Is "snap music" the death of hip-hop?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 10, 2002
No Snap music is not the death of hip-hop reguardless if you agree or not snap is just another part of rap, people always think when something comes along in music that they dont like thats its the death of it, just like folks on the east coast thought that gangsta rap was the death of rap but it wasnt snap wont kill hip-hop the only thing that will kill or can kill rap is us.

May 5, 2002
i luv how people start trippin. the only thing that is different about "hip hop" or rap or whatever the hell u wanna lable it is that each region is gettin their time in the spotlight. each region still has their quality artists that will be unknown to the masses. there's nothin different! the spotlight is just pretty big now n u have folks goin for the $$$. but that doesnt mean their arent just as many quality rappers/MC's out there - u just cant associate someone bein on tv as bein the best or whatnot ... so calm down!

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Cante-up said:
1)What do u got in mind when u say that >

"the majority of hip-hop already sucked around 98-99"

2) for you who started the crack musik era?the DIPSET?
for me the crack music era started with T.I., Jeezy and Dipset a few years ago

And when I say that most of hip-hop sucked around 98-99 I mean that around that time most of the music that was coming out of New York started to suck (Bad Boy, the second round of Wu-affiliated albums wasn't that good, etc.), and gangsta rap got flooded with rappers with no talent and the majority of albums was mediocre. This is a fact, you can not deny it. If your average rap-album around 93-94 had 10 tracks out of which you would feel at least 5 or 6 (at least!) around 99 the average album had 18 tracks with 2 or 3 good ones

For me, personally, the peak of bullshit music was around 2001-2002 when everybody was dropping "thug-ballads" (Ja Rule, Nelly's Dilema, etc.) that sounded like the new Britney Spears single, shit was really terrible around that time and if there's something positive about the crunk/trap/snap/hyphy wave, it is that it got us rid of the corny R&B (well, almost)

Mar 7, 2004
i just wanna know why hip hop cant be fun? its not just politics its a lifestyle. music is an influance on lifestyle. i live the life of a hip hop culture rock,punk,metal ex........ punk music is very political but still has alot of upbeat fun music. i think ppl like ghostface and nas just kill it for themselfs.

Feb 17, 2006
DEVIL'S POET said:
i just wanna know why hip hop cant be fun? its not just politics its a lifestyle. music is an influance on lifestyle. i live the life of a hip hop culture rock,punk,metal ex........ punk music is very political but still has alot of upbeat fun music. i think ppl like ghostface and nas just kill it for themselfs.
hip hop can be fun, but why does it gotta be retarded? ghostface and nas, even though they're not necessarily my favorites, are speaking real shit instead of followin trends in order to make money

i hate everytime i tell someone that i listen to hip hop they give me a screwed up face and ask how i can listen to that shit...after asking what shit they could be talking about, they reply with "lean wit it rock wit it" and "this is why i'm not...i'm hot cause i'm fly you aint cause you not". everyone thinks that shit sucks...and i would have to agree with them. i actually believe people who listen to that music have a significantly lower IQ than everyone else...honest thesis

those motherfuckers aren't doing anything to help out their people. they just keep money moving through atlantic, warner brothers, or whatever the fuck they're on. it's fuckin wonderful they're keepin the stereotypes alive by flashing their "ghetto behavior" which is supposed to stem from social constraints placed on inner-city poor people because of a lack of jobs

mainstream rap is the definition of what is wrong with youths today. i try not to believe it, but it's true. it's not cool to listen to immortal technique and get an education...it's only cool to bump T.I. and sell drugs in order to be like him.

but don't believe what i say. pay no attention. whoever that motherfucker is that posts about five times a day about how hot mike jones is can go waste his life away jackin off to pictures of rolls royce phantoms. the rest of you pre-teens can go to bed tonight with visions of african blood diamonds and candy paint plastered on the insides of your eyelids. don't worry about making a difference...just think about yourself...go sell some crack and dont worry about what happens to those people you sell it to because you living a glamorous life...just worry about makin money to buy that drum machine so you can sit in your mom's basement every night trying to put your tape out...and you probably will put a tape out rapping about grillz and bitches when you aint got none

Mar 7, 2004
i listen to music that sounds good to my ears and thats why i dont diss mainstream music. its pop for a reason. i do like the undergound music more and do think they make good music also. but the reason why somone like immortal technique [just an exsampal cause you brought him up] sucks to a mainstream crowd is because he makes crappy music. somone like ghostface or any of these outher rappers need to learn how to make good music. im not saying they're not good they just suck at what there soupsta be good at and that is make music.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
DEVIL'S POET said:
i listen to music that sounds good to my ears and thats why i dont diss mainstream music. its pop for a reason. i do like the undergound music more and do think they make good music also. but the reason why somone like immortal technique [just an exsampal cause you brought him up] sucks to a mainstream crowd is because he makes crappy music. somone like ghostface or any of these outher rappers need to learn how to make good music. im not saying they're not good they just suck at what there soupsta be good at and that is make music.
Good point

I will not say anything new but the reason why PE and KRS were successful in the late 80s while other conscious rappers weren't is that PE had the Bomb Squad behind them and the Bomb Squad delivered fresh, creative and innovative beats so their music was able to get across

It had the message, but it also had the music

While today's rappers like IT and Ghostface make music that is just not good. If you're the inteligent rapper you claim you are, you should be able to realize that and do something about it, i.e make some hits

Feb 27, 2005
ThaG said:
for me the crack music era started with T.I., Jeezy and Dipset a few years ago

And when I say that most of hip-hop sucked around 98-99 I mean that around that time most of the music that was coming out of New York started to suck (Bad Boy, the second round of Wu-affiliated albums wasn't that good, etc.), and gangsta rap got flooded with rappers with no talent and the majority of albums was mediocre. This is a fact, you can not deny it. If your average rap-album around 93-94 had 10 tracks out of which you would feel at least 5 or 6 (at least!) around 99 the average album had 18 tracks with 2 or 3 good ones

For me, personally, the peak of bullshit music was around 2001-2002 when everybody was dropping "thug-ballads" (Ja Rule, Nelly's Dilema, etc.) that sounded like the new Britney Spears single, shit was really terrible around that time and if there's something positive about the crunk/trap/snap/hyphy wave, it is that it got us rid of the corny R&B (well, almost)
ok

Feb 27, 2005
numba1assassin said:
Puff Daddy was the death of hip hop. He is the one who really commercialized rap music after biggie died. I blame all of hip hop's problems on that fag
i do not take side with diddy but u cannot blame him for putting hh to the mainstream level.
Maybe he inspired many Young Black Entrepreneurs to start a legal business, he didnt promote violence and drugz contrary to many rappers.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Cante-up said:
i do not take side with diddy but u cannot blame him for putting hh to the mainstream level.
Maybe he inspired many Young Black Entrepreneurs to start a legal business, he didnt promote violence and drugz contrary to many rappers.
violence and drugs did not kill hip-hop, they were around in early to mid 90s when hip-hop was well and alive

it is the desire to go mainstream and sell a lot that killed hip-hop and Diddy was a major factor in promoting that kind of mentality

Death Row were selling a lot but they weren't making commercial music, it was just good enough to sell

After Biggie died Bad Boy went straight pop and it sold so much that everybody followed. This where all the problems starts and BTW Bad Boy and other New York rappers first introduced the bling

Again, it is not the "I'll rap about crack" that kills hip-hop, it is the "I'll rap about whatever sells right now"

Feb 17, 2006
DEVIL'S POET said:
but the reason why somone like immortal technique [just an exsampal cause you brought him up] sucks to a mainstream crowd is because he makes crappy music.
the reason IT sucks to a mainstream crowd is because he makes different music. it's not the same southern beat with that bass-heavy lil jon whistle/keyboard wannabe shit.

it actually takes talent to make an immortal technique beat because he's been known to use *gasp* real drums instead of a machine

i dont want to get into some shit about it, but i'm just sayin that i prefer to listen to a wide range of music from the underground (i get something i want from IT, i get something else i want from tech n9ne, i get something else i want from k-rino...and so on)

Jun 2, 2005
What's killing hip hop, is the oversaturation of the market. Everybody and yo mama is rapping or producing these days. I remember when rapping was something only a select few people could do, now they just generate the beat in a way as to anyone can rap these days. That's fucking the game, when you go into the record store you don't know whose sh*t to buy, because they all look the same and sound the same. Even when you find someone that sounds different you will listen to it for a while, and then go looking for something else fresh, new and innovative and you hear the same bullshit, everybody was or is moving weight, everybody's wrist and neck are froze, everyone is a pimp, everyone is a killer, everyone is a rapper/actor/record company owner/businessman... Also there used to be different genres of rap, now it's all been grouped in to one genre called hip hop....Hip Hop is not gangsta rap, Hip Hop is not baller rap, Hip Hop is not Murder rap...If Hip Hop is dead, it's because Rap killed it!!!! Hip Hop can be seen as a form of rapping not rap as a whole, because if one type of rap stops selling like now, then it's viewed as hip hop is dying as a whole...