How come no one wanna talk about quality of music when we ask why the Bay isnt on top

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK QUALITY IS A HUGE REASON WHY THE BAY ISNT ON TOP RIGHT NOW. WE HAVE A SHITLOAD OF RAPPERS IN THIS REGION, BUT HOW MANY REAL ARTISTS ARE OUT THERE? CATS ARE JUST SHITTING OUT ALBUM AFTER ALBUM, WHICH IS COOL, BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET THE SAME TOPICS, SAME STYLE OF RAPS, SAME STYLE OF BEATS, SAME FEATURES. YOU GET STUCK WITH MORE OF THE SAME. LOOK AT ANDRE3000, WHO CAME IN THE GAME AROUND THE SAME TIME AS A LOT OF THESE BAY CATS ON SOME STRAIGHT GANGSTA SHIT BUT HAS COMPLETELY EVOLVED HIS STYLE AS A MUSICIAN

A LOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE BROUGHT UP THE 90S. WELL IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AROUND HIPHOP HAS CHANGED DRASTICALLY SINCE THE 90S. IN THE 90S THE BAY FLOODED THE SCENE WITH RAW UNDERGROUND GANGSTA RAP. AND NOW IN THE 2000S PEOPLE ARE USING THE SAME EXACT FORMULA. OF COURSE HYPHY SWITCHED THINGS UP A BIT BUT THEN IT ALL ENDED UP SOUNDING THE SAME. HOW MANY SONGS CAME OUT IN THE PAST 4 YEARS WITH 'GO DUMB' OR 'GET STUPID' IN THE TITLE?

MIXING AND MASTERING, YEAH THEY HELP A LOT BUT IF YOU TRIP SOME OF THE DOPEST UNDERGROUND ALBUMS EVER WERE PUT OUT WITH LITTLE OR NO MASTERING DONE TO THEM AND THAT GIVES THEM A CERTAIN FEEL. BUT AT THE SAME TIME YOU CAN TELL WHEN SOME JUST DIDNT PUT ANY EFFORT INTO SOUND QUALITY BUT ONE REASON WHY I HAVE FOUND MYSELF LISTENING LESS AND LESS TO BAY RAP IS BECAUSE _EVERYONE_ IS RAPPING, BUT HOW MANY RAP CATS ARE REALLY SAYING SOMETHING? HOW MANY RAP CATS ARE SENDING A MESSAGE? HOW MANY RAP CATS ARE TRYING TO EXPRESS SOMETHING, TO DO SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT AND TO TOUCH PEOPLE THROUGH THEIR MUSIC? THE LIST OF THOSE IS SO SMALL I COULD PROBABLY COUNT THEM ON MY FINGERS.

BUT THEN ON THE OTHER HAND, I BE BUYING SOME OF THESE ALBUMS SOMETIMES AND WONDERING: HOW MANY OF THESE RAP CATS DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHAT THEY SAY AND ARE JUST TRYING TO GET SOME GUAP?
with this, the thread should now be closed. very well put.

Jan 18, 2006
How many times does it have to be said. Its not cuz of quality, its cuz the bay is over flooded with rappers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 22, 2003
I agree with this thread, if its not half ass rapping, its lousy mastering. I suggest you master your flows before putting down maybe verses in the studio, and compare your music to that which moves units, if you're in it for the money. If not have fun. Life is short, and you only live once. I used to wonder why the bay got hated on, but I think there is so much rivalry within, that people get turned off by all of the negativity. I you want make real dough, you have to be radio and club friendly period. Like I said, if you have the means to make music have fun. If you want people like me to hear it, then put in on itunes, because I don't buy new rap cd''s anymore, its too much of a gamble, especially at $10-$20 a piece. Some more food for thought...

"One cat said to the other cat. "What haven't we heard?"

Don't be afraid to come new, just be real about what you spit, even if your a studiogangster, just rap that you are a studio gangster, and come tight, and you never know, maybe people will respect you for it. In this age of information, you can't get away with artificial product for long. Anyways that was my two cents, maybe I'll come back in another two years, for some message board fun. One love to all the real cats, who ain't on some panty wearing contest type stuff. God bless US ALL.

Feb 1, 2006
rap isn't for everyone, it's a talent, not a skill. too many dudes out here think they can rhyme over a beat and make money. too many people are doing it for the money rather than the art.

Apr 7, 2004
you right the bay dont sell cuz niggas want to do everything in the garage or the room record mix and master and then be mad cuz you dont like it

our music is cool but the mixs be way below standard

RICKROSS SPENDIN MONEY ON A REAL MIX

YOU DO IT YOURSELF AND BE MAD CUZ YOU DONT GET PLAYED
This has to be your first non negative post and what u said is true cats need to record albums in studios and not in they house and pay to get yo shit mixed by the people that know what the hell they doin

Apr 28, 2003
My first joints from the bay was around E40, Spice 1, Totally Insane, 51.50, then came 11-5, 3xkrazy, and all those other kats in the mid to lake 90's. Then there was a shit load of compilations. I got the Rompulation, 4080 compilation... there was shit almost every couple weeks from the bay.
Notice that ALL of those albums and artist that came out around that time had REAL production done on their albums, and not the shitty, lazy ass keyboard beats, that make up most bay area (and mainstream) albums done today (It wasn't called the "golden era" of hip hop for nothing....). Back then you had REAL producers who would sit in the studio and record with an artist. Now days, you have lazy ass producers with simple beats and rappers who rush to put things out..which is pretty much a bad combination. It's like gambling when you go out to buy an album these days...

The mixing and mastering of albums have little to do with the quality of music. Shit, Wu-Tangs first album is basically "bootleg" quality, and that album is considered a to be "masterpiece" or classic.

Dec 29, 2004
tonka boys and cake and ice cream are BOTH solid !

i been a bay listener since like 1991 yo take it from me

if keak wanna put out 7 side albums to support his coke habit thats fine cuz when Deified (the official album) dropped it was fire
stopped reading after that, both albums were weak as fuck........

Apr 25, 2002
Notice that ALL of those albums and artist that came out around that time had REAL production done on their albums, and not the shitty, lazy ass keyboard beats, that make up most bay area (and mainstream) albums done today (It wasn't called the "golden era" of hip hop for nothing....).
Dr. Dre is supposed to be doing Detox with live instruments. Thats takin it back. I think Too $hort used quite a bit of live music until the mid-90s. It would be refreshing to see producers start networking with musicians.