marty gone...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
im glad to see the chargers come to their senses and fired marty

whats the availability of cowher? would the bolts have to pay off the steelers? the 3-4 is already in place and the offense is set.

Sep 17, 2005
AC Transit said:
im glad to see the chargers come to their sense and fire marty

whats the availability of cowher? would the bolts have to pay off the steelers? the 3-4 is already in place and the offense is set.
Yup the Steelers won't be havin that. They would have to give up a couple draft picks to get Cowher since he "retired" while still under contract.

May 2, 2002
This was a STUPID MOVE!

Marty is a great coach. Chargers haven't done squat in how long? And now you want to get rid of the coach that turned the team around?

Cowher won't go there cause him and Marty are good friends. They coached together in Cleveland.

Seems like Marty is getting a raw deal...I wonder what happened between him and the GM.

Apr 19, 2005
I think they are going to get someone outside the organization. As far as saying cameron isn't a good coach well he was the one running this offense no marty

Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
Let me shed some light on this for those who aint up on game:

Bottom line is that Marty got fired because of his relationship with AJ Smith, the GM.this started around 2003,and theyve had ongoing problems.it had nothing to do with Marty's loss to the patriots.Once Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips left,Marty wanted to bring in some of his people who he felt were the best people for the job.AJ didnt agree with that.so Dean Spanos made a difficult decesion to let Marty go,because it's hard enough to win a Super bowl when everybody's on the SAME page.Like i said this has been on ongoing problem with AJ and Marty

now do i think it was the best move for the organization??

Marty does have a horrible track records in the playoffs,although we did have the best record in the NFL last season.Kinda sucks for marty,I mean you put up 14 wins in the reg season and u get fired,that's hella weak.on one hand you gotta a coach who can win in the reg season but it doesnt mean a Dam thing if you cant turn that into at least a super bowl appearance.i dont know man i guess well see what happens,like Rasan said RIP Marty ball.

Mar 16, 2005
ok you guys are saying rip martyball...but that was gone this year. He didn't play with the same rules he used to so martyball was dead during this season, and noone complained.

May 2, 2002
So basically the team chose Smith over Marty. Guess we'll find out if that was the right move.

As for Marty in the playoffs...all of those losses were prettly close. The Drive, Fumble, field goal here...field goal there.

Seems more like bad luck than anything else.

May 15, 2002
people didnt like when they let dungy go from tampa, but gruden came in and won them a tiltle. I equate this situation to that one. They feel marty doesnt have what it takes to win them a title. And please save all that "well look what dungy gig this year" cause i don't give a fuck.

Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
thascary1 said:
ok you guys are saying rip martyball...but that was gone this year. He didn't play with the same rules he used to so martyball was dead during this season, and noone complained.

Im not saying rip marty ball as a diss to Marty homie,didnt mean it that way.Marty ball went dead after that ravens loss,so it's been dead from early in the season, so now it's just official

I like Marty as a coach I think he did a good job with the Chargers,he turned the program around and made hella progess when he was here.Do I think he was the one to take us to the bowl?maybe maybe not.Like someone said earlier only time will tell but AJ Smith has had a good track record on making good decesions for the organization so will see what happens.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
gimpypimp said:
So basically the team chose Smith over Marty.
yes thats what happend... smith has built a great roster since he has been here and wasnt about to be let go. him and marty have bunted heads over all kinds of shit from drew brees to donnie edwards, they just didnt get along. i must admit that most of the animosity is smiths fault, he is a ego maniac and he refused to talk to marty for the last three years. when marty gave all his assistants permission to seek employement elsewhere that pretty much broke the camels back. Marty, Smith and Spanos(owner) had a meeting about what to do with the d coordinator spot. smith wanted Ted Cotrell and Marty wanted his brother.....that was the end of that.

As far as candidates Ron Rivera is on his way to SD right now, I also hear they will be going after Rex Ryan the d.c. of the Baltimore Ravens. No big name will be brought here, they are still paying marty 4mil this season plus most big names want full control and with aj smith at gm that aint gonna happen

Apr 19, 2005
I just read on the front of the sports page parcells was listed as a potential canidate but I highly doubt that he wants too much power and a.j. Smith won't have none of that

Jan 9, 2004
koncept1 said:
I just read on the front of the sports page parcells was listed as a potential canidate but I highly doubt that he wants too much power and a.j. Smith won't have none of that

that's the thing, who ever they bring in will have to be Smith's little bitch.

Jan 2, 2004
That's going to hurt them, too.. A GM who has had trouble with coaches doesn't ever reflect good on a team who is looking to hire a new coach.. In any sport.

I still think it doesn't make any sense to fire a coach after you lose the assistants.. If you were going to fire him, should've fired him earlier... I know they said they fired him because he didn't keep his assistants in place, but that's stupid as well, if the assistants can get better jobs, then why not let them? Don't make them stay as an assistant when they can be head coach, I'm not sure if you even can do that.

Should've fired him right after the season, and hired one of the two assistants that left.