MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Heath Herring To Face Brock Lesnar At UFC 87

Posted by Dustin James on 05.23.2008

That's the current rumor....

Reports coming out of different fight camps say that the UFC is urgently trying to get a replacement to fill Mark Coleman's spot after Coleman was forced to pull out of his UFC 87 fight with Brock Lesnar due to a torn MCL this week. Heath Herring's name is the the one floating around the most, however Herring is hoping for a title shot after beating Cheick Kongo.

Kongo and Eddie Sanchez have also been rumored as possible replacements, however Kongo is scheduled to face Dan Evensen at UFC 87.

Credit: MMAOrganizations

Feb 7, 2006
Sokoudjou looks to return to winning ways at UFC 84

Five months after his disappointing UFC-debut loss to Lyoto Machida, Team Quest's Remeau Sokoudjou (4-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is ready to prove he belongs among the elite in the light-heavyweight division. The first step in that quest is a UFC 84 clash with fellow judoka Kazuhiro Nakamura (11-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) on Saturday.

Sokoudjou discussed his preparation for the bout while a recent guest on TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"I trained really hard," Sokoudjou said. "Coming from a loss, I don't want to have two losses in a row on my record. So I made sure I was in the gym all the time, enough time for me to come back and do what I usually do."

That time in the gym was spent in intense training sessions with a world-class roster of teammates, including UFC and PRIDE veteran Dan Henderson and K-1 star Peter Graham.

"I wish it was (just) intense," the 24-year-old said. "It's a nightmare because we got a bunch of big guys trying to hurt you, trying to destroy you. It's a nightmare to train out there. You got guys like Peter Grahame trying to kick your head off your body. You got Dan Henderson trying to body lock you and slam you on the ground. ... It's pretty ugly when you got a fight coming up, training with all those guys."

"Judo Thierry" said he will be bringing a different game plan to the octagon in this bout, and he plans on doing "whatever it takes" to return to winning ways.

"I used to think, 'You know what? I'm a Judo guy. I'm going to go there and do my Judo and throw people around,'" Sokoudjou explained. "I came in there, I got thrown off by my game plan, I didn't know what I was doing, and I lost. And after that I told myself, 'You know what? I'm going to go in there right now and do whatever it takes for me to win the fight.' ... If I need to use some of my Judo skills, I'm going to use it, but if I have to go in there and punch, kick, knee someone on their head, I'll do that."

Sokoudjou knows he must be prepared for anything, as the tougher-than-his-record-suggests Nakamura has shown the ability to implement a wide array of game plans throughout his career.

"When [Nakamura] fought Wanderlei (Silva) ... he was throwing bombs all day," the Cameroon native said. "But when he fought (Kevin) Randleman, when he fought a grappler, he was patient while he was in the clinch. When he fought (Lyoto) Machida, he kind of rushed in, and spent most of the time in the clinch. So, I had a chance to watch a bunch of his fights, and I got prepared for any kind of game plan he can come up with."

So how does Sokoudjou, who was a prized-free-agent signing for the UFC In 2007, feel he would measure up in the division if he can earn a victory?

"I don't know," Sokoudjou admitted. "I'm not (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva. I'm just a fighter, and that's my hope. I want to make sure my next fight brings me to the next level, but as far as what's going to happen afterwards, I have no control because Joe Silva and whoever is behind the UFC are the people controlling the fighters. But I'm looking forward to moving to the next level. ... I'm going to go out there and do my best, and hopefully, that will allow me to fight a top guy."

Sokoudjou also explained why he won't be entering the octagon with his "Predator" mask on Saturday night and why his Cameroon-resident parents still don't know he's a professional MMA fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
"Little Nog" meets veteran Vernon White at "Affliction: Banned"

Recently signed Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (13-3) will meet veteran fighter Vernon White (26-32-2) at the July 19 "Affliction: Banned" event.

White's management team at KO Dynasty today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the bout has been finalized.

Nogueira, the twin brother of UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and a longtime PRIDE fighter, was introduced as Affliction's latest signing during a Tuesday press conference in New York City.

"Affliction: Banned," which features a main event between former PRIDE heavyweight champ Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC title-holder Tim Sylvia, takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The night's main card airs on pay per view, and a portion of the preliminary card, featuring a Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko bout, airs live on FSN affiliates throughout the country.

Nogueira, 31, had posted an eight-fight win streak in PRIDE from September 2002 to April 2005 to emerge as one of the world's top light heavyweights. However, he's 2-2 in his past four fights. He most recently defeated Canadian veteran Todd Gouwenberg via second-round TKO at a February 2008 Hardcore Championship Fighting event.

White, 36, has fought for the UFC, PRIDE, Strikeforce, Pancrase, the WEC and other top organizations during his 15-year career. He's struggled as of late and has lost five of his past seven fights. However, he earned a victory via disqualification in his most recent bout. Jeremiah Constant was disqualifed for illegal strikes to the back of White's head at an April 5 Xtreme Cage Combat event.

The latest "Affliction" Banned" card now includes:

MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo
Ben Rothwell vs. TBA
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Vernon White
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
PRELIMINARY CARD

Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko
Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens
Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young
J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight
Brett Cooper vs. Mike Pyle

Feb 7, 2006
YUNDT VS SAKARA AT ULTIMATE FIGHTER 7 FINALE

The undercard for “The Ultimate Fighter 7” finale taking place on June 21 is starting to fill up quickly. MMAWeekly.com has confirmed with sources close to the fight that Rob Yundt will return to action to face American Top Team fighter Alessio Sakara in a middleweight contest at the event in Las Vegas.

Making his Octagon debut on just a few days of notice, Yundt faced Ricardo Almeida in a tough fight that saw the Alaskan lose by submission in the first round.

Despite the loss, he gained a lot of respect from fans and fighters alike for his willingness to step in on short notice and face a challenge from an opponent like Almeida. Now he faces another tough challenge from the heavy-handed Alessio Sakara.

The Italian born fighter has had mixed results during his time with the UFC, currently sporting a 3-4 record with 1 no contest to his credit. He made his 185-pound debut in March, putting on a great fight with Chris Leben, but eventually suffered a TKO loss to the former Ultimate Fighter cast member.

The fight with Yundt could be “make or break” for Sakara, who has always been exciting, but has suffered a number of tough losses over the past few years.

The bout is slated for the untelevised portion of the event, but as recently announced, Spike TV will lengthen the show to three hours and some of the preliminary bouts could be shown on television.

Feb 7, 2006
Pezão dreaming high with EliteXC

The Brazilian giant Antonio "Pezão" Silva, with 127kg and excessive strength, is the big bet of the American Top Team for the heavyweight category. Preparing himself to the debut on open TV at EliteXC on July, Pezão said in exclusive interview to TATAME, from ATT training center on his way to the North-America, his fight against the growth hormones and his family at ATT. "I'm in the queue and I want to be among the Top 10 and maybe one day, be at the first or second place", said the Brazilian, who dreams in conquer the belt, but he just doesn’t wants to learn to face the current champion in this category at the UFC, his friend Rodrigo Minotauro.

Feb 7, 2006
Frank Shamrock talks UFC 84, recovery and future opponents

Recovering after his incredible war with Cung Le in March, middleweight legend, Frank Shamrock appears to have suffered no loss of confidence as he eyes his return to the cage in late 2008.

A number of interesting possibilities are on the horizon for the outspoken submission fighter - check out what he has to say as he takes time to speak with Ironlife.com and break down this weekend’s headline bouts at UFC 84.

After suffering a fractured right ulna in the Cung Le fight, how long will it be before you are back training at 100%?

I reckon I’ve got 8 more weeks. 8 more weeks and I’ll be at about 70%, I can start punching again and then I’d like to fight again in September or October this year.

Which opponents out there are you most interested in fighting?
It’s either going to be Cung [Le] if I can get him in there – or I think somebody might come out of the CBS show and be a big star. Maybe it’s Joey Villasenor or Phil Baroni again, maybe it’s Robbie Lawler.

Next year, I have my brother, I have that fight planned and then later that year, Tito [Ortiz] and I are going to try and fight again. He’s looking to expand his brand without the impression of that giant company [UFC] and guide his own future. We had a fantastic fight that everybody in the world knows about; I’d love to do it again!

How do you think Tito is going to do tomorrow night against Lyoto Machida?

(sighs) I don’t know… I don’t know. The word is that the guy he’s fighting is real good. I know the UFC certainly doesn’t want him to win, so he’s got a couple of factors that go against him. I also know that he’s looking to the future and that’s a hard thing to do when you’ve got a tough opponent in front of you.

Obviously, the big fight is between Sean Sherk and BJ Penn, who do you think is going to win that one?

I think BJ will smash him.

What is it that makes you so sure about that?

He’s a phenomenal athlete and he has really good technique. Sherk is no slouch, but he doesn’t have any submission ability, his game is very one, or two-dimensional; he needs a lot more than that to beat a guy like BJ.

BJ’s only problem is that a lot of times he hasn’t come in in-shape.

Also on that card you’ve got Wanderlai Silva fighting Keith Jardine which is quite an interesting one. Who are you picking?

I hope Wanderlai wins, I don’t know who I’m picking, but I hope Wanderlai wins.

As a Wanderlai supporter in this one, are you concerned for him at all? A lot of observers seem to think that he is not quite the same fighter that he used to be.

Way too many shots. He’s got that style, he takes a couple and he gives some, takes some and gives some. That’s a tough road to walk, your body and brain accept the damage but it knows when it’s enough and it starts to let you know about it.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction is "Eyeing" Wanderlei Silva if he gets the Boot

DreamFighters.com's own "mmaPHD" has reported that Affliction management is keeping a VERY close eye on Wanderlei Silva, and even has a contract ready for him if by chance Dana White does decide to cutt him from the UFC if he does not win.

Affliction has reported saying that they are very interested in Wanderlei Silva, and like all fight fans they enjoy his love for fighting.

If Dana White does decide to cutt Wanderlei Silva, they will lose one of the best fighters on the planet, who is known world wide, not just in the USA.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce End Game for Television

With Strikeforce showing strong ratings gains, the company is now in a much better position to negotiate with NBC. With the show nearly tripling it's audience since the premiere and showing strong numbers in the 18-35 demographic, Scott Coker can make a strong case to NBC execs to give them a chance in an earlier time slot. The current slot is essentially a foot in the door with NBC, a means to and end rather than an end unto itself.

Strikeforce could angle for an occasional fill-in for SNL during it's summer hiatus or a possible week-end afternoon slot. The improved slot could still be a time buy situation, as that seems to be the trend for some of the lesser sports when it comes network coverage. Some examples of this are the PBR (professional bullriders tour) using a time buy on Fox boost their profile leading to a paying deal with Versus, LiveNation's Motocross tour, and some of the IMG programming seen on the weekends.

Feb 7, 2006
Godz of War without a main event!

Kevin Randleman has confirmed to PDG that because of a shoulder injury, he will not be fighting at the Event on June 21st. It has not been determined if he will need surgery or if therapy will heal the injury. The ‘Monster’ is expected to miss at least 2 months of action but should return by the end of the summer.

Also, several sources have told PDG that Jeff ‘Snowman’ Monson sustained a broken hand in his fight with Josh Barnett at Sengoku II and will not be fighting at Godz of War.

Feb 7, 2006
EXCLUSIVE: GEORGES ST. PIERRE TALKS FITCH, UFC 87

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced on Thursday that in lieu of the injury to Mark Coleman that will keep him out of his scheduled fight with Brock Lesnar, a new main event will feature welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St. Pierre defending his title against No. 1 contender Jon Fitch.

St. Pierre, fresh off of winning back the title on April 19 in his hometown of Montreal, told MMAWeekly.com about the fight with Jon Fitch, “I’m excited. He’s the man to beat and I’m glad to fight him.”

Fitch, who is currently 8-0 in the UFC, comes into the fight having defeated Chris Wilson at UFC 82 in March.

“He’s good everywhere. He’s going to be my toughest opponent so far,” St. Pierre said about his opponent. “Good standing up, very good in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, very good wrestler as well, so it causes a big problem. But I truly believe I will be able to solve them.”

The champion is currently in Denver, where he is helping friend and training partner Nathan Marquardt prepare for his upcoming fight with Thales Leites at UFC 85 in England.

Never backing down from a challenge, the current welterweight king doesn’t mind the short time between fights and welcomes the obstacle Jon Fitch presents.

“Of course I didn’t have a break after (Matt) Serra, but like we say I’ll sleep when I die,” the champion commented.

This will be St. Pierre’s first title defense since beating Serra and his second shot at redemption for a title defense. The last time out as champion defending the title, he dropped the strap to Serra in one of the biggest upsets in MMA history. A mistake St. Pierre doesn’t intend on making again.

“I found out what it takes to be champion and what it takes to stay champion, and I know it this time. It’s going to be a different story,” he said. “I’m not the same guy (as when) I was champion the first time. I’m a different guy. I will show it Aug. 9.”

Prior to his second bout with Serra, it was Jon Fitch who called St. Pierre’s gameplan into question, stating that he didn’t believe the Canadian would stand with his opponent because he feared being knocked out again.

St. Pierre is happy to let his fight game do the talking for him on Aug. 9.

“I don’t have nothing to prove to nobody. He will find out himself during the fight,” St. Pierre stated in response to Fitch’s comments.

Georges St. Pierre will defend his welterweight championship against Jon Fitch on August 9 in Minnesota as the main event of UFC 87.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 84 weigh in results for Penn vs Sherk PPV event fights

The official weigh-in event for UFC 84: “Ill Will” is set for this evening (Friday, May 23) at 7 p.m. ET at the MGM Marquee Ballroom in Las Vegas, Nevada.

It will air LIVE online via streaming video on ESPN.com, NBCSports.com, Sympatico MSN, Yahoo!Sports.com and FoxSports.com at this time.

Of course, MMAmania.com will provide up to the minute coverage of the UFC 84 weigh-in, as well as provide a detailed recap of the festivities as soon as they conclude. Therefore, if you miss the broadcast or just want to share your thoughts on the event (or both) definitely hit us up.

Here are the official results (will begin to update around 7 p.m. ET):

155 lbs.: B.J. Penn (155lbs) vs. Sean Sherk (155lbs)
205 lbs.: Wanderlei Silva (205lbs) vs. Keith Jardine (205lbs)
205 lbs.: Goran Reljic (205lbs) vs. Wilson Gouveia (205lbs)
205 lbs.: Tito Ortiz (205lbs) vs. Lyoto Machida (203lbs)
205 lbs.: Thiago Silva (205lbs) vs. Antonio Mendes (203lbs)
185 lbs.: Rousimar Palhares (185lbs) vs. Ivan Salaverry (185lbs)
205 lbs.: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (204lbs) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (206lbs)
155 lbs.: Terry Etim (155lbs) vs. Rich Clementi (155lbs)
170 lbs.: Jon Koppenhaver (170lbs) vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida (170lbs)
170 lbs.: Dong Hyun Kim (171lbs) vs. Jason Tan (170lbs)
265 lbs.: Shane Carwin (252lbs) vs. Christian Wellisch (230lbs)

Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive Interview: Tim Sylvia

Written by TheGARV
Thursday, 22 May 2008 14:13
Tim Sylvia, the six foot eight former UFC heavyweight champion, will be taking on the great Fedor Emelianenko in July at Affliction Banned. I spoke to Tim at the Affliction Banned press conference in NYC today.

Hey Tim. Your split with the UFC, was it about money?

No, I'm not gonna say that. It's just we were both at crossroads in our career. I was at a crossroad in my career and they just didn't know what they wanted to do. I had no interest in fighting a prelim fight in my next fight. And the thing is if I won I would be back in title contention again. And how many people really want to see Tim Sylvia fighting for a heavyweight title in the UFC again. You know, I've done it like eight times. So they just had a different route they wanted to do with the UFC right now and I've got some different things that I'm wanting to do. So I'll do my thing for a couple of years and hopefully I'll have a home back in the UFC someday.

How's your relationship with Dana White?

Everything's fine. My manager took care of all the negotiating, that's what he gets paid to do. But we left on good terms and as far as I know we're still on good terms. I love the guy. He's done a lot for me and I consider us friends, along with the Ferttita brothers as well. I actually spoke with Lorenzo, so I think everything's good. Without the UFC the sport wouldn't be where it is today.

At long last you are finally fighting Fedor.

I'm really excited about fighting Fedor. It's something the fans wanted a long time. He hasn't fought somebody in the top ten in the last two or three years. So this is the time. My last seven fights I fought somebody in the top ten. So that's what I do. I'm a fighter and I want to fight the best. Right now he's labeled the best and I'm going to go out there and do what I can do...and usually do what I do best and hopefully come away with a win.

What you do best is throw those long punches from the outside.

Exactly. Him being six foot and me being six eight, that's gonna be a big advantage for me.

I don't think he's going to want to stand and trade with you. Are you prepared for the takedown?

I'm always prepared when they take me down, but (laughs) that's usually when I get beat. I'm doing some different things for this fight and I hope it goes to show when fight time comes.

If you beat Fedor, it would make sense to rematch Randy.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

I know you were disappointed with the first fight, how do you explain the loss?

I wasn't a hundred percent and Randy was on. That was the best Randy's fought and he showed up with a great game plan, kept me guessing all night long, and kicked my ass.

Kimbo is headlining the CBS card. A lot of people feel he doesn't deserve to be headliner. What's your take?

I don't agree with making Kimbo the main event. I believe Scott Smith and Robbie Lawler deserve that, Robbie being their champion. So why wouldn't you have a title fight being the main event? Kimbo's a hell of an athlete, a tough guy and I believe he's doing the right things to become a better fighter. And you can't be pissed off at him for them giving him the opportunity of the main event. I mean, that's great, he's out there making a living. But I don't agree with the way the promotions have built him. I'm just worried that you're going to see kids go out there and fight on the street and put them on YouTube and hope they get the same start that Kimbo got through it.

It's like taking a shortcut instead of coming up the ranks.

Absolutely. I truly believe it's a bad example. But you can't blame that on Kimbo. I mean, he's made himself and I truly believe he will be a great fighter someday. He's doing the right things to become one. And he's a good athlete, he's got some good punching power and he's colorful. So people do want to see him.

Thanks, Tim.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction Pulls Out Trump Card At NYC Press Conference

NEW YORK (May 22, 2008)" A large, enthusiastic crowd welcomed some of the world’s top mixed-martial-arts fighters to New York City at today’s “Affliction Banned” press conference in Trump Tower.

Donald Trump welcomed everyone to Trump Tower. “These are all tough guys,” he said as he looked across the head table. “We’re all tough, right? I asked one of these guys how long I’d last and looked at me like I was kidding. Affliction is going to do very well and I look forward to being there for it.”
Affliction will make history July 19 presenting its own Mixed-Martial-Arts pay-per-view event in association with Roy Englebrecht Events, appropriately named “Affliction Banned,” featuring the much-anticipated return of Russian heavyweight superstar Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko in association with M-1, supported by an All-World caliber undercard, at Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
“July 19th is going to be a milestone for both Affliction and Mixed Martial Arts,” remarked Tom Atencio, Vice President of Affliction. “For fans of Affliction and core fans of MMA this event not only features an incredibly stacked card with the best fighters in the world, but, more importantly, it marks the emergence of a new era in MMA. Affliction Clothing is proud to be at the forefront of this new time, when promoters and fighters can come together and produce the fights that fans want to see. Our mission is simple: support the people who have supported us and bring the fans of MMA the best fights possible with the best fighters from around the world. Ladies and gentlemen, I formally announce to you Affliction’s entry into the arena of MMA and I’m extremely excited to introduce you to the fighters of Affliction Banned.”
Fedor (27-1), the former undisputed PRIDE® heavyweight champion and Russian M-1 legend, has been universally recognized the past five years as the most dominating heavyweight in the world. He will fight former 2-time UFC® heavyweight title-holder Tim “The Maine-iac” Sylvia (24-4), fighting out of Iowa by way of his native Maine.

Feb 7, 2006
SOKOUDJOU: "I'M FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE"

link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2710.html?PHPSESSID=39ac781879bd69230fc7982eb7b3b327
"I will fight like this is the last fight of my life. It's like I'm fighting for my life pretty much so as far as any pressure, I'm not going to go in there and think I've lost my first fight and I've got to make it right. I'm going to go in there like I've never fought before and this is the only fight I have in my life," stated UFC light heavyweight Sokoudjou as he talked about his upcoming clash with Kazuhiro Nakamura at UFC 84 this Saturday. Check out what he had to say about Nakamura, the fight and more.

Feb 7, 2006
Texas Court Grants Zuffa Emergency Stay in Couture Case

What strides Mark Cuban's HDNet Fights made on Monday came to grinding halt on Friday, when the Dallas County Fifth Court of Appeals granted an emergency stay to Zuffa LLC. in its continuing litigation battle with resigned UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture (Pictures).

Friday's decision will effectively postpone a June 2 hearing that would have reviewed and possibly ruled on a motion for a summary judgment on Couture's promotional (fight) contract. In its Feb. 13 suit, the rival promotion announced that it was ready to sign into a business agreement with Couture once his contract with Zuffa had been fulfilled, and requested a Texas court decide just when the UFC Hall of Fame inductee's obligations would be satisfied.

Citing disdain over pay and treatment, Couture resigned from the UFC on October 11, 2007, and believes his promotional contract will expire in July. Zuffa contends the fighter still owes the UFC two more fights.

Zuffa's three motions to stay, delay and/or dismiss HDNet's suit were denied on Monday, but the promotion promptly filed for an appeal.

The Dallas appeals court will now review briefs from both parties and render its own decision. If the appeal is awarded, Zuffa's original request to stay HDNet's motion will likely be granted, clearing the way for arbitration proceedings already underway in Nevada to decide Couture's fate.

If the appeal is denied, a new date will be set to hear HDNet's motion for a summary judgment in Texas.

Feb 7, 2006
HDNet Fights, Adrenaline agree to 3 fight deal

It was announced on this week's edition of Inside MMA that HDNet Fights and Adrenaline MMA have reached an agreement to air Adrenaline MMA's first three cards on the the high definition network. Adrenaline MMA, formerly M-1 Global, will hold their first card on June 14th in Chicago and is headlined by Mike Russow vs Jeff Monson. The company's second show will originate from Moline, Illinois on September 6th with Ben Rothwell and Tim Sylvia appearing on the card.

Feb 7, 2006
James Thompson explains decision to leave Xtreme Couture

James “The Colossus” Thompson made headlines last year when he announced his decision to relocate to the United States and Las Vegas in order to train at Randy Couture’s Xtreme Couture gym.

At the time, the feeling was that by training at Xtreme Couture, Thompson’s overall MMA game would begin to evolve as a result. However, against Brett Rogers during his EliteXC debut in Miami this past February, Thompson still opened the fight with his patented “Gong ‘N Dash” maneuver in which he charges his opponent. And while Thompson did put Rogers against the cage in an apparent attempt to take him off his feet, he was unsuccessful in doing so and was knocked out at 2:24 of round 1.

Thompson will return to the cage next Saturday in the main event of EliteXC’s debut on CBS when he takes on Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson. But for the fight, Thompson has returned to his native UK and is no longer working with Xtreme Couture. Instead, he’s been preparing for his fight at a camp called London Street Fighters.

But for Thompson, the decision to not train at Xtreme Couture for the Slice fight was one made based on logic.

“I’m training with a team called London Street Fighters at the moment in England,” Thompson responded during a conference call on Thursday when asked to talk about his preparation for the fight. “You know I spent some time actually (deciding where to train). I joined a great team with great people. I learn from them. The problem was Shawn Thompkins has done a lot of work with Bas and Kimbo. I didn’t want to put him in such an awkward position. Shawn is a great guy. So I started looking for all the teams and followed up on one in England. It’s all been going great for me.”