features an HDNet-televised preliminary card with Paul Daley vs. Jay Hieron in the featured bout.

Gomi fights in the U.S. for the first time since his submission loss to Nick Diaz at PRIDE 33, an event that took place in Las Vegas. (The loss, though, was later ruled a no-contest when Diaz's drug test came back positive for marijuana.)

Gomi, once one of the world's top lightweights, is just 3-2 since that February 2007 no-contest with losses to Sergey Golyaev (split decision) and Satoru Kitaoka (submission), both in World Victory Road's Sengoku event series. Gomi most recently rebounded for a first-round TKO victory over Takashi Nakakura at a May Shooto event.

Gomi has much more experience over his upcoming opponent, but in Oliveira, he faces a young opponent who's found success in a number of smaller regional promotions. Oliveira's only career loss came to Strikeforce lightweight prospect Lyle Beerbohm back in October. Otherwise, he's been rather dominant with seven stoppage victories in eight professional wins. Only his most recent fight (with John Mahlow at Xtreme Fighting Championships) went to a decision.

The now-official "Affliction: Trilogy" card and bout order includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett (for WAMMA heavyweight title)
* Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral
* Vitor Belfort vs. Jorge Santiago
* Paul Buentello vs. Gilbert Yvel
* Takanori Gomi vs. Rafaello Oliveira

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Paul Daley vs. Jay Hieron
* Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
* Ben Rothwell vs. Chase Gormley
* L.C. Davis vs. Javier Vazquez
* Mark Hominick vs. Deividas Taurosevicius
* Lucio Linhares vs. Mikhail Zayats (will not be aired)
* Rob Broughton vs. Jessie Gibbs (will not be aired)

Feb 7, 2006
Jeremy Stephens draws UFC newcomer Ronnys Torres for UFC Fight Night 19

Following the first back-to-back losses of his career, Jeremy Stephens (15-5 MMA, 3-4 UFC) will look to right the ship when he meets UFC newcomer and fellow lightweight Ronny Torres (14-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 19.

A source close to one of the fighters today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the bout is in the process on being finalized.

UFC Fight Night 19 takes place Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City and airs on Spike TV.

After winning four of five fights (which included a 3-1 mark in the UFC and a TKO victory over notable Cole Miller), Stephens headlined his first UFC card when he met Joe Lauzon in the main event of UFC Fight Night 17 back in February. However, Stephens, a replacement for his training partner Hermes Franca, suffered a second-round submission loss in the nationally televised event.

Fighting fewer than two months later, he then suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Gleison Tibau (a late replacement for Efrain Escudero) in the next UFC Fight Night installment.

The 23-year-old Iowan now takes on Torres, a Nova Uniao fighter who enters the octagon with an eight-fight winning streak. A veteran of the Brazil-base Jungle Fight promotion, Torres owns 12 stoppages in his 14 career victories, all of which have come in the past three years.

Feb 7, 2006
Upset at Henderson's comments, Bisping looks to silence "Hollywood" at UFC 100

Michael Bisping (17-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) insists he's not a villain; he just plays one on TV.

With his UFC 100 main-card bout with Dan Henderson (24-7 MMA, 3-2 UFC) now less than a week away, Bisping insists he's not the one responsible for the growing rivalry between the two opposing "The Ultimate Fighter" coaches in advance of their July 11 bout at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

"Ever since the show, [Henderson] has got a little personal, to be honest," Bisping today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "He hasn't really been talking about my fighting skills too much. He's been talking more about me as a person, which I have to say I'm more than a little offended by."

Bisping said he's surprised by Henderson's recent comments in the media, including resulting to name-calling that the Brit considers childish.

"He's been calling me a douchebag," Bisping said. "It makes me laugh. We made 12 episodes of 'The Ultimate Fighter,' and the guy never opened his mouth once.

"He said very, very little, and when he does decide to open his mouth the most intelligent thing he can come up with is to call me a douchebag. It's probably the same line he's been using since sixth grade. Maybe it's a good thing he kept his mouth shut."

Bisping admits he played a role in agitating Henderson on the show, but he insists he never meant anything personal by the banter.

"On the show I thought we got along OK," Bisping said. "I was trying to wind him up a little bit and things like that, but nothing serious. I was trying to bust his balls and have a laugh a little bit, get through my day. It was nothing intentional, and I expected to be given as much as I give, but he didn't really take me on.

"On the show I was a bit of an agitator. You've got to be honest. I did give it a bit of that, and I suppose some people want to see me put in my place for gloating a bit on 'The Ultimate Fighter' for my team doing so well. But on 'The Ultimate Fighter,' it was my responsibility to make sure that those guys did as well as they could."

Bisping said he also doesn't appreciate being portrayed as anti-American because of his role as Team U.K.'s coach. The middleweight insists he was against the concept of the show from the beginning.

"On 'The Ultimate Fighter,' the concept was U.S. vs. U.K., and I wasn't comfortable with that, right from the start," Bisping said. "I would have much preferred it to be Team Henderson and Team Bisping.

"It seemed like I was anti-U.S. on the show, but that's not the case at all. I've got a lot of American friends. I love spending time in the country. So I didn't want to seem anti-U.S. because that's not the case at all."

But by fighting the popular veteran Henderson on his home soil, Bisping knows to be prepared for the worst on Saturday night.

"Maybe I am the bad guy in this one," Bisping said. "I'm fighting Dan Henderson, who's the hometown guy, so I'm expecting to get booed. But that's fine.

"If they boo me coming into the fight, fingers crossed, I can put on an outstanding fight and hopefully they can cheer for that at the end of it."

What was once a simple bout between rival coaches has begun to take on a more genuinely personal tone as UFC 100 quickly approaches. While Bisping said he's done his best to steer clear of the trash talk, he admits he's been in this position before and is comfortable with the task at hand.

"I suppose I'm a little annoyed by him," Bisping said. "But for me, that's better. I think for Dan, to be honest, maybe he's underestimating me a little bit. He's been saying things like as long as he just goes on the treadmill and does some cardio, he'll be able to outfight me – that he doesn't have to work on any technique or any sparring or anything, he can just go out there and beat me.

"It's funny, a lot of opponents always seem to think the same way. Rashad Evans did. Chris Leben did. Even Charles McCarthy did. He said I was the most overrated fighter in the UFC and that I wasn't good at anything. I'm not sure he felt the same way at the end of the first round. Dan Henderson won't feel the same way either. I'm looking forward to proving him wrong."

And given the floor to respond with any name-calling of his own, Bisping said he prefers to wait until Saturday night.

"We can talk all we want, but the 11th of July, as they say, we're going to get it on," Bisping said. "We'll do the real talking then."

Feb 7, 2006
Johnson Surgery Went ‘Well,’ Says Trainer

The emergency surgery that Lavar Johnson underwent on Monday morning “looks like it went well,” said his manager and trainer Bob Cook via a text to Sherdog.com.

The 32-year-old heavyweight prospect was shot once to the back and abdomen area with a semi-automatic weapon by an unidentified assailant in the early hours of July 5 in Bakersfield, Calif.

Cook did not know Johnson’s current condition, but said he’d visited the fighter on Sunday evening in a local hospital, and had been told Johnson was “between serious and critical” condition.

Johnson was attending a family reunion and holiday celebration outside a private residence when a passerby opened fire on the gathering. Three others were shot and received minor to moderate wounds. A fourth man, Anthony Mack Johnson, reportedly died at the scene from multiple shots, according to the Bakersfield Police Dept.

A police dept. representative told Sherdog.com Monday that no further information would be released regarding the “ongoing investigation.”

Johnson (12-3) had been scheduled to compete on the undercard at Strikeforce’s Aug. 15 event in San Jose, Calif.