hurt locker

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Acting was good in this. I think in general it looked good.

Shaky cam sucks. Plot was strange and seemed to lack direction. I liked that they focused on more than one character, but I think it lacked focus in general. Jumped from character to character and story arch to story arch, but didn’t get anywhere with any of them and as a consequence I didn’t feel invested in any of the characters or really care what happened to any of them. It was too long. Didn’t feel suspense at the parts that should have been suspenseful.

2 out of 5

Feb 14, 2004
pretty decent action flick but lacked any real substance. It's actually kind of insulting to neglect the issues surrounding the occupation of Iraq on a whole, if we are to try to understand the psychological state of the troops, which is the entire goal of the filmmaker. The filmmaker stated war is an addiction, like a drug. Well tell that to the thousands of troops who want to come home and who hated every second while being there.
There are already movies for that. Home of the Brave & Jarhead to name a few. I think the "Hurt Locker" was SUPPOSE to be just about bombs. And like Dabrowski said, "The Hurt Locker is the box where Will keeps the devices that almost killed him", so why would the movie be about anything else other than bombs? Just my two cents. Go ahead and roast me if you want lol

CyrusTheVirus

thats just my ghost
Oct 31, 2002
legendary
It was pretty good. To me it didn't really have a plot. It was just events from the war from a soldiers point of view. I guess the story was to show how soldiers can get institutionalized by the war to the point where they love it.

I'm glad I watched it though

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
9/10

I just watched it and I really could relate to the psychological part of it. Cyrus hit the nail on the head, "I guess the story was to show how soldiers can get institutionalized by the war to the point where they love it."

It also shows over there those cats have an important job and have lifetime experiences most folks won't even touch. When they come home everyone in the U.S. are selfish and take life for granted. It's pretty similar although in a different way of someone coming home from prison after a long stretch. Folks on the outside are unappreciative and spoiled!

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I liked the movie a lot (made my top 10) but I could see how others didn't. My biggest gripe with the movie was lack of storyline. It was just kind of like "well this is what we do out here" and that was it. The acting, cinematography, and action/suspense were all on point though and with a better storyline would have been higher on my list.

Feb 7, 2006
I liked that it wasn't bogged down with a storyline, it was kind of existential in that way and that's how war is. Kathryn is gonna beat her ex-husband James...hurray! I think American children should have to look at experimental film because we are too one track minded... trying to force the literary (plots, etc.) and theatrical (acting, etc.) onto each and every film.

Feb 7, 2006
Acting was good in this. I think in general it looked good.

Shaky cam sucks. Plot was strange and seemed to lack direction. I liked that they focused on more than one character, but I think it lacked focus in general. Jumped from character to character and story arch to story arch, but didn’t get anywhere with any of them and as a consequence I didn’t feel invested in any of the characters or really care what happened to any of them. It was too long. Didn’t feel suspense at the parts that should have been suspenseful.

2 out of 5
That "shaky cam" is called steadicam... used in war movies to get that sort of photojournalist/news on the ground feel.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I liked that it wasn't bogged down with a storyline, it was kind of existential in that way and that's how war is. Kathryn is gonna beat her ex-husband James...hurray! I think American children should have to look at experimental film because we are too one track minded... trying to force the literary (plots, etc.) and theatrical (acting, etc.) onto each and every film.
There are plenty of movies that I like that lack storyline or story direction. This one I just felt hurt from having neither, that's all.

Feb 7, 2006
There are plenty of movies that I like that lack storyline or story direction. This one I just felt hurt from having neither, that's all.
I was talking more to coldblooded, IPIM and the other posters, because I usually see them talk about lack of story, or berate movies based on story. I still can't believe IPIM didn't like No Country for Old Men.

Toro

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2006
www.myspace.com
It was pretty good. To me it didn't really have a plot. It was just events from the war from a soldiers point of view. I guess the story was to show how soldiers can get institutionalized by the war to the point where they love it.

I'm glad I watched it though
I agree, I liked the movie a lot. But I think people who want to watch it need to know first there is no real plot to it, it's not a movie with a actual storyline. It's more of sections out of his life in the military.

Feb 7, 2006

I guess you're right...as well, but the term steadicam is also used. Steadicam is the actual apparatus used to stabilize the camera when an operator is holding it (it's not on a tripod, jib, glide, etc.), so when the camop moves or runs with it it's still called steadicam. Never heard the term shaky cam, we always used steadicam, because most of the time an op can't hand hold most professional film cameras. But thanks for the shaky cam description never seen/heard it before.

Apr 25, 2002
I guess you're right...as well, but the term steadicam is also used. Steadicam is the actual apparatus used to stabilize the camera when an operator is holding it (it's not on a tripod, jib, glide, etc.), so when the camop moves or runs with it it's still called steadicam. Never heard the term shaky cam, we always used steadicam, because most of the time an op can't hand hold most professional film cameras. But thanks for the shaky cam description never seen/heard it before.
Again . . .

Why would some bouncing ass photography be done with steadicam? Steadicam makes it "very smooth shot even when the operator is moving quickly over an uneven surface". There are other camera mounts that can be used by a single camera operator that would allow for the shake, but the purpose of steadicam is to ELIMINATE the shake you are talking about. Putting on a harness with a camera on it does not equal steadicam, but you’d know that if you read the link I provided.

It’s in the name.

Feb 7, 2006
Again . . .

Why would some bouncing ass photography be done with steadicam? Steadicam makes it "very smooth shot even when the operator is moving quickly over an uneven surface". There are other camera mounts that can be used by a single camera operator that would allow for the shake, but the purpose of steadicam is to ELIMINATE the shake you are talking about. Putting on a harness with a camera on it does not equal steadicam, but you’d know that if you read the link I provided.

But it's no surprise you hear multiple names for film techniques and equipment. Again, I am basing this from what I have heard from those on productions.

It’s in the name.
Coldblooded, I'm not talking about what wikipedia says, I'm talking about what I have heard on film sets from camops. and DP's... that's cool if you wanna take wiki's definition but I am going to go with what I have heard from people on set.

But when I get the chance I'm going to ask around cuz those dudes were a little old school and American, not really down with cinema verite, non-hollywood stuff et cetera. Thanks for the link.

Apr 25, 2002
I'm talking about how you used it in this discussion and what not just wikipedia says(copout by the way), but what steadicam says as well.

For the steadicam to do what you are talking about you would have to disable the steadicam. It is a gimbal that isolates the entire structure against angular shakes.

If you are getting shaking you are either using a broken/non-functioning steadicam or you aren't using steadicam. If someone tells you they are using a steadicam and they're getting shaking they are either using a broken/non-functioning steadicam, aren't using steadicam, or don't know what they are talking about/bullshitting you.

Oh and just about every steadicam operator that works in the industry is part of the Steadicam Operators Association so if they aren't odds are they aren't using steadicam.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/steadicam.htm
http://www.steadicam-ops.com/
http://www.garrettcam.com/