MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Torn MCL Stalls Coleman-Lesnar Showdown,

Thursday, May 22, 2008
by Loretta Hunt

Former UFC champion Mark Coleman (Pictures) has withdrawn from a heavyweight tilt with upstart Brock Lesnar (Pictures) scheduled for UFC 87: Seek and Destroy on August 9 at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn., due to a knee injury, UFC.com announced on Thursday.

Coleman, 43, confirmed that he tore his MCL in training and will be sidelined for six weeks. The injury will not require surgery.

The headlining bout would have pitted the former NCAA wrestling champions against one another on Lesnar's home turf in his third professional contest. Lesnar, a former WWE superstar, garnered much attention for his UFC debut on February 2 in Las Vegas - a submission loss to former UFC champion Frank Mir (Pictures).

Jul 24, 2005
Matt Hamill on Quinton Jackson - He would be a challenging opponent for me.

MMAyou.com: How are you doing?

Hamill: I've been doing good.. I took a break from training after my last fight and have just started getting back into it again.

MMAyou.com: Do you know who you're fighting next?

Hamill: That's up to the UFC, I am ready for whoever they choose for me.

MMAyou.com: Is there anyone you'd like to face?

Hamill: Honestly, anyone who is ranked in the top 10 would be ideal for me.

MMAyou.com: How do you feel you would match-up against UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson?

Hamill: He would be a challenging opponent for me, but I am always ready for a challenge. That's what drives me.

MMAyou.com: Who would you say has been your toughest opponent so far?

Hamill: Tim Boetsch, by far. He landed some hard shots on me and really made me work.

MMAyou.com: I know you've been asked a million times about your fight with Michael Bisping but I wanted to ask you this. Do you feel that fight was bad judging or do you think it goes higher then that?

Hamill: It falls in the judges' hands. I don't believe there is anything more to it than that. I believe everything happens for a reason. I WAS disappointed in the final outcome of that fight, but good things have come of it.

MMAyou.com: You have a move that you do that is kind of like a guillotine but instead of submitting the opponent you punch them in the face. How did you come up with that?

Hamill: Front head lock comes natural for me. I still consider myself to be a raw fighter that's learning more every day.. I do what comes to mind at that moment. I will try to go for different techniques with each fight that comes my way.

MMAyou.com: Who do you look up to for inspiration?

Hamill: My grandfather, Stan McCoy, he was the one that truly made me believe in myself, and he instilled the heart and fire that I have today.

MMAyou.com: You're going to be the subject of a movie called “Hamill” which focuses on your early years. You've received much criticism from the deaf community about choosing a non-deaf actor. What would you like to say to the critics?

Hamill: I understand their point of view, they want the world to see that a deaf actor can bring as much to a movie as a hearing actor playing a deaf role. But for me, I stand by my decision to have Eben play me, he best represents me as I am, and that's what the movie is about. But I do believe that this film will not disappoint the deaf culture, there will be a wide range of actors/actresses that are deaf and hearing.

MMAyou.com: Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?

I wanted to thank you all for the tremendous amount of support I have received throughout my career in the UFC. I will keep you all posted as to my updates on my website, www.MattHamill.com.

Feb 7, 2006
Houston Alexander agrees to meet Eric Schafer at UFN 14

UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander (8-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) has agreed to meet Eric Schafer (9-3-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 14, an event that takes place Sept. 17 as a lead-in for the eighth season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

A source close to Alexander alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the bout today. Schafer wasn't immediately available for comment.

According to the source, Alexander had been offered various fights in both August and September before settling on a bout with Schafer. Contracts are expected to be signed shortly.

Alexander, a hard-hitting Nebraskan who burst on the UFC scene with swift victories over Keith Jardine and Alessio Sakara, has since cooled with first-round losses to Thiago Silva and James Irvin. The most recent loss came at UFC Fight Night 13 in April when Irvin floored Alexander with a Superman punch. Alexander protested the eight-second stoppage to no avail.

Schafer, meanwhile, will return to the UFC after two fights -- and two victories -- outside the organization. The Wisconsin-based fighter made his octagon debut in August 2006 with a first-round submission of Ron MacDonald but subsequently suffered TKO losses to Michael Bisping and Stephan Bonnar. In February Schafer said that he wanted to "get some more ring experience and improve my overall game." That's included two victories in the Gladiators Fighting Series organization. He also recently picked up his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.

Earlier this week, MMAjunkie.com reported that Josh Neer was also scheduled to fight at UFC Fight Night 14. Nate Diaz has been mentioned as a possible opponent.

Feb 7, 2006
Shaw-White Feud Could Be MMA’s Arum and King

They don't have the lengthy track record of Don King and Bob Arum, but Gary Shaw and Dana White are certainly off to a good start in creating MMA's version of boxing's most famous promotional rivals.

Say this for EliteXC's Shaw: When the promoter is mad, you don't need much prodding to pull it out of him.

Incensed by comments UFC President White made in a recent interview deriding Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, EliteXC's headline attraction for its May 31 broadcast on CBS, Shaw fired back with both guns blazing during a Thursday media conference call.

In a May 21 interview with the Long Beach Press-Telegram, White offered up his assessment of Slice and rival promotion EliteXC, whose coveted CBS slot will be the first mixed martial arts broadcast in primetime on network television. The 16-month-old Elite XC lacks the massive brand recognition the UFC has spent years building, but with the CBS slot, they've landed a deal that eluded UFC when it fell out of negotiations with both CBS and HBO last year.

"The amount of talent and fights we put on are second to none. Think about it, the CBS fight that they are coming up with, who gives a crap about Kimbo Slice?" White told the Press-Telegram. "This guy can't fight MMA. You know what would happen if he fought in the UFC? I'd put him in against (UFC lightweight champion) B.J. Penn (Pictures) and (Slice) would get annihilated. Kimbo has no credibility at all in MMA. I am telling you, B.J. Penn would beat him."

With the 155-pound Penn giving up 80 pounds to the heavyweight Slice (including Kimbo's beard), that's saying something.

And Shaw didn't like it one bit.

"Dana White is a jack-off. Dana White is a f--ing idiot," Shaw said. "And you can quote me on that. If he cared about MMA, he would understand that. Comments like that make you look like a jerk. B.J.'s brother works for our company. If (Dana) wasn't an idiot, May 31 would be the UFC instead of us on CBS."

As of press time Thursday afternoon, White did not return calls for comment.

The debut of MMA on network television breaks new ground, but the bitter aftertaste of being beaten there is something Shaw no doubt is more than happy to remind White of. Yet Elite XC does not have a hit reality show, years of pay-per-view successes and the bulk of the game's best fighters on its roster -- all advantages the UFC and White would reflexively point to, and with good reason. Rome wasn't built in a day.

However, the larger issue is market dominance, something the UFC seemingly quelled with its purchase of Pride in 2007. Not unlike the dot.com phenomenon, suitors jump in when a buck can seemingly be made, and so far the Zuffa-owned corporation has kept pace with better offerings.

But unlike other rival promotions which have fizzled in recent months -- the much-hyped M-1 Global among them -- Shaw comes from a boxing background, where he quietly labored in the shadows of King and Arum, forever an underdog, financially outgunned, working the margins and fostering relationships to get his talent to the top level. He prospered despite this.

White, UFC and Zuffa have been the toughest guy in the neighborhood for a while, and for good reason. However, Shaw survived in a rougher one, longer than MMA has been around. In these personal attacks, both seem a little too quick to show how unintimidated they are. It's posturing for a confrontation both know might be inevitable, but neither wants to openly address.

Feb 7, 2006
Kimbo Slice responds to Dana White and Chuck Liddell

MMAyou.com had the pleasure of speaking with Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson as he prepares for his main-event bout with James “The Colossus” Thompson at “CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights” on May 31st (9PM-11PM ET/PT). Check out what Kimbo has to say regarding Dana White and Chuck Liddell, his upcoming fight with James Thompson, being on the cover of ESPN Magazine, and much more.

MMAyou.com: First, how are you doing?

Ferguson: I’m okay, I’m okay.

MMAyou.com: How’s training coming along?

Ferguson: Trainings going good, I can’t complain.

MMAyou.com: You’re set to face James Thompson next, give us your thoughts on the fight.

Ferguson: I can’t really predict anything, I’m not a psychic. I do know I train hard. I’m training with the best in the world; that’s Bas Rutten. All their fighters; Randy Khatami and these guys are preparing me to kick ass and take names and that’s what’s up with me.

MMAyou.com: You’ve gotten some criticism in the press from Dana White and Chuck Liddell. Do you have a message for Dana and Chuck?

Ferguson: Yeah, I love those guys. They’re great guys. I’m a big fan of the UFC. Chuck is one of my great fighters. I love watching him fight, I love his performances. I love what Dana White’s done for the sport man and if it wasn’t for those guys I wouldn’t be where I am today. I thank God for them and God bless them.

MMAyou.com: You’re on the cover of this month’s ESPN Magazine, what does that feel like?

Ferguson: I don’t let all that get to me. I mean sure, it’s really big time for me and it’s big for the sport. I thank God that I was in the right place at the right time. I guess I’m coming into the sport with a different style, a different flavor. And I’m hungry for it. I’m hungry for whatever. I don’t turn down no opponent. I’m willing to fight whoever wants to fight me. Being on the cover of ESPN man, it’s great for the sport. It shows that a guy who dedicates himself with great sacrifices and great commitment, and respects the game can do it. You can actually do it and become successful at it.

MMAyou.com: That’s awesome. Speaking of your opponents, are you fighting Mike Tyson next? There’s been rumors about it.

Ferguson: I don’t know about that dude. We’re gonna keep that one on the hush-hush.

MMAyou.com: (laughing) Alright. Is there anyone you’d like to face right now?

Ferguson: Nah, I’m just… I don’t want to call anyone out cause to me that’s kind of rude, you know? To just assume you’re gonna kick someone’s ass. You just gotta be prepared for a battle, you know what I‘m sayin? That’s what it’s all about. One on one. Two guys getting in there and it’s a real life chess game.

MMAyou.com: Where would you rank yourself in the worldwide heavyweight rankings?

Ferguson: I mean I’m… I dunno dude. There’s a lot of great heavyweights out there man. I’m a big fan of all those guys and it’s just so awesome to be in the midst of these guys, amongst them. We’re all from the same walk of life.

Everyone starts from somewhere and the ultimate goal is to eventually become king of that cage. To be on top with holding your hand up. And that’s what it’s about, you know? If I was ranking myself, you know, I don’t know. That’s not for me to decide.

MMAyou.com: What’s the difference between fighting in the street and fighting in the cage?

Ferguson: It’s a big difference. Street fighting you don’t even really need any training for it. Anybody can get in there and throw hands and knock someone out. But like I said what I brought that was different to the street fighting I guess was my style. My style of fighting with no training at all. I had a real unique style and that was with no training. Now I’m receiving training and I wanted to challenge myself. There’s really no comparison.

You just can’t compare street fighting to fighting MMA. MMA takes sacrifices, commitments, MMA is a way of life. When you represent the sport even when you’re not fighting, the way you walk around in the street, people will know any minute “That’s that guy who fights MMA”, and that‘s what it‘s about. When you’re a street fighter it doesn’t really even matter. You’re a street fighter. You still smoke your weed, you drink your drink, you have your cocktails often, and you can party and it don’t even matter. But when you’re fighting an MMA fighter you gotta have sacrifices and commitments and dedication to the cause.

MMAyou.com: You’re training right now with Bas, who’s a great legend. After seeing him and training with him do you think he should come out of retirement and challenge for some titles?

Ferguson: Oh man Bas can still kick ass to this day. I know he can and if he does I pretty much fully support one hundred percent, not that he would need my support, but Bas is the man! And he still hits hard! You know what I’m saying? He can still…. I mean, man! I mean sh**. Sh**! If he comes out of retirement it’s gonna be a problem for a lot of people.

MMAyou.com: In closing, is there anything you would like to say to your fans?

Ferguson: I thank them all for the love. Keep watching. I always keep my fights entertaining. I thank all my sponsorships. I thank all my trainers; Bas Rutten, Randy Khatami, Shawn Thompkins, for showing me how to throw hands and use my style. These guys have been in my corner since day one of my pro career and I thank God for them. I thank God for my fans. Even the ones with the negative criticism about me, I thank God for them too.

Feb 7, 2006
Jardine: History Means More Than Title Shot

If Keith Jardine (Pictures) is anything, he's a realist.

He knows who he is and who he isn't. He knows what he's out to accomplish. And he knows how he's gotten to where he is in mixed martial arts, with ultra-rare victories over Forrest Griffin (Pictures) and Chuck Liddell (Pictures) on his resume and a shot at Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) this Saturday at UFC 84 in Las Vegas.

"I've worked my own way up and I've gotten good fights because I'm an entertaining fighter, but they never intended me to win any of these fights," Jardine said of UFC matchmakers. "I'm kind of like the blue collar guy, and nobody really knows if I'm for real or not because I haven't had the big marketing machine behind me yet. Which is just fine by me."

Jardine is a curious breed, a cerebral, elusive, soft-spoken man who roars like mad with his fists and feet once the cage door shuts. He doesn't seek out attention, and worries about whether giving interviews too close to a fight will corrupt his focus. After all, he isn't thinking about a recent loss, or even a recent win, unless someone asks him about it.

"I'm a real simple guy," he said. "I keep a low profile, I like simple things. You know, coffee shops, reading books, watching movies. Big movie buff. That kind of thing. I don't need to be a superstar."

Jardine's father came from a family of miners, his mother from a family of loggers. He wrestled in high school and junior college in the San Fernando Valley, and eventually moved to New Mexico to finish up college. It was there he discovered submission grappling and linked with Albuquerque-based fight guru Greg Jackson. Jardine grew to love striking, and began noticing that another fighter, Wanderlei Silva, projected a manner and intensity similar to his. "The Axe Murderer" was making a mythical name for himself in Japan, and Jardine was impressed.

"Everybody thought he was the Mike Tyson of the sport for a while. Who could beat Wanderlei? He was killing everybody," Jardine said. "Just how intense he was and fierce he was and, more than anything, mentally strong. You never saw him break before. Even if things weren't going his way, he was fine and he would just keep coming back."

Things definitely weren't going Jardine's way last May when he crashed to the mat, his mouthpiece sent flying, at the losing end of a blitz from the unknown and since-discredited Houston Alexander (Pictures) at UFC 71. But Jardine scored the ultimate rebound, a jaw-dropping split decision win over Chuck Liddell. Though Jardine absorbed significant facial damage -- he was a dozen or so punches away from resembling The Toxic Avenger -- he dropped Liddell in the second round with a punch and continued the pressure for the rest of the fight, using leg and body kicks to great effect.

Greg Jackson remembers his charge feeling drained yet quietly satisfied with that September fight. He'd taken trademark shots from Liddell and came back to snatch victory. That meant it was time for the requisite all-night celebration on the strip, right?

That's just not Jardine's style.

"I think he was just tired that night. He fought hard," Jackson said. "My memories of that night is Keith kept saying, ‘I'm glad that's over. I'm tired.' The next day, he was a lot happier. The next day he was elated. It was great. Every time we win, especially against a legend like Chuck, it's something special. We were glad to have it happen."

Three months later, Jardine was glued to the screen like everyone else as the man he'd just defeated collided with Silva, the same fighter whose heart in the Pride rings Jardine had so admired. After one of the most spirited fights in UFC history, Liddell's hand was raised in decision, and suddenly it appeared that Jardine and Silva were on a collision course. And that Jardine just might beat him.

"(Silva's) fight with Liddell was I thought one of the best fights I've ever seen," Jardine said. "He had an incredible layoff. It was his first time in the Octagon. I'm sure he had the UFC jitters. I'm pretty sure we didn't see the best Wanderlei Silva that night. Here, his second fight with his back against the wall, I'm sure we're going to see the best possible Wanderlei Silva right now."

From the sounds of it, Jackson and Jardine have trained for the Silva that terrorized fighters like Quinton Jackson (Pictures) and Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures) at the turn of the decade. Though Silva has acknowledged he might be too small for his weight class and is also coming off three straight losses, he is as motivated as ever to take opponents' heads off. His aura remains. Vegas odds heavily favor Silva, even though he's coming off a loss to Liddell and Jardine is coming off a win over Liddell.

"The Chuck fight for me never existed. It's all about the next fight," said Jackson, who said Silva represents "a different math problem to solve" than Liddell did. "Silva's a very, very strong puncher, and he just fires off the one-two shots every time you get close to him. Nobody really fights like him."

It may not be possible to mimic Silva, but Jardine certainly brings the same hunger for the knockout.

"Every single punch he throws is a knockout punch, and they come from really weird angles. He's not a very orthodox boxer," Jardine said. "He just throws these punches coming from anywhere and any one of them can put you down. … I blew it against Houston, which is going to happen because that's the way I fight. I'm not a points fighter. I get hit more than most fighters because that's the way I like to fight, and I'm having fun doing that."

He really is having fun doing this, leaving the Octagon with a bloody face and purplish contusions.

"He loves the war," Jackson said. "He loves to be cut up and have bruises. I'm telling you its crazy, but the guy likes it. Some fighters, they love all the attention. Some fighters just love the war. Keith is one of those who just loves the war."

With the all-business persona he's developed, it's kind of funny to think that Jardine's entrée into the UFC was on a reality show characterized at the time by drunken hijinks and high school-esque smack talking. But for Jardine, who lost to now close friend Rashad Evans (Pictures) via decision on the show, it was competing as a heavyweight on season two of "The Ultimate Fighter" that crystallized the type of fighter he was going to be.

"I got a lesson real early on when I was on that show," Jardine said. "Once the cameras were on, people started to act differently and be somebody they weren't. That really turned me off, and ever since then I'm really cautious against that. I don't watch that reality show anymore. People were just trying to get their name out and get recognized. It works for some people, but it's just not me. People who like me like me because I'm just a simple, humble guy."

And, he hopes, because he's a "Mean" guy. Jardine recently launched a line of colorful "Mean" brand fight clothing and a Web site, www.meanstyle.com. He plans to wear his custom gear to the cage Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"It's different than what anybody's doing right now," Jardine said. "There's no skulls, there's no guns, there's no goblins, there's no things like that. It's just real simple, retro kind of looking, cool colors. I'm pretty proud of it. I sacrificed a lot of money actually for this fight just because I decided to wear my own shirt into the ring and see if this thing can fly or not. It's kind of stressful, too, because if you look at what I get paid and everything, I get paid a lot more in sponsorships than I do on my UFC contract."

That's Jardine, marching to his own beat. A lot of people tell him he should be bothered by the fact that he beat Forrest Griffin in the first round yet Griffin is fighting before him for the light heavyweight title, or that he should feel slighted that he wasn't asked to coach on the current season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

But Keith Jardine is a realist. He recognizes which opportunities are before him and which ones aren't, and he chooses to focus on the former.

"I got an opportunity here to string two wins together against the greatest fighters of all time," said Jardine, who is motivated by the fact that no fighter has wins over both Liddell and Silva on his record. "To me, that means more than a title. In the context of history, it's a lot greater than that. I understand the game. The UFC doesn't have anything invested in me. I didn't win the reality show. I'm a very expendable fighter for them. I understand that. People think I should be mad, but I'm pretty excited. In the context of history, this Silva fight seems like it means a lot more than a title fight."

Feb 7, 2006
Marcelo Garcia talks about his MMA future

Recently moved to Florida from New York , Marcelo Garcia is now focusing himself at the Mix Martial Arts. Garcia gave a exclusive interview to TATAME from the American Top Team train center and talked about the beginning at the MMA, and also about his future at the sport. "It was very good to have my MMA debut, I don’t have to regret. I had a huge cut at my head and but I was happy at the day before", said Marcelinho.

Even with a non expected defeat at his MMA debut, Garcia hopes to conquer the his fans, just like he did with his performances at the Jiu-Jitsu mat. “I want to reach the MMA public too, I want to be recognized also as a MMA fighter. That was my will, I wanted to take that next step in my career”, said Garcia.

Feb 7, 2006
God Of War Official Fight Card Announced - Monson vs. Randleman

The following is the official "Godz of War" fight card set to take place on June 21:
Jeff Monson (24-8) vs. Kevin Randleman (17-12)

Murilo Bustamante (14-7-1) vs. Josh Haynes (9-10)

Carmelo Marrero (7-2) vs. Nick Hinchliffe (8-1)

Phil Cardella (7-2) vs. Evan Dunham (5-0)

Milton Vieira (8-6-1) vs. Pat Healy (18-14)

Sergio Moraes (3-0) vs. Chris Clodfelter (2-5)

Lynn Alvarez (2-1) vs. Tessa Simpson

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Hamill And Clay Guida To Host MMA Camp

Premier Fighters Matt Hamill and Clay Guida in association with TUFNUTZ Sports and MMA Stop will be hosting an MMA Camp on June 14 and 15 at Harper College in Palatine, Il.
The camp is open to the public aged 12 and older at a cost of $200 dollars per person. Space is limited, so call 1-888-513-4448 to register or get further information.

Matt Hamill is a rising star in the UFC's light heavyweight division. He is a highly decorated wrestler. In addition to being a three-time NCAA National Champion, Hamill also won the gold and silver medals in 1997 and 2001 at the Deaflympics.

Clay Guida is one of the most exciting fighters in all of MMA. The Junior College National Champion has defeated a who's who of MMA competition including; Josh Thomson, Marcus Aurelio and Samy Schiavo.

Feb 7, 2006
Alexandre Pequeno Nogueira Arrives At ATT

The king of Shooto, Alexandre Pequeno Nogueira, arrived this Monday (12) at Miami (EUA), where he met his new teammates at American Top Team (ATT). “The trip was slack. I am very happy to be here. André Benkei (ATT coach) pecked me up at the airport and said that I was his best birthday gift. I was very well received by Ricardo Libório and I met all champions here”, said Pequeno, that though after a 12 hours fly didn’t resist at his new home structure and already trained.
“The structure here is excellent! I made a work with the Muay Thai coach of the team Mohamed Ouali, that is improving my stand up to the fight against José Aldo at WEC. He is simply the best Muay Thai coach of the world and he is with me and Benkei studying my opponent fights to make my strategy”, said the Luta-Livre black belt, that arrived at USA with his brother Leonardo Nogueira.

Feb 7, 2006
Potential Olympians "Fuel the Dream" With a Chance at MMA in Their Future

One of the key disciplines in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts has always been amateur wrestling. From Iowa grapplers like Pat Miletich to collegiate champions like Dan Henderson and Kevin Jackson, the amateur wrestling world has been a great seeding ground for the sport, especially for those who can learn the standup game. Now, with the explosion of money into MMA, the best of those great elite wrestlers who can adapt can find a home as a professional athlete, a clear payoff for the first time for these well conditioned, well trained athletes that never existed before.

However the road to Olympic success for amateur wrestlers can be a long one, so that natural jump-off point when their amateur career is finished is not always a clean one, let alone a lucrative one. Those struggles for financial success came to light again this week, when USA Wrestling, the National Governing Body for the sport, announced a landmark fundraising program called “Fuel The Dream,” which will attempt to alleviate the financial hardship on athlete families who have to pay their own way to Beijing to see these elite athletes compete for Olympic glory. “Fuel The Dream” can in turn make that path to glory just a little easier as the athletes finish the amateur phase and potentially move on to the professional competition and training of MMA.

It is in the finishing of that road where many of the top amateur wrestling instructors of the past have had issues with the lure of MMA. However those roads are starting to straighten, with one of wrestling’s loudest voices and legendary performers speaking positively about the MMA world. Oklahoma State coach and former Olympian and national champion John Smith, who is widely regarded as the greatest American wrestler to ever hit the mats, shared his favorable viewpoints on the effects that Mixed Martial Arts is having on amateur wrestling as he married the “Fuel The Dream” plan with the path elite athletes can take to the professional ranks.

“I think that what groups like the IFL and others have done for amateur wrestling, when the Olympic dream is finished, has been really good,” Smith said. “It gives some of our best athletes the chance to be professionals where there was no chance before, so I have no problem with that. The problem lies with guys who don’t finish out the once in a lifetime opportunity and cut corners to try and make the jump. If guys go as far as they can go and experience Olympic and international competition and then move on to MMA that’s great for them.

“The international aspect will actually prepare them for the professional side much better than the college side. We are seeing that more and more. It’s the guys who shortchange that goal who move on too fast that hurt both sports, and that’s what we want to try and avoid. I am sure you will see guys come out of Beijing and then move on to MMA and do well. That’s the good part of the process. The ones who left early are the problem ones.”

Smith also indicated, in a sidebar, that fighters such as Johnny Hendricks and Jake Rosholt might be more successful in MMA if they had furthered their wrestling careers in international competition before making the jump. He suggested that they hadn’t fully matured yet and that wrestling had more to offer them.

His comments are not unfounded. Matt Lindland, for example, who earned Olympic Silver in Greco Roman wrestling before moving on to MMA, is one of most successful –financially as well as athletically— competitors to ever enter the MMA ring. After his Olympic run Lindland took on, and defeated, some of the toughest fighters on the planet, establishing him as one of the most dominant middleweights in history. Achieving all he could as an individual athlete, he gathered with former Olympic teammates Dan Henderson and Randy Couture to build Team Quest. There, he mentored many of the sport’s new stars, including the International Fight League’s current lightweight champion Ryan Schultz.

As well as the heroes of the past, wrestling may also be the breeding ground for tomorrow’s stars.

Steve Mocco is perhaps the United States’ best chance at Gold this year in Beijing, and could become one of the future celebrities of MMA. He was clear that his current focus is on representing the U.S. at the Games, but did not dismiss the prospect of entering MMA competition after his Olympic dreams are realized. He admitted to an interest in the idea of being paid to compete, and his experience in international competition, according to Smith, offers a one-up on other MMA figures.

He’s already achieved a certain level of celebrity through wrestling, and with the help of the hype-machine that has been fueling MMA behind him, Mocco could be poised to put his own brand of hurt on the MMA industry very soon.

To learn more about supporting “Fuel the Dream” visit www.fuelthedream.org

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Alexandre Pequeno Nogueira Arrives At ATT

The king of Shooto, Alexandre Pequeno Nogueira, arrived this Monday (12) at Miami (EUA), where he met his new teammates at American Top Team (ATT). “The trip was slack. I am very happy to be here. André Benkei (ATT coach) pecked me up at the airport and said that I was his best birthday gift. I was very well received by Ricardo Libório and I met all champions here”, said Pequeno, that though after a 12 hours fly didn’t resist at his new home structure and already trained.
“The structure here is excellent! I made a work with the Muay Thai coach of the team Mohamed Ouali, that is improving my stand up to the fight against José Aldo at WEC. He is simply the best Muay Thai coach of the world and he is with me and Benkei studying my opponent fights to make my strategy”, said the Luta-Livre black belt, that arrived at USA with his brother Leonardo Nogueira.
this article was already posted.

lol sorry just lightening the mood.

Can't believe Coleman blew his knee out. If Shane Carwin wins this weekend I'd like to see him be the replacement against Brock. A huge test for the both of them that could be a contender matchup for the belt after Nog-Mir if ufc doesn't resign Arlovski

Feb 7, 2006
this article was already posted.

lol sorry just lightening the mood.

Can't believe Coleman blew his knee out. If Shane Carwin wins this weekend I'd like to see him be the replacement against Brock. A huge test for the both of them that could be a contender matchup for the belt after Nog-Mir if ufc doesn't resign Arlovski
my bad for the double post

Feb 7, 2006
BJ PENN TALKS UFC 84 TITLE BOUT WITH SHERK

B.J. Penn steps into the Octagon at UFC 84 to face former titleholder Sean Sherk with the intention of defending his Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight title for the first time. With his new dedication to training, Penn is optimistic about his chances and expects to finish the "Muscle Shark."

Many are billing the Penn vs. Sherk title match as the biggest lightweight fight in mixed martial arts history, and Penn agrees. "I think this is, without a doubt, the biggest lightweight fight of all time," said the Hawaiian. "I mean, I can't sit here and think of any fight that would be bigger, or even come close actually. This has got to be the biggest lightweight fight of all time. Nothing can even compare to it when it comes to lightweights.

"It's going to be good. I trained hard. I prepared myself the best I can. I'm excited to get in there and show everybody what I can do. It's been a long time for this fight to happen. Me and Sherk probably should have got together earlier, but now is a good time."

Sherk was stripped of the UFC lightweight belt when he tested positive for the steroid Nandrolone following his first title defense when he faced Hermes Franca at UFC 73 in July of last year. Penn gained the vacant lightweight championship by defeating Joe Stevenson at UFC 80 in January.

Penn has been outspoken about steroid use in MMA, proclaiming, “Every time I run into one of those people that I believe are on steroids, blood-doping, growth hormones, or doing all these things, I will mention it and I will bring it up. So every single one of them, be ready because I'm going to come and let everybody know that I believe you're on steroids. Then I'm going to beat the (expletive) out of them."

He has singled out Sherk in particular for much of his banter on the subject. Sherk took those comments personally and the war of words between the two has gone on for several months.

Asked if the animosity between the two helped motivate him for the fight, Penn stated, "There's really no animosity from my side. I mean, he's just getting pissed off for me pointing out the obvious, but I'm up to it. I like a little tension in there. And if he says things are personal, well, then it is. Let's go. Let's do this."

The biggest question surrounding Penn heading into the bout with Sherk, who is know for his conditioning, is whether or not he will be able to maintain the furious pace Sherk historically displays.

"It's good that it's been brought up so much in the past because it really made me get my butt into gear and really start training hard and start doing everything right," commented Penn. "But everybody's got to remember too that they can not confuse hard work cardio for blood-doping and steroid type cardio. They're two different things."

Sherk has been wrestling since he was seven-years-old and has shown the ability to take down nearly every opponent he's faced. Questioned how his wrestling skills stack up against Sherk's, Penn answered, "I think I'm going to do well. I think I'm going to surprise a lot of people. I think I'm going to be able to stop a lot of his takedowns. And if I get a good takedown, I'll be able to put him on his back. When it comes to wrestling, I think he's going to be surprised when we get in there."

Penn brought wrestlers in to his Hawaiian training champ to help him prepare for Sherk and has been sparring with local boxers. "You've got to be crazy to look past Sean Sherk," said the UFC lightweight champion.

"I'm coming in, I'm in great shape. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to fight into the fifth round because this is the Ultimate Fighting Championship. You go out there and you fight from the first minute. What can be done in the fifth round can be done in the first round, so just go out there and fight.”

He continued, "I don't know what Sean's going to do. All I know is I'm going to run across the ring and try to kick his ass. I go in there and give the fans what they want, and that's what I want. I want to be in a fight. I'm not thinking about what three other people sitting outside of the ring trying to say who won the fight. I want to show everybody who won the fight. It's not up to three judges sitting outside of the ring who weren't in the fight to decide who won.

"When I step in the Octagon with Sean Sherk, I'm going to run across the ring and just start hitting him until he falls down, and then I'm going to choke his neck and walk out with the belt."

Feb 7, 2006
Marcus Davis: On the road to UFC 85 Mike Swick fight (Part II)

Hey everyone I’m back.

I just finished the last 24 days of training camp at Sit Yod Tong with Mark Dellagrotte to prepare for my upcoming fight with Mike Swick at UFC 85: “Bedlam” at the O2 Arena in London, England, on June 7.

Going in to camp I tipped the scales at 190 pounds. I am currently moving between 182 to 179 depending on the time of day. I got loads of sparring in and worked a lot with my teammates Jorge Rivera and Keith Florian. I also did strength sessions with Kevin Kerns and boxing with my old boxing coach, Joe Lake.

Between MMA, boxing, grappling, plyometrics and weight training I found myself doing three to four sessions a day. I only took time to eat, sleep and train … seriously.

I’m currently back home and I’m tapering off and training at my gym — Team Irish MMA — in Bangor, Maine.

Mark Dellagrotte has come up with a great plan again and it’s just up to me to execute it on June 7th. You will see the strongest, fastest Marcus Davis yet. All and any support is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

–Marcus

“A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood …” — General S. Patton

Marcus Davis is a top welterweight contender in the loaded UFC 170-pound division. The former professional boxer is perhaps the most improved mixed martial artist ever to emerge from the TUF series, compiling a gaudy record inside the Octagon (6-1) since the show wrapped in 2005. He is currently riding an 11-fight win streak, which he will put on the line against Mike Swick at UFC 85: “Bedlam” at the O2 Arena in London, England, on June 7. He’ll detail his preparation for the bout right here at MMAmania.com with frequent updates. To check out more from Marcus at MMAmania.com click here. His sponsors include Zappos.com and MMAWarehouse.com.

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshida, Nakamura Step onto Big Stage at UFC 84

Yoshiyuki Yoshida (Pictures) will finally get his wish when he steps onto the big stage, in the big cage.

This Saturday, the former Japanese national judo team member will make his stateside debut when he takes on "The Ultimate Fighter 6" alumni Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver on the undercard of the UFC's star-laden bill at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. More importantly, he may be bringing a set of tools more equipped for the cage than other Japanese competitors before him.

Although a bit older than your average prospect, the 34-year-old Yoshida had a breakout year in 2007. Initially considered an also-ran in Greatest Common Multiple's Cage Force welterweight tournament, Yoshida immediately grabbed attention when he crushed then welterweight King of Pancrase Katsuya Inoue (Pictures) in hockey-fighting fashion in under two minutes. However, Yoshida really opened the eyes of onlookers in September, when he ran roughshod over prohibitive tournament favorite and former Shooto world champion Akira Kikuchi (Pictures), halting Kikuchi in the first round with a vicious salvo of elbows in a massive upset.

Although Yoshida captured the tournament in less-than-stellar fashion, winning in the finals over Dan Hardy (Pictures) via an unceremonious disqualification due to an errant kick to the groin, Yoshida's hype was still teeming. As a result, many fans in-the-know were considerably excited when news broke of Yoshida signing a four-fight deal with the UFC this past January.

While Yoshida's eight-fight win streak and the names contained in it are validating enough, much of the interest surrounding his UFC debut comes from his cage savvy. Many international fighters, especially Japanese fighters, have struggled to grasp the nuances of the unified rules find success in the cage when making the jump into the Octagon. However, Yoshida may be the greatest success story of GCM's Cage Force initiative, which seeks to prepare and ready international fighters for the rigors of the cage. "Zenko" has shown the ability to adapt his grappling skills to the cage, dominating in the clinch, and utilizing devastating elbows in a fashion unusual from Japanese fighters with little experience in the cage.

What is more, Yoshida has perfected his cage-friendly tactics without actually training in a cage. Splitting his time between Yoshida Dojo alongside Hidehiko Yoshida (Pictures), Kazuhiro Nakamura (Pictures), Ryo Chonan (Pictures), and Tokyo Yellow Mans under the tutelage of Shooto legend Noboru Asahi, Yoshida is forced to use only the matted walls to replicate the cage.

Koppenhaver last saw action in December, when he came from behind to best fellow TUF 6 alum Jared Rollins (Pictures) in their action-packed bloodbath. More recently, Koppenhaver has been embattled with legal troubles. "War Machine" was sentenced to 30 days of community service and three years probation following an incident in which he choked and punched a man outside his gym in December, after having his felony assault charges reduced to a misdemeanor.

The aforementioned Kazuhiro Nakamura (Pictures) will also be in action on the undercard of Saturday's Sherk-Penn showdown, taking on Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (Pictures) in a seemingly must-win light heavyweight contest.

Nakamura, 29, had a rough go of things in his UFC debut last September. The star pupil of Hidehiko Yoshida (Pictures) was beaten soundly for fifteen minutes by Lyoto Machida (Pictures) en route to a unanimous decision loss. To add insult to injury, Nakamura was suspended for three months by the California Athletic Commission after testing positive for marijuana following the bout.

The 24-year-old Sokoudjou burst into the MMA consciousness on the strength of his upsets over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures) and Ricardo Arona (Pictures) in Pride's final days. However, "The African Assassin" was brought back to reality in December where he, like Nakamura, was blown out by Machida, losing via second-round submission at UFC 79.

Feb 7, 2006
Gomi Good To Go For August Sengoku

Star lightweight Takanori Gomi (Pictures) will officially make his return to action on August 24 at World Victory Road's fourth Sengoku card at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

It was originally thought that Gomi would make his return to the ring next month as part of WVR's third Sengoku card, after the former Shooto and Pride champion told the Japanese media in March that he expected to be back for the June 8 bill.

Interestingly, WVR public relations officer Takahiro Kuniyasu remarked following May 18's Sengoku card that the promotion's brass were contemplating an eight-man lightweight tournament for the August 24 card. Although details of the proposed tournament bracket were scant, Kuniyasu did state that the theme for the tournament would be "The Road to Gomi," with the tournament champion facing Gomi for the inaugural Sengoku lightweight championship in late 2008. Kuniyasu already named Eiji Mitsuoka (Pictures) and Satoru Kitaoka (Pictures) as likely competitors if the tournament materializes, with each coming off impressive first-round victories on the May 18 bill.

After a year on the sidelines following Zuffa's buyout of Pride, Gomi returned to action in March for Sengoku's debut offering, where he stopped Duane "Bang" Ludwig in the first round on a bloody doctor's stoppage.

Jul 24, 2005
NICK THOMPSON: "IT WOULD BE THE EASIEST MONEY I WOULD MAKE THIS YEAR"

"I'll make him a deal. He was saying that kung fu artists don't fight in the UFC because their Eagle Claw isn't allowed because he can crush bones with it, or some nonsense like that, so I offered to make a deal. We can start the fight with him having his bone crushing grip locked on," stated Nick Thompson as he talked about his ongoing feud with "Iron Ring" coach Novell G. Bell. Check out what else he had to say about Bell, his June 8th clash with Michael Costa, his thoughts on Penn-Sherk, Carano-Young and much more. read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2679.html?PHPSESSID=697f6e00942c0995f5ddb330c8481ca4

Jul 24, 2005
DREAM SECOND ROUND MIDDLEWEIGHT PAIRINGS

I don't kknow if this has been posted already

Friday, May 23, 2008 - by MMAWeekly.com Staff

Dream announced four bouts for DREAM.4, which takes place on June 15 at the Saitama Super Arena. All four bouts announced are quarterfinal bouts for the DREAM Middleweight Grand Prix.

Japanese legend Kazushi Sakuraba faces off with Dutch striker Melvin Manhoef. Manhoef replaces Kiyoshi Tamura, who was forced to pull out of the tournament due to a broken finger sustained in his stoppage victory over Masakatsu Funaki at DREAM.2. Sakuraba comes off a submission victory over Andrews Nakahara at DREAM.2, while Manhoef stopped Dae Won Kim with strikes at DREAM.3.

In a battle of grapplers, eccentric American Jason “Mayhem” Miller takes on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. Miller comes off a dismantling victory over Katsuyori Shibata at DREAM.3, while Jacare submitted newcomer Ian Murphy at DREAM.2.

Armenian wunderkind Gegard Mousasi takes on Korean judoka Dong Sik Yoon. Mousasi comes off a surprising submission victory over Denis Kang at DREAM.2, while Yoon won a decision over Shungo Oyama at the same show.

In a rematch of a controversial fight, Croatian striker Zelg Galesic faces off with K-1 veteran Taiei Kin. These two met at K-1 Hero’s Korea 2007 with Galesic winning a controversial cut stoppage only seconds into the fight. Galesic comes off a submission victory over Magomed Sultanakhmedov at DREAM.2, while Kin won a decision over Ikuhisa Minowa at the same show.

Previously announced for DREAM.4 was the last quarterfinal match-up of the DREAM Lightweight Grand Prix, between grappling wizard Shinya Aoki and 2004 Olympic wrestling silver medalist Katsuhiko Nagata.

DREAM Middleweight Grand Prix Bouts
-Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Melvin Manhoef
-Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza
-Gegard Mousasi vs. Dong Sik Yoon
-Zelg Galesic vs. Taiei Kin

DREAM Lightweight Grand Prix Bout
-Shinya Aoki vs. Katsuhiko Nagata

Jul 24, 2005
WANDERLEI CONSIDERING 185, WOULD FIGHT ANDERSON

Friday, May 23, 2008 - by Jeff Cain

Former Pride middleweight champion and UFC light heavyweight fighter Wanderlei Silva is considering a move to the 185-pound division after his UFC 84 bout with Keith Jardine.

Silva made his return to the Octagon at UFC 79 against Chuck Liddell after an eight-year hiatus from the American organization. He will face Jardine on Saturday night in an attempt to get back on the winning track after suffering three losses in a row for the first time in his storied career.

Although predicting a knockout victory over Jardine, Silva is still considering a move down to the 185-pound division following his UFC 84 match-up.

"Maybe it's possible after this fight to fight at 185," said Silva. "The guys in my division are much tall, and it's hard. The guys are stronger, but I've fought in the division many times, many years. Here, the guys are much stronger. Maybe I'm going to fight next time at 185. I don't know. As long as they have good opponents for me at 185 too, maybe next time I go down. I don't know."

Silva expressed the desire to stay at 205 and fight UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson for a third time and a rematch with Chuck Liddell, but when asked about a possible match with fellow Brazilian Anderson Silva, the long-time Pride champion said, "It's hard to go down and fight the champion. I need to fight other guys first. I trained with him a long time ago. We are friends, but a job is a job and friends are friends. In the future maybe it's possible to fight with him."