How long does it take you to make a beat?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 1, 2003
To get a nice lil concept going, 30 minutes to an hour. That's because I don't take each sound at face value. I'll dig into the patch, turn knobs and tweak some settings to see what else is there. Then to perfect it could take me from anywhere to the end of the day...to the end of the week. Maybe longer if I'm using samples...you gotta come correct with a sample. In the words of Andre3000..."a song is never finished, but at some point it becomes presentable to the public..."

I think I'll put that in my sig.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
It takes me anywhere between a half hour to an hour and a half, depending on my mood. I can usually lay the melody down in 10-15 minutes. The drums take a little longer 'cause I have to find the right kick and snare. After it's all laid out, I format it and then tweak the sounds to my liking.

Apr 26, 2006
About 30mins-2hrs to lay all the ideas down. I personally don't think of melodies in my head or ahead of time. I just sit down and do one or two thing first randomly (like laying down a chord or drumbeat that sounds good to my likings), then build everything else around it. After that, then yes, some melodies start poppin up in my head for what I should do next,...

I'm not much of a sample using guy, but I think when you use samples, your approach is different. Everything you do then will be built around that sample. For example, you use a drumloop, then that might dictate how your going to go about playing your bassline and vice versa. Have a nice piano sample you want to use as the main melody, then that should dictate what key your going to play the bassline in and everything else.

A beat is really never done though because there's always something you can add or take out, music is pretty much limitless. To "finish up" a beat I really like, it would take longer than 2hrs. I've been up like 4-5hrs str8 till the early morning losing track of time when I really get into a beat.

I can look like a sick insomniac in the morning sometimes. lol Family member getting up to take a piss or something early in the morning and see the back of my head with headphones on bobbin to the beat. haha

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
1 hour and a half to make a beat you are proud of?

get oooooooooooooooout

it takes me 3 minutes to come up with the theme and drums, takes me like 8(or more) hours to tweak it, and like 2 -3 days to mix it, usually less cause i dont do too much mixing(not too good at it)

Apr 25, 2002

get oooooooooooooooout

it takes me 3 minutes to come up with the theme and drums, takes me like 8(or more) hours to tweak it, and like 2 -3 days to mix it, usually less cause i dont do too much mixing(not too good at it)
Yea, an hour and a half is about right to put it down and lay it out. Making a beat is nothing, which is why I get pist off when a beat maker calls himself a producer. Everything after the beat is laid out, in my opinion, is production and not part of the beat making process. Mixing, tweaking, etc. takes an ear and is an activity apart from the actual making of the beat.

I always go back and do shit to the beat, but just laying it out doesn't take long at all.

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
Yea, an hour and a half is about right to put it down and lay it out. Making a beat is nothing, which is why I get pist off when a beat maker calls himself a producer. Everything after the beat is laid out, in my opinion, is production and not part of the beat making process. Mixing, tweaking, etc. takes an ear and is an activity apart from the actual making of the beat.

I always go back and do shit to the beat, but just laying it out doesn't take long at all.
not trying too get too technical, how long does it take you to have a beat ready for presentation.. as in showing the beat in its best form for its best potential?

Apr 25, 2002
not trying too get too technical, how long does it take you to have a beat ready for presentation.. as in showing the beat in its best form for its best potential?
I'm a perfectionist. So before I present a beat to an artist, I will work on it for a week (sometimes longer, depending on what's in the beat). Even when I think it's ready, somebody will come through and peep it, and while listening to it I'll say, "Shit, I have to tweak this" or "I should add this". It's a never ending process, and I'm not completely happy with a beat until the vocals are laid over it. That's when I really know what should be done to the track.

Dec 9, 2005
I suck at playing the keys, so when I do come up with something...most of the time its sort of an accident.

But I hardly ever finish a beat in one sitting.

Like, I'll start one...then...move on and work on something else for a little while. Like usually, its like 30 minutes at a time, 4 or 5 times. I don't know. Its not that important to me, so I don't sit there and force myself to do anything. I just like to have fun with it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
damn it depends, latley i've just been putting together 16 bar loops for future mixing and multitracking in other platforms.

on average like an hour or 2 to lay down the basics

Apr 25, 2002
Post a beat up Sydal, no lyrics, just the instrumental.
http://www.myspace.com/sydalproductions

There's two beats up there right now, the rest are recorded songs. I'm still tweaking all the tracks, have to add some warmth and shit to all of 'em. I have about 60 more beats to go through, track out and mix up...when I do that, I will slap some more up on the site.

May 8, 2005
for me it usually takes 30 min to bout an hr and a half to lay down the basics depending on sounds and effects i use. then i usually revisit it a few days later and change things if need be. takes me awhile to mix cuz my syncronization is off and have yet to figure out how to fix it (not too good with the technical stuff). and i'm not too good at mixing so i usually just throw something rough together in a few hrs. i agree with that andre3000 quote cuz i never really feel like anything is ever complete. always room for improvement.

Apr 7, 2006

get oooooooooooooooout

cosign.

Nov 20, 2007
I'm not completely happy with a beat until the vocals are laid over it. That's when I really know what should be done to the track.
i agree wit that. yea sometimes you may not even finish the beat in its entirety until somebody drops somethin on it because the rhythms of that person on the verse or hook may make you think of more stuff or final stuff to add to a beat.

but it takes me 1 month to a month and a half to finish a beat

Apr 5, 2008
It takes me forever to make the beat complete 100%, but if you're just talking about the main sections of the beat and some basic fills (without knowing what lyrics will be there yet), it takes me about 1-2hrs.