is seattle a joke?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 23, 2004
i dont really see why slr is around. i am from seattle and there is some ghetto areas like rainer and shit but theres like harly any gangs or shit like that. we have like 20 murders yearly.. how is that a ganster city when citys like clevland have way more gang activity and there population is hella smaller. im sure seattle has some shit going on but i dont think its gangster at all. plus "gangsters" at least real ones are usually thought of as african americans like the crips and bloods etc. seattle is a primarily white city with maybe.. 8 percent black.. i dunno maybe im wrong but if this were a " hard city" im sure there would be some poplulr shit coming out of the 206

Apr 25, 2002
I do understand what you're saying bro, especially b/c I now live in the Midwest which really is a hell of a lot more gangster than the 206.

Couple things:

1) I think rap music has evolved to the point where it doesn't matter how gangster the place they come from is, what race they are, etc. It is 100% all about the music. If a guy was rapping about pink bunny rabbits and it sounded hot I would bump it. The best producer from our area is a white guy who grew up in one of the northern suburbs.

2) You're simplifying the geography and crime scene in Seattle. I am a geographer and I am also very interested in crime data. Unlike a lot of cities, some of the more "ghetto, hard areas" are actually located outside the city limits of Seattle, whereas in other cities you see a couple rough areas within the city but outside the city it's ALL safe. Not the case here, I don't mean to give some areas a bad name but places like White Center, Tukwila, Sea-Tac, Burien, Skyway and others are outside the city of Seattle but have a crime index of over 100 (the national average). You don't see this model in other cities. Furthermore, the Seattle-Tacoma area is among the nation's leaders in car thefts (if that makes you feel better?). Washington State is #15 nationally out of 51 (including the District of Columbia) in crime. Outlying areas and cities like Tacoma and Yakima help Seattle bring this up.

As for race and its connection to crime, you're right about Seattle not being nearly as black as cities further east. But Seattle does have essentially the same percent black and crime rates as cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and Long Beach, all cities who have been telling the world how black and how gangster they are for 10, 15 years. And besides, I think everybody on here will tell you that atleast in our city, the face of criminals is of all different races. And even the simple question of race isn't perfectly clear here, 1 out of 4 babies born is of more than one race. Lots and lots of people around here are mixed man. BTW, Seattle does have a higher per capita crime rate than New York City. Generally it ranks among the middle of cities in this category.

3) I agree, even if Seattle aint gangster and even if the rappers are saying it is (therefore lying), I don't think it makes them that much different than people from other cities. Do you honestly believe that every punk you see on BET or hear on the radio has lived the life they talk about? I don't care if they are from the most gangster city in the country (aka Detroit by most quantitative accounts), they are not necessarily telling the truth. People are catching on to this, as D-Sane was saying the other day, 'realness' is a big concern that is why he's trying hard with the Crytical album to make it appear as authentic as possible, and I do believe him when he says Crytical's story is authentic.

So above all this gibberish I have typed, bottom line is that a) Seattle is not a hard city but it's also not a soft city b) your geography is pretty much correct about the city of Seattle but is shortsighted b/c it doesn't bother to compare Seattle to its surrounding Metro Areas and other cities that have through rap music, achieved so-called gangster credibility and C) even if it was the softest city in the country it wouldn't matter b/c EVERYBODY lies

BOTTOM LINE : It's 100% about the music

Oct 10, 2003
Ya'll got me rolling on the floor yo,do u hear what ya'll are saying?

This is more Gangta than that,fuck that,i rather have a place without shooting and robbery's and what not.
Get to live a life fully

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
BAMMER said:
Welcome back to the board C-Ron.
Damn BamBam.....you read my mind!

And for the record.....I didn't totally "grow up" in North Seattle/Shoreline. I moved to Burien when I was 11 and then to Las Vegas where I lived in the hood (which is where I got corrupted) until I was 16. Then I came back to Seattle and lived in North Seattle, Kent, U-District, Shoreline, Tacoma (Eastside & Hilltop), Lynnwood and all point in between. And in the midst of all that I spent alot of that time runnin' Aurora Avenue and kickin' it in the Central District & the Southend.

I dunno who this fucktard is....but I know for sure that he ain't been anywhere near any Seattle hoods. Because those of us that know.....know this clown is an idiot.

I'm thinkin' the best part of this fool ran down the crack of his mama's ass.

Aug 20, 2004
206thugin said:
i dont really see why slr is around. i am from seattle and there is some ghetto areas like rainer and shit but theres like harly any gangs or shit like that. we have like 20 murders yearly.. how is that a ganster city when citys like clevland have way more gang activity and there population is hella smaller. im sure seattle has some shit going on but i dont think its gangster at all. plus "gangsters" at least real ones are usually thought of as african americans like the crips and bloods etc. seattle is a primarily white city with maybe.. 8 percent black.. i dunno maybe im wrong but if this were a " hard city" im sure there would be some poplulr shit coming out of the 206
Well,thats what happens when you live in Magnolia...come down to Southpark or The Vista...and youll see how hood it really is square bear....if you dont like the town..raise the fuck up on out...we dont need lames makin the town look bad anyways...kick rocks sucka...

Apr 25, 2002
i dont care about anything except the fact that he is criticizing the seattle hip hop scene for portrayin or sayin gangsta shit when his name is 206thugin..lmao thats some funny style shit..what a flaming cheeto

YOUNGNUTT

I'm so O.C.
Jul 9, 2002
Santa Ana to Long Beach
206thugin said:

DAMN, HAHA...

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. D-Sane said:
And for the record.....I didn't totally "grow up" in North Seattle/Shoreline. I moved to Burien when I was 11 and then to Las Vegas where I lived in the hood (which is where I got corrupted) until I was 16. Then I came back to Seattle and lived in North Seattle, Kent, U-District, Shoreline, Tacoma (Eastside & Hilltop), Lynnwood and all point in between. And in the midst of all that I spent alot of that time runnin' Aurora Avenue and kickin' it in the Central District & the Southend.

QUOTE]

Damn I didn't know, That's a lot of places. i'm glad you decide to hold it down for Seattle area rather than Vegas.

Apr 25, 2002
This guy 206Thuggin is a fucktard like you'all are saying, but I still think he is raising some interesting questions and a lot of his facts are correct. But yeah, he is definitely simplifying the whole thing.

Oct 5, 2004
perfectly put...
Jae Reekay said:
Well,thats what happens when you live in Magnolia...come down to Southpark or The Vista...and youll see how hood it really is square bear....if you dont like the town..raise the fuck up on out...we dont need lames makin the town look bad anyways...kick rocks sucka...

Aug 14, 2003
I'M SAYIN, THIS DUDE HAS NO IDEA WHAT THE FUCK HE'S TALKIN ABOUT, HE OBVIOUSLY AIN'T NO THUG. COME TO SOUTH, GO TO THE DISTRICT AND START POPPIN THAT SHIT OFF AND SEE WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENS.

Oct 26, 2004
Seattle

206thugin said:

I KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT STATING FACTS, I AM FROM THE HOOD I CAN MENTION A FEW ONE MOSTLY KNOWN 44 HOLLY BLOCK HOOVA'S. SO WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT PART CAUSE I STAY SOUTHBOUND BABY AND THE 20 MURDERS A YEAR THAT AINT SHIT TO BRAG ABOUT. WE GOT GANGSTA'S YOU MUST DON'T KNOW THEM. THE ONES I KNOW I DONE SEEN PUT IN WORK SO THIS IS FROM YOUR PUNK ASS POINT OF VIEW. DON'T PLAY I KNOW A DUDE THAT CAME FROM CHICAGO AND GOT POPPED. DON'T MAKE IT SEEM LIKE OUR CITY AINT GANGSTA IT IS TO A CERTAIN EXTINCT YOU'LL HAVE FOOLS THINKING ONE WAY AND COME UP HERE AND GET POPPED!