Ha they hosed the Angels

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
it looked like the catcher caught the ball. then the ump called him out twice and they still let him be safe at first.

Apr 25, 2002
EDIT

That looks like the right call... There was a change in direction and it looks like the ball hit the ground between frames on the replay.

Apr 25, 2002
Yeah but what he did with his hand was his strike call from what I understand... Not an out call... I think that's what he was saying after the game anyway. Either way Josh Paul shouldn't have rolled the ball back without hearing the "out" called verbally. I saw the replay hella times right after the game on ESPN.

Jun 18, 2004
Ball was caught on the fly...period. The craziest shit to me was the press conference witht the umps afterwards. I've never seen that shit before. I don't think replay belongs in baseball. I think the umpire having the final word, and the blown calls are a sacred part of the game. Without that who would the managers and players argue with? And, would you be down with a 4+ hr. game every game...just my opinion.

May 5, 2002
yea that was fuckin crazy.. regaurdless he should have tagged him or thrown to first if he didnt hear an "out" call... i keep watchin the replay and i onlyu see his glove touch the dirt

May 6, 2002
Josh Paul should have thrown to first. Anything but toss it back in the dirt and walk away.

Sometimes you can't prevent bad calls, but this one we could have.

Look how we handled them in Chicago. We are comming back to Anaheim and they will be OWNED, and Sox fans know it deep down.

Apr 25, 2002
Go to MLB.com and you can see it there... Put it on Full Screen and click the bar so it repeats that one part where he catches the ball... You can see the ball change direction after it hits the ground... It bounces up into his mitt... I thought it was a bad call at first but it was the right call. It was a bad play by Josh Paul to roll the ball back without hearing the ump say "out," I doubt either of the Molinas would have done that.

Feb 12, 2004
I KNEW HE SHOULD OF TAGGED PIERZYNSK A SPLIT SECOND AFTER I SAW THE PITCH END UP WHERE IT DID. THIS IS THE TYPE OF SHIT THAT TURNS A SERIES AROUND IN A BIG WAY. IM ROOTIN FOR THE ANGELS SO I HOPE THEY JUST FORGET ABOUT IT AND PLAY BALL!!

May 6, 2002
Agree with the two posts above me.

Josh Paul could have prevented that, but he didn't. White Sox won, plain and simple.

We just need to forget about the game, and come heated on Friday. Even with that being said, I will feel some sort of a redemption if we seriously crush the Sox in game 3 (no animosity towards Sox fans).

May 3, 2002
After that bad call by the ump I jus fuckin knew that tha next batter would win it............... shiet jus happens like that.................. kinda like tha fan catch with the cubs and then tha series gets twisted around b-cause sum bonehead call like that............... I bet tha ump was like........ "please get tha next guy out" and then BAM!!!! contraversey

Aug 8, 2002
www.techn9nehq.com
Josh Paul trapped the ball, period.

No blown call. No blame on anyone but Josh Paul, a 3rd string catcher, not having his head in the game and the mindstate to tag the batter. You're taught in little league for every low pitch in the dirt or close to the dirt that you tag the batter. Not ASSUME the umpire knows you caught it cleanly. If you assume things you leave room for error. The umpire gave his swinging strike sign and never verbally said "OUT". AJ noticed Paul didnt tag him and he took 1st.

NO reason to blame anyone but Josh Paul for not having his head in the game.

I hope the Angels let this affect them so much that they go into the tank and Sox take the next 3 games and Angel fan bitches about this call for 50 years like Cards fans bitch about the Don Denkinger call in the '85 series.

Mar 16, 2005
G-Dubb said:
Yeah but what he did with his hand was his strike call from what I understand... Not an out call... I think that's what he was saying after the game anyway. Either way Josh Paul shouldn't have rolled the ball back without hearing the "out" called verbally. I saw the replay hella times right after the game on ESPN.
That's what I am saying. If you don't hear out and you see the guy running to first...throw the damn ball and cry about AFTER the out. If you are in the pros you should know better to watch until you hear and see out called. No excuses!!! Maybe they did blow the call, but they didn't force the players to make the bad play....AND if they would have taken care of business the next play still would not have been an issue. This brings me back to that Stve Bartman guy in Chicago....everyone blamed him, yet it was only a foul ball...there was still half an inning they could have got 1 more out but they didn't. Angels fans stop crying and get on your team for not playing until the end!!

Oh yeah I am not even a CWS fan....lol

Go national League!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 29, 2004
That ump closed his fist like he'd done on every other strike out all night. Josh Paul is a professional if he'd thought for one second he didn't catch that ball he would have applied the tag, you think he's going to risk losing the game trying to sneak by a ball in the dirt when it is so simple to just tag the batter out? that was bull shit at its highest form there....

Apr 25, 2002
Hoosier said:
That ump closed his fist like he'd done on every other strike out all night. Josh Paul is a professional if he'd thought for one second he didn't catch that ball he would have applied the tag, you think he's going to risk losing the game trying to sneak by a ball in the dirt when it is so simple to just tag the batter out? that was bull shit at its highest form there....
It doesn't matter what Josh Paul THINKS, it matters what the umpire thinks. If Escobar throws an 0-2 pitch right over the plate and the ump calls it a ball, it doesn't mean Josh Paul rolls the ball to the mound because HE thinks it's strike 3, what the ump says goes whether it's a blown call or not.

As for the closed fist, Paul had his back to the ump the entire time and didn't see it anyway. Paul had no excuse for doing that.