HDMI Cables?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 15, 2005
Figured some of the gamers might have a decent eneetertainment system and know something about HDMI cables.

The stores sell 'em for $30, "certified".

Monoprice has em for $4, not certified. $20 for certified.

I've read that it would take a really nice/expensive system to tell the difference between good cables and great cables, thus just go with the cheap ones.

Anyone here know anything?

Aug 7, 2003
lol its a cable. all it does is transfer data through it. and hdmi has a standard. so its either going to work or not work. not 100% sure but i think a cheap one would be just as good as a expensive one.

May 9, 2002
fRESH88 said:
if u buy any cable under 50 bucks. its crap. buy somethin thats gonna last.
Youre an idiot.

hella_numb said:
lol its a cable. all it does is transfer data through it. and hdmi has a standard. so its either going to work or not work. not 100% sure but i think a cheap one would be just as good as a expensive one.
Youre not an idiot.

I got my HDMI cables from Newegg.com for $9...they work fine.

Jul 8, 2007
I Fucked Your Mom said:
Youre an idiot.

Youre not an idiot.

I got my HDMI cables from Newegg.com for $9...they work fine.

ur an idiot. how would u know the difference from a good 50 dollar cable from a 9 dollar cable if uve never owned both. i have. ive seen the difference. one transfers faster then the other to make the picture look more crisp. the wires inside the crappy cables arent sturdy. u bend the cable a lot, the wiring snaps inside. like i said...ur an idiot.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
No, let me back up Jesse and repeat, You're an idiot!".

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=828972#M828972 said:
"Question: Is there any difference between a cheap (i.e. $10 HDMI cable) and an expensive (i.e. $150 HDMI cable)???"

I have an EE degree. I work as a broadcast engineer. I live and breath digital and analog signals every day. So yes, you could say I'm qualified to give the answer to this question...

That answer is, "No, an expensive HDMI cable will make NO difference in the quality of your picture OR sound"

I'll give you the more complex reason first, then an analogy... Hopefully one will make sense...
If you don't want all the real technical stuff, just skip down to B for a real simple explaination...

A) Wires send electrical signals... Plain and simple. Anything sent over a wire is ultimately just a voltage/current applied to that cable. Let's say we're talking about an analog video signal that's 1 volt peak to peak... In other words, measuring from the LOWEST voltage to the HIGHEST voltage will give a result of 1 volt... With an analog signal you have "slices" of time that are "lines" of signal... It's too complex to go into here, but basically you have a "front porch" which is known as the "setup"... This is what helps your tv "lock onto" and sets the "black level" for the signal. After that you've got each line of the image (455 half cycles per line). Again I won't go into how chromanance (color information) and luminance (picture or brightness information) is combined, seperated, etc.. It's too complex for this discussion, but irregardless, just know that following that porch you've got all the lines of the picture (and some that don't show up on the picture... these carry closed captioning, test signals, etc...). All of these "lines" of information when you look at them on a scope look like this...

That waveform is all of that information in analog form... In other words, if you look at one VERY SMALL timeslice of that waveform, the EXACT position of the form (i.e. what voltage is present) represents what information is at that position...

Because of this, it's VERY EASY for other radiated signals to get "mixed in" with that information. When this happens, the more "noise" you get mixed into the signal, the more degraded the picture will be... You'll start to get snow, lines, weird colors, etc... Because "information" is getting into the waveform that doesn't belong there...

With digital however, (i.e. the signal sent over an HDMI cable), the information is encoded differently... At it's lowest level, it's nothing but a string of bits... In other words, each signal is either ON or OFF... It doesn't care if a particular timeslice is 4.323 volts or 4.927 volts... It's just ON... See on the right side here, the "square wave" pattern?

That's what a digital signal looks like... For each "slice" of the signal, the "bit" is either on (if the signal is high) or off (if it's low)...

Because of that, even if you mix some noise, or even a LOT of noise into the signal, the bit will STILL be on or off... It doesn't matter...

Now, for a slightly easier to understand analogy...

B) Think of it this way... Let's say you have a ladder with 200 steps on it... An "analog" signal represent information by WHICH step the person is on at a certain time. As you move further and further away (get "noise or interference in the signal), it's very easy to start making mistakes... For example, if the person is on the 101st step, you might say he's on 102nd, or as you get further away, you might start making more and more mistakes... At some point you won't know if the person is on the 13th step or the 50th step....

NOW... In a digital signal, we don't care if he's on the 13th or 14th or 15th step... All we care about is rather he's at the TOP or the BOTTOM... So now, as we back you up further and further (introduce more noise), you might have no idea what STEP he's on, but you'll STILL be able to tell if he's a "1" or a "0"...

THIS is why digital signals aren't affected by cheaper cables, etc... Now eventually if you keep moving further and further back, there may come a point where you can no longer tell if he's up or down... But the good news is, digital signals don't "guess"... If they SEE the signal, they work... If they DON'T, they DON'T.. LOL

So if anyone ever tells you they can "see the difference" between HDMI cables, etc... You can knowingly laugh to yourself and think about how much money the poor sole wasted on something that was pointless.

Now, I've seen others say that they make a difference in audio... ALL audio carried over HDMI is STILL in digital format... So again, since it's a digital signal, it will not make ANY difference at all....

I've also seen various posts in regards to things like "Make sure you get a v1.3 cable"... The various HDMI versions determine the capabilities of the DEVICES on either end of that cable (most of the HDMI versions (other then 1.0 to 1.1) have to do with AUDIO and how many channels / type of audio are carried...) Because of this, the cable itself is NO DIFFERENT... It's just marketing that some companies charge more for a "v1.3" cable then a "v1.1" cable, etc... The cables themselves will work now and WELL into the future for any other HDMI versions that come along the way....

So there you have it... Hopefully it's clear enough to understand and hopefully it will help prevent a few posts...

May 3, 2002
yeah that monoprice is legit.. bought 3 heavy duty HDMI with the neting for like $5 each and they've been perfect.. Don't fall for high priced cables, especially when it comes to HDMI, because anything from Monoprice, newegg, ect. is good enough.

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
fRESH88 said:
if u buy any cable under 50 bucks. its crap. buy somethin thats gonna last.

Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. Some other wise guy told you monster cables are the best! Yeah if you dont spend $100 on an HDMi cable, it isnt good.

That is a bunch of BS.

I have a super cheap HDMI cable that looks just as good as more exspensive HDMI cbales on the same TV and same cable service.

I have used cheap ass bulk DirecTV component cables they ship with thier High def receivers and more exspensive component cables and it looked just as good.

I have used $50 speaker wire (my step dad lives by it) and cheap ass wal-mart $5.99 speaker wire and my shit sounds the same.

People need to invest in more quality EQUIPMENT versus "higher quality" cables and wiring.

Using the same cheap ass wiring and the same speakers I went from a 100 watt per channel JVC receiver to a 45 watt per channel harman kardon receiver and I will never again buy some cheap ass home theatre in abox receiver.

enserio said:
Figured some of the gamers might have a decent eneetertainment system and know something about HDMI cables.

The stores sell 'em for $30, "certified".

Monoprice has em for $4, not certified. $20 for certified.

I've read that it would take a really nice/expensive system to tell the difference between good cables and great cables, thus just go with the cheap ones.

Anyone here know anything?

Just go with the cheap shit. I wish I hadnt spent so much money on my HDMI cable. I paid like 20 some odd dollars since it was on clearance and I used employee discount. I wish I would have paid $4 for an HDMI cable. I will be ebuying next one from places like that though

May 9, 2002
fRESH88 said:
ur an idiot. how would u know the difference from a good 50 dollar cable from a 9 dollar cable if uve never owned both. i have. ive seen the difference. one transfers faster then the other to make the picture look more crisp. the wires inside the crappy cables arent sturdy. u bend the cable a lot, the wiring snaps inside. like i said...ur an idiot.
You have been owned by 3 people in this thread. Please exit stage left...with your tail tucked, young buck...thanks for playing.

You are dimissed.

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
I Fucked Your Mom said:
You have been owned by 3 people in this thread. Please exit stage left...with your tail tucked, young buck...thanks for playing.

You are dimissed.

fRESH88 said:

That is one of the funniest tings I have read on the internet in awhile.

snapping wiring inside....bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I have had some of the most tangled wiring I have ever seen in my life. i had to man handle it to get it loose and why did my shit still look the same. According to you, my cheap wiring should have "snapped"

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jul 8, 2007
my counter argument is u like to blow the guys at best buy to get ur facts. im not gonna argue it cuz i know a 10 dollar cable wont last as long a high quality one. simple as that.

May 9, 2002
fRESH88 said:
my counter argument is u like to blow the guys at best buy to get ur facts. im not gonna argue it cuz i know a 10 dollar cable wont last as long a high quality one. simple as that.
Well, go ahead and spend $50+ on cables like a complete fuckin moron,while the rest of us who have at least a half of a brain will spend a 1/4 of that and get the EXACT same thing.

Good luck in life...if you cant even understand this simple concept, only "god" knows what else you might struggle with in lie.:ermm:

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
I Fucked Your Mom said:
Good luck in life...if you cant even understand this simple concept, only "god" knows what else you might struggle with in lie.:ermm:
Well he did get "let go" today hahahahaha. And I buy brand name cables usually, but at no name prices.

May 3, 2002
fRESH88 said:
Do you work for Best buy? :ermm: