is seattle a joke?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
YoungVicious said:
How does the crime reputation of your city have anything to do with how real you are? "Every neighborhood got a trigga happy nigga...who dont give a fuck about puttin two in ya liver" ~ Celly Cel
I see all the Seattle cats expressing this same sentiment, but I do think the two concepts are related. Like I have said before, I get laughed at in this part of the country b/c people can't see how gansget rap music could come from Seattle b/c of its crime reputation. This leads to them going into music I play for them w/ a closed mind in which they'll never give it a chance. It is unfortunate but I do think the two are related.

Nov 22, 2004
Seattle has gotten way worse since the 80's and since i've moved away from there. I mean there was a Desciple gang in Seattle that started with 20 members than in a yr jumped to like 2,000 or 20,000 it was on of those two. I have been told by this guy who studies gangs for a living, says there is over 2,000 gangs in Seattle. Seattle is a kind of city that tries to keep a lot of the murders out of the papers, don't get me wrong they put a few but they don't want Seattle looking like LA or SF. Everybody looks at Seattle as the nice quiet white rich man's place and the people in Seattle want to keep it that way. So yes there are gangs and yes there are a lot of murders. For last like D-Sane said you must of not been to the real hoods in Seattle.

Nov 22, 2004
I mean when I lived in Central District there were a few murders there and there that never made the paper or news. So I believe most of these people on here claiming they from the so-called hood in WA are fake. I don't glorify it, I just wanted to state the truth.

Oct 26, 2004
Is seattle a joke?

SickandFoul said:
I mean when I lived in Central District there were a few murders there and there that never made the paper or news. So I believe most of these people on here claiming they from the so-called hood in WA are fake. I don't glorify it, I just wanted to state the truth.

Better yet said, let them same fools visit the twomp o six. Come visit with a closed mind, and see if they don't get sent home in a bag, or cardboard box. This is from coming from a female who has lived in Seattle for 25 years. I don't bang, but I have hustled, and ran with local gang members. I have been to over 20 funerals all from local peers, homies and people that I have known. All have been murdered or killed by gun violence. So don't say is " SEATTLE A JOKE" hell no. It is nothing to brag about either. Like I said before it be those out of towners that aint even knowin' that HOOVA DID IT. And again this is coming from a single mother, born and raised in the 206. Let the rappers talk about what they want. I know it is real, and furhter more there is nothing to prove. My cousin was killed in 1997. (Vendell) his story was covered for maybe two days. Being black, you don't get much news coverage, and so that is why you may not hear about the high death rate we have. But it is UNQUESTIONABLY THERE!!

So my message to all you haters of the great 20 sickness, don't take my city for granted, cause we aint no punks, and we aint neva scurred. Come through the hood and be spraying that shit and catch a hot one!
And that is what's up!

Aug 23, 2004
okay so from whaat im hearing seattle does have gangster areas. alright sorry guys i wasnt trying to get my ass shot over some internet post. i just seemed like some of the artists were glorifying some thing that didint exsist. why dont u just delete the post and wont make your city look so bad. peace

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
206thugin said:
why dont u just delete the post and wont make your city look so bad. peace
Trust me,your post don't make Seattle look bad.Anyone around Holly,Union,Rainier,Delridge,High Point,Skyway,Henderson,Yesler,Horton,Cherry,White Center,and South Park have never felt this post in the first place.

Oct 26, 2004
Jae Reekay said:
2006?Whats that?You talkin bout time travel???

See there it is again, some one speakin on something they know nothing about. twomp o six is a term meaning for 206 my area code my city that I rep. And this post does not make my city look bad in the least of ways it was just started by a hater that swears slr is rappin about shit our city does not represent which is all so untrue. YOU DON'T LIVE THROUGH THE RAPPERS EYES. (Everyone sees shit differently, so spend a day in their shoes) And walk the talk.

Aug 20, 2004
Shasta said:
See there it is again, some one speakin on something they know nothing about. twomp o six is a term meaning for 206 my area code my city that I rep..
LOL...did you read where im from?Emerald City=Seattle...Evergreen State=Washington...OH BOY!!!Ya learn somethin new everyday huh...

Heres another one for ya...area codes dont consist of 4 numbers...sayin twomp O six...is sayin 2006...see,twomp means 20...and O means...zero...and six means..well i know you can figure that one out...so twomp 0 six actually means 2006...

Twomp 6 is the proper slang term for OUR area code...

Oct 26, 2004
Jae Reekay said:
LOL...did you read where im from?Emerald City=Seattle...Evergreen State=Washington...OH BOY!!!Ya learn somethin new everyday huh...

Heres another one for ya...area codes dont consist of 4 numbers...sayin twomp O six...is sayin 2006...see,twomp means 20...and O means...zero...and six means..well i know you can figure that one out...so twomp 0 six actually means 2006...

Twomp 6 is the proper slang term for OUR area code...

It means what I want it to mean. Punk. And I don't care that your from the same state that I am from. Duh I can read.

Aug 20, 2004
Shasta said:
See there it is again, some one speakin on something they know nothing about. twomp o six is a term meaning for 206 my area code my city that I rep. .
You typed this right?Were you NOT referring to me?OK then...dont get smart cus you got schooled...

Apr 25, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
The bottom line... There's some truth in these posts but a lot of exaggeration.
^^^
Yep this is how the rest of the country feels guys and it could be a window into realizing why this guy feels gangster rap from Seattle won't ever work nationally regardless of how good the music is.

Apr 25, 2002
^^ Bingo. Image is everything and Seattle simply doesn't, and never will (no matter how hard people try) be regarded as some hardcore gangsta gangsta murder killa city.

If you search the national crime index, you'll see that Seattle is ranked 183rd of U.S. cities for the murder/homocide rates. According to the numbers, which means the number of reported murders & homocides, Yakima, Longview, Olympia, Wenatchee, Bellingham, Spokane, Silverdale and Pasco all rank higher than Seattle.

So like I've already said... There's some truth in these posts but a lot of exaggeration. Don't believe the hype.

Apr 25, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
^^ Bingo. Image is everything and Seattle simply doesn't, and never will (no matter how hard people try) be regarded as some hardcore gangsta gangsta murder killa city.

If you search the national crime index, you'll see that Seattle is ranked 183rd of U.S. cities for the murder/homocide rates. According to the numbers, which means the number of reported murders & homocides, Yakima, Longview, Olympia, Wenatchee, Bellingham, Spokane, Silverdale and Pasco all rank higher than Seattle.

So like I've already said... There's some truth in these posts but a lot of exaggeration. Don't believe the hype.
So in otherwords the guy who started this post is right, everybody else who jumped on him is wrong.

Me personally I do agree w/ the objective statistical approach to a certain degree.

HOWEVER, these statistics are not simple (as we've all found out from this thread) as evidenced by the fact that LA and NYC both have lower crime rates than Seattle according to the Morgan Quitno Crime Rankings (which are obviously done on a per capita basis). So what does that mean? And there are lots and lots of cities on the Top 25 of those rankings w/out a socalled gangster image (i.e. the city I am in now, Minneapolis). So this is all part truth part image.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Seattle AIN'T hard.Those area's above are.If you grew up in Madison Park,and daddy drives a new BMW,you'll never understand.

It's all neighborhood.

I'm a mile from the projects,and a mile from the beach.....hard to put them in the same category "statistically".

lol@Jesse COMEDY

Apr 25, 2002
BAMMER said:
Seattle AIN'T hard.Those area's above are.If you grew up in Madison Park,and daddy drives a new BMW,you'll never understand.

It's all neighborhood.

I'm a mile from the projects,and a mile from the beach.....hard to put them in the same category "statistically".

lol@Jesse COMEDY
Yep i would agree w/ all that. Good points.

Nobody's said anything about Seattle on here that's really taught me anything, the reason this is being discussed is because some people (i.e. Sick Wid It and sort of myself, I'm not really sure) think that the imagability of "Thug Seattle" "Gangsta Seattle" whatever the hell you want to call it limits the potential of sales of gangsta rap albums .

That's why this is a problem and why it's being discussed, the notion that no matter how outstanding music such as SLR is, it wont ever blow up nationally b/c people (fans and industry people) have these preconceived notions (based partly on fact) about Seattle.

It's about the music not the hoods.