hurt locker

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 22, 2002
www.siccness.net
I just saw this today. I really liked it and it's lack of a linear story. It follows the soldiers and their experiences and the way it's done made it feel much more authentic than most films out..

What I didn't like is that it seemed completely one-sided..

Dec 26, 2004
Finally finished it. I had to stop in the middle, that 'shaky cam' really got to me. Well it was interesting but not my favorite. IF I would seen it in theatres I could see/feel the suspense but on TV it went slow. Slow but when it got to the bomb scene thats when it got good for me. To look at it to show N get into the soldiers mind N action, yeah it did pretty good.

Nov 20, 2005
i thought the ending was very good. i wish they would have given us a bit of insight about what happened with the other two guys after they did their part in the war.

~k.

Jul 25, 2007
Gotta check this movie out. I just watched a segment on the director who made this movie on 60 minutes. She is actually nominated for best director for an oscar award. Going heads up with James Cameron for Avatar, her ex husband. haha

She was explaining why there wasnt really any plot. Just showing how it is working as a bomb squad member in Iraq and all the shit they go thru. Shaky camera was purposely used to give the audience the feel of being part of the bomb squad team. She was explaining why "war is a drug" and she said that soldiers fiend for that adrenaline rush and when they come back home, they dont get that and its hard to adapt to normal life after witnessing and doing all that shit. Thats why he couldnt really relate to his wife, felt weird picking out a cereal and decided to go back to the warzone instead of raising his son at the end.

They interviewed some retired bomb squad members and they agree to that "War is a drug" quote.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
LOS ANGELES - A producer of the war story "The Hurt Locker" will not be allowed to attend Sunday's Academy Awards because of e-mails he sent urging academy members to vote for his movie, Oscar overseers said Tuesday.

But Nicolas Chartier will receive an Oscar at a later date if "The Hurt Locker" wins best picture.

The executive committee of the producers branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences imposed the penalty on Chartier, who violated Oscar rules that prohibit mailings promoting a film and disparaging another.

Chartier sent an e-mail Feb. 19 to some academy members asking for their support for "The Hurt Locker," "not a "$500 million film" — an obvious reference to blockbuster best-picture contender "Avatar."

Subsequent e-mails, posted by the Los Angeles Times, showed Chartier asking Oscar voters to rank "The Hurt Locker" at No. 1 and "Avatar" at No. 10 among this year's expanded best-picture lineup of 10 films.

Chartier apologized in a subsequent e-mail. "My naivete, ignorance of the rules and plain stupidity as a first-time nominee is not an excuse for this behavior and I strongly regret it," Chartier wrote.

He did not immediately return a call Tuesday from The Associated Press seeking comment on the academy's penalty. Officials at Summit Entertainment, which released "The Hurt Locker," declined to comment.

"Avatar" producer Jon Landau did not immediately return a call for comment.

"The Hurt Locker" and "Avatar" have been at the head of the pack throughout awards season, and they lead the Oscar field with nine nominations each.

"Avatar" won the Golden Globe for best drama, but "The Hurt Locker" has dominated honors from critics and key Hollywood trade groups, including guilds representing directors, writers and producers.

At last month's British Academy Film Awards, "The Hurt Locker" also won out over "Avatar," taking six prizes, including best picture.

Chartier is one of four producers listed on the film's best-picture nomination, along with "Hurt Locker" director Kathryn Bigelow, screenwriter Mark Boal and Greg Shapiro. Bigelow and "Avatar" director James Cameron were married from 1989 to 1991.

The penalty against Chartier does not affect the other three producers, who are free to attend the Oscars.

The academy announced its sanction against Chartier as Oscar balloting closed Tuesday. The producers branch stopped short of the harsher penalty of rescinding Chartier's nomination, which would have kept him from receiving an Oscar statuette if his film won.

Oscar rivalry is fierce, with filmmakers and distributors coveting awards wins both for bragging rights and for the bounce in box-office or DVD revenues an Oscar triumph brings.

The academy keeps a tight rein on awards campaigning, its rules prohibiting "casting a negative or derogatory light on a competing film."

"You would hope it wouldn't have happened," said Tom Sherak, academy president. "It will not cloud what the night is. This was an individual thing that happened. It's been dealt with, and now we're going on to the show."
http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/522-hurt-locker-producer-barred-from-oscars-ap

While I do agree with him on what he said, what a dumbass.

Jan 16, 2006
Everywhere
I was hella tired and didnt get to watch more than the first like 10 minutes or so before i fell asleep. So i definately need to watch it all the way through.

A lot of Soldiers aint feeling this movie though, appearantly.

Mar 18, 2003
I watched this last night and thought it was awesome. I would say it lands in my top few movies of the year. I agree that it lacked an in-depth storyline, but I believe it more than made up for it. In fact, I dont ever recall thinking this during the movie because I was so drawn into what was going on, but looking back it's pretty apparent. Outstanding acting throughout the film.

Question: Those "troops" that they got involved with during the drawn out sniper scene; was it ever clarified who they were exactly? When I saw them I immediately thought to myself they were blackwater, but I dont remember if they ever revealed this.

Only Jeremy Renner stood out.
I thought he did a good job, dont get me wrong, but I thought Anthony Mackie was the standout. I find it hard to believe he didn't at least get a supporting nod for his performance.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
I thought Anthony Mackie was the standout. I find it hard to believe he didn't at least get a supporting nod for his performance.
Anthony Mackie and played his part perfect as well, him and Jeremy Renner worked well on screen together.

I meet Jeremy Renner a couple years ago he was good dude, real down to earth and did not have an ego at all.

Mar 18, 2003
You stay in Modesto? When I was watching the movie last night my lady told me Renner was from Modesto and that her dad met him. Thinking she was bullshitting me I looked it up and sure as shit he was born and raised right here.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
You stay in Modesto? When I was watching the movie last night my lady told me Renner was from Modesto and that her dad met him. Thinking she was bullshitting me I looked it up and sure as shit he was born and raised right here.
Yeah I am born and raised in the MO. I sold appliances a couple years back and he came in a couple times as he was looking to remodel his parents kitchen. I did not even mention shit about who he was ( I did not even recognize him at first ) and just treated him the same as everybody else and cat was nice and respectful did not seem fake or Hollywood at all, so I respect that and he was that way every time he came in.

Sep 29, 2003
Watched this movie last night, with the acceptance that it was just a movie, and was delighted. Great movie......I wouldnt mind if it won best picture; I would rather anything win best picture over Avatar....