How come KMEL stopped playing local artists?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
Probly cuz bay rappers dont make hit songs. radio stations play songs the general public wanna hear so they can get listeners, not songs that will get 4 teenagers on the siccness 2 listen 2.

Feb 16, 2006
I guess but all big bay rappers today owe their success to radio. You think too short, E40 etc would be where they are now without the help of the OLD KMEL getting them shine? No
bullshit! you either a youngsta or a square or both. both of them niggas made they legends and had major label deals before they ever got real spins on kmel. they both made they names in the STREETS of the whole bay to where the radio had to fuck with them. and i guarantee frontline got more spins with that one joint than short ever had with any one song in his whole career on kmel. aint no short song ever got the amount of daily spins that erk or the team got. the difference is short was hood famous before the radio and them dudes became hood famous because of the radio

Jul 6, 2002
$o. $an Fran
Real talk it ain't about hit records. It's the fact that they play the same fuckin songs over and over. How hard is it to throw a different song in the mix. It's got to be about money. And I heard big Von is running things in KMEL now so I think he has a little say in what gets played and what don't.

Dec 9, 2003
bullshit! you either a youngsta or a square or both. both of them niggas made they legends and had major label deals before they ever got real spins on kmel. they both made they names in the STREETS of the whole bay to where the radio had to fuck with them. and i guarantee frontline got more spins with that one joint than short ever had with any one song in his whole career on kmel. aint no short song ever got the amount of daily spins that erk or the team got. the difference is short was hood famous before the radio and them dudes became hood famous because of the radio
you and doc are rite. them niggas is who they are because of us. I remember when short got no play back east. and I remember when he first got spun on kmel "life is too short!" and naw they didn't get the spins these new cats did but nobody did. I remember when you used to have to wait all day to hear your song. if you into this disco shit they play now you'll hear it er'y hour. my problem is kmel won't even play no classic mobb shit, or no up to day bay hits! just to fuse in with the lil wayne, jeezy, gucci and all that garbage they play. I think cmc did more to help 40 then kmel did. remember the "captain save a hoe" and "practice lookin hard" video's? I used to tape that shit back in the day.

Apr 19, 2005
www.SacTownRadio.com
Another 1 of these threads...if this was 2-3 years ago you had a point, and really had no other CHOICE but to listen to Terreristrial radio...if you wanna pay for radio then go with satellite radio..but it's 2010 and you have a choice, Internet Radio is the future and savior of the Independant artist.

Support Radio that supports the local artist, it's that plan and simple...you can bitch about it and talk about how much you hate radio but what are YOU doing to change the game? TUNE em out and TUNE in to SacTownRadio.com NOBODY plays more NEW Northern Cali Slaps then US. Don't let the name Fool ya, we are the REAL NORTHERN CALI PEOPLE'S STATION.

*REMEMBER SACTOWNRADIO.COM IS IPHONE FRIENDLY NO 3RD PARTY APPS NEEDED...JUST OPEN A BROWSER ON YOUR IPHONE GO TO SACTOWNRADIO.COM AND TAP ON THE ITUNES LINK...BUMP IT EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!