JAMARCUS RUSSEL IS ALREADY A BUST

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I wouldn't call JR a bust... they pretty much agree on the dollar amount. I think it's the Raiders fault that he's not signed.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/raiders/2007-09-05-russell-update_N.htm

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

Even if the Oakland Raiders sign No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell before their opener Sunday against the Detroit Lions, the former LSU star has lost irreplaceable training camp time learning Oakland's offense, and 2007 already looms as a lost season for the quarterback.

The Raiders "realize they have dropped the ball, and they started negotiating in good faith," Ray Russell, JaMarcus' uncle and adviser, said from Atlanta.

"They've done more talking in the last week and a half than the previous three months. It's almost done.

"It's just a damn shame it's taken this long."

The sticking point? Oakland's reluctance to guarantee the normal skill-and-injury clause that secures bonus money in case of injury, death or release due to poor performance.

"We told them before the draft, 'If you guys have a problem with the skill-and-injury clause, then don't draft him,' " Ray Russell said.

JaMarcus Russell is working with a personal trainer and occasionally works out with the Morehouse College football team in Atlanta.

Apr 25, 2002
REdRUM said:
How would Quinn be available if he was picked up in the first round? The Raiders couldn't have got him...
Actually it would have been possible for them to grab Calvin Johnson and Brady Quinn or even Jamarcus Russell.. There were only two QBs taken in the first round and they were the two I just mentioned. Depending on what Detroit would have done if CJ wasn't available (I think they might have gone RB), the raiders could have actually ended up with one of the two QBs in the second round as long as the lions didn't take one of them.

It would have been a sweet deal for the raiders if they had gotten CJ and a franchise QB. But of course that didn't happen and we'll never know for sure if it could have happened.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
^There's no way JR would have fell to the second round with that kind of talent.
Still don't know where you see this undeniable talent!

Can he throw the ball hard and a mile? sure

does that translate to the NFL? not always.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Tom Brady's ex-mentor sees the talent... so did Pete Carroll and other NFL experts. Obviously the Raiders saw that talent as well that's why they selected him first overall. The Raiders want to do something out of the norm as far as contracts are concerned. That's the hold up... can't fault JR or his agents for that.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Tom Brady's ex-mentor sees the talent... so did Pete Carroll and other NFL experts. Obviously the Raiders saw that talent as well that's why they selected him first overall. The Raiders want to do something out of the norm as far as contracts are concerned. That's the hold up... can't fault JR or his agents for that.
leaf also had talent, and marinovich, etc etc etc...we have already been down this road..

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Yep and so did Palmer, Peyton Manning, etc... Yes we've been down that road before.

you do realize Plamer and Manning were decent in college right? JR not so much! He is captilizing off 1 game his senior season against a team that had a crappy defense...good for him. BUT there is a reason the Raiders dont want to include that clause...THEY HAVE SEEN HIM FIRST HAND IN PRACTICE AGAINST THIER D........If he showed ANYTHING during minicamp they would not be hesitating

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
A lot of people are blaming Russell.. but I blame the Raiders for not wanting to include the skill and injury clauses in the contract. The Raiders want to do something out of the norm. Russell's agents have been in the business for a while... they're not stupid. If Russell gets injured guess what? Not only does Russell lose out on money his agents won't be paid either.

if the Raiders had any doubt about his skill they wouldn't have drafted him. Makes no sense at all to draft someone number one overall and then worry about their skill.

Apr 7, 2007
as it stands NOW i really dont want jr on my team anymore this shit is gettin way outta hand especially for someone that wasnt even the best qb in college football last year I SAY TRADE HIM OR SOMETHIN BUT DONT KEEP HIM. GO RAIDERS

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Think about the situation with Barry Sanders. He retired early and Detroit wanted some of their money back that they paid him. The Raiders want some kind of protection so just incase he decides to retire, gets hurt, or just simply gets released by the team.

I know a lot of Raider fans are pissed at JR but if I was him I wouldn't sign that contract either. Top picks don't sign contracts these days without that skill-injury clause.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Think about the situation with Barry Sanders. He retired early and Detroit wanted some of their money back that they paid him. The Raiders want some kind of protection so just incase he decides to retire, gets hurt, or just simply gets released by the team.

I know a lot of Raider fans are pissed at JR but if I was him I wouldn't sign that contract either. Top picks don't sign contracts these days without that skill-injury clause.

bad bad bad bad bad example..Barry was only a few years from retiring anyways...and that was on his contract AFTER his rookie contract....Detroit knew what they were buying.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
if you have the 1st pick in the draft you can work out a contract wit dude before draft day so you would think you would draft a guy you actually had a chance 2 sign, but not the raiders. what you expect from a team that already cut their 3rd round pick tho? thats 2 wasted top 65 picks in the same draft, their gm is worse than matt millen. go packers!