LUPE FIASCO : LASERS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2006
I've read the interviews with him. In them he say that there were 2 songs that the label forced him to do and that he likes the music on that album but he doesn't like "the process" of making it.

So, if he was forced to do 2 songs, or even if it was more than 2, who forced him to go for the techno-gay-pop sound on the others? And if he doesn't like that sound, why does he say he likes the album?

And why should I listen to and have respect for someone who went in the boot and recorded the songs and then says he likes them just because supposedly he didn't really want to do them when those songs are among the gayest shit ever put on record and labeled "hip-hop"? Again, I challenge anyone to tell me what the difference between a Lady Gaga track and the tracks on this album is. There is not a single song here that doesn't make my ears hurt...
are you even a fan of lupe? if not then i understand why you saying this but his beats for the most part are usually very poppy but his lyrics are so good over them that i never mind. yes he got some poppy ass beats on here but his lyrics over some of them are still very good just like his last 2. the cool did have that dark side to it though which was awesome to hear but food & liquors beats were pretty similar to this. only argument i have on here and hate is the autotune shit, its like hes trying to sound like kanye or some shit and i aint feeling that at all. overall it's an alright album but not up to par with the cool.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
you're making it sound like your opinion is a fact

if you don't like it, don't listen to it
I don't. It doesn't mean that I am forbidden from calling the wack wack.

some of the beats sound too much like "pop music"
ALL OF THE BEATS sound pop

but some of them sound really similar to beats on his last album
What does this tell you about the last album?

I'm not an expert on Lady Gaga's music... but I don't think most of the beats sound like they're from a Lady Gaga album... and if they ALL sound like that... then I guess I must like some wack ass music
I am not either, I run away as far as possible every time I hear shit like that. I just used Lady Gaga as the symbol of terribly bad pop music that makes your ears hurt. But if you like this album then you definitely like some wack ass music :)

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
are you even a fan of lupe? if not then i understand why you saying this but his beats for the most part are usually very poppy but his lyrics are so good over them that i never mind. yes he got some poppy ass beats on here but his lyrics over some of them are still very good just like his last 2. the cool did have that dark side to it though which was awesome to hear but food & liquors beats were pretty similar to this. only argument i have on here and hate is the autotune shit, its like hes trying to sound like kanye or some shit and i aint feeling that at all. overall it's an alright album but not up to par with the cool.
No, I am not a fan of Lupe, precisely because of the pop beats. It doesn't matter how good the lyrics are, if I am feeling like puking when listening to them because of the music. He is a very good MC, you are not going to see me arguing against that. But the music sucks and those are two separate things. I am not a fan of Kanye West and anything that tries to imitate him either for exactly the same reason. And that's without the autotune...

It is just that this album is so horrible that I just had to comment on it, because it is a watershed moment in hip-hop history of the kind that 808s & Heartbreak was - because of the never reached before level of wackness (at least 808s & Heartbreak was considered a pop album by the artist himself)

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
if you're not a fan of Lupe... why the fuck are you so mad??

I mean if you were a huge Lupe Fiasco fan and you were expecting great things form this album, but you ended up disappointed... I guess I could see you being mad

but you don't like him at all... therefore you probably weren't expecting shit form the album... why take the time to listen to it and discuss/comment on it? and why be SO mad?

I get it if you don't like the album, I'm not saying it's great... but seriously is it THAT bad??? there's been FAR more horrible hip hop albums to come out in recent years

at least Lupe has talent when it comes to rapping

I know we all have opinions, and you're free to express your opinion... but you just seem hella bitter... did Lupe Fiasco fuck your girlfriend at a concert backstage or something???

edit: now that I think about it... I shouldn't assume you're mad... for some reason your posts just come off as angry to me. I guess when we read posts online the tone/attitude is open to our own perceptions. At the end of the day we'll just agree to disagree... because this shit all 100% subjective... I think the album is OK, you think it's horrible - agree to disagree and keep it movin

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I am not angry, that's just how I write, but yes, I am bitter because I remember the times when it was unthinkable that such an album would have been recorded. There has always been pop-rap but there are two huge differences between 15-20 years ago and now:

1. Back then there was a very clear separation between pop-rappers and serious rappers. Pop-rappers were invariably of the goofy kind and nobody was taking them seriously anyway even though they were selling a lot of units and got a lot of hate for that. The likes of Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco have a much different status these days and this is a problem because when people don't think you are the joke you really are, many other artists will start making the same kind of shitty music that can hardly be classified as hip-hop. And I suffer directly from that - it becomes impossible to tune out the pop-sounding albums when all albums are pop-sounding.

2. Pop music has always lacked quality but pop music of the past was a pleasure to listen to compared to the pop music of today which invariably sound as if some 10-year old wrote it and and that's a 10-year old who has no talent and who isn't even trying to make it sound good. So if you make a pop-sounding rap record in 2010, it becomes a real torture tool

Nov 7, 2006
No, I am not a fan of Lupe, precisely because of the pop beats. It doesn't matter how good the lyrics are, if I am feeling like puking when listening to them because of the music. He is a very good MC, you are not going to see me arguing against that. But the music sucks and those are two separate things. I am not a fan of Kanye West and anything that tries to imitate him either for exactly the same reason. And that's without the autotune...

It is just that this album is so horrible that I just had to comment on it, because it is a watershed moment in hip-hop history of the kind that 808s & Heartbreak was - because of the never reached before level of wackness (at least 808s & Heartbreak was considered a pop album by the artist himself)
see now i understand cause the beats have always been like this for the most part. see i do believe this album is easily his worst so i can see where a person that doesnt like him would absolutely hate this album. to say this is a watershed moment in hiphop history is kind of stupid though. yeah the beats are poppy but his lyrics are powerful and have great meaning and if anything a throwback to what hiphop was all about. but hey thats why people got opinions and i do respect your but DAMN you really hate this cd lol. on a side note i bumped in the car and i liked it better than actual headphone listen.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
maybe you just gotta look at it as a sign of the times... maybe you're getting old

you can't say it's not hip hop because YOU don't like the production... Lupe Fiasco is RAPPING over beats... that's hip hop/rap music... there's no specific way to define how a hip hop beat is supposed to sound

hip hop has evolved over the years... the beats from the 89 don't sound like the beats from 99... and the beats from 99 don't sound like the beats in 2011 (for the most part)

shit evolves and changes

and it's harder to say whether or not production is good... it's easier to say whether or not a rapper is wack, with less subjectivity... when you say whether or not a beat is good, it's a lot more about one's personal opinion

I'm not sure what type of beats you like... some people mob beats, some like laid back smooth shit, some like crunk/south beats, some like these "pop" beats

so say what you want... but Lupe is at least bringing lyricism and creativity, which cannot be said for a lot of artists today

if you don't LIKE the music... that's fine, but I think somewhere you almost have to respect it... but that's just my $0.02, your opinion, you're entitled to it

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
maybe you just gotta look at it as a sign of the times... maybe you're getting old

you can't say it's not hip hop because YOU don't like the production... Lupe Fiasco is RAPPING over beats... that's hip hop/rap music... there's no specific way to define how a hip hop beat is supposed to sound

hip hop has evolved over the years... the beats from the 89 don't sound like the beats from 99... and the beats from 99 don't sound like the beats in 2011 (for the most part)
Yes, it has evolved, but there is one crucial difference - at no point until quite recently (hip-hop in general has sucked for much longer) have hip-hop beats sounded exactly like the pop music you hear on the radio. Never. The opposite happened much more often - pop hits incorporated elements from the then current hip-hop sounds. When there is no difference between pop music and mainstream rap music then we have a huge problem. It is no coincidence that if you look at the list of Grammy award nominees in the major categories in recent years, there are so many nominally hip-hop acts there. And that's not a reason to cheer...

shit evolves and changes
It does. Does it mean that when it changes for worse, we have to keep silent?

and it's harder to say whether or not production is good... it's easier to say whether or not a rapper is wack, with less subjectivity... when you say whether or not a beat is good, it's a lot more about one's personal opinion
My opinion is what I am voicing. I haven't claimed otherwise

I'm not sure what type of beats you like... some people mob beats, some like laid back smooth shit, some like crunk/south beats, some like these "pop" beats
I like mob beats, I like laid-back smooth beats, I like crunk and trap beats (long live Lex Luger and Southside!). Anti-melodic watered down techno-pop shit I absolutely despise.

so say what you want... but Lupe is at least bringing lyricism and creativity, which cannot be said for a lot of artists today
Again, I am not criticizing the MCing. But people have to understand that the music does not consist just of that, if it did we would be listening to acapellas. The beats do matter, and just as much as they can make OJ Da Juiceman's music sound good, they can make Lupe Fiasco's music unbearable.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Again, I am not criticizing the MCing. But people have to understand that the music does not consist just of that, if it did we would be listening to acapellas. The beats do matter, and just as much as they can make OJ Da Juiceman's music sound good, they can make Lupe Fiasco's music unbearable.
I understand that completely. I never said the beat doesn't matter

my point is: there's been plenty of hip hop music released with pop sounding beats AND horrible rapping with no lyricism whatsoever

I'm not saying you should overlook the beats and listen to this album because the lyrics are good

I'm saying that there's been MUCH worse hip hop music to come out in recent years, and to say this album is a watershed moment because of how horrible it is - is a huge overstatement, and extremely over dramatic

and to be honest, in my opinion... I don't think ALL the beats sound THAT much like pop music that you hear on the radio anyways... a few of em do, but you're really over exaggerating here

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
ive never been a Lupe fan but decided to give this album a listen

I think this CD definitely has some gems, but the majority of it sounds like a poppy combo of B.o.B. and Kid Cudi over some almost techno beats

i'd say there are 3-4 solid songs

Nov 7, 2006
it has nothing to do with the times as meta4cal said or anything changing. lupe has always sounded like this and his beats have always been kinda "poppy" but for me his lyrics are so good i never care. how many rappers can you really listen to thats rapping over the same beat? lupe is a very uplifting rapper with a good message behind what he says and is beats match what he's saying. just my .02

May 6, 2007
honestly i really like the album but i would love to hear how lupe originally wanted it, with songs like im beaming, shinning down and that other one with kid cudi, i forget the name

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
it has nothing to do with the times as meta4cal said or anything changing. lupe has always sounded like this and his beats have always been kinda "poppy" but for me his lyrics are so good i never care. how many rappers can you really listen to thats rapping over the same beat? lupe is a very uplifting rapper with a good message behind what he says and is beats match what he's saying. just my .02
Why does the fact that he has good lyrics have to excuse the other fact that the music is unlistenable? I am not asking for beats that don't need great lyrics to make a good song the way Lex Luger beats are making subpar MCs sound good, all I am asking for is beats that don't make my brain explode when I try to listen to them. Is it so hard to pick something that doesn't scream "I'm gay!"???

Odd Future is a great example of how you do that - while Tyler has made some truly amazing beats, others, like that Earl video for example which doesn't really have much of a beat to begin with, have something really simple that you most likely wouldn't ever want to listen to without the verses. But it sounds dope because the verses are dope and the beat doesn't kill them even though it is on the simplistic side. So why does Lupe Fiasco have to rap over such shitty music?

Sep 29, 2003
still listening to this album, but probably not for much longer. First impression was not good, then it grew on me, and its back to not being very good. 3/5.....and you need to get the version with bonus tracks "Shining Down" and "I'm Beaming" for sure....those are 2 solid songs.

Apr 20, 2005
Lupe's lyrics never fail me....... but the beats, holy shit Lupe! Did Soundtrakk have anything to do with this album?

NOPE

Wheres Soundtrakk at? That answers the production problem of the album.

Sep 29, 2003
nah^^^ you know what, now that i can remember, Lupe even fucked the fans around with his mixtapes...with the release dates and all that. He had a couple nice ones though