How do y'all feel about the L.A. "Jerkin" scene?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 28, 2003
www.twitter.com
ahhh, if it has a 70% bay influence then it must have 50% Crunk influence...........
LOL not at all...I never understood why everybody thought Hyphy had such a strong "Crunk" influence...to me, the bouncy 75 BPM "what you lookin at?" "Get on my level" songs were "Crunk"...but the 105 BPM "Freek a leek" "Whisper song" type of tracks weren't "Crunk" to me, and that's what had the biggest influence.

Aug 17, 2002
i think crunk styles were originally influenced by the bay. but I guess we can can connect the dots forever if we wanted to.

Jerkin is all good except for those jeans man.

Feb 10, 2004
www.twitter.com
All this proves is that there was a market for hyphy (music, everybody knows the lifestyle was always here and never left) and that bay rappers just didn't do enough to find that market. So now you will hear clones of the Pack making what will turn out to be hit records.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
All this proves is that there was a market for hyphy (music, everybody knows the lifestyle was always here and never left) and that bay rappers just didn't do enough to find that market. So now you will hear clones of the Pack making what will turn out to be hit records.
i always said the bay gave up on 'hyphy' waaay too early and made themselves look unsure of their own movement. certain people still do it but i think if everyone woulda followed up on what e40 threw out (to the tv watching masses) and kept it rolling, things woulda been different right now..

in the beginning no one knew how to flip hyphy to their own style...now everyones kinda catchin some ideas..people are figuring out how to incorporate the sound with themselves and running with it...that is all due to the bays creation but unfortunately it coulda been milked for more money than it was worth...it was more likea few people tried the style then gave up on it. or the people who were native to the sound talked down on it, making it look like a fad.

i think dlos tonight show is a 'hyphy' themed album, but theres many negative connontations to that word that makes it seem like i'm being negative or taking away from it, when in reality im just saying the shit slaps hard enough to make people dance stupid.

im glad it still has more legs to move into subcategories..they say one mans trash is another mans treasure..so maybe people adapted to what yall (anyone who talked down on it) didnt want..

Apr 25, 2002
i know ima get hated on cus im "hatin"

Hyphy = Lifestyle. Jerkin = Dance.
im sorry but hyphy aint no lifestyle.thats what all the youngsters say and the older cats who either jumped on the bandwagon or dont want to lose the fan base.if that was the case then 10 years ago "hyphy" woulda been a lifestyle. damn near everything that pertains to hyphy is pretty much after the mellinium.

thats more of a trend then a lifestyle. hip hop is a lifestyle, but it has over 30 years to qualify as such. and probably the main reason the hip hop culture and lifestyle still exists is cus the music is very much alive and bigger then ever.......can you say that about hyphy music? naw...in its short music life, it was at its peak maybe 4 years ago...........

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
ithats more of a trend then a lifestyle. hip hop is a lifestyle, but it has over 30 years to qualify as such. and probably the main reason the hip hop culture and lifestyle still exists is cus the music is very much alive and bigger then ever.......can you say that about hyphy music? naw...in its short music life, it was at its peak maybe 4 years ago...........
thats a bad comparison to make. hyphy is a part of hip hop culture...so hyphy is part of a whole. so in that sense it does qualify as a lifestyle...

May 8, 2008
Hyphy is a lifestyle to a whole lotta of people. It's a state of mind. You can be hyphy without the music. It's the way a nigga acts. Not just dancing and acting stupid. I would consider it a lifestyle, not my lifestyle.....but I know a shit load of cats that represent hyphy from top to bottom.

Dec 13, 2006
im sorry but hyphy aint no lifestyle.thats what all the youngsters say and the older cats who either jumped on the bandwagon or dont want to lose the fan base.if that was the case then 10 years ago "hyphy" woulda been a lifestyle. damn near everything that pertains to hyphy is pretty much after the mellinium.

thats more of a trend then a lifestyle. hip hop is a lifestyle, but it has over 30 years to qualify as such. and probably the main reason the hip hop culture and lifestyle still exists is cus the music is very much alive and bigger then ever.......can you say that about hyphy music? naw...in its short music life, it was at its peak maybe 4 years ago...........
u dont know what u talkin about hyphy pretty much was a lifestyle 10 years ago but it was more on sum hood shit but its town biz and i dont think u from there so its kinda hard to understand from the outside lookin in

Apr 25, 2002
u dont know what u talkin about hyphy pretty much was a lifestyle 10 years ago but it was more on sum hood shit but its town biz and i dont think u from there so its kinda hard to understand from the outside lookin in
hahah naw, im from 45 minutes where hyphys from player. i aint on the outside, when it was crackin hard in the O it was so in stockton. and of course it was a lifestyle 10 years ago. thats like nostrodaumus (sp?) making a janky "prediction", and then when somethin happens they try to fit it all together and say "he predicted that".

ok...you can say its a lifestyle, but thats for a very small population, you know god damn well most these cats (and yes, even in oakland) turned to the hyphy lifestyle after it was crackin. so to say as a whole its a lifestyle, your making the word lifestyle lose its value,lets see how long that lasts.the outside lookin in comment dont work player. you can say that for the whole "jerkin" shit, but be real here, stockton and oakland have a lot in common. there so close and so many people going back and fourth. the outside theory might work if i was way down in fresno or somethin.

and TC, your doin way too damn much with that yo. your diggin too deep tryna legitimize it...........

Jul 9, 2003
FUNNY HOW THIS WHOLE THING WENT FROM HOW EVERYONE FEELS ABOUT JERKIN TO IS HYPHY A LIFESTYLE OR NOT LOL ON THAT NOTE REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE HAS TO SAY HYPHY IS A DAMN LIFESTYLE NO MATER IF IS JUS BECAME ONE 4 YEARS AGO OR 30 YEARS AGO AND NOT ONLY IS IT A LIFESTYLE BUT ITS A MOVEMENT AS WELL
BACK TO JERKIN CANT REALLY SPEAK ON IT TOO MUCH JUS FROM WATCHIN A COUPLE PEOPLE DO IY WHICH BY THE WAY THAT CHICK IN THE VIDEO WAS HOOOORRIBLE!! I MEAN PEOPLE CAN LOOK AT DUDES SHAKIN DREADS AND PUSHIN AND THEY COULD BE SAYIN ALL THE SAME SHIT AND JERKIN AINT JUS A DANCE ITS ALSO A MOVEMENT JUS LIKE HYPHY WAS AND ITS BLOWIN UP WAY HARDER I SAY GIVE CREDIT WHEN CREDITS DUE ANND YESS IMMA JERK I ROCK COLORED SKINNY JEANS WIT MY HAT FLIPPED UP FEEL FREE TO HATE BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS!