Is "snap music" the death of hip-hop?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 31, 2006
Examples Of Snap Music

# "Everytime Tha Beat Drop" by Monica w/ Dem Franchize Boyz (3:43)
# "Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It" by Dem Franchize Boyz (3:51)
# "Betcha Can't Do It Like Me" by D4L (3:09)
# "Laffy Taffy" by D4L
# "Snap Yo Fingers" by Lil' Jon w/ E-40, Sean Paul (Youngbloodz) (4:34)
# "It's Goin' Down" by Yung Joc (4:01)
# "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')" by T-Pain w/ Yung Joc (3:52)
# "Walk It Out " by UNK
# "2 Step" by UNK

Rapper Ghostface Killah of the Wu-Tang Clan has blamed snap music for what he believes is the death of hip hop.

Furthermore, D4L, as pioneers of the snap music genre, they have come under (and retaliated to) scrutiny from purists within the hip-hop community, who feel that D4L (and other snap artists, such as Dem Franchise Boyz) have brought an undesirable simplicity and vapidity to the reputation of hip-hop as a whole. Many feel as if snap music has destroyed the rap genre.

Feb 17, 2006
true hip hop isn't dead and will never be dead. it's just not in the mainstream.

snap music isn't hip hop and can't kill hip hop...it can damage sales of hip hop by not letting people hear anything outside of that bullshit, but it only unites underground hip hop musicians to be against something

that said, i am getting sick of people complaining about the terrible crap that's on the radio no matter how much i agree with them

no matter how bad snap music is, it can never kill hip hop music, but it does damage the culture. instead of youths being interested in what's going on in the world and using activism to come together, they want to use money, clubs, dubs, and chains to group themselves together

snap music is to hip hop what emo music is to punk rock...it's a fucking fad that wont last as long as hip hop

Feb 8, 2003
Mofo need to get outta here with that Hip Hop dead shit. Niggas just mad bc they albums not selling so they blame it on hip hop being dead. Rap/Hip Hop music is alive and well its just a new era which means new rules, new sounds and new money thats all.

If yall havent noticed by now its all the washed up artists and one hit wonders who say hip hop is dead.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
no, it's not

there's been terrible commercial songs in every genre

I would distinguish between snap music as a subgenre of hip-hop and weak snap music as some of the tracks you listed (yeah, Fabo is terrible but Betcha Can't Do It Like Me is a pretty good track IMO and if it wasn't for Laffy Taffy a lot of people would not hate D4L)

I see nothing wrong with snap music musically, it has fresh beats and it brought something new and innovative; yes, it is simple, but most of mid-80s rap with the skeletal beats isn't particularly complex either

Anyway, you can't blame snap music for weak lyrics when hyphy rappers, trap rappers, crunk rappers, and even New York rappers also have weak lyrics and everybody raps about bitches and money

I would rather blame Bad Boy, Roc-A-Fella and G-Unit for the death of hip-hop

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Cesolito #1 said:
Mofo need to get outta here with that Hip Hop dead shit. Niggas just mad bc they albums not selling so they blame it on hip hop being dead. Rap/Hip Hop music is alive and well its just a new era which means new rules and new money thats all.

If yall havent noticed by now its all the washed up artists and one hit wonders who say hip hop is dead.
Good point

And I am one of those who are not happy at all with the quality of hip-hop today...

Sep 17, 2005
ThaG said:
no, it's not

there's been terrible commercial songs in every genre

I would distinguish between snap music as a subgenre of hip-hop and weak snap music as some of the tracks you listed (yeah, Fabo is terrible but Betcha Can't Do It Like Me is a pretty good track IMO and if it wasn't for Laffy Taffy a lot of people would not hate D4L)

I see nothing wrong with snap music musically, it has fresh beats and it brought something new and innovative; yes, it is simple, but most of mid-80s rap with the skeletal beats isn't particularly complex either

Anyway, you can't blame snap music for weak lyrics when hyphy rappers, trap rappers, crunk rappers, and even New York rappers also have weak lyrics and everybody raps about bitches and money

I would rather blame Bad Boy, Roc-A-Fella and G-Unit for the death of hip-hop
Yup them hoes killed of gangsta rap in like 99 wit all that wave your bottles in the air, dancin in their videos, makin half ass rap/R&B songs every week. I wouldnt say they killed hip hop but definitely ended gangsta rap. That shit was so weak I stopped listenin to rap for like 2 years cuz that bullshit was everywhere. Ja Rule/DMX/Rocafella/So So Def/Bad Boy.

Feb 11, 2006
nobody blamed miami bass back in the day. it was just good party music. like snap today. that hip hop is dead is an invention of the industry to sell back pack hip hop :D

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
I have no idea what snap music is, let alone know if it is killing hip hop. I buy CD's based off word of mouth and by listening to samples. I dont watch MTV and BET to get my music fixes or to see what is coming out since all they play garbage 95% of the time. I was watching TV at a friends house and his sister was watching BEt and htere as this song about chapstick....no lip gloss. I was like WTF is this shit. Do they just hand out record deals now?

I have bought more CD's off word of mouth generated on this website, than I have by watching TV or listening to the radio. But hip hop will never die. That garbage is just a different part of the culture. Doesnt mean I have to listen to it or support it

Feb 21, 2006
Cesolito #1 said:
Mofo need to get outta here with that Hip Hop dead shit. Niggas just mad bc they albums not selling so they blame it on hip hop being dead. Rap/Hip Hop music is alive and well its just a new era which means new rules, new sounds and new money thats all.

hip hop is dead. ive been listening to hip hop since the late 80's wid the b-boy era. then started getting into the MC's like Run DMC, KRS-1, EPMD, Wu-Tang, Jay-Z, Biggie and Nas. Then when the westcoast hit it was NWA, MC Eight, DPG, 2pac, RBL, E-40, Mac Dre, Spice 1. Now compare those niggaz to the way niggaz rap now. When they say hip hop is dead, they mean the way real hip hop MC's get down on the mic from a lyrical standpoint and a message getting across (ie. westcoast gangsta rap. NWA expressing what really goes down in the streets of LA). Nowadays you just hear niggaz rappin bout how they came up, i got more money,hoes and whips than you with a bigger house. talkin bout snappin fingers and why they hot. coming wit metaphors that sounds like a 3rd grader came up with. now i aint trying to single them out. im talkin bout MOST of the hyphy shit coming out. (ie. Ghost Ride It)

Apr 20, 2005
I might the snap music at all. As long as they dont play the same shit all the time.

I know this is a gangsta rap website. What would yall really wanna hear in the club? A rapper talkin about blowin wigs off and gangbangin on another OR simply just partyin and havin fun. If it werent for that south movement what do yall think would be playin in the club right now? I'd pick that south/snap shit over that Rocafella/P Diddy movement that was goin on.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
If your sales figures are plummeting because of Snap Music, then chances are your career/music was already shit to begin with. People just didn't have an alternative.

Hip-Hop is not dead, or in decline, or anything else. Hip-Hop is the most dynamic and original form of music ever invented, PERIOD, so it makes sense it would change so much from the "original".

Feb 27, 2005
ThaG said:
not really

IMO the majority of hip-hop already sucked around 98-99

that's long before the crack music era
1)What do u got in mind when u say that >

"the majority of hip-hop already sucked around 98-99"

2) for you who started the crack musik era?the DIPSET?