LUPE FIASCO : LASERS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2006
Why does the fact that he has good lyrics have to excuse the other fact that the music is unlistenable? I am not asking for beats that don't need great lyrics to make a good song the way Lex Luger beats are making subpar MCs sound good, all I am asking for is beats that don't make my brain explode when I try to listen to them. Is it so hard to pick something that doesn't scream "I'm gay!"???

Odd Future is a great example of how you do that - while Tyler has made some truly amazing beats, others, like that Earl video for example which doesn't really have much of a beat to begin with, have something really simple that you most likely wouldn't ever want to listen to without the verses. But it sounds dope because the verses are dope and the beat doesn't kill them even though it is on the simplistic side. So why does Lupe Fiasco have to rap over such shitty music?
dude i aint gonna lie these beats on here are shitty. all im sayin is he has rapped over poppy beats before but they were better than these ones. theres like 4-5 songs on here that can be flat out acapella and the lyrics keep it that good. if your basing your opinions on lupe's beats and songs off this cd alone then i'm sorry for you cause he has some straight up classic tracks on his 1st 2 albums. this album is just OK and with he talent lupe has that is a let down to me. to answer your question lupe has to rap over shitty music on this cd because thats what had to be done to get this out for his fans. he held out on making this for that reason but since us fans demanded it he did what he had to do. it's bittersweet. listen to food and liquor and defintely listen to the cool i'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Apr 20, 2005
I hope his next album is produced by Dead Prez and Soundtrakk. Lex Luger would be dope too. Lex's style will bring the evil out of Lup

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
dude i aint gonna lie these beats on here are shitty. all im sayin is he has rapped over poppy beats before but they were better than these ones. theres like 4-5 songs on here that can be flat out acapella and the lyrics keep it that good. if your basing your opinions on lupe's beats and songs off this cd alone then i'm sorry for you cause he has some straight up classic tracks on his 1st 2 albums. this album is just OK and with he talent lupe has that is a let down to me. to answer your question lupe has to rap over shitty music on this cd because thats what had to be done to get this out for his fans. he held out on making this for that reason but since us fans demanded it he did what he had to do. it's bittersweet. listen to food and liquor and defintely listen to the cool i'm sure you'll be satisfied.
I have HEARD those first 2 albums and I am aware of what was on them. And everything I said in this thread is still true.

As I said, if you can tune out the beats, more power to you, I can't. Also, I can't understand the attitude that people have that goes like this "Rapper X isn't very good on the mic but he heas fire beats, you shouldn't listen to him, listen to Rapper Y who is a lyrical genius (even though his beat selection is absolutely horrible)". Which is absolute nonsense, because after all, if having tight beats is such a trivial thing, then why does Rapper Y with all his talent have such atrocious production on his albums????

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I have HEARD those first 2 albums and I am aware of what was on them. And everything I said in this thread is still true.

As I said, if you can tune out the beats, more power to you, I can't. Also, I can't understand the attitude that people have that goes like this "Rapper X isn't very good on the mic but he heas fire beats, you shouldn't listen to him, listen to Rapper Y who is a lyrical genius (even though his beat selection is absolutely horrible)". Which is absolute nonsense, because after all, if having tight beats is such a trivial thing, then why does Rapper Y for with his talent have such atrocious production on his albums????
you're missing the fucking point here

nobody is telling you that you have to listen to the album!!!! the point is if the album has great lyrics and terrible beats it can't be THAT bad... it can't be SO bad that it would be considered a watershed moment in hip hop history as you claimed

there is plenty of music with shitty beats AND shitty lyrics

I'm not saying it's good to have shitty beats.... but I'm saying it could be worse... there's plenty of hip hip out there far shittier than this that you could be complaining out

and I DO listen to hip hop with shitty lyrics and good beats... I also listen to hip hop with good lyrics and shitty beats... it just depends on HOW shitty the lyrics/production is