Messy Marv in Reno

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
When I was stationed in Petaluma, he had a show with Xzibit at the Phoenix. This was when Still Explosive dropped. He was supposed to get way more than he did for the show and when the promoter gave him 5k, Messy said something along the lines of, look mayn I don't need your little $5k, give me my money. When the dude says they didn't bring in that much for the show, he said it again and took that $5k and shoved it in the promoter's mouth and left without taking any money for it. I didn't see this first hand, but the promoter was the one that told me that story so it had a lot more credibility. Dude was shaking in his sketchers.
And I think he was promised a lot more than that, like 30k. There was probably anywhere from like 500-1500 people there (hard to gauge at that place and I was all the way in the front) at $30 a ticket (gen. admission) and I'm sure Xzibit was getting more than Mess. Small time promoters don't know what they were doing man.

I don't have too much knowledge on this, but after talking to some people at Clear Channel before (my nephew was dating a girl there) an unknown act (meaning no song on the radio / regional artist) is $50 to $100 per show. A semi known / breaking artist (meaning has a song on the radio in rotation) is $500 per show (depends on the the buzz of the song.) The headliner varies and all is negotiable, but a lot of unknown / underground artist are seriously getting over on these wannabe, half ass promoters.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I guess one of the things was, Messy kept saying that people were really there to see him and not Xzibit. Which was true for me, but Mess was barely coming back in the bay around that time and Still Explosive had a little bit of a buzz down in Watsonville and Petaluma but nothing crazy. I didn't really care about Xzibit being there but he put on a decent show. I normally think rap shows but Mess was solid out there. But obviously, most of the people weren't there to see Mess. A dude from his crew handed me a cd as they were leaving which was cool, but honestly I don't think anyone around me up in the front of the crowd even knew who the hell he was to be honest.

Props: 360_541
Jul 12, 2002
If thats true then i dont get why mess is gettin clowned so bad on here for it? I mean if u put ur opinions on mess aside u got: one small dude vs. 8 niggas wit a big ass dirty harry pistol.

Idk about the circumstances, but in general: gettin your ass whooped by 8 dudes wit a strap, that alone dont make u a bitch.. I dont care who u are if u were in that situation then its not up to you what happens if niggas want your chain, watch, shoes, or even pants, then they no longer belong to you and thats that
People are making fun of him because he pulled a super shady move on the wrong people and paid for it. 8 vs. 1 is irrelevant here because this wasn't about "catching a fade" it was about payback.

I'm glad he didn't get shot or seriously hurt, and truly hope this humbles him and he learns his lesson. He needs to man up and apologize for it or provide a damn good explanation for why he was a no-show or else nobody else is gonna wanna book him for shows after this.

Jul 12, 2002
When I was stationed in Petaluma, he had a show with Xzibit at the Phoenix. This was when Still Explosive dropped. He was supposed to get way more than he did for the show and when the promoter gave him 5k, Messy said something along the lines of, look mayn I don't need your little $5k, give me my money. When the dude says they didn't bring in that much for the show, he said it again and took that $5k and shoved it in the promoter's mouth and left without taking any money for it. I didn't see this first hand, but the promoter was the one that told me that story so it had a lot more credibility. Dude was shaking in his sketchers.
I bet the promoter was full of shit and lied to you about how much he gave him. I've seen it happen tons of times at shows I've done. The promoters always bank on there being a bunch of sales at the door and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, they might not have the money promised to the artist, and the artist won't take the stage until the money is in their possession. When an artist is "late" for a show a lot of the time they're actually there already, sitting in the dressing room waiting for the promoter to come up with their money lol.

If there were only 500-1500 people they probably were more worried Xzibit got paid what he was promised so they shorted the opener (Marv).