marty gone...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 9, 2006
if "coaching is overrated" like so many say.....we will see next year how the chargers do......they were the best team last season and now they are without there....HC......DC....OC......crazyness

Apr 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
...it's crazy but look at the bigger picture... The Chargers got a young squad that will play together 5 or 6 seasons... Everybody knew Marty was on his way out. The question is "Who will be the next coaching staff?"

Apr 19, 2005
If cameron and phillips would have stayed here then marty wouldn't have gotten fired but since they left and he doesn't get along with our gm they decided to get rid of him. Just hoped this would have happebed sooner go chargers

MAVA

Sicc OG
Jul 18, 2005
www.gifsoup.com
Chargers cant get a break

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a home playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer. The coach had a year left on his contract and will be owed more than $3 million.

"When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact," Spanos said in a statement. "Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager.

"In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment."

Schottenheimer didn't immediately return messages left on his office and cell phones.

"This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team," Spanos said. "But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure.

"On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all."

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday, following offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and two other assistants out of town for better jobs.

Although Schottenheimer said last week that change was inevitable, Smith sounded concerned, saying, "Both in the same year - Wow."

Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski became Cleveland's offensive coordinator, and linebackers coach Greg Manusky was hired as San Francisco's defensive coordinator.

Running backs coach Clarence Shelmon, who's never been a coordinator, was promoted to replace Cameron. Shelmon accepted only a one-year contract due to what had been Schottenheimer's lame-duck status.

Three days after the 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Schottenheimer declined the team's offer of a $4.5 million, one-year extension through 2008, which came with a club-option $1 million buyout. Spanos and Smith seemed visibly angry that the coach turned them down.

Schottenheimer has been at odds with Smith since the 2005 season, apparently over personnel decisions by the GM.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

His 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth straight in the postseason dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

He was 47-33 in five seasons with the Chargers, including 35 wins and two AFC West titles in the last three seasons.

Led by league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers were thought by many to be Super Bowl-caliber. But they had four turnovers and made numerous other mistakes in losing to the Patriots, their first defeat at home in the 2006 season.

Speculation grew following the loss that Schottenheimer might be fired, due in part to the front office's expectations of a deep playoff run and his icy relationship with Smith.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6466224?MSNHPHMA

Jan 2, 2004
I wouldn't think this was the plan all along or anything. I'm sure they would've liked to have had the chance to promote one of there coordinators to head coach.

A dumb move.. The dude took you to a 14-2 record.. Last time you made it as far as you did, you got rid of your coach at that time too, and you hadn't done anything until this year...

I guess they don't learn from mistakes.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
i think the chargers had no choice at this point...we lost our coordinators and we are looking to spend money in free agency. who wants to come into a lame duck situation? coaches and players both, marty has one year here then he's gone.if you were an assistant coach would you go somewhere knowing damn well you'll be fired at the end of the year?

Nov 7, 2006
xpanther206 said:
Seriously!

I wonder if that has ever happened with a playoff team in the modern era?
the pats lost they OC and DC and that happened after winning a superbowl. but we didnt lose the headcoach thats fuckin nuts lol feel bad for SD

Jan 2, 2004
mrrocnron said:
^^^
aaahhh. But they do... They're showin it now. If the Chargers would have played Marty ball all season, they wouldn't have went 14-2. Marty even said it was inevitable. A change wasa comin ms daisy....
The best team in the league rarely wins the Super Bowl.. Its not like basketball and baseball where you get a best of seven series to decide everything.. One bad game and you're out... Chargers had one bad game..

Before Schottenheim had gotten there they hadn't made the Playoffs since they got rid of Bobby Ross.. Now they're making the same mistake again.

Firing a guy after a 14-2 season is really stupid.. Especially this late... They should've done it right after the season that way they could actually get a coach that isn't a reject from another staff.. They waited too long and they lost people from there staff that could've been good replacements.. Completely retarded.. In three years you guys will be blaming your GM because he couldn't get along with a coach who did better for the chargers than they have done except fro once. Who they gonna hire Norv Turner? You honestly believe somebody like Turner is better than Schottenheimer?

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
some of you guys are killing me......first off, yeah we had some good seasons with marty but then again look at the roster we had with him and the roster we had without him.....also he wouldnt have been fired if his staff was still here so when you guys say they shouldve done it right away, thats stupid. he told the owner his staff was staying in place, then he gave them all permission to talk to other teams, now they're all gone...he sunk his own ship, they chargers have no choice now....its a shame but its not the end of the world either.

and you got other candidates besides norv turner, profootballtalk is reporting a deal with pete caroll, probably not likely but it lists other candidates as well;

CARROLL ALREADY A DONE DEAL?

Early speculation in some league circles is that the Chargers already have a wink-nod deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll to succeed Marty Schottenheimer.

Consider the evidence.

After it was announced that Schottenheimer would return to the Chargers, John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com reported that the Chargers would have cut Schottenheimer loose if they could have lined up the guy that they wanted to take his place. Czar didn't name the mystery candidate, but our guess was/is that it is/was Carroll.

Four weeks later, Carroll was able to lock up another class of recruits, who signed their letters of intent on February 7.

Also, remember how Steve Sarkisian abruptly pulled out of the running to coach the Raiders? He said at the time that he wants to be a head coach at the college level, prompting speculation that he'd been given a wink-nod of his own that, if/when Carroll leaves, Sark gets the Trojans' gig.

And that might have prompted USC co-offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin to look elsewhere so soon after Sarkisian said "no thanks" to the Raiders.

Then there's the looming Reggie Bush mess, which could eventually cause serious problems for USC. But it's generally accepted at the college level that the NCAA doesn't come down as hard on a program if the coach who presided over the mess is gone when the poop hits the propeller.

If the Chargers didn't have a damn good idea who they'd be hiring before firing Schottenheimer so close to the scouting combine and the onset of free agency, then they're just plain stoopid. How in the world can an NFL franchise commence the process of shaping their roster for 2007 without the benefit of knowing who the head coach will be, and what systems he will run?

Still, if the Chargers don't already have an officially unofficial deal in place with Carroll, the other possibilities are intriguing.

How about Jon Gruden? We heard last month that his situation in Tampa is not fully resolved, and the Chargers are just close enough to the top of the mountain to benefit from the short-term jolt he can bring to the table.

Or Ron Rivera? The Bears' defensive coordinator is a California native, and is almost certain to get an interview under the Rooney Rule.

Ditto for 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary. He is widely respected in league circles, and many believe it's only a matter of time before he becomes a head coach.

Other possible candidates (in our view) include Chargers receivers coach James Lofton, former Chargers tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski, former Chargers linebackers coach Greg Manusky, Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman, former Cardinals coach Dennis Green, and former Giants coach Jim Fassel.

Here's a curve ball -- former Chiefs, Rams, and Eagles coach Dick Vermeil. Sure, he's "retired." But we think the lure of taking a 14-2 team to the next level could be enough to coax him to come back

ArYo

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2002
They ain't done shit since Stan Humphries....hahaha juss playin I got love for the Chargers they my 2nd fav. And I doubt they can sign Turner cuze he just signed an extension with the 49ers, which was great for us.

Apr 19, 2005
^^^^^^ I agree with what u are saying but when I said that I wish it had been done earlier is cause I personally would have like cam cameron as our head coach. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the coordinator from the bears so I guess martyball is really dead in dago
The gm has a hell of an eye for talent so we gonna get someone good

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
cam cameron?his head coaching track record at Indiana is horrible.I know that's college,and a U that has'nt had a good program since I been around,but we're talkin about a premier location,with the best player in the NFL.They might want to talk to old Petey in L.A. since USC is gettin horrible press.