gone abroad?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 31, 2002
i think understanding race relations in other countries helps us understand the intricacies of race relations here. of course, this is my ish, so that's my thesis in life. I went to Brazil this winter and saw how things are both better and worse here as far as race relations go. I would like to hear of the experiences of others who have travelled, and no i dont just mean canada and mexico......

Jul 31, 2002
if you have something REAL to say about Mexico, do it. i mean, frat boys go to mazatlan and think they got a clue. i already know bout that ish. so tell it.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Well, I wouldn't exactly compare myself to a fraternity member going to the beach for spring break. I've been going to Mexico at least once a year my whole life, and I've lived there for months at a time.

Anyways, Mexico is full of racism, mostly towards darker people and the Natives. It comes from the caste system in Spain that was brought to this country, along with Catholicism and other shit. It's just natural for people of lighter skin to be thought of as "better", and it's easy to tell these things by watching TV and Novelas and how they present the people; darker people are usually servants and don't typically play main roles. It's a terrible thing, but lots of racism exists in Mexico...

Jul 31, 2002
i'm glad u signed on to the convo. Novelas are like a plague to Mexican@s in the US and throughout latin america. the only time you see brown people is in a servant position. I wanted to open it up to cruiselines and the rest of the world too. Even in the US, as Victor Lewis said, you really need to check who the ni**as of your community are. who9 are yo9ur hotel maids and janitors. but really i saw such 'economic apartheid' in Brazil, it aint even funny. no poor white folk to be found in Salvador.

LISICKI

rosecityplaya
Dec 9, 2005
chiligrrl said:
i think understanding race relations in other countries helps us understand the intricacies of race relations here. of course, this is my ish, so that's my thesis in life. I went to Brazil this winter and saw how things are both better and worse here as far as race relations go. I would like to hear of the experiences of others who have travelled, and no i dont just mean canada and mexico......

you should go abroad and post in the Northwest forum sometime chili lol

Jul 31, 2002
umm i did post an adios in there. and i honestly have no clue who you are. :)
and yes i spent 2 months in Brazil this winter instead of freezing my ass off in this pit.

B-San

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
I been to Vietnam... The village I was stayin' - some of the old folks were talkin' ish to my gurl cuz she darker than the average... They think that living in America will automatically lighten your comlplexion... and were confused as to how she's darker than me but I'm supposed to be mei-dun (black) lol...

LISICKI

rosecityplaya
Dec 9, 2005
chiligrrl said:
umm i did post an adios in there. and i honestly have no clue who you are. :)
and yes i spent 2 months in Brazil this winter instead of freezing my ass off in this pit.

Link me to this so called adios and then google my name

Jul 31, 2002
sounds lkike a bunch of work. im pretty sure you can find the thread all by yourself. and why don't u google your name for me. lame. what were we talking about again? oh yeah.

So Oakland community organizer Victor Lewis says that you can tell who the N***s of any community are by looking at who are your service people. U know the folks who clean your motel room, etc. In less developed countries, service industry can be the main economic force. In Bahia, Brazil for instance there's doormen, taxi drivers, people who bring you beer on the beach, there IS no self-service laundrymat, most folks have maids, hookers everywhere... and guess what-all these people are black, or at least a good mix of it. I never had a white person wait on me in a restaurant, and I never once saw a poor white or even light person. I rode the bus and was almost always the lightest person on the bus. This has been described as "Economic Apartheid," and is visible in most developing countries in the western hemisphere where tourism is putting big bucks in the pocket of European and European American men and keeping all the dark people cleaning your cruise ship cabins and occasionally performing a little Samba or Merengue for you.

Fortunately Salvador has an awesome black love campaign that is extremely uplifting to the people, although i don't particularly see that Lula is making THAT big of a difference. Check this out from salvadornegroamor.com.br
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mV3ZXe8eCC8
lol i'm old school. how come i can't embed a video ? :(

People believe that justice is on the horizon there. Anyways, yea, examples like that is what i meant.

Apr 25, 2002
autistic said:
When I was in Havana there was very little racism happening there. Probably the most unracist place Ive been.

^^ I had the same experience. Though there is still racism, mostly in the form of economic racism because of dollar influence, the people seem to be actively attempting to confront and eliminate it. Where as other countries side step the issue or acknowledge the problem, but just shrug and say deal with it.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
chiligrrl said:
I plan on taking cultural anthropolgy in class this coming year. I really hope to touch on this subject alot when I do.

Unfortunately I have not traveld the WORLD at all. But I will say I have been to NY, DC, Texas, Chicago, and some other cities and see how different it is in those places. So I cant imagine how different it is in the World.

Jul 31, 2002
sim falo. mas falo portugues do brasil, e nao posso escrivir. eu aprende o melhor de meu portugues na praia, bebendo cervejas. a verdade e que as cervejas em Salvador sao o mas gelados do mundo. bwahaha. tenho uns links de hip hop brasileiro. voce quere?

(yea i dont type portuguese punctuation for shit)

Mar 4, 2006
chiligrrl said:
sim falo. mas falo portugues do brasil, e nao posso escrivir. eu aprende o melhor de meu portugues na praia, bebendo cervejas. a verdade e que as cervejas em Salvador sao o mas gelados do mundo. bwahaha. tenho uns links de hip hop brasileiro. voce quere?

(yea i dont type portuguese punctuation for shit)
Yeah I can translate that too. She says she went to Brazil so she could learn Portuguese, drink beer, and have threesomes with guys named Salvador that sell gelatos across the world while she plays Brazilian hip-hop.