Lack of Respect for Underground Rap!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
Welcome to the internet age, Gabe. It was easier back in the 90's becuase people werent connected as much and sounds were more regional. Now, its all connected and the money dispersion is very different. Albums dont sell anymore, at least no where to what they used to be. Now its all about copyright and mp3 sales...

Rap was a big deal in the 90's, especially for the west coast and the Bay specifically...but everything has changed.

Sep 3, 2002
I can dig what a lot of everyone is saying, and I would add that most underground rappers don't respect themselves, they do anything for money. I think that there was a time when there was some pride and dignity, and disregard for money and mainstream approval that made people respect the movement on the rebel music tip / like counter culture.

But now dudes will do ANYTHING to get on. They do greedy shit, and clown on each other for not wearing clothes made by gay Italians, and use record sales to battle each other rather than bars.

And fans stopped calling wack rappers wack out of fear of looking "a hater".

Apr 11, 2003
Broadbeach, AUSTRALIA
I can dig what a lot of everyone is saying, and I would add that most underground rappers don't respect themselves, they do anything for money. I think that there was a time when there was some pride and dignity, and disregard for money and mainstream approval that made people respect the movement on the rebel music tip / like counter culture.

But now dudes will do ANYTHING to get on. They do greedy shit, and clown on each other for not wearing clothes made by gay Italians, and use record sales to battle each other rather than bars.

And fans stopped calling wack rappers wack out of fear of looking "a hater".

So true, there is no such thing as a wack rapper anymore is there. If someone is wack and they get a bit of attention no one is man enough to call them out, their wackness gets justified by saying the dude is 'a hustler' .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Some just aren't humble.(those are the ones that get the most exposure) They don't let the music speak for themselves. They over saturate with interviews, youtube videos like they are somebody. Its the day of age where if anyone wanted they can make a song, a video, a website with zero meaningful content just being braggadocios .

Then you have legit dope artist with integrity that will straight out refuse to pay to open for an artist. I respect that. But you have those dudes with $$$ who pay their way to the fore front. That's not being a hustler , that's not being business savvy , its straight up hurting the game. But as long as they get the exposure and they get the 15 minutes of fame they don't care nor respect how they negatively affect the game.

So unfortunately $$$ hurt the underground. I always say I cant wait for hip hop to get off of TV and the mainstream and everyone truly goes pop or what ever the fuck the new sound is. Because the artist's that truly love hip hop, self expression, creativity, and have something meaningful to say will still be around and all the attention whore fuck boys will be wearing dresses and singing about designer drugs killing people and being sad or what ever the fuck these half men wanna rap/ cry about will be doing that flavor of the month shit.

I could be wrong. But that's how I feel. We pay attention to those peacocking instead of those actually creating content with merit. Because the media, websites, magazines want more viewers, readers, followers, likes NOW!!! So they tailor their medium to whats hot/popular NOW. Everything is one big advertisement for the next big nothing and the fans allowed it.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Some just aren't humble.(those are the ones that get the most exposure) They don't let the music speak for themselves. They over saturate with interviews, youtube videos like they are somebody. Its the day of age where if anyone wanted they can make a song, a video, a website with zero meaningful content just being braggadocios .

Then you have legit dope artist with integrity that will straight out refuse to pay to open for an artist. I respect that. But you have those dudes with $$$ who pay their way to the fore front. That's not being a hustler , that's not being business savvy , its straight up hurting the game. But as long as they get the exposure and they get the 15 minutes of fame they don't care nor respect how they negatively affect the game.

So unfortunately $$$ hurt the underground. I always say I cant wait for hip hop to get off of TV and the mainstream and everyone truly goes pop or what ever the fuck the new sound is. Because the artist's that truly love hip hop, self expression, creativity, and have something meaningful to say will still be around and all the attention whore fuck boys will be wearing dresses and singing about designer drugs killing people and being sad or what ever the fuck these half men wanna rap/ cry about will be doing that flavor of the month shit.

I could be wrong. But that's how I feel. We pay attention to those peacocking instead of those actually creating content with merit. Because the media, websites, magazines want more viewers, readers, followers, likes NOW!!! So they tailor their medium to whats hot/popular NOW. Everything is one big advertisement for the next big nothing and the fans allowed it.
/thread.

What you are saying is what I am experiencing. Man if only you all could see these SICK ass emails and paperwork I have recieved from some of these people. And I don't mean sick in a good way but sick as in demented, greedy, conniving, rape oriented and a FUCK YOU HERESY mentality that is basically tatted on their head.

Nov 27, 2014
The future of underground rap is the past. If you want to be original I would start of movement. I would stop recording shit all together and only perform live and got a local circuit of clubs in your region get an Internet buzz but don't record shit or put it out. Make people come to your shows if they want to hear your music and see your act. Put out snippets of your live show but don't record an album. Make fuckers sneak in cameras just get bootlegs of your live show. The reason rap sucks now is because the game changed its over saturated everybody can do it with minimal effort and nobody has an "act" you gotta bring that shit back to its roots if you want to wake rap up and change the game again.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
The future of underground rap is the past. If you want to be original I would start of movement. I would stop recording shit all together and only perform live and got a local circuit of clubs in your region get an Internet buzz but don't record shit or put it out. Make people come to your shows if they want to hear your music and see your act. Put out snippets of your live show but don't record an album. Make fuckers sneak in cameras just get bootlegs of your live show. The reason rap sucks now is because the game changed its over saturated everybody can do it with minimal effort and nobody has an "act" you gotta bring that shit back to its roots if you want to wake rap up and change the game again.

I like that. Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
The problem is everyone is saying live shows, live shows, but in the bay it's hard to put on a live show for various reasons, the main being the insurance for the venue and the high possibility that niggas is gonna tear it up or shoot up the place because so many cats are on designer drugs, don't give a fuck because it isn't their shit and niggas is at each other's throats. Then when it comes to the Internet, everyone has a fuckin YouTube or some shit, paying for views and a cat got mad at me for saying I didn't need a FB page (a guy who has a lot of followers and does interviews with artists.)

My advice, since my audience is a bit different is to make a "blue ocean." That's the Google term for today and I'm stickin with it.

BTW, I'd like to thank all my sick brehs for supporting this GC shit and purchasing the album. The corporate fucks are stressing me out and I want to shoot a couple of bloggers and label owners in the face but that's expected.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
The problem is everyone is saying live shows, live shows, but in the bay it's hard to put on a live show for various reasons, the main being the insurance for the venue and the high possibility that niggas is gonna tear it up or shoot up the place because so many cats are on designer drugs, don't give a fuck because it isn't their shit and niggas is at each other's throats.
Valid point.

Its gonna be hard to have shows for sure. But anything worth having never comes easy.

Nov 27, 2014
The problem is everyone is saying live shows, live shows, but in the bay it's hard to put on a live show for various reasons, the main being the insurance for the venue and the high possibility that niggas is gonna tear it up or shoot up the place because so many cats are on designer drugs, don't give a fuck because it isn't their shit and niggas is at each other's throats. Then when it comes to the Internet, everyone has a fuckin YouTube or some shit, paying for views and a cat got mad at me for saying I didn't need a FB page (a guy who has a lot of followers and does interviews with artists.)

My advice, since my audience is a bit different is to make a "blue ocean." That's the Google term for today and I'm stickin with it.

BTW, I'd like to thank all my sick brehs for supporting this GC shit and purchasing the album. The corporate fucks are stressing me out and I want to shoot a couple of bloggers and label owners in the face but that's expected.
Well maybe it's time for the content in the music to change the attitudes of the niggas in the club, maybe do a tight as show that rowdy ass thugged out people can't fuck shit up because there energy isn't the majority in the crowd, maybe put on an actual show with visual aspects where people want to watch as much as listen so they aren't busy tripping off each other. I think this promoting murder prison death lifestyle needs to be done anyways that shit ran its course and killed all its prophets already

Nov 27, 2014
Also it is really easy for an artist to change the attitudes of his fans because they came to feast off your energy so if your on stage spitting out nothing but negativity how do you not expect some negative shit to happen in or outside the club

Props: Mr G and Mr G
Apr 25, 2002
I agree with a lot of posts but I think some of it has to go back to the artists. A lot of rappers carrying the torch through the 90s and 2000s never passed it to someone else and kept proliferating albums year after year. The internet has also brought people and fans closer to rappers and it hasn't been good for the rappers. When a person's character doesn't match their artistic character people see that and lose interest. Lastly just to be honest, I don't feel like there's as many "flame spitters" as their used to be across hip hop in general. Hip hop has gravitated toward R&B/Pop, the people who can really rock the mic aren't getting matched up with the producers and teams who can make solid product. I'm very thankful there's still places like Amoeba, Rasputins, and the Siccness. Its help preserved Nor Cal rap as a cult following / genre.

Nov 4, 2005
I get tired of hearing the same of crap about wearing gucci belts and about how much syrup they pour into sprite..and rapping about shit they don't own, i like joe blow he's a decent rapper but i get tired of him rapping about shit he doesn't own, he always says hes wearing like 100k in jewels when he clearly is not

i think the problem is that shit's just not real anymore for the most part

TaTa

Sicc OG
May 22, 2006
Times have changed. Kids growing up don't support underground music no more. Us adults, well, we are grown man. we can no longer attend shows or go to a night club and spend our money. We need to pay mortgages, and bills. Not to mention, we have a to go to work for a living. Without the youth support of underground music, the underground scene will eventually die out.

Jul 19, 2007
I've been around for a minute and noticed a decline of support for the local Underground Rap Scene. I think that's the #1 reason this board has slowed down to a crawl.

Take a look at the New York Rap scene (East Coast), those guys support their local artists and keep things fresh. We're too busy talking shit and arguing with each other.

Who Cares Now? Once apon a time Bay Area Rap was KNOWN for having THE MOST local support of ANY ganre.. EVEN more than the Seattle grunge rock scene of the 90's..

Sorry had to vent... Drinking! :siccness: :siccness: :siccness: :siccness: :siccness:
All I gotta say is the music is lame where is the funk, trendsetting don't give a fuckers at, everybody tryna sound like the mainstream faggots