J. Russell.. raider Fans, What's The Deal?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
thascary1 said:
but see the funny thing is...they were college players that actually did something. JR isn't/wasn't on thier level competivly in college....like I said earlier he was almost beat out of his position.

And I still dont think they are worth that much either.

I'm glad my team is usually always competitve and we don't have to wrry about those type of drsft picks.
Huh? JR had to do something right to get picked first overall dog. Come on now. Al Davis is just being stubborn. I'll have to side with JR on this one. Why should JR have to sign a contract that differs from the other draft pick contracts? JR wants his structured just like Calvin Johnson's is structured but Al doesn't want to do it.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Huh? JR had to do something right to get picked first overall dog. Come on now. Al Davis is just being stubborn. I'll have to side with JR on this one. Why should JR have to sign a contract that differs from the other draft pick contracts? JR wants his structured just like Calvin Johnson's is structured but Al doesn't want to do it.
he played well aganst medicore schools...thats what he did

Hell ask most fans of his and one of his most memorable games last year was tennesse...HE THREW 3 INT'S that game...wow memorable game for you....lol

lets see against louisana lafayette 3 td's 0 ints, tulane 2 td's 0 int's, Kentucky 2td's 0int's....now

Aubrun 0 td's 0 int's, Florida 1 td 3int's, tennesse 3td's 3 int's, Notre Dme 2 td's 1 int

way to step up against real teams there JR

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
I am pretty sure you can find bad games for every Qb that has played football.
but not on a consistent basis against nothing but good teams.

Sure 1 or 2 bad games a year yes I agree,,,but consistantly play good against lesser comp, and consistently play below average against better comp?

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Its shit like this that fucks up team's salary. Likee someone said before, the NFL should do rookie contracts like the NBA. I dont think Lebron was making a million in his first 3 years.

Al doesnt want to end up like the Lions, like how they are paying like 25 million just for their recievers and only 5 of the 11 are still on the team.

Al just knows he has to sign Russell and the top 3 pick next year. Thats alot of guaranteed money for 3 players (Gallery, Russell, next years top 3 pick) when you have a 53 man team.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
It is what it is. If Al wasn't willing to pay top dollar for the number one pick then he should have traded down. You gotta pay a franchise Qb top dollar period.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
It is what it is. If Al wasn't willing to pay top dollar for the number one pick then he should have traded down. You gotta pay a franchise Qb top dollar period.

wow isn't that what I said he should have done BEFORE the draft??

Jan 2, 2004
2-0-Sixx said:
It really pisses me off when these young players who haven't even played a single NFL play demand such high contracts. You got to prove your worthy. The NFL should have mandatory 1-year Rookie contracts with a maximum amount they can get paid for that year. Doesn't the NBA have something like that??
Yes.. NBA has a three year rookie contract system. With a fourth year team option, I believe.

Greg Oden's Contract (All Guaranteed) (Comparing because they are number 1 picks)

Year 1 - $4,662,000
Year 2 - $5,011,680
Year 3 - $5,361,240
Year 4 - $6,796,524

Total: 4 Years, 21.831 Million, guaranteed..

So, Russell is probably getting a 5 or 6 year deal, I'm guessing, so 30 mil guaranteed isn't bad, but he's gonna get rediculous amount of money based on Calvin Johnson's contract.

I have no idea what Jamarcus is talked about getting, but Calvin got six years, 64 million at the number two pick, 27.2 Million Guaranteed. Russell will probably end up with about a 6 year, 70-72 million dollar contract, with 30-32 guaranteed.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
@ thascary 1...Yeah but you didn't know he wasn't willing to pay that contract. You said they should trade to down to address the o-line not because Al doesn't want to give 30 mill guaranteed.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Robby2Slobby said:
I have no idea what Jamarcus is talked about getting, but Calvin got six years, 64 million at the number two pick, 27.2 Million Guaranteed. Russell will probably end up with about a 6 year, 70-72 million dollar contract, with 30-32 guaranteed.
This sounds about right. I don't know if JR is asking for 70 mill though. JR wants his 30 mill guaranteed the same way everyone else's money is guaranteed from what I understand. But the Raiders don't want to guarantee all of that 30 mill like everyone else got their's guaranteed. If I was JR I wouldn't sign the contract either.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Tony said:
@ thascary 1...Yeah but you didn't know he wasn't willing to pay that contract. You said they should trade to down to address the o-line not because Al doesn't want to give 30 mill guaranteed.
But before the draft Al knew he would have to pay me more then the last number 1. Plus he woulkd have to pay him more because he's a QB. Al knew before the draft because he's smarter then that, he's just playing hardball.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Quick said:
But before the draft Al knew he would have to pay me more then the last number 1. Plus he woulkd have to pay him more because he's a QB. Al knew before the draft because he's smarter then that, he's just playing hardball.
Exactly.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
antoniog831 said:
@TONY, RUSSEL IS GETTING OFFERED 30 MILL. GUARANTEED, I HEARD IN ESPN THAT HE WANTS 34...
If this is true, then Russell is being too greedy. Burgess needs his loot too. 30 million guaranteed like everyone else's contract should be enough.

Aug 12, 2007
hes been offered money in the range of 30-32 mill guaranteed. his agents reportedly want something in the range 33-35 mill. his agents players are known for long holdouts. the raiders are doing the right thing by not budging. if you think it would be wise to give 35 mill to a rookie quarterback without being able to take it back if he was to get injured or holdout again your simply dumb. to all the idiots that are saying this is another example of raiders mismangement and all that other shit are idiots. you have to think about your teams future. im not trippin if he doesnt play this season. hell be signed soon enough for him to learn the offense and be able to play next year.

Apr 5, 2005
REdRUM said:
Prove something, then make demands.

If you were in his shoes you would want a huge contract too! Please with this show you;re worthy crap. You guys are all outsiders. No one knows what the fuck is going on with these contract negotiations. Who would want just a 1 year deal? No one! Signed for one year and break a leg. You are pretty much fucked! Now if you were to be signed for multiple years and then break a leg....you are still getting paid to rehabilitate. Most of these athletes don't even have a high level of education. They need a long term contract and a proper amount of money to live. Thats the reason why these jack offs want long term deals with money guaranteed. Welcome to the professional sports world.

Jan 2, 2004
Honestly though, don't you think that extra two million would've been worth it so he could develop in pre-season a little.

Now, he can pretty much hold out as long as he wants if you ask me. Neither side has reason to push forward that much. He has this week to come in and hope to get any playing time this season probably.

I don't see him playing at all with Culpepper, Walter and McCown there right now. He has no reason to rush forward, since its not gonna get him more PT, and the team has no reason to rush forward anymore since he's already lost the most important part of a Rookie QBs season, and that's training camp and the pre-season.

If I was Al Davis or whoever runs the raiders organization. I'd lowball the fuck out of him right now. I'd at least start lowering the offers.

If he does holdout through the year, and go back into the draft, he won't be a top pick. This will kill his draftability, plus the fact that he'll have wasted a year.

Apr 25, 2002
Robby2Slobby said:
If I was Al Davis or whoever runs the raiders organization. I'd lowball the fuck out of him right now. I'd at least start lowering the offers.

If he does holdout through the year, and go back into the draft, he won't be a top pick. This will kill his draftability, plus the fact that he'll have wasted a year.
I agree. Not only will he not be a top pick, but most teams would hesitate to draft him because of the holdout he pulled this year. The way I see it, the raiders can start taking advantage of the situation right now. Just tell his ass that their offer is going to keep going down until he signs. Let him know what's gonna happen if he holds out the entire season. He might say fuck it and sign before the offer gets any lower. But if he plays hardball, they may have wasted their number one pick completely.

Honestly though, I think Russell is going too far with this shit. He has never taken a snap, and he wants more money than a lot of starting QBs in the league.