Game makers strike back at used game market

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
Buying and selling used video games has become a fact of life for many consumers -- but if game publishers get their way, it's about to become a lot more difficult.

One 2009 estimate puts the size of the used game business at about $2 billion, representing about one-third of all annual game sales. That's a big deal, especially for market leader Gamestop, which is thought to get over 40% of its profits from reselling traded-in games. Major retail chains like Best Buy, Walmart, and Amazon have all dipped their toe in this lucrative market over the past year.

But while it's a serious earner for retailers, it's a complete bust for game publishers, who make nothing from secondhand sales of video games. They're looking for ways to get a piece of the pie -- or, failing that, to take the pie away altogether. Here's a few of the tactics they're using to make buying and selling used games harder for consumers.

Single-use download codes

Were you one of the millions who bought smash hit space opera Mass Effect 2 last month? If so, you probably noticed it came with a card bearing a code that gives the purchaser access to the game's online "Cerberus Network," containing all manner of downloadable goodies. Buy it used, though, and you'll have to pay a $15 fee first. Ouch.

Multiplayer restrictions

But those are extras, right? You can still play the game without the Cerberus Network, if you don't want to pay. Nobody's actually removing features from games for used purchasers, are they?

Actually, yes, they are. Just-released PSP shooter SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3, which proudly trumpets "a robust competitive multiplayer component...continuing the franchise’s tradition of unparalleled multiplayer gaming," requires buyers to register online before they can access its online modes -- and that's a one-time deal. Buy it used, and you'll have to fork over an additional $20 (which goes straight into the publisher's pocket) if you want to play online.

Digital distribution

Buying games through Xbox Live, the Playstation Network, Steam, or other download channels is convenient. It's quick, it's easy, and because your purchases are tied to your account (Xbox Live ID, Steam username, etc.), you can re-download them easily in the future. But what you gain in convenience, you lose in value: there's typically no way to transfer ownership of these games without giving up your whole account. Want to sell just one digitally-purchased game? Tough.

Limiting installs

Think you can avoid that by only buying physical copies of PC games? Not so. Take Spore, one of the best-selling titles of 2008: if you have a physical, boxed copy of the game, you can certainly resell it. But the buyer won't actually be able to install the game without the username and password originally used to register it. Don't have that? Better hope you can convince the seller to cough it up, or else you're out of luck.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/game-makers-strike-back-at-used-game-market/1390305

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
I support this 100%

Taking gamestop out of the equation would only vastly improve the video game industry.

I mostly import games, they typically cost between 70-80$, some over 100$. However I have no problem paying that because I know I'm getting a game I'll enjoy.

I think if developers were to get more out of their titles in terms of return, they would be more dedicated to create a superior product.

To be honest, I think the sale of used games on a RETAIL level should be illegal.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i feel you on that, but shit. money is stretched thin and if i can find a used game for like a third of the cost i'm buying it! when i buy a game i save extra throw away money for it. this will not make better quality games, all it will do is make them lazier because now they can sit back and take time with it.

i buy used games for not only the price but sometimes i cant find a sick ass game new at best buy anymore because its like 5 years old.

dont get me wrong though, in the past year or so i bought about 5 games new, pre-order status

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
yeah fuck this shit would be whack mother fuckers is already charging $10-15 for DLC for shit that was prolly already made before the game came out
that kind of pisses me off, BUT at the same time i can understand it because what if there wasnt enough room on the disc or if they added it from the get they would have to sacrifice with graphics or load times

Jan 18, 2006
Shit I find it to be a joke new games go for $60, till they stop selling games for that much I will continue to wait till they go down in price and get them for crackhead prices.

Jan 28, 2005
eh... if the original publisher can find some way to get a profit from the re-sale, I figure that would be fair considering Gamestop fucks you in the price. You can buy a game for $60, walk back in an hour later and they'll offer you $20 bucks, then re-sell that shit for $52.99.

Reality is gamers should just network and sell/trade their "used" games to other gamers. Fuck the middle man. Craigslist, Myspace groups, Facebook groups... auction that shit, whatever.

I haven't personally owned a game system since... PS2 I think. I'll play some Call of Duty or Nintendo Wii here or there, but I plan on picking up a PS3 soon and once winter hits I'll be back in the culture.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
greedy fucks, most of them are making shitty game now yet still want more money to produce garbage.. just like the music industry..

Dec 4, 2004
Don't they just sell used games at like $5 less than a new copy? And put that stupid sticker on it. I never buy used games cause I dont wanna risk getting a defective copy of a game.... Gamestop's policy used to be pretty open when it came to returning games or trading them in, now they suck. I always buy my games off Amazon...most times they give you $5-$20 off a future game purchase so it works out.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i like gamestop because for a couple bucks you can get a warrenty and if ANYTHING happen to it you can return it no questions. and ya, i hate buying a used game for like 5 bucks cheaper then it new but they have a seven day policy which i abuse the fuck out of

Aug 18, 2002
www.chalkbodyoutline.com
Thats bullshit, im not a hardcore gamer, just got PS2 about a year ago and me and my kids been enjoying all these old ass games for like $10 a pop. Shit they are new to us. I dont have the money right now for new system, peripherals and games.
Games need to be like CDs, resaleable so people can get ahold of out of copy classics.

Nov 14, 2002
Eliminating the used video game market will lead to an increase in people trading games, either in person or online. This kills revenue for not only places like EB/Gamestop, but also the game companies. If Gamestop isn't making used game revenue, then NOBODY makes that revenue. Gamestop is nearly the only fucking place to buy a video game unless you want to go to a huge-ass retail store.

If they start fucking with stores and the game content regarding "new/used" games, I will be buying a much smaller amount of games, which comes down to me buying less DLC.

I paid 2.99 for a mini game and some titty access in Saboteur for PS3 because I bought it used. I wasn't going to even keep the game longer than a week. I was going to return it and get the cash back after I beat it, but after paying a shitty 3 bucks, I decided to just keep it and 100% the game. So 3 bucks I spent on this DLC just to see titties cost Gamestop and a developer whatever they get for me throwing down 60 bucks for a new game that I have no option of returning if I don't like it.

Jan 9, 2009
I support this 100%

Taking gamestop out of the equation would only vastly improve the video game industry.

I mostly import games, they typically cost between 70-80$, some over 100$. However I have no problem paying that because I know I'm getting a game I'll enjoy.

I think if developers were to get more out of their titles in terms of return, they would be more dedicated to create a superior product.

To be honest, I think the sale of used games on a RETAIL level should be illegal.
everytime i see this guys video game posts i feel like im HELLA missin out on some cool japanese shit that i would totally dig.. lol

i need a Jap Games for Dummies crash course..

as far as gamestop fuckin up the industry. i agree. they are jews down there

Mar 16, 2005
they want more people to buy the game and not re-sell...stop making fucking sequels every 10-12 months then. why the fuck should I pay $60 for a game when its obsolete in less then 300 days with a newer version? they should be happy people sell to used game stores so we can buy the newest version.

they try to stop the selling of used games it will only lead to less people buying newest version.