How much should Producers Charge?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 2, 2002
www.tatem1.com
Can I get some feedback from my BART family? Now days everybody and they Grandma got a computer and Fruityloops or Reasons. What has the Music Biz come to? Don't get me wrong, if it works and sounds good then run wit it but the question of the day is.............. What do you personally think is a fair price to quote for Tracks to Indie Artist?

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Depends on what the "PRODUCER" is doing. A lot of cats try to come and charge $300 just for a beat when they haven't done shit...and I used to get my shit for $300 per track, that included pre-production, post-production, and producer guidance during recording sessions...shit that real producers should be doing if they want to charge a grip for their services...

In all honesty, cats should be charging $50-$100 per beat if they have a small track record, and should be doin' shit for nothin' if they have NO track record (it takes money to make money, and in this case, making nothing for all kinds of free promotion isn't a bad trade off). Cats with good track records should charge what they feel their music is worth...

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
What ever they feel they their music is worth.

Exactly my thoughts.

You do have to base your pricing on your resume as well. If you have done plenty of hits or songs for major artists and what not, then I assume you'd be more in demand and command more for your music.

Jul 25, 2005
www.robeyee.com
og MS said:
What ever they feel they their music is worth.

Exactly my thoughts.

You do have to base your pricing on your resume as well. If you have done plenty of hits or songs for major artists and what not, then I assume you'd be more in demand and command more for your music.
agreed 100%

Aug 15, 2006
TATEM1

I THINK CATS FEEL YOU NEED TO HAVE PRODUCED SHIT BEFORE FOR CATS THAT ARE SOME WHAT KNOW TO REALLY CHARGE..ME I KNOW YOU BEEN IN THE GAME SO I KNOW YOU GET DOWN AND HAVE FIRE.BUT ALOT OF CATS DONT REALLY BUY THE TRACK THEY BUY THE NAME..OH I GOT A TRACK FROM SO AND SO EVEN IF IT SOUNDS LIKE THE LAST 8 TRACKS CATS BEEN BUMPIN...I THINK ALOT OF PRODUCERS SHOULD NETWORK MORE WITH UP COMING ARTIST..I FYOU THINKN HE HOT FUCK WITH HIM ON GP AND LET HIM SPREAD THE WORD..BUT LIKE THE REST SAID..WHAT EVER YOU FEEL YOUR MUSIC IS WORTH ON THE MONEY TIP...HOLLA WHEN YOU GET TIME ON MY SPACE FAM

Jan 22, 2007
www.myspace.com
Sydal said:
Depends on what the "PRODUCER" is doing. A lot of cats try to come and charge $300 just for a beat when they haven't done shit...and I used to get my shit for $300 per track, that included pre-production, post-production, and producer guidance during recording sessions...shit that real producers should be doing if they want to charge a grip for their services...

In all honesty, cats should be charging $50-$100 per beat if they have a small track record, and should be doin' shit for nothin' if they have NO track record (it takes money to make money, and in this case, making nothing for all kinds of free promotion isn't a bad trade off). Cats with good track records should charge what they feel their music is worth...
I agree 100%! I see a lot of cats charging a grip because they have worked with a few big names! Thats cool, as a consumer you just have to be aware that your not only buying a beat, but your associating yourself indirectly with everyone that producer has worked with! It's not the product you pay for, it's the packaging and experiance of the producer that your buying and the names associated with him!

Jul 2, 2002
www.tatem1.com
Thank you to all of you that responded. All the answers were good and on point. I agree 100 % so far. As far as my production credits goes, I have produced tracks featuring San Quinn, E-40, Yukmouth, Pretty Black, Guce, Rankin Scroo, Kokane, Consious Daughters, Lee Majors, Sean T, Prohoezak, MDash, Kontac, Cellski, JT the Bigga Figga, The Game, BA, Jacka, Hustla, Scoot, Chunk, Diz from the Militia, Al Greenz KWINN 97.7, Spice 1, Pomona Pimpin Young, Money Mont, G.B., Dru Down, Suga T, NCredible and many others. Having said all that, it still amazes me that some Cats ask for tracks and don't even want to pay a couple hundred bucks. I also agree that when you purchase a track from a producer in most cases you are welcomed into a network of artist, ceo, music professionals that have already been established by the producer. Trust me when I say that is added value. There are so many scenerios with this question but there need to be some guidlines for artist and producers to adapt to and that's my main reason for askin this question.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
On point, Tatem1...I think the biggest problem these days is that cats want shit, but aren't willing to give shit. A lot of up and comers think they are superstars and everybody should bow down...lol.

All I know is, as an artist...if a producer or fellow rapper wants a verse for any project, I do it all for the love of music. I don't expect shit in return but my credit...

Jan 30, 2007
it all depends
if you put in good work you can charge more
if youre starting then work for free and get the buzz out
if youre a great hustler then you have some leverage haha

DJ61

Apr 2, 2007
www.myspace.com
nigga you resume is thick...
make niggaz respect you
i would be chargin bout $2500 to $5000

that just my opinion..
if you let niggaz get beats for $100-500
they will always come back to you askin for that same price...probably cheaper..ya dig...

dj 61
its nuthin productions

Sep 18, 2002
www.thejacka.com
In the Bay Area, no one wants to pay over a 1000 for a beat. Outside however, with an artist with an actual budget, its good. I have seen those range from 3-6 racks a beat.

For you local producers, dont expect to make anything. Just get as much notoriety as you can and try to sell your beats outside this area. For those who think there gonna be cashed out as a producer right away, forget about it.

Oct 28, 2003
It's REALLY sad that some of yall think 300.00$ is alot of money for a track. Most real producers with any fucking since would laugh at that amount. If you are a shitty artist don't go searching for the magic beat to save you. And let's just say you do stumble on to a gold mine for fuck it 3,000$ (not 300) and it starts to get you some shows, extra fans and radio play...you will make that money back in no time. You will in the end get what you pay for. So to all the cats talking about tracks costing to much and you want them for free...that is the same thing fans say about the price of your cd as they download it- FOR FREE.

Jun 11, 2006
RealRich said:
You will in the end get what you pay for. So to all the cats talking about tracks costing to much and you want them for free...that is the same thing fans say about the price of your cd as they download it- FOR FREE.
lol, wow, the realest shit i read on bart

Apr 7, 2004
money is a problem in the bay area...and has been for years...niggas is broke out here no matter what they say on they records..but cats don't stack the lil money they do come across....plus I've been a recording engineer and make beats and it's the same ass shit everytime..."oh $50 for that beat(mind you the beat is hot as shit)...but oh..my nigga right here makes beats..let him get on your equiptment and make something way tighter than that" WRONG!!!!!same as space dumb retarded kid beats that still took an hour of more studio time.....plus they barely had enough to pay for the studio time but spent about $100-$150 on treez, pills, coke and whatever else it takes to make they're music sound better than it actually is.....

Apr 7, 2004
I produce and charge 50-100 but I also would give the beat to you for free. But u know theres always a but. Yo shit doesnt actually have to be that hot. I would need to see you out there pushing yo name and your music. If I see you doing that and you are taking every step serious. I will give you a couple beats cause thats going to help me.
I look at it like you out there every day pushing lets say 20 to 30 cds a day. That could be 20 to 30 people a day to peep three of my beatz and be like that shit go or who in the hell is this cat on the boards

Mar 22, 2004
I also think just because you made beats that "featured" big artists aint the same as you selling beats to big artists. It don't hold the same weight in my book. You just sold a beat to a nobody, that paid a Somebody to get on the track. They aint know or even care who made the track 99% of the time.

But yeah, you usually get what you pay for. More experienced producers/beatmakers around here can hit for 300+, but over 1000 is pushin it unless you got major label work steady. I've got a rack or two for a track, but it was from some cats in NY. I
In the end, just get what you can get! Shit, I never turn down money. If all you got is 150-200 bucks, then you get to pick from my "not so hot, only took 20 minutes to make this beat" catalog. and it don't matter if a mothafucka got every keyboard in the world, or Fruityloops, if the shit is hot, it's hot. Trust me, consumers don't give a shit what the beat was made on

Jun 13, 2002
i was just choppin it up wit my Producer, and he was basically sayin the reason alotta producers quit stickin around for the actual recording session, is becuz alotta artists were getting mad at sum producers trynna dictate their sessions and shit, and didnt want em in their like that........And he was also tellin me that givin up tracks for promo. and noteriety aint a bad thing, but doin shit for FREE aint good either, since producers have alotta overhead, and put in alotta time on creating their tracks, so even if its $25, try to get sumthin, lol.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
RealRich said:
It's REALLY sad that some of yall think 300.00$ is alot of money for a track. Most real producers with any fucking since would laugh at that amount. If you are a shitty artist don't go searching for the magic beat to save you. And let's just say you do stumble on to a gold mine for fuck it 3,000$ (not 300) and it starts to get you some shows, extra fans and radio play...you will make that money back in no time. You will in the end get what you pay for. So to all the cats talking about tracks costing to much and you want them for free...that is the same thing fans say about the price of your cd as they download it- FOR FREE.
$300 ain't shit for a track. My point was, cats with NO NAMES try to charge that much for beats and they don't have anything on their records....that's when it's too much for the beat. Producers with an actual resume are worth whatever they charge, as long as the shit slaps. Upcomin' folks need to prove themselves before they demand any kind of money like that. It's just like you won't land a specific position at a large corporation and get the big cash unless you can prove that your work and work ethic is better than the next mans.

When I was droppin $300 a track I was gettin' hooked up...