HOLYFIELD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 12, 2002
Tyson has always had a bad reputation for throwing forearms and elbows. Look back at his early fights before he fought Quick Tillis and even in the early fights the commentators speak on Tyson using elbows and forearms. I do think some of his shots are unintentional, and land when he is throwing hooks.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Dubd300M said:

Yes I am a boxing fan, a huge one, you're right Ruiz was throwing punches and then holding, but I'm not talkin about the broke nose in their 3rd fight, I'm talkin about their first one, watch it, Holyfield throws an elbow like he was throwing a punch. After that round Norm Stone, Ruiz trainer went billistic....and no, if someone was holding me in a boxing match i would not break the rules and throw an elbow, so be it if you like to break rules like that....thats on you. HOLYFIELD THROWS ELBOWS, watch the first fight with Ruiz, how bout this, after Ruiz knocked Holyfields ass and he went down, Holyfield got on and held on for dear life, running around the ring, he actually pinned Ruiz against the ropes and would not let him out, so Ruiz got on his knees and crawled under Holyfield, did you see Ruiz throw an elbow?? Didn't think so. And I never said Rahman was gettin hit, he was gettin nailed, but he didn't go anywhere, he would end up firing back. Watch the fight again, you'll see Holyfield get rocked with several shots and basically pause, even Foreman (who I can't stand) was saying it. Rahman just didn't follow up. Rahman was scared in this fight at all because of Lennox Lewis, you act like he hasn't been knocked out before, Oleg Maskaev knocked him out and he fell out the ring onto the table and broke it. And he came back in his next fight like it was all good. That Lewis knockout wasn't shit. I think if Rahman keeps workin with Bouie Fischer and fights Holyfield in a rematch, he has a good chance on winning. As long as he stays busy. You're right, Rahman is no Lewis or Tyson, but he's still a good fighter, start naming some other heavy's that could smash him? There's not many, he's a big boy who has a nice right hand.
I disagree with you. I didn't say it was cool to throw an elbow but it's a boxers instinct to use an elbow or forearm to "push" your opponent off of you if he keeps holding and clinching. I never said it was cool to throw an elbow but when and if a boxer uses his elbow or forearm to get his opponent off of him that's cool. I remember that second fight with Holyfield and Ruiz. Holyfield had Ruiz finished in the tenth but scary as Cortez called a perfectly left hook to the body and then a hook upstairs a low blow. And then deducted a point. Replays clearly shows that the so called low blow was borderline.

Man we must have been watching different fights. Holyfield did get caught with a few right hands but Holyfield was never rocked. Rahman was rocked plenty of times just check the stats. Holyfield landed over 50% of his power punches mayne. Holyfield caught Rahman with a right and it stunned Rahman. That fool had to reset his feet. He's still feeling those after shocks from Lennox's right hand. Trust me. Rahman isn't that good. He got knocked out from one single punch! And from the looks of things he was on his way to another as whippin' (he was behind 69-64 on the official scorecards and Holyfield out landed him in power punches). Rahman's only chance to beat Holyfield isn't good. Holyfield would have to get tired for Rahman to beat him. Holyfield has too many skills and experience for Rahman. All Rahman has is a right hand. That's it. And when he throws that right hand and miss he's wide open and that's where Holyfield takes advantage. Holyfield will whip Rahman again. Tyson or Lewis will KO him with no problem. Holyfield may not have enough power to KO him with one punch so he puts them together. I wish I knew because if there was a rematch we'd have a bet!

May 24, 2002
By the sounds of your first post it sounded like you were saying throw elbows, I agree they throw off with their shoulders, forearms etc...some more then others some a little harder, thats one of Trinidads favorite moves, he'll have u laying on his shoulder and push you off Real hard and throw the left hook. But anyways, when I said Holyfield was rocked I didn't mean he was woozy or about to fall, but he was hurt somewhat, after he got nailed with the shot he tried to get back in close and tie Rahman up, but if you look at my post you'll see that I expressed Rahman just didn't follow up, he landed some nice shots (granted not nearly as many as Holyfield I agree) but with as many shots as he took, he was only in serious trouble like once or twice. It was frustrating see Rock land somethin and then just stop. Kinda like how when Tua would get Lewis in the corner he wouldn't even throw a punch. Quoting you here "He got knocked out from one single punch!", what is the significance of that, if you watch the Lewis Rock fight, Lewis had a totally full swing and landed right on the chin, not many fighters could have taken that shot and not went down, Rocks chin was up and boom. Atleast he was getting up better then when Lewis got his ass knocked out by the one punch from Rock. But Tony, if they do have a rematch I would be interested in a friendly wager, I'm a honest person and I think it would be fun. I think Rock has the ability to win he just has to really stick with it and want it. Well I have to do some work....bye bye