Kobe Carries Lakers in Opener

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 26, 2005
DENVER, Nov. 2 (Ticker) -- The Phil Jackson-Kobe Bryant reunification tour got off to a rousing start.

In Jackson's first game as Los Angeles Lakers coach after a one-year hiatus, Bryant welcomed him back with eight of his 33 points in overtime and the go-ahead jumper with 0.6 seconds left as the Lakers posted a 99-97 victory over the Denver Nuggets.
Jackson won the last three of his nine NBA titles with Bryant in Los Angeles before leaving after the tumultuous 2003-04 season, which ended with a loss in the NBA Finals. That led to an awful 2004-05 campaign in which the Lakers plummeted to their worst record in 11 years while Jackson wrote a book that called Bryant "uncoachable."

The two took the first step toward rebuilding their relationship by leading the Lakers to their 22nd win in 33 all-time road openers.

"We had some luck with us tonight," Jackson said. "The win wasn't important for me, it was important for the team. But getting the win is twice as nice."

Bryant was unable to win it in regulation when he missed a fadeaway jumper at the buzzer but more than made up for it in the extra session.

He hit back-to-back jumpers from just inside the arc and Lamar Odom added a pair of free throws to give Los Angeles a 95-92 lead with just over a minute left.

Andre Miller answered with two free throws and a layup on a fast break that started when 6-11 Marcus Camby stripped Bryant before having his drive to the hoop thwarted by Bryant's block. Miller was there to clean up the mess and give the Nuggets a 96-95 edge inside of a minute.

Bryant replied with a pair of free throws and Kenyon Martin hit one for Denver to make it 97-97 with 22 seconds left, setting up a final chance for the Lakers.

In a surprise scenario, Los Angeles turned to newcomer Kwame Brown, who missed a short hook but got his own rebound and fed Bryant with time winding down. Bryant dribbled away from Miller and rose from inside the arc on the left wing.

"Coach trusts me," Bryant said. "He has called plays like that in the past. The opposition is expecting me to get the ball, and he knows that if the play breaks down I will find my way back to the ball."

Despite Miller's presence and Eduardo Najera's outstretched arm, Bryant drilled the decisive shot. After a timeout, Denver guard Voshon Lenard had a 3-pointer rattle in and out as time expired.

"It feels so good to win," Bryant said. "It was a big game for us. We are a young team and we had to battle back on the road to get the win. I'm proud of us."

Bryant played much of last season under heavy pressure without Jackson and superstar center Shaquille O'Neal, particularly late in games when the Lakers had few options other than Bryant.

On Wednesday, he shined in the role, scoring all but two of Los Angeles' points in OT.

"We have room for improvement, but being able to win the game was good," Bryant said. "We don't want moral victories. We want to learn, but it is nicer when you learn while winning."

Smush Parker scored 20 points and helped the Lakers rally from a four-point deficit in the final minute of regulation with a 3-pointer with 37 seconds left.

"With this offense I'm expecting to get some points," said Parker, who made just his 20th career start. "The way they sag off of me and go double Kobe, I'm going to get a lot of open shots. It is my job to hit them. This is a great start to the season for where we are headed. We all think we can make the playoffs this year."

Camby, who was limited to just four points in a season-opening 101-92 loss at San Antonio on Tuesday, scored 19 points and grabbed 14 rebounds before fouling out in OT.

"It's frustrating," Camby said. "It was a game we should have won. You have to give those guys credit, they got the best of us tonight. We'll see them again. We feel we should be 2-0 but, give the Spurs credit and tonight we let this one slip away."

Denver's Carmelo Anthony added 16 points but missed a potential go-ahead hoop in the waning seconds of regulation and was scoreless in OT before also fouling out.

"I want to blame it on myself," Anthony said. "I shot too early at the end of the fourth. I just hurried and I wanted to make the shot. He (Kobe) hits the big shots, especially against us. He had the hot hand tonight."

No team led by more than seven points or won a quarter by more than three. Anthony scored four points and Camby three in Denver's 9-2 run in the final minutes of regulation.

Devean George and Chris Mihm both hit free throws around Parker's 3-pointer and Anthony and Bryant exchanged misses in the last 20 seconds.

The Nuggets were playing their first game without power forward Nenê, who was likely lost for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee in Tuesday's opener, and their second game under acting coach Scott Brooks.

Denver coach George Karl was serving the second half of a league-imposed two-game suspension for attending an offseason workout with high school players not eligible for the NBA draft

Oct 26, 2005
saladbowlking said:
^^whats this got to do with music?!!!!!!
YOU'RE JUST A FUCKING HATER ARENT YOU? GO BACK TO EAST CO CO AND SAY THAT ABOUT THEIR NINERS RIDERS THREADS! GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE ITS A SOUTHERN CALI FORUM SO IMMA POST THREADS ABOUT SOUTHERN CALI TEAMS! I GIVES A SHIT ABOUT WHAT U THINK U AINT EVEN FROM SOUTHERN CALI! SO BASICALLY YOU HAVE NO SAY HERE ..........
TO CAFFEINE: YEAH DID U WATCH THE GAME DAWG? THAT SHIT WAS CRAZY LESS THAN A SECOND WHEN KOBE SCORED.. EVEN WITH 00.6 OF A SECOND THE NUGGETS HAD A SHOT BUT THEY MISSED THAT WAS CLOSE IT WAS A GOOD ASS GAME..

Mar 25, 2005
ESE_GRIMY said:
YOU'RE JUST A FUCKING HATER ARENT YOU? GO BACK TO EAST CO CO AND SAY THAT ABOUT THEIR NINERS RIDERS THREADS! GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE ITS A SOUTHERN CALI FORUM SO IMMA POST THREADS ABOUT SOUTHERN CALI TEAMS! I GIVES A SHIT ABOUT WHAT U THINK U AINT EVEN FROM SOUTHERN CALI! SO BASICALLY YOU HAVE NO SAY HERE ..........
TO CAFFEINE: YEAH DID U WATCH THE GAME DAWG? THAT SHIT WAS CRAZY LESS THAN A SECOND WHEN KOBE SCORED.. EVEN WITH 00.6 OF A SECOND THE NUGGETS HAD A SHOT BUT THEY MISSED THAT WAS CLOSE IT WAS A GOOD ASS GAME..
MY BAD, I DIDNT MEAN TO SHIT ON UR PARADE!!!!!! BUT U KNOW THEY AINT GOIN TO BE SHIT FOR A HOT MINUTE, SO STOP HUGGING KOBES NUTS!!!!

Oct 26, 2005
saladbowlking said:
MY BAD, I DIDNT MEAN TO SHIT ON UR PARADE!!!!!! BUT U KNOW THEY AINT GOIN TO BE SHIT FOR A HOT MINUTE, SO STOP HUGGING KOBES NUTS!!!!

UNLIKE YOU I DONT JUMP IN THE BANDWAGON "ONLY" WHEN MY TEAM IS DOING GOOD.. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A LAKERS FAN EVEN IN THEIR WORST SEASONS SO QUIT ALL YOUR HATIN' AND GO WORRY ABOUT YOUR WACK ASS SAC QUEENS WITH THEIR BRAND NEW METALLIC PINK UNIFORMS!!!! LMAOO

Oct 26, 2005
saladbowlking said:

NUTS? I GUESS THATS ALL U HAVE IN YOUR MIND WITH YOUR GAY ASS THOUGHTS..LOL SO GO BACK TO THE ECC FORUM AND KEEP ON HUGGING WOODIES NUTS.. LOL

Oct 26, 2005
saladbowlking said:
WHY DONT YOU GO TO THE S.A.D. THREAD AND HUG HIS NUTS!!! HA HAH!!! AND THEN GO TO HELL!!!LMFAO!!!!
AWWW YOU'RE MAD CUZ HE'S A SUREñO FROM NORTHERN CALI AND HE LYRICALLY MURDERS ANY NORTENO RAPPER, SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE SICK AND THE NAME OF YOUR SICKNESS IS CALLED "JEALOUSY" LOL MAD CUZ HE ABOUT TO BLOW THE FUCK UP REPPIN A NORTHERN CALI CITY.. (AND YOU HAVENT HEARD SILENT FROM WEST VALLEJO) LOL SEEMS TO ME THAT YOUR WOULD HAVE WANTED SAD TO BE A NORTENO.. LOL

Mar 25, 2005
ESE_GRIMY said:
AWWW YOU'RE MAD CUZ HE'S A SUREñO FROM NORTHERN CALI AND HE LYRICALLY MURDERS ANY NORTENO RAPPER, SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE SICK AND THE NAME OF YOUR SICKNESS IS CALLED "JEALOUSY" LOL MAD CUZ HE ABOUT TO BLOW THE FUCK UP REPPIN A NORTHERN CALI CITY.. (AND YOU HAVENT HEARD SILENT FROM WEST VALLEJO) LOL SEEMS TO ME THAT YOUR WOULD HAVE WANTED SAD TO BE A NORTENO.. LOL

HES FROM SANTA CRUZ, ALL HES EVER HAD TO WORRY ABOUT THERE WAS GETTING OUT OF THE WAY OF SKATE BOARDERS, AND WATCHING THE SKY SO HE DONT GET SHITTED ON BY A SEAGULL. I DONT THINK YOU KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT HIM, BUT YET YOU ON HIM LIKE A JOCKSTRAP THINKIN HES THE SKRAMPA SAVIOUR!!!!!! HA HAH HAH AH!!!!LMAO!!

Oct 26, 2005
saladbowlking said:
HES FROM SANTA CRUZ, ALL HES EVER HAD TO WORRY ABOUT THERE WAS GETTING OUT OF THE WAY OF SKATE BOARDERS, AND WATCHING THE SKY SO HE DONT GET SHITTED ON BY A SEAGULL. I DONT THINK YOU KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT HIM, BUT YET YOU ON HIM LIKE A JOCKSTRAP THINKIN HES THE SKRAMPA SAVIOUR!!!!!! HA HAH HAH AH!!!!LMAO!!

ITS STILL A NORTE TOWN, JUST LIKE RICHMOND,FAIRFIELD,SANTA ROSA WHERE THERES MORE SURENOS THAN NORTENOS NOW AND I KNOW THAT SHIT IS KILLING YOU ..LMFAO!

Oct 26, 2005
FROM WHAT I HEARD FROM A NORTENA FROM WATSONVILLE YOU FOOZ CAN'T EVEN WALK THE S.C. BOARDWALK WITHOUT GETTING CHECKED BY SURENOS. I THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY FUNNY

Oct 26, 2005
JUST LIKE THE NORTHSIDE OF STOCKTON AND PARTS OF LODI CALLE SAN MARCOS IN FAIRFIELD AND THE WHOLE CITY OF RICHMOND ,19TH IN THE LOWER MISSION IN SAN FRANCISCO, PARTS OF SANTA ROSA AND SO ON.. WEIRD CUZ BACK IN THE DAYS THERE WAS HARLDY ANY SURENOS UPTHERE....

Mar 25, 2005
ESE_GRIMY said:
FROM WHAT I HEARD FROM A NORTENA FROM WATSONVILLE YOU FOOZ CAN'T EVEN WALK THE S.C. BOARDWALK WITHOUT GETTING CHECKED BY SURENOS. I THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY FUNNY

THATS FUNNY, I WENT TO THE BOARDWALK ALOT THIS YEAR AND DIDNT GET HIT UP ONCE!!!

Oct 26, 2005
305 said:
Lakers suck

ANOTHER "LAKER HATER" LOL
BTW THE QUEENS AND THEIR "BRIGHT PINK" UNIFORM LOST LAST NIGHT ..LOL

OH AND ABOUT THE BOARDWALK IM JUST GOING FOR WHAT SHE SAID AND WHAT I'VE HEARD FROM OTHER PEOPLE IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE.