Is it Possible to Conceptualize Another Dimension?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BEAR

Sicc OG
Dec 15, 2007
so when you say celestial bodies are you referring to galaxies?
Galaxies, Clusters and Superclusters. Large objects.

if so then can it be possible that only the celestial bodies are moving around/in the universe and not that the universe is expanding?
The fact that they move away from eachother suggests expansion. Like chocolate chips in a baking cookie (better example than pancake mix.) Although this cannot be directly proven through observation, it is widely accepted.

and when you say the universe is thought to have borders in others words it's a hypothesis or has it been proven that there are borders?
This is difficult to understand. Keep in mind that space is not a perfect vacuum. There is a miniscule amount of matter scattered about. Consider an interstellar cloud. Each molecule in the universe has a gravitational and electromagnetic attraction to every other. The loosley packed particles collect tighter and tighter. After a core is formed, the outter material orbits the interior. Each orbit has a deterioration, in other words, it is slowly falling. This further compacts the interior. Picture a ball of play-doe. If you roll it inbetween your hands without changing the axis, it will be round, but flattened on the edges. Eventually, gravity wins the battle and all the matter comes together. The nuclear interactions cause the gases to ignite, giving birth to a star.

Galaxies work in the same way on a grander scale. As do clusters of galaxies, and superclusters, clusters of clusters. The universe is believed to work the same way, with outward limits. The scale is so large that it is hard to imagine.

if so then what is the universe expanding into?
The expanding universe is similar to a supernova. An exploding star can be seen as a small version of the big bang. The highly compacted matter results in an explosion which expells its contents to the surrounding area. The universe is thought so be expanding in this same way, that of an outward explosion.

and if our universe is expanding then we can assume that parallel universes (if they exist) are expanding also right?
If the universe in question still has inertia from the explosion that created it, then yes.

then would our universe eventually merge with pararllel ones?
A collision of two universes would hold unknown circumstances that we cannot fully account for. It is possible that universes are also moving away from each other. It may also be possible that a crash would create an immense explosion, or some kind of merge involving extra dimmensions.

haha i forgot about the whole mass can't be created or destroyed but what i find interesting is conciousness and what not and how the brain can send us to different realities and stuff like that and can make it seem so freaking real like dreams, certain drugs, meditation all that jazz...well since mass is recycled what happens to conciousness? or is conciousness and all that just a side-effect/anomaly of the universe/life?
Consciousness can be an exclusive trait to certain living beings. The fact that a dolphin can recognize its own reflection suggests some level of consciousness in, at the very least, the more intelligent animals. Honestly, no one knows if it will carry on after life.
:)

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
I believe that heaven will also allow our human bodies to exist in all 10 dimensions. I also believe humans will never get to experience any of the other dimensions without going to heaven.

Sep 25, 2005
Good examples of quantum theory. I think the closest I've ever come to actually understanding the concept of infinity is when using psychedelic drugs, namely salvia divinorum. It is one thing to talk about the concept of infinity, but another to be on the brink of experiencing it, bending or suspending time.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I believe that heaven will also allow our human bodies to exist in all 10 dimensions. I also believe humans will never get to experience any of the other dimensions without going to heaven.
where do you come up with these insane thoughts? serious man, I was not trying to dog your earlier comments but this takes the cake.

1st it is very small minded to think " human " is the only being/race/creature in this infinite universe, and in these infinite universes they all worship Jesus/allah/Buddah, and have same morals and belief to take them to your heaven. We're talking about a bigger picture then what some men wrote 3000 years ago

2nd Do you wanna truly argue that your gonna travel around in Human Body? I think the inner workings of our brain will open doors. Universe is energy, humans are energy, what is an atom made of? Energy. What never dies Energy. You most likely will die, become energy in the universe. Will you be distributed? held in tack? have consciousness? I don't know? Will you be floating around dimensions as a human: Hell no!

I guess if we could invent away of separating every atom in our body, and send it light speed, and then able to put those next to infinite atoms back together we start to scratch the surface.

EDIT: on the drug comments 100% agree. If you have the balls to do a full blown Mesuline, Shroom, Acid or Salvia trip you will see our world can be in alter'd states, w/o feeling alter'd as if you are a part of the world, and connected to bigger picture.

Jun 17, 2004
IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN BY DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS??...I MEAN CAN A DIMENSION BE A POINT OF VIEW PRESPECTIVE...
Close, you're thinking in the right direction. This is actually what Einstein's "special relativity" is all about. Point of view of observer and relative perspective. And yes it has a lot to do with quantum physics and all these multiple dimension theories. I posted a long time ago a thread about the phenomena of Time Dilation and experiments based on Einstein's special relativity, heres the link, the thread has all sorts of info...

Time Dilation Thread

It's difficult for most people to jump straight into multiple dimension theories. But understanding Einstein's "special relativity" definitely helps in understanding quantum physics and multi-dimensional theories.

BTW i haven't been on here or posted in about a year, damn

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
Close, you're thinking in the right direction. This is actually what Einstein's "special relativity" is all about. Point of view of observer and relative perspective. And yes it has a lot to do with quantum physics and all these multiple dimension theories. I posted a long time ago a thread about the phenomena of Time Dilation and experiments based on Einstein's special relativity, heres the link, the thread has all sorts of info...

Time Dilation Thread

It's difficult for most people to jump straight into multiple dimension theories. But understanding Einstein's "special relativity" definitely helps in understanding quantum physics and multi-dimensional theories.

BTW i haven't been on here or posted in about a year, damn
I believe that energy is our souls and that some where in these dimensions a heaven and a hell exists. God said that when we die we will have a new body and think the body he is talking about is a body that is capable of existing in these different dimensions.

Feb 17, 2005
WELL, I WAS THINKING LIKE THE TERM THEY SAY IS "PUT YOURSELF IN SOMEBODY ELSES SHOES"...SO YOU ARE ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING THROUGH WHETHER IT BE ON THE BBALL COURT, OR IN LIFE...

I WAS THINKING THAT THIS DOESNT HAVE TO BE WITH OTHER HUMANS EITHER, YOU CAN ENVISION YOURSELF IN THE SHOES OF ANIMALS...LIKE WHEN I SEE A BIRD FLYING IN THE SKY, I CAN ENVISION MYSELF BEING THAT BIRD AND FLOATING IN THE SKY

BUT IT IS ALL IN THE MIND...MAYBE THE MIND HAS SOME EXTRA DIMENSIONS TO IT??...WHO KNOWS...BUT THE FACT THAT HUMANS CAN ENVISION BEING IN SHOES OF OTHER THINGS AND WHAT IT MIGHT FEEL LIKE IS INTERESTING...

when they are talking about dimensions in physics, its not really the same thing as what you are talking about.

the surface of a sheet of paper or the surface of a sphere is 2 dimensions. any point on the surface can be specified by 2 coordinates - (x,y) or latitude and longitude.

space as we perceive it is 3 dimensions. any point in space can be described in a coordinate system with 3 coordinates (x,y,z)

the proposed extra dimensions are incredibly small, thats why we dont notice them. if they are there, we pass through them all the time without noticing. basically, what the extra dimensions mean is that there are more physical paths that can be traveled. a particle could be moving through those dimensions but still stay at one (x,y,z) point in space.

Feb 17, 2005
imaginary numbers are based off of "i" or the square root of negative 1. thats purely a tool to solve hard math problems though i think. the extra dimensions proposed by string theory, etc. would not really be imaginary, they would be real but we are too large to enter them.

and imagination land would be more similar to another membrane floating next to the membrane our universe is on. but i guess if you do enough drugs you can imagine it and experience it in our universe haha.

Jun 17, 2004
The point I was making when telling hyphy that he was close is that relativity (and perception and point of view of observation) play a major role in multiple dimension theories. The main reason being, these theories remain impossible to absolutely prove (or disprove) because it is impossible for us to objectively view our universe, obviously because we ourselves are IN this dimension and we abide by it's laws of physics etc... it's Einstein's "special relativity".

If we could somehow view our universe objectively (from an outside perceptive) then it would be possible to conclude on the multiple dimension theory. But this is impossible.

Feb 17, 2005
^true

the dimensions are probably right around the scale of the Planck length. current microscopes can resolve down to about a thousandth of the size of an atomic nucleus, which is about a million billion times bigger than the Planck length. so there is not much hope for directly observing them.

Aug 15, 2003
Of the SENIC CITY
check this out i was thinking about it one day i think i found another dimension right here listen.

I had a science teacher tell me back in the 7th grade that we are made out of star dust. This may be true so i put it on the back burner and thought about it for what ever years has passed. So now(lately) i'm thinking if we are made out of star dust then maybe that means the whole entire space is inside of us. wouldn't that be counted as another dimension?

Feb 17, 2005
So now(lately) i'm thinking if we are made out of star dust then maybe that means the whole entire space is inside of us. wouldn't that be counted as another dimension?
no. i think when people say that, they are just talking about how all matter is energy and the particles inside everything normal are just like particles of matter that could be in a star or could have exploded out from a star. it doesnt mean the entire universe is inside you.

Mar 9, 2005
and when you say the universe is thought to have borders in others words it's a hypothesis or has it been proven that there are borders? if so then what is the universe expanding into?
You bring up a good point there handbook - I've often pondered that question myself. I often hear scientists refer to 'the edge of the visible universe'. The use the term visible for a reason - because beyond that which we can see, there is still space and matter expanding. The reason we can't see it is because it's moving away from us at faster than light speed (thus the light emitted from stars past this point will never reach us).

But then, is there a boundary? If space is expanding, surely it's populating pre-existing 'space'? There are two concepts which I find difficult to comprehend: one is infinity, and the other is nothingness - ABSOLUTE nothingness. What is space expanding into? Non-existence? And if there is some form of 'space' beyond true space, then is it infinite? A bit of a paradox if you ask me.

and if our universe is expanding then we can assume that parallel universes (if they exist) are expanding also right? then would our universe eventually merge with pararllel ones?
Parallel universes can vary wildly with our current one - our universe will continue expanding forever because there is not enough matter to reverse the process. However, there would be immeasurable parallel universes where the total mass/energy of the singularity was greater than the force propelling such matter (if you 'believe' in the big bang), and these universes would be closed, collapsing into themselves in a 'big crunch'.

And we can never merge with parallel universes - they are on a different plane of existence, like a ghost. The ghost is completely inanimate and cannot interact with anything physical - if you collided with such a ghost, you wouldn't merge with it, rather you'd pass straight through it as though it weren't there.

haha i forgot about the whole mass can't be created or destroyed but what i find interesting is conciousness and what not and how the brain can send us to different realities and stuff like that and can make it seem so freaking real like dreams, certain drugs, meditation all that jazz...well since mass is recycled what happens to conciousness? or is conciousness and all that just a side-effect/anomaly of the universe/life?
Consciousness is simply the highest possible state of negative entropy. It still has to follow thermodynamics though - even the highest consciousness will dissolve eventually.