How long does it take you to make a beat?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

kevp

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2004
Usually I'll know if I'mma keep a track within 10-15 minutes...then I save, build on it for anywhere from a half hour to 2 hours, name it, leave it alone for a couple days...make sure to listen to a wide variety of music in this time, then come back to it with an open mind and finish up...mixing is up in the air sometimes I work on the mix as I'm composing a little, sometimes the sounds I want won't fit together so I have to fuck with my sound selection during mixing etc...

lol

Overall I'll never present something with less that 4 hours overall put into it...

Mar 22, 2004
hella days. I hate most of my shit, until I hear it a billion times and pick the shit out of it apart. go back , change sounds, drums etc.. then mix , then remix, then delete and start all over again...
I got issues. . I aint made a beat i liked in months. .

lopro

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
hella days. I hate most of my shit, until I hear it a billion times and pick the shit out of it apart. go back , change sounds, drums etc.. then mix , then remix, then delete and start all over again...
im hella picky about beats too.. but wen it comes to gettin a beat i like refer to my quoted post.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
i think the creativity comes and goes u get on a roll then u fall off and have to wait till you get back on again at least that's how it is with me

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
My BEST beats take the least amount of time cause shit just flows....When I take days on somethin I usually end up scrapping it.
I would have to agree with this. My boy would come over, we'd make a beat, and then he'd be back a week later to fuck with the same beat. Then a week after that. Finally, I told him, "If you're not diggin' it when you come back the first time, scrap it".

Apr 26, 2006
My BEST beats take the least amount of time cause shit just flows....When I take days on somethin I usually end up scrapping it.
Yup, I'd say that's true. I try not to think too much. I just try to let shit flow. As a matter of fact, for all my beats, I don't think of the melodies or anything ahead of time. All the shit I have ever done has been done on the fly. If I do one or two things that sound good to me, I'll probably build the rest of the beat around that. For example, if I'm using a string patch or Pad patch, then lay down a random chord that sounds good to me, I'd probably keep it and build around that.

Jul 25, 2007
If im sampling some wax it takes me a good hour to search around that one song and chop them up into pieces and put together a melody. After that it doesnt take to long for me to layer up drum pattern.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
It really depends. I can get an idea down in about 15 minutes but to really get everything out and tracked and mixed can take a few hours sometimes. If I'm sampling the process is a lot faster once I've chopped the sample maybe 60 to 90 minutes for everything

May 1, 2003

this is me as well right about now.

Nov 14, 2002
depends on if im forcing myself to make a beat or just feel like makin a beat.sometimes i can can make a beat in about 10 minutes and sometimes i start on a beat and messing with it for hours and its not the same vibe i was going for on some other shit and end up deleting it.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
One man's trash is another man's treasure. We were about to trash a couple beats, but some cats ended up coming through and copping those beats. Those you think are garbo might bring in a little cash.
real talk. i made a typical "chopped and screwed hook" mainstream sounding beat that i thought was nothing special, and was especially uncreateive of me. put it on mybeatshop and some fool bought it. ahahaha. the ones i thought were heat - sat there. lol. i dont sell beats on there no more though.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
real talk. i made a typical "chopped and screwed hook" mainstream sounding beat that i thought was nothing special, and was especially uncreateive of me. put it on mybeatshop and some fool bought it. ahahaha. the ones i thought were heat - sat there. lol. i dont sell beats on there no more though.
Yup, it's a trip. We have some GEMS over here, but cats always go for what we think are booty ass beats.

Apr 26, 2006
lol. Fuck it, keep doing it. It's easy cash for you. I say, take advantage of these silly times. That's why the game is fucked up right now, but I guess you just got to ride with it if you want to make some cash from it.

BTW, I've always wondered, when you sell a beat like that from one of those types of Websites, do customers just simply download that beat and that's it, or do they expect shit to be bounced down and all elements separated for future mixing in the form of a package like .zip file? Like are you selling the idea or selling just the beat? I say if you supply them with a package, that seems a bit more legit. I mean if you just sell the beat and that's it, that's all their getting, the mastering is really just up to them I guess. I just see it as unprofessional or just tacky. I just don't see how one will want to buy a beat from the internet knowing that the quality might not be that great. I wouldn't have trust in no bedroom producer if I was rapper looking for beats. If so, I would have to be there with the beatmaker in the studio to make sure everything gets done to it's best potential. I dunno, whatever, make money off of it.

Nov 14, 2002
One man's trash is another man's treasure. We were about to trash a couple beats, but some cats ended up coming through and copping those beats. Those you think are garbo might bring in a little cash.

i hear you on that.but if i make a beat and dont feel it,im not going to sit there and track it out,eq,compress,reverb then tweek on it.ill just simply delete it.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
lol. Fuck it, keep doing it. It's easy cash for you. I say, take advantage of these silly times. That's why the game is fucked up right now, but I guess you just got to ride with it if you want to make some cash from it.

BTW, I've always wondered, when you sell a beat like that from one of those types of Websites, do customers just simply download that beat and that's it, or do they expect shit to be bounced down and all elements separated for future mixing in the form of a package like .zip file? Like are you selling the idea or selling just the beat? I say if you supply them with a package, that seems a bit more legit. I mean if you just sell the beat and that's it, that's all their getting, the mastering is really just up to them I guess. I just see it as unprofessional or just tacky. I just don't see how one will want to buy a beat from the internet knowing that the quality might not be that great. I wouldn't have trust in no bedroom producer if I was rapper looking for beats. If so, I would have to be there with the beatmaker in the studio to make sure everything gets done to it's best potential. I dunno, whatever, make money off of it.
thats kinda why i stopped selling them on there. its unprofessional. they pay you 2 months after you make the sale so if u made 2 sales in january you have to wait until march 1st to get your money. too long for me...

also i asked dude who run the site if they could let me know whos buying my beats and he said "were working on that feature" that was like 2 years ago... they still dont tell you who buys your beats. i would love to know so maybe i could offer them a deal on some more beats or send them the sounds to track out or at least hear what they did with it. as far as i know when someone buys a beat on there all they get is the 2 track mp3 file i uploaded...

its bullshit thats why i stopped fucking with that site. the other one "rocbattle.com" seems like a scam too they ask for your social security number just to sign up!